CWS Game 14: Texas vs Mississippi State - super elimination edition

immamac

Losing the 1st one is just so brutal.  Pushing them to the limit after that is nothing to hang your head about.

That 1st game man...the bats not showing up ready, a leadoff walk, and a misplayed pop fly down the line.  The margins are so slim.

• Hook 'Em 2

I think that pinch runner for MSU hasn't been vaccinated ;) 

Shitty ending for one of the all-time great Longhorn teams.  25 years of deeply following UT baseball with season tickets and four Omaha trips...this was the best Longhorn team to not win it all that I've ever seen.  Sorry fellas for how it ended.  No reason this team needs to wait 3 years to get back though.  They should be back there in 50 weeks time.  

1 minute ago, Mo Horn said:

When you go through the losers bracket you just have to use too many pitchers. Just ran out of arms. Good season. 

That’s not remotely what happened. We had plenty of arms we just chose, two days in a row, to leave someone in too long 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Welp. Fuck.

Pretty good season, yet I still feel unfulfilled.

That’s being a Texas fan. Nothing but all of it matters.  But we had a hell of a week watching this team grind with the best of them. CWS is the best sporting event and it’s an amazing experience to watch Texas run.  We will be back, we will win it all, it’s what we do. We will never be the “could this year be our year team” we are still The University of Texas at Omaha. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Cajun said:

No.  He needs to hear it and he needs to change, but firing him would be monstrously idiotic.

Agreed. I’ve come around on him a lot this season but he still makes routine mistakes that the greats just didn’t. He needs to fix it but he needs to stay.

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

That’s not remotely what happened. We had plenty of arms we just chose, two days in a row, to leave someone in too long 

We had no one in the bullpen other than CQ, you want to put in fucking gordon?

Just now, WBT said:

You run out of arms when you're in the losers bracket you mouth breathers.  If we pull Stevens earlier, Quintanilla eventually gives up a run or has to be pulled before the 9th and then....?

Do you really think we didn’t have more arms? Know how I know you haven’t watched this team all year?

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

This was an offensively inadequate team. Yet we had some scrap that I haven't seen in a long time.

I don't know what to make of Pierce.  I think he should let the PC make the calls on pitching, though.  And stop coaching third.

this.  Pierce is OK but our hitting needs to improve big time. 

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

Agreed. I’ve come around on him a lot this season but he still makes routine mistakes that the greats just didn’t. He needs to fix it but he needs to stay.

Yep.  He's still learning, which is a bit disconcerting, but the dude has built this program back big time.  Some of his behaviors need to change and if they don't then I will join in on the "get rid of him" chorus.

1 minute ago, WBT said:

You run out of arms when you're in the losers bracket you mouth breathers.  If we pull Stevens earlier, Quintanilla eventually gives up a run or has to be pulled before the 9th and then....?

We have lots of pretty good arms.  Would they save the day?  Who fucking knows.  

But he left two pitchers in too long, one way too long.