CWS Game 14: Texas vs Mississippi State - super elimination edition

immamac

Just now, Cairn Horn88 said:

aggy on texags being so humble:

"I think they were just fine, but to an extent they "Big 12'd" their way to a gaudy record and a great RPI. The 5-6 record vs. the SEC was good, but they lost to some baaaad teams - BYU, Houston, A&M, WVU (x2) - along the way. They were handed possibly the easiest regional and definitely got the easiest super regional.

Great season, no doubt, but they caught break, after break, after break all season long."

Fuck you aggy.

They always I mean always have a twister game of excuses going on over there. I almost feel sorry for them. No actually I don’t. They are complete imbeciles. 

• Like 1

Just now, ztejas said:

Lmfao. I've never pretended to know more about soccer or baseball than plenty of folks here. Especially baseball. But you have completely moved the goalposts from your initial take about our bullpen. Just like you move goalposts in any NBA discussion. 

jennifer lawrence ok GIF

Oh, what was my initial take on our bullpen? Was I talking about how great our bullpen was or was I talking about not making excuses for bad management?

These teams were pretty even.  They got a couple more clutch hits and a few more bounces than we did.  Could have very easily gone the other way if a couple more bounces go our way.  We had a top 5 club. That will work.  We played clean baseball all year and we were fun to watch.  I like our approach at the plate except we don’t spoil enough 2 strike pitches on the black. Something to work on for next year.   Gonna need to find another starter and a develop a couple more guys in the pen.  Gotta find someone to replace Antico.  He was the engine of the offense more times than not.  Great season.  Solid job by the coaches.  A big 12 title and a CWS to remember. Hook em. 

Edited by ClubWhatever
  • Hook 'Em 3

Great season for the Horns! It definitely gives the returning players a taste of what it’ll take to get to the final series.

Recruiting should get a spark for those on the fence deciding on draft or college. Proud of the fight in this team all season, especially after the early season weekend in Arlington.

Hook’em to those leaving for a chance to get to The Show! Hook’em also to those that are returning, following a week to let this season sink in, then the off-season preparations start in July.

TEXAS FIGHT!

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

"I think they were just fine, but to an extent they "Big 12'd" their way to a gaudy record and a great RPI. The 5-6 record vs. the SEC was good, but they lost to some baaaad teams - BYU, Houston, A&M, WVU (x2) - along the way. They were handed possibly the easiest regional and definitely got the easiest super regional.

Great season, no doubt, but they caught break, after break, after break all season long."

Fuck you aggy.

They forgot the part where we took 2 out 3 from  the former employer of their new coach.   But aggy.  

4 minutes ago, troph said:

I still can’t pull for the core SEC teams I’m sorry. 

How is Vandy not core?

Anyway it doesn't matter what we want. Either way it sucks. Just super baseball dynasty Vandy is worse. Same reason I was glad Florida beat LSU.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Valmy77 said:

How is Vandy not core?

Anyway it doesn't matter what we want. Either way it sucks. Just super baseball dynasty Vandy is worse. Same reason I was glad Florida beat LSU.

Academics better not as many mouth breathers. Still racist as fuck but not Bama ole miss Arkansas LSU bad. Just how I see it. 

36 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

Anybody wanting to fire Pierce is being an emotional woman. None of ya know the bigger plan or who he doesn't trust in the clutch. 

If we had won, we would have done it with a doubled hit count. That's not going to get it done.

I'm cheering for Vandy. I'm sick of pretenders who think they can put the horns down in our face. Very few teams can get away with that shit.

11 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

Great season for the Horns! It definitely gives the returning players a taste of what it’ll take to get to the final series.

Recruiting should get a spark for those on the fence deciding on draft or college. Proud of the fight in this team all season, especially after the early season weekend in Arlington.

Hook’em to those leaving for a chance to get to The Show! Hook’em also to those that are returning, following a week to let this season sink in, then the off-season preparations start in July.

TEXAS FIGHT!

My mistake.

Edited by ztejas

Harping on Pierces coaching should largely focus on the bunts. We bunted 3 times. It resulted in nothing except 3 free outs. It saved Bednar and Sims pitches. It shortened the game for them.

It was reasonable to leave Tristan in for the 6th. Maybe left him in a batter too long but that dude did not hit it well. He battled the first hitter well and wasn’t dominated by the next two. If he gets thru the 6th, Cole has a better chance of surviving that 9th.

In the last 3 games, we could have created more separation to allow flexibility and use some arms that you don’t know what you’re getting. Too few key hits though. We gave up too many outs.

Now last night he left Witt in way too long given his previous outing. But if he got out of that inning, we might have had Nixon tonight so running him back out was not the issue. It was leaving him in once he lost it. And we wouldn’t have had Quintanilla tonight if you ran him out there.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

No my solution was do what we did before Tristan put multiple guys on base and not give our coach a fake excuse for not making a change. Which is the point I’ve been making this entire time.

Okay, okay, you’re right so you go to Cole earlier I got it yeah that makes sense. I bet you have no idea that tonight was Cole’s longest outing of the season. This entire game was going to be asking guys to potentially go out and do things they hadn’t all season. 

Tristan was at 72 pitches, yes they had hit him around, no he wasn’t missing bats (partially because he pitches to contact), he is the best pitcher on the team at inducing a ground ball. Guess what, he got one, and like all of us watched it bounce over Cam Williams head. He tried to get one last double play out of his ground ball sinker ball starter so that he wasn’t asking Cole to attempt to go out and do something he hadn’t done all year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

jennifer lawrence ok GIF

Oh, what was my initial take on our bullpen? Was I talking about how great our bullpen was or was I talking about not making excuses for bad management?

You were advocating throwing guys in that haven't done shit all year. No one or their mom would argue that Pierce didn't leave Stevens in too long. 

I was in Omaha last weekend. I ran into a couple of MSU drunkard shit talkers but they were fine for the most part in my experience. They really traveled and represented. They want it  bad.

Good season for Texas and I’m glad we showed heart after that disappointing first game. Two good squads.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chase25 said:

Okay, okay, you’re right so you go to Cole earlier I got it yeah that makes sense. I bet you have no idea that tonight was Cole’s longest outing of the season. This entire game was going to be asking guys to potentially go out and do things they hadn’t all season. 

Tristan was at 72 pitches, yes they had hit him around, no he wasn’t missing bats (partially because he pitches to contact), he is the best pitcher on the team at inducing a ground ball. Guess what, he got one, and like all of us watched it bounce over Cam Williams head. He tried to get one last double play out of his ground ball sinker ball starter so that he wasn’t asking Cole to attempt to go out and do something he hadn’t done all year. 

I do know that tonight was Cole’s longest outing. Who cares? Play to win not play for tomorrow. Leaving Tristan in because you’re worried we might run out of pitching later in the game is dumb. He was done. We didn’t react. People now make excuses for why. The excuses are bullshit

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You were advocating throwing guys in that haven't done shit all year. No one or their mom would argue that Pierce didn't leave Stevens in too long. 

No actually I wasn’t. I was advocating not making excuses. The first post I made on this topic was in response to multiple post making that excuse for why Tristan was left in

Edited by hobbes2702

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Definitely rooting for Vanderbilt here.  But I probably won’t watch.  I just don’t want to look at any more people from Mississippi on TV. 

Don't watch. It is going to be a celebration of everything SECSECSEC. It will be insufferable.

If you told me after the first icepocalyse weekend that this team would win the big 12 and lose in the 9th inning of the deciding game to the cws final, i'd told you that you are full of shit.

Bummed about the game but happy as shit for the guys. Here's to a great season.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

i'm guessing he didn't walk the guy because he was a replacement and hadn't seen cole yet.  I still walk him.  his run doesn't matter and it sets up a double play.

He didn't walk him because he's a terrible hitter and you think you can strike him out.  No way you walk him to face the top of their order.

Edited by WBT
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hammerin Hank said:

Fuck all this bullshit blaming the pitching and/or coaching. We lost because we only got 4 hits and they got 11 hits. Tough to win that way 

well yeah this.  hitting against even very good pitching has been tough.  Its been a problem with Pierce so far(sans Kody video game mode).  Its what kept us from winning it all this year.  we had the pitching and the D to do it.

7 minutes ago, chase25 said:

It was pretty obvious he was trying to stretch it - to your very point - and I was fine with two baserunners for that very reason. He did go one too many. He’s done that twice down the stretch. His Omaha experience is growing, I think he’ll get there. 

15 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Fuck you aggy.

If we caught a break, I wonder how they feel about Vandy advancing by beating half of NC State's team, then not even having to face them again at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

I actually finished at McNeese State. Married, after the Army, and going to school in Austin, my wife’s court reporting job moved us to Lake Charles, so as a “poor college student”, I had to follow the wife and finish my last two years at McNeese.

I’ve been a Longhorn fan since I knew what sports were as a child. It didn’t matter the sport, male or female, if they were wearing Burnt Orange! My Father played for Coach Royal from 60-63, yes, that 1963!

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, crash_davis said:

If you told me after the first icepocalyse weekend that this team would win the big 12 and lose in the 9th inning of the deciding game to the cws final, i'd told you that you are full of shit.

Bummed about the game but happy as shit for the guys. Here's to a great season.

We are always tough to beat. That will continue to be the case (if not more so) going forward. We will continue to play and expand our legacy in Omaha at a level others will never experience. Hook’em bitches. 

• Hook 'Em 3