CWS Game 14: Texas vs Mississippi State - super elimination edition

immamac

5 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Harping on Pierces coaching should largely focus on the bunts. We bunted 3 times. It resulted in nothing except 3 free outs. It saved Bednar and Sims pitches. It shortened the game for them.

It was reasonable to leave Tristan in for the 6th. Maybe left him in a batter too long but that dude did not hit it well. He battled the first hitter well and wasn’t dominated by the next two. If he gets thru the 6th, Cole has a better chance of surviving that 9th.

In the last 3 games, we could have created more separation to allow flexibility and use some arms that you don’t know what you’re getting. Too few key hits though. We gave up too many outs.

Now last night he left Witt in way too long given his previous outing. But if he got out of that inning, we might have had Nixon tonight so running him back out was not the issue. It was leaving him in once he lost it. And we wouldn’t have had Quintanilla tonight if you ran him out there.

Bunting is always controversial.

It wasn't controversial with Garrido until the end stage, when no one could hit, making it a wasted out.  Garrido thought it was good team psych to ask the best hitter on the team to bunt, and he did it with some frequency.  It only became futile when the lineups were so completely devoid of hitting prowess.

I don't know that Pierce holds to the same philosophy.  It kind of seems like he just does the standard bunt with man on first no outs.

I think Pierce is more aware of our offensive struggles that Garrido was (weirdly), so it seems like until we get a pretty solid lineup, bunting should be the exception rather than the rule.

4 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

I actually finished at McNeese State. Married, after the Army, and going to school in Austin, my wife’s court reporting job moved us to Lake Charles, so as a “poor college student”, I had to follow the wife and finish my last two years at McNeese.

I’ve been a Longhorn fan since I knew what sports were as a child. It didn’t matter the sport, male or female, if they were wearing Burnt Orange! My Father played for Coach Royal from 60-63, yes, that 1963!

Dude... not questioning your credentials. I seriously mistook you for another poster. I'm a few beverages in right now.

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It wasn't controversial with Garrido until the end stage, when no one could hit, making it a wasted out.  Garrido thought it was good team psych to ask the best hitter on the team to bunt, and he did it with some frequency.  It only became futile when the lineups were so completely devoid of hitting prowess.

I don't know that Pierce holds to the same philosophy.  It kind of seems like he just does the standard bunt with man on first no outs.

I think Pierce is more aware of our offensive struggles that Garrido was (weirdly), so it seems like until we get a pretty solid lineup, bunting should be the exception rather than the rule.

To be fair by the time Augie needed to be aware he was way past his prime. 

Yeah, you guys are salty as hell.  Leiter and Rocker are gonna be tough, though.
Salty how. Given you guys all the respect in the world. But look we ain't Johnny come lately. Do we have the titles you do? Nope. But this is not our first rodeo.

Sorry we didn't bow down and pave the road to the championship for ya bud.

#HailState

1 minute ago, troph said:

To be fair by the time Augie needed to be aware he was way past his prime. 

Such a strange thing.  The only thing I know about it is that Garrido was not involved in recruiting, going way back.  So he was apparently always reliant on Harmon and then Nicholson to bring in the talent.  It worked until it didn't.

Just now, msudawg said:

Salty how. Given you guys all the respect in the world. But look we ain't Johnny come lately. Do we have the titles you do? Nope. But this is not our first rodeo.

Let's not squander all the recent goodwill with some unnecessary flexing. Do better, dawg.

• Hook 'Em 1

A&M loves you all though.

So much truth in this simple statement. They really have bought in. It’s like that dorky little kid you let come play football with you on the playground because your mom would bitch you out for being mean if you didn’t. You just tell him to go long every play for 2 hours and never look at him once.

41 minutes ago, DeadArmadillo said:

Terrible for the Horns to be knocked out by the Fightin’ Texas Aggies. And then to have to watch them battle Texas A&M to see who wins their 13th National Championship? Must be tough

I thought they were the Texum Bulldogs or somesuch

1 minute ago, msudawg said:

#HailState

Salty as in really good. Tough. Gamers.

So he was complementing your team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, msudawg said:

#HailState

I mean a salty team, not the latter-day urban expression.  It was a compliment.

• Like 1

#HailState

Since when has being known as a salty team been an insult?
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

So much truth in this simple statement. They really have bought in. It’s like that dorky little kid you let come play football with you on the playground because your mom would bitch you out for being mean if you didn’t. You just tell him to go long every play for 2 hours and never look at him once.

Oh yeah. Even when we finish #3 in the country and they suck shit they can smugly claim victory because SECSECSEC.

It is a dream come true really. All they ever really wanted.

Edited by Valmy77

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

it was bats not pitching. all weekend, making shit harder by watching known strikes go by. swing the fucking bat and we might have won

Eh. It wasn't bats yesterday. Tonight we gifted them at least one run by leaving Stevens in.

But our staff is young - as are a lot of our hitters. Next year was always the one that should be circled. This year would have been icing on the cake. We'll be back. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, msudawg said:

#HailState

Reading comp hard for you bro? He was complementing you. 

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Oh yeah. Even when we finish #3 in the country and they suck shit they can smugly claim victory because SECSECSEC.

It is a dream come true really. All they ever really wanted.

this.  its their chance to be in the cool kids club.  they couldn't believe when they got the invite. they are exactly the same in every sport as they were in the big 12.  extremely average.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Eh. It wasn't bats yesterday. Tonight we gifted them at least one run by leaving Stevens in.

But our staff is young - as are a lot of our hitters. Next year was always the one that should be circled. This year would have been icing on the cake. We'll be back. 

Antico and Warren are going to be tough to replace but everything else looks OK.

13 minutes ago, msudawg said:

#HailState

Titles? You don’t have A title. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Fuck A&M with a rusty iron rod up the ass.

#HailState

That a boy. My aggy FIL was so happy for an all SEC final and beating the “sips” while doing it.

Btw, have a lot of family that went to MSU and some still lives in StarkVegas.

Nice win. Good luck vs Vandy.
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Salty as in really good. Tough. Gamers.

So he was complementing your team.

17 minutes ago, troph said:

Reading comp hard for you bro? He was complementing you. 

Learn to take a complement. TwiceHorn and MSU baseball go together like fish 'n chips.

Edited by Voluminous Banality

There is no reason in the world to even mention aggy when it comes to collegiate athletics. I get that it’s humorous to fuck with them, (and like everyone I do my share, like this post) but it sometimes just gets redundant discussing one of the most pathetic and underachieving athletic programs in existence. Just mentioning them gives them more publicity and exposure than they can earn on their own. If they ever did win/accomplish anything on their own of slightest importance it would be a fluke and an outlier of magnitude. They have zero skins and negative credibility. Let ‘em continue their Jonestown loser existence and continue to be delusional voices in the wind.

• Like 2

I am not anti-bunt but it shouldn’t be automatic.

When Hodo popped it up, he was moving them over for Faltine and Ardoin who have been terrible. Hodo damn near hit it out the prior at bat. That is as dumb as it gets. Daly had some good swings this game. I’d hit and run him in the 9th.

From an offensive strategy standpoint Augie was not great. But he was seemingly less bunt in the postseason than regular while Pierce has seemingly been the opposite. While at Texas, Augies teams were largely pitching and defense. Majewski was incredible with RISP. There were other great players but really half of Augies tenure had mediocre offense. I’d assume that philosophy chased one guy from Texas even though he had Big 12 player of the year potential. It’s also not commmon for someone to be a better big league hitter than college hitter - Belt. I do view the selfless nature of the 4hole hitter bunting as a positive
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

It's gonna be a long time before I can sleep.  God dammit, we were so close to #7.

It sucks. But it was an awesome season. Probably the best season in any big 3 since 2014 or 2010. The ball is rolling in the right direction. Texas has a badass basketball coach. We hope that we finally have a good football coach. We can see mirages in the desert and the ocean might not be too far in the distance.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

just like the LSU final we lost this the first game.  madden throws a gem and we shit the bed in the batters box.  we win that game I'm sure we win the whole damn thing.  this team just depended on pitching too much.

It was a very good season.  Here's to hoping we are back here again and win the first game this time.

10 minutes ago, troph said:

It’s really win the first two. MSU isn’t the deeper team and they out lasted us because they won their first two. 

Well, yes. Ideally you win them all. But none are as important as winning the first one. Besides the obvious 1-0 start and and advancing in the W bracket the dynamics going forward are immensely favorable. A look a the odds of the eventual champ coming from a game one loser should be evidence enough.

Augie and Cliff would agree.

Edited by Wishbone

2 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

Well, yes. Ideally you win them all. But none are as important as winning the first one. Besides the obvious 1-0 start and and advancing in the W bracket the dynamics going forward are immensely favorable. A look a the odds of the eventual champ coming from a game one loser should be evidence enough.

Augie and Cliff would agree.

Yes I agree but losing game two you have to win the same number as losing the first.  And Gus played in a format that made the losers bracket absolutely impossible for sure. Either way yeah you gotta win the first I agree.

• Hook 'Em 1