Latino/Hispanic Ultimate Catch All Thread of Culture, Language, Food, Travel and Identity (gringos welcome)

14 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I never got sick from eating/drinking anything in Brazil (or Honduras). But it certainly happens.

The fried chicken that tried to kill me was Mexican, but my full-on food-poisoning swoon happened in Florida (Panhandle, where else,) and the exploding-bowels-trophy was French. I am an equal-opportunity self-poisoner.

• Like 1

Most of the tap water in Mexico is fine to drink when it leaves the plant— the issue is the aging pipes and dirty water tanks that you take a crapshoot with. And in my experience, the “Montezuma’s revenge” you get is pretty tame in comparison to the raging nasties you can pick up in the true developing world where sanitation and safe storage is not even a concept. Where black water is used untreated to irrigate and stuff shows up completely unwashed in markets and stalls.  

Back to the topic. Just came back from a week in the RGV. I know people go nuts for Peruvian, Ecuadorean, Chilean ceviche. For my money, true Mexican/South Texan version is the perfect food at any time. I prefer mine with Gamesa crackers to tostadas. 

Had a long debate with family over what we would choose if forced to subsist on one food— ceviche or barbecue. And I couldn’t choose myself. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Most of the tap water in Mexico is fine to drink when it leaves the plant— the issue is the aging pipes and dirty water tanks that you take a crapshoot with. And in my experience, the “Montezuma’s revenge” you get is pretty tame in comparison to the raging nasties you can pick up in the true developing world where sanitation and safe storage is not even a concept. Where black water is used untreated to irrigate and stuff shows up completely unwashed in markets and stalls.  

Back to the topic. Just came back from a week in the RGV. I know people go nuts for Peruvian, Ecuadorean, Chilean ceviche. For my money, true Mexican/South Texan version is the perfect food at any time. I prefer mine with Gamesa crackers to tostadas. 

Had a long debate with family over what we would choose if forced to subsist on one food— ceviche or barbecue. And I couldn’t choose myself. 

Yeah I think you are ok with the tap water in Mexico at most of your resorts and boutique hotels which rely heavily on foreign tourists and the same with restaurants/bars that draw from the same demo.   They have secondary purifications systems.

I have to admit there are times when my digestive system is giving me heck in the comfort of my own home that I wish Montezuma would visit me so I could just get it out of my system and move on.

This meme I made a few years back won't make sense after I have posted a lot of photos from beaches in Brazil.  But since having kids, we don't get to travel around Brazil as much as we used to and usually stay in the state of São Paulo.  However, when we go next year, we will make an effort to travel again.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

10 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Maybe Im just old, but I need crackers to enjoy my enchiladas

Never seen anyone do this, you must be ancient. 

What I do occasionally if I’m super hungry is put my enchilada into a flour tortilla, creating an enchilaco situation. Throw some rice, beans, or lettuce/tomatoes on top. Heaven. 

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

What I do occasionally if I’m super hungry is put my enchilada into a flour tortilla, creating an enchilaco situation. Throw some rice, beans, or lettuce/tomatoes on top. Heaven. 

Yea it's kind of old school...   and if you are a Gringo you get asked if you want crackers at some places.   

Me as Gringo I like what you do with the Flour tortilla with the excess sauce, cheese, etc....   It's not bad with a warm corn tortilla too.

37 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I usually have some leftover enchilada, rice, and beans, when we go out for Tex-Mex.  That then becomes breakfast enchilaco the next day.  Sometimes eggs and chorizo are added to the mixture you describe above.

• 5 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Don't know much about DF but my couple weeks in La Condesa and Roma were pretty damn fun. That city is wild

It’s a well kept secret.  At least amongst the unwashed masses from the states.  Short flight for many people and amazing food, history, etc etc

Unless you have to be in Polanco (not us), you can get a great deal on places.  Will try to post a detailed report after I’m back.  

It’s a well kept secret.  At least amongst the unwashed masses from the states.  Short flight for many people and amazing food, history, etc etc
Unless you have to be in Polanco (not us), you can get a great deal on places.  Will try to post a detailed report after I’m back.  

Yep. Polanco is for those who want the completely sanitized experience. La Condesa was great, and we felt quite safe there. It’s an actual neighborhood.

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep. Polanco is for those who want the completely sanitized experience. La Condesa was great, and we felt quite safe there. It’s an actual neighborhood.

Too funny.  La Condesa is exactly where we are now and the early leader in the clubhouse.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

My wife (brasileira) and I just finished watching the Netflix Street Food episode for Salvador. I'm not crying, you're crying.  Fucking pandemic/job situation, its been 3 years since we have been back to Brasil.  Now that I am working again, I hope to go within the next 6 months.

But fuck, all the food in that episode had me drooling. 

On 7/15/2021 at 10:26 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Maybe Im just old, but I need crackers to enjoy my enchiladas

Far west Texas thing for sure. I grew up eating saltines with enchiladas and few things enrage me more that fixin' a bit plate of cheese enchiladas and beans to only walk to the pantry and see that the kids ate all the crackers. I have been known to leave my plate sitting on the table and jump in the truck to hit up the nearest grocery store. 

• 7 months later...

Finally heading back to Brazil this summer. Bought tickets yesterday. Ouch. First, miles don’t go as far as they used to. Second , cost of everything these days. Had to buy two of the 4 and ending up shelling out $4500. But, we need to go see family, it’s been 4 years. That’s way too long.

53 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Finally heading back to Brazil this summer. Bought tickets yesterday. Ouch. First, miles don’t go as far as they used to. Second , cost of everything these days. Had to buy two of the 4 and ending up shelling out $4500. But, we need to go see family, it’s been 4 years. That’s way too long.

Boa viagem

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 12:21 PM, Mo Horn said:

Boa viagem

Obrigado.

My wife and I just had dinner at a churrascaria in the burbs of Houston.  Decent place, but fuck it is so dam expensive.  2 people, 2 caipirinhas (weak, mine are much better), $200 with tip.  Of course I had to try and put a dent in their bottom line, and I am paying for it...got the meat sweats something fierce.  But goddamn, I can't wait to be back in Brazil where we can get much better churrasco for a fraction of the price.  More cuts of meat and other items like chicken hearts and the mozzarella balls.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Obrigado.

My wife and I just had dinner at a churrascaria in the burbs of Houston.  Decent place, but fuck it is so dam expensive.  2 people, 2 caipirinhas (weak, mine are much better), $200 with tip.  Of course I had to try and put a dent in their bottom line, and I am paying for it...got the meat sweats something fierce.  But goddamn, I can't wait to be back in Brazil where we can get much better churrasco for a fraction of the price.  More cuts of meat and other items like chicken hearts and the mozzarella balls.

Love the chicken hearts I got when I visited there. 

• Like 2

I've been to 3/4 of South and Central America.  To me,  no dinner on earth beats an Argentinian Bife de Ojo with a gallon or two of chimichurri on the side.

And for breakfast,  nothing in world beats a Central American breakfast.   The tipico in any country is fantastic when done right.

For lunch, I'll go American (bbq or cheeseburger).  Sorry europe and Asia, you come in 2nd place in various categories.

On 5/7/2022 at 9:23 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Obrigado.

damn that’s pricey 

• 4 months later...

Alright, so last month we went back to Brazil for 10 days, 6 in the my wife's small hometown in the interior of São Paulo and 4 days in São Paulo the city.  It was somewhat of a stressful trip.  First, the focus of the trip is my wife seeing family and friends.  Next time we are going to definitely take a side trip.  Really should have this time, but oh well.  Still at some great food.  My girls got to see their grandmother, which is really important to me.  She has very advanced dementia and this might be the last time they see her.  I ate my weight in churrasco.  Two friends grilled for us, we went to a famous picanha centric restaurant in my wife's hometown that I love and then to one of the more high end churrascarias I have been to when we were in São Paulo.

This is going to be photo heavy, you have been warned. 

A couple of blocks from my MIL's house is a new restaurant.  Nothing fancy but pretty good.  They loved to hear that I was from Texas.

spacer.png

Rice, beans, farofa, sausage and pumpkin

spacer.png

My youngest wasn't happy we stopped to take a pic on our way to the new Italian restaurant in town...

spacer.png

We ended up eating there twice.  Pretty solid and Brazilians know Italian food since there are so many of them there (such as my wife).  Had a shrimp pesto dish one day and filet Mignon and risotto another day.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not sure where my wife was, so I took the girls for some ice cream.  It was vacation, so they got whatever...which meant I ate a lot of it.  Short hitters.

spacer.png

Churrasco at friends' houses.  They both knocked it out of the park.

spacer.png

And that fucking cheese I love so much...

spacer.png

Popular spot for pizza in São Paulo.  Had to get the calabresa.

spacer.png

One of our friends gave us a ton of our favorite Brazilian bonbon and a bunch of caçacha (other friends gave us another 3 bottles).  I stopped drinking so we left it all in Brazil.  Not the chocolate though.

spacer.png

That is pretty much it for the trip...well, in regards to food and drink.  I posted a couple of shots in the photography thread of an abandoned lime kiln if that sort of thing interests you.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 8/14/2021 at 12:54 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

Unless you have to be in Polanco (not us), you can get a great deal on places.  Will try to post a detailed report 

Condesa is no longer a secret (or all of DF). It's crazy to see the gentrification 10 years ago compared to today. Expensive coffee shops, yoga studios, and you hear English everywhere. My favorite dive bar is gone to a high end restaurant. 

The locals are pretty pissed about it.

Polanco has always been boring to me.

• Rage+1 1

• 4 months later...
On 6/30/2021 at 4:44 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

Poke some fun at culture.  In my mother in law's house there was a new wall clock, then I noticed it hadn't been removed from the box and just taped to the wall (very cropped phone pic, sorry for quality)...

spacer.png

Another wall clock left in box and hung on the wall:

clockonwall.thumb.jpg.4e77db9efcba7f8f3b933f6aa253f65e.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It’s been 8 months since our last visit to Brasil and I am missing it a lot. Yesterday I was playing with my youngest and we were talking about Brazil and she said in a sad tone she wanted to go back. But we won’t be back for another year or two because this years trip is to Italy. I kind of regret leaving a ton of cachaça at my MIL’s house from this last trip.

• 3 weeks later...

Hola, Estoy en la Republica Dominica! It’s been nice to check out something different but not sure if I’d come back. The beaches are great but it seems like prices here for food and groceries are close to prices at home. 
I’m  on the north coast here. It’s a big kite surfing destination.

After talking with 4-5 different people, I think my next Latin America trip is to Argentina.

3 hours ago, tomahawk dunk said:

Hola, Estoy en la Republica Dominica! It’s been nice to check out something different but not sure if I’d come back. The beaches are great but it seems like prices here for food and groceries are close to prices at home. 
I’m  on the north coast here. It’s a big kite surfing destination.

After talking with 4-5 different people, I think my next Latin America trip is to Argentina.

My favorite city in S.A. is Buenos Aires and love Argentina. 

• Like 1

I was rewatching the São Paulo episode of No Reservations and it made me all kind of emotional. I wish I could have one more Saturday lunch at my MIL’s house. An absolutely killer chicken lasagna. I have no fucking clue the authenticity of the dish. I know she is 100% Italian, one parent an immigrant, the other a first generation Italian-Brazilian. But holy shit, that lasagna. So now I am demanding my wife attempt to make it (she did before and it was close, but like all recipes, nothing is written down) and contacting a recruiter in Brazil. Saudades.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 months later...
On 5/20/2023 at 6:15 PM, tomahawk dunk said:

Another place I’m curious about is Hualtuco, Mexico.

Anyone here been there before or know much about it? 
Thanks!

We went in July and it was a pretty good time with some great scenery. Everyone there is a Chilango on vacation for the weekend and in a good mood so the club is a good time with bartenders that will remember you with a decent tip. I didn't get the feeling that English gets you all that far though outside of the Canadian run establishments (the Canadians apparently show up in winter in droves), but my wife is paranoid about taking me to anywhere in Mexico anyway so it was all Spanish all week. 

In CDMX we've taken to getting to know the taxi/Uber driver and then ask them where they like to eat and have them take us there and pay for their meal. They've always been super talkative and friendly whenever we start talking to them and then we hire them out for the rest of the trip. Last April we ended up at some hole in the wall mariscos place that was absolute fire. I had been drinking at Xochimilco all morning so wasn't all the way present to know where I was exactly, but it was probably a 15-minute drive from Xochimilco. Google Maps says there are about 25 places that it could be.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Like 1

On 9/10/2023 at 3:09 PM, freyguy said:

buddy of mine just got me this huge molcajete.  Now I gotta figure out how to season this thing.  Looks like I'm in for a long week of soaking and grinding (giggity)

Man, that's one of our family treasures -- my grandmother's molcajete.  It's well over 100 years old, and the inside is smooth as a baby's bottom.  Could actually use a little texture to make it grind things a bit easier, but shit, can't beat the seasoning and history.

On 5/20/2023 at 9:21 PM, Mo Horn said:

My favorite city in S.A. is Buenos Aires and love Argentina. 

Have been four times... would gladly go again.  Such a fascinating city.  

I'd put Mexico City second in Latin America and, honestly, aside from New York City, I'd say Mexico City is the best city in North America. 

Fight me.

• 3 months later...

image.gif.b19a95ea3e2a72e149c549e4bceaa0d2.gif

[Raising this thread from the dead because it's the only one I found in this forum searching "Peru"]

Hola del DF.

So I have the green light from my wife to do a Peru trip. I have two friends (separate friend groups) that live in Lima and want to do the Cuzco/Machu Picchu side quest, too. Would appreciate any advice you have. Here's some questions I have for now:

• Most of the advice on the internet seems to say to do the Cuzco/MP thing first. Coming from an elevation of almost 2k feet where I live, the difference would be less than if I reestablished myself essentially at sea level if I did Lima the first part of the trip. Mexico City at 7300ft hasn't been an issue this past week, but 11000+ feet in Cuzco seems like a different animal, so I'd rather not lose my 2k feet from home. Does this track?
  • Timing: I'm trying to thread the needle and go late enough that it's less cloudy/rainy to the east, but also still nice and "summery" in Lima. Seems like March would be best, but what I can't find is the percentages that I get no visibility at MP. Like, the guidance I've found online is "generally during the rainy season, you have a window from 10am to about 12/1pm where you'll have visibility." Is this "generally" like 51% or 90%. Kind of a big difference because I don't want to have one of those "I went to MP but it was only in the clouds the whole time."
  • My Spanish is solid but not perfect (passed my DELE B2 pretty easily on the October test and have continued with 10+ hours a week of study since), but is Quechua kind of dominant once you get to the east? 
  • How many days should I be looking at? I think 6-7 is NBD -- I'd be leaving my wife with a 6yo and 4yo at home -- but once I start getting to 8+ I'd be pushing it, and I think double digits would be sort of a "c'mon man" point for her. Does something like the following make sense for a 7-day itinerary:
    • Day 1: After overnight flight from US to Lima, transfer and land in Cuzco late morning. Explore Cuzco a bit until check-in and drop my stuff off, take a nap, then explore at night a bit
    • Day 2: Wake up early for one of those one-day trips to MP, get back late and crash
    • Day 3: Sleep in till near check-out time and hop a flight back to Lima OR if MP didn't work the day before, try again
    • Day 4: Either already be in Lima or fly back to Lima
    • Days 5-6: Explore Lima
    • Day 7 - Back to the States
  • Related to the day 3-4 thing, does anyone have experience booking LATAM/LAN same-day between Cusco and Lima? Checking google flights now, looks like I'd be good to book today no problem, and hope/imagine the experience would be the same later.
  • Is 3-4 days enough time to hit the highlights of Lima during the day and hang with my guys in the evening?

Thanks for anything y'all can offer in response to my questions or as general advice.

I've been to Lima multiple times, Cusco/MP once. We actually did the 4 day hike, which was awesome, but that's better left for another time. I truly felt the altitude in Cusco, and we were there 3 days, which is required to do the hike. One day there is plenty, but there is more to see there, and in the surrounding area, if you stay longer. As for MP, I'd get there as early as possible to have the whole day there. Maybe spend the night in Aguas Calientes, which is the town outside of MP. We booked our RT flights from Lima to Cusco in advance and they were full flights. I wouldn't recommend doing it the same day,  but it's been a few years since I did it so things might be different. 3-4 days in Lima is a good number, depending on what you want to do. There are a couple of museums. The plaza mayor has a cathedral and others churches and sights to visit. The food is all incredible, from street food to very, very high end. Literally some of the best restaurants in the world. You will be fine with Spanish. Some folks speak Quechua, but I never had any issues anywhere in Peru, with Spanish.

Lima is one of my favorite cities in SA. I used to go all the time for work, but in a different job now. I miss it. Let me know if you have any specific questions. 

Edited by Mo Horn