2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

We have 22 commitments, including several guys who would have obviously been told to hold off if we were keeping our powder dry for the portal.  We have a kicker, a long snapper, and multiple redundant DL recruits, but we’re not pushing for high end prospects because we want portal flexibility?  

I think whoever told you that is wishcasting really hard.

There are recruits we won’t be able to sign that want to come to Texas as of today. Five star players. The portal is the only reason I can think of that we aren’t pushing for these commits. It isn’t a matter of us wanting them, it’s a matter of how competitive we can be compared to the other schools recruiting them. We will end up with a couple of them, but we could sign a top 5 class no question if we went hard on the recruiting trail. It’s my feeling the staff chooses to remain competitive in the portal instead of grabbing these recruits, but I don’t know that.

And my point above was not that people are wishcasting about our position. It’s that people are wondering if we could get burned in the portal and that we will lose our position with the high end recruits. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Not meant to cause a stir, but there should be a reminder that the portal works both ways. After a tough season, losses to the portal are inevitable, and it’s not always players we want to see leave. 
I think Sark should be much more aggressive than the numbers Nahlin has in that article. 

Agreed. There are several guys listed in that article that should have been playing A LOT more already this year that I fully expect to portal out. There are a couple who considered the portal in the spring and were talked back down and it doesn't sound like we should expect them back. If anything that list has grown over this season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

There are recruits we won’t be able to sign that want to come to Texas as of today. Five star players. The portal is the only reason I can think of that we aren’t pushing for these commits. It isn’t a matter of us wanting them, it’s a matter of how competitive we can be compared to the other schools recruiting them. We will end up with a couple of them, but we could sign a top 5 class no question if we went hard on the recruiting trail. It’s my feeling the staff chooses to remain competitive in the portal instead of grabbing these recruits, but I don’t know that.

And my point above was not that people are wishcasting about our position. It’s that people are wondering if we could get burned in the portal and that we will lose our position with the high end recruits. 

Or maybe we just don’t have enough powder to get those 5 stars? 

I can understanding needing instant impact players at certain positions next year, but it’d be really dumb to pass up all those elite hs guys when you don’t really know what’ll be available in the portal. 

Glad to hear you still think we land a couple 5 stars though. Most people’s confidence seems to be waning. 

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Seriously. Those numbers were a joke. 

Yup. Nahlin also assured one poster that card didn’t have one foot out the door and card hasn’t indicated to them his plans to transfer. I’m actually shocked that the person being paid by IT would be so truthful with Nahlin. 

Just now, longhornmatt said:

I’m sorry, but this still doesn’t add up.  There are 10 current commits who could be processed for a 5 star and nobody would blink an eye.  How are we possibly unable to sign 5 stars who want to come here?

He’s not talking about roster spots. He’s talking about finite “SEC-style” resources used to attract recruits. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Also, I remember when Bryce Anderson and Kelvin Banks “wanted to come here”, and we “weren’t pushing for them” but it was totally just a matter of time.   It seems Nahlin and/or our actual coaches have issues with counting their chickens way before they’re hatched.

Kelvin Banks is definitely an example of the type of player I’m talking about. The only reason I can think of that we aren’t pushing harder is bc we have someone else in mind who has already been in a college weightlifting program and has seen snaps. 

But I think you’d agree with me that we should be pushing really damn hard for him no matter what. It’s confusing and the answers aren’t readily available out there. Which is worrying people, and worry can turn into frustration and anger quickly. Especially with what we are seeing on the field. 

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

The staff doesn’t control where those resources go.   If the staff is directly getting involved in discussions of “X dollars to this recruit, and Y dollars for portal players” then they’re:

1. Dumb.

2. Bad at the bag game if they’re only producing at this rate with blatant first hand cheating.

the big lebowski dude GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

The staff doesn’t control where those resources go.   If the staff is directly getting involved in discussions of “X dollars to this recruit, and Y dollars for portal players” then they’re:

1. Dumb.

2. Bad at the bag game if they’re only producing at this rate with blatant first hand cheating.

Who does decide it then? Seriously, I have no idea but would’ve assumed coaches 

13 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Texas will clean up in the portal. We have a popular staff. That might be the route we need to take until we get some better recruiting chops

Focusing on the portal actually does make sense this year because we need immediate help. Can’t have another shit year next year so can’t wait around for high schoolers to be ready. Next year more focus on HS. My only issue is that portal is such an unknown that we could still end up with jack shit from it

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Focusing on the portal actually does make sense this year because we need immediate help. Can’t have another shit year next year so can’t wait around for high schoolers to be ready. Next year more focus on HS. My only issue is that portal is such an unknown that we could still end up with jack shit from it

This is where I'm at. Not to mention, the transfers have college film. There is less projection.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

This is where I'm at. Not to mention, the transfers have college film. There is less projection.

Texas should follow what the Rams are doing in the NFL. Rams basically saying "fuck the draft" and are trading picks for known quantities.

Maybe Texas should flip script and run their roster like a JuCo and just try and rent kids for a year. Build bulk of roster through the portal vs wasting time recruiting kids that never seem to work out.

Just now, BrazilHorn said:

Texas should follow what the Rams are doing in the NFL. Rams basically saying "fuck the draft" and are trading picks for known quantities.

Maybe Texas should flip script and run their roster like a JuCo and just try and rent kids for a year. Build bulk of roster through the portal vs wasting time recruiting kids that never seem to work out.

The Rams are doing it at a cost, though. I just don't see the cost with the new portal rules. Getting a transfer with 2, 3, or 4 years of eligibility left shouldn't really hurt you too much in the future. There is plenty of time to smooth the roster numbers over time. Maybe just limit the number of seniors or super seniors you take?

2 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Who does decide it then? Seriously, I have no idea but would’ve assumed coaches 

We basically have jack shit now

20 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

The Rams are doing it at a cost, though. I just don't see the cost with the new portal rules. Getting a transfer with 2, 3, or 4 years of eligibility left shouldn't really hurt you too much in the future. There is plenty of time to smooth the roster numbers over time. Maybe just limit the number of seniors or super seniors you take?

The NFL cost is the salary cap - limited Free Agency capacity, no access to cheap rookie contracts, and no ability to gain exclusive rights to players.

In College the only limiting factor is the number of new scholarships you can hand out in a given year, and that resets every year. Plus, it remains to be seen what will happen when certain schools and players figure out that a player agreeing to be a walkon could end up with $100k NIL deal minus $20k tuition > $50k NIL deal minus free tuition.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Yeah, there’s really no reason for Sark and Co. to do anything other than take double digit transfers. Basically No one on our roster is improving and we’re hitting the 2019-21 recruiting classes, which were pretty terrible, so there’s not really any reason to expect internal improvement next year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

You initially disagreed with someone calling him a JAG. Now you say he’s serviceable and not a complete liability. Seems like someone has moved the goalposts since their first post. 

Nah, I thought I was using the term that someone else used.  I think he is serviceable, but lacking the supporting cast to showcase that.   

We're talking about the same staff that didn't upgrade the offense what so ever through the portal last year?  Same admin and staff that has been behind on NiL.  That has fallen flat on their face half way through the season during games.  The same staff that thought they were going to land prospects only to see them end up at other schools.  What I'm getting at is this staff has not been proactive in addressing problems on this team and doesn't seem to be in touch with where we stand with recruits.  I know we keep talking about how they are going to raid the portal, I need to see it before I believe it.   I have a feelings we'll get 2-4 portal guys and that's about it.  Not sure why any decent player would come join this mess.  Most of the good players will to go SEC schools or the schools competing for the CFP.  We're not the only school with NiL deals.  We'll probably end up with more guys like Ovie, Ben Davis, Thorton.... bench players at other schools looking for playing time.

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

We're talking about the same staff that didn't upgrade the offense what so ever through the portal last year?  Same admin and staff that has been behind on NiL.  That has fallen flat on their face half way through the season during games.  The same staff that thought they were going to land prospects only to see them end up at other schools.  What I'm getting at is this staff has not been proactive in addressing problems on this team and doesn't seem to be in touch with where we stand with recruits.  I know we keep talking about how they are going to raid the portal, I need to see it before I believe it.   I have a feelings we'll get 2-4 portal guys and that's about it.  Not sure why any decent player would come join this mess.  Most of the good players will to go SEC schools or the schools competing for the CFP.  We're not the only school with NiL deals.  We'll probably end up with more guys like Ovie, Ben Davis, Thorton.... bench players at other schools looking for playing time.

so we are doomed if we do, or doomed if we don't?

39 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I get the same vibe from this staff...Can't-Close Sark.  Definitely not the go-getter vibe from Chris Beard.  Hope he learns a thing or two from Beard.

Edited by westexhorn

Was just told the staff is doing their best to wade these new portal waters. Honestly it sounds very difficult and there isn’t any real precedent for some of this stuff since the rules have changed. 

I don’t have any names but that’s bc there aren’t names being given. It has to remain quiet for obvious reasons. As I mentioned above, it isn’t all the stimulating exercise of seeing how we can improve our team through the portal. It’s also the energy draining exercise of trying to prevent some of our own guys from saying sayonara. That’s the new normal. I think by reading between the lines the portal has priority over the recruiting trail.

I think that underscores how important NIL deals are in relation to traditional recruiting activities. Friendly reminder that we are in uncharted territory in terms of the legal impact the average fan like us can make on the future success of the team. It’s pretty fucking cool honestly. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

In minimal fairness to Sarkisian, he came a little bit late to be able to take full advantage of the transfer portal. But there won't be any excuses this off season.

What?  We hired him before the season was even over for Bama.  Most players were just wrapping up their bowl games.  I get what you're saying, but they clearly made an effort to upgrade LB and Edge and had no problem finding bodies.  They did not do the same for OL and WR.  What most likely happened was they thought they could coach these players up.  They were over confident in their abilities as coaches and they clearly were not able to evaluate the roster on the offensive side.  I really liked the Sark hire, I thought this guy really understood football on a micro level and could help this program.  As the season is playing out, I'm coming to the realization that he's an unbelievable play caller but sucks as a head coach and cannot close in recruiting.  I also picked us to go 8-4 or 9-3 this year.  Completely reasonable expectations which he is clearly failing to meet.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

I’ll also add that the staff seems unnaturally quiet. And I think matters of the portal require silent running of the ambush submarine. Not saying that’s what is going on, but it would make 100% sense. 

Probably after the summer with the Ohio state kid info getting out. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

I’ll also add that the staff seems unnaturally quiet. And I think matters of the portal require silent running of the ambush submarine. Not saying that’s what is going on, but it would make 100% sense. 

I hope you're right man.  This program needs something to sell and be positive about.  Just feels like apathy is about to set in if we lose this week.  Who the hell is going to actually show up to the remaining games this season.  I wasn't expecting half empty stadiums in year 1.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Definitely not selling hope. But if I were forced to bet, I’d bet that the reality of our immediate situation is worse than we realize in the locker room, and the reality of the future of the program is more positive than it seems. 

So lata bitch to dog shit players and oh hiiiii girl to better portal players?

1 minute ago, Schulz2.0 said:

We signed 6 transfers last year and Worthy. That was with a staff that got hired after the initial flurry of players portaled and transferred. The staff will have been in place for this whole cycle and have a good idea of what we need. There have been multiple people with inside information saying we would be very active in the portal and look to churn the roster since early in the season. You're being a whiny little bitch.

I mean if Michigan st can pull 20 after losing 14 and being 2-5 the year prior then hopefully Sark at Texas can do some damage in the portal. 

• Hook 'Em 5

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)