2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

3 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

The most important position on the team in terms of consistent success is the QB position. When we had Colt McCoy behind shitty OL's Texas still went 25-2.

We likely don't have a QB currently on our roster that would be considered top half of the current Big 12 and that is saying something because the QB play in the conference is way down.

I agree that we need to fix multiple holes in our lineup, but you absolutely need to address the most glaring hole on the team.

If I remember correctly, Mack rolled the pocket as in, get the hell out of there as fast as possible--it's collapsing.  Every snap was an Indiana Jones escape.    

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Right now Texas has one Guy that could only win the the Texas Longhorn Long Pass Competition if Case McCoy was the only other entrant. 

The other one is Adonis in shorts, but maybe a deer in headlights. 

Literally the only reason I would like  to see Card start the last 3 games, is for Sark to judge how much effort he needs to put into finding a QB in the portal. 

Surely Ohio State and or Clemson would have a qb or two portal.  Edit: in addition to Ewers.  

Edited by Mdhorn

1 hour ago, immamac said:

can you guys please clarify your murder as like "murder with words" or something - this page would look awful suspicions if there was a bunch of dead surly posters in the next few months lol

I can escrow the bet as well if we want to go that route. 

Murder by words it is.  

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The bet is that there isn't a QB currently on campus that will be starting for Texas next year, barring injury to whoever is the starter, which would nullify the bet. Day one starter for the Louisiana Monroe game. I'll go with $500-$1000 if you're game. I don't know your age or career path, so if that's not a fair amount for where you're at, just pick a lower number that works. I'm not trying to be a bully about it and a bet will make it fun. 

To be clear day 1 starter, barring injury, academics or scandal

Edited by closetohumping

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

Ewers has to be salivating over the chance to come in and be a day one starter here (trash OL notwithstanding).

hopefully he can finally be the bell cow that we all envisioned and bring Jackson with him.. Also give an assist for Brooks to make his way to Austin too

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

To be clear day 1 starter, barring injury, academics or scandal

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Bets on. $1k under the above conditions. 

Bet confirmed. $1000 straight up.

@closetojumping for no one currently on campus starting day 1 for the 2022 season (ULM). 

@closetohumping for anyone currently on campus starting day 1 for the 2022 season(ULM).

push condition for injury of heir apparent or named starter before game 1 leading to a switch in the winner (on campus named starter gets hurt and off campus starter gets start or visa versa) no push condition if there is no change in winner (off campus replaces off campus or visa versa)

this isn’t first snap, this is depth chart released starter.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, immamac said:

@closetojumping for no one currently on campus starting day 1 for the 2022 season (ULM). 

@closetohumping for anyone currently on campus starting day 1 for the 2022 season(ULM).

push condition for injury of heir apparent or named starter before game 1 leading to a switch in the winner (on campus named starter gets hurt and off campus starter gets start or visa versa) no push condition if there is no change in winner (off campus replaces off campus or visa versa)

What do we do if it’s a co starter situation? Just the guy that takes the first snap then?  Guy that plays most of the game?  Thinking Chris/major situation

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

What do we do if it’s a co starter situation? Just the guy that takes the first snap then?  Guy that plays most of the game?  Thinking Chris/major situation

Sark made it obvious that isn’t how he does things. 

36 minutes ago, immamac said:

I feel like this deal is another scenario from "The Big Short"

Selena Gomez & Richard H. Thaler Explaining Synthetic CDO through BLACKJACK

Margot Robbie -- "THE BIG SHORT". 

10 hours ago, Bevo said:

I think that was the JAG. Utah had a tackle too, right. We should pay the Oregon dude whatever he is asking.

The Oregon kid's uncle is on the recruiting staff at BYU, who was a player in his original recruitment. Always an uncle.

• Hook 'Em 2

posting it here instead of the Ewers thread, because...why not?

Ewers recent follows on twitter: https://en.whotwi.com/QuinnEwers/friends

most recent follow is director of player personnel at South Carolina, only other recent non tOSU CFB follow is the WR coach at South Carolina. the tie here appears to be that his buddy Landon Samson (wasn't that the WR he was super close with) committed there, but that wasn't recently - was back in June.

20 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Casey is a JAG. He's a poor man's Applewhite, but with less feel for the position. The OL is an issue, but it's not the reason Casey sucks.

Not so sure about that.  He has seemingly regressed at times and that could be conditioning from the line play and our opponents having figured that out.

16 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Not so sure about that.  He has seemingly regressed at times and that could be conditioning from the line play and our opponents having figured that out.

Casey’s not good. He often locks on to one receiver before the snap, misses wide open receivers even when he has time. He also has poor mechanics, a weak arm and doesn’t throw with anticipation, which is a terrible combination. 

Even with a solid OL, he’d be leaving a lot of meat on the bone in this offense.  He also needs to be quicker to scramble. He makes some really nice scrambles when he’s decisisve

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Casey’s not good. He often locks on to one receiver before the snap, misses wide open receivers even when he has time. He also has poor mechanics, a weak arm and doesn’t throw with anticipation, which is a terrible combination. 

Even with a solid OL, he’d be leaving a lot of meat on the bone in this offense.  He also needs to be quicker to scramble. He makes some really nice scrambles when he’s decisisve

True 'nuf

58 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I could see them making an intraconference transfer to a team that plays in the Cotton Bowl every year…

I could see both of them, as well as several of our defensive players, heading further down I-35. Hayes being from Athens makes it feel like a foregone conclusion. 

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Most of those sound like O-line issues to me.  He locks on more now, because he knows he has 1.2 seconds.  He has to rush because he has 1.2 seconds.  When he has more than 1.2 seconds, he rushes because he is having a pavlovian response.  I don't think his arm is weak.   With a solid O-line Bijan gets to take some of the pressure off of Casey and Casey isn't trying to emulate Sam's heroball.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Nivek said:

Most of those sound like O-line issues to me.  He locks on more now, because he knows he has 1.2 seconds.  He has to rush because he has 1.2 seconds.  When he has more than 1.2 seconds, he rushes because he is having a pavlovian response.  I don't think his arm is weak.   With a solid O-line Bijan gets to take some of the pressure off of Casey and Casey isn't trying to emulate Sam's heroball.

The circumstances could improve Casey’s performance, but there are still fundamental issues with him that wouldn’t change. He can put up numbers in Sark’s scheme just like ton of other QBs, but we can certainly do better at QB in the future. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Casey having a relatively weak arm and poor field vision/anticipation aren't on the OL. Rewatch some of our previous games or at least look at some of the play clips people have posted on Twitter. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The circumstances could improve Casey’s performance, but there are still fundamental issues with him that wouldn’t change. He can put up numbers in Sark’s scheme just like ton of other QBs, but we can certainly do better at QB in the future. 

That was the point. He is serviceable and not a complete liability.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Nivek said:

A qb can have a weaker arm if they're throwing with anticipation or throwing somebody open.  There's not much touch on Casey's passes.  

Edit: Of course it helps if wr's could consistently catch rather than sporadically.  

Edited by Mdhorn

Portal talk from IT

Spoiler

Along with being frustrating, Texas' season has unquestionably been disappointing. In some ways it's shown the program to be more of a rebuild than I previously anticipated. Disappointing. In other ways it has offered tantalizing glimpses of what can be and what I thought we'd see more of. Frustrating.

While Texas has enough talent on hand to have a better record than 4-4, it clearly needs an infusion almost across the board. In previous eras a rebuild would take at least a couple of classes. But, my friends, we are in the portal era and nobody should benefit more between now and next season than Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian.

Advantages for Texas will include numbers, a relatively new staff with tentacles reaching across the country, playing time, a still strong staff reputation, and attractive program upside. Yes, you can sell upside even in losses.

We're not going to speculate on departures but we recognize we're in a different era so we won't be as mum as we have been in the past. When the time is right, on a case by case basis we'll delicately discuss those who are likely on their way out. This is recruiting after all.

Let's get to needs.

Quarterback: 1

As it sits right now, Texas' future at quarterback looks less certain than it did at the beginning of the season. There is still some runway for clarity to emerge, but right now we have quarterback as a definitive portal need. Even if the position becomes solidified by season's end, the coaches would have to guard against a potential exit. Beyond Casey Thompson and Hudson Card, there's still uncertainty given youth and Maalik Murphy needing time to incubate.

Running Back: 0

Texas is set for next year with Bijan Robinson, Roschon Johnson, Keilan Robinson, and Jonathon Brooks. Texas should hold on and sign Jamarion Miller and Jaydon Blue.

The chance to play with Bijan Robinson should benefit the staff's pursuits at every other offensive position, notably...

Offensive Line: 2-3

Who wouldn't want to block for Robinson?

The portal is tricky to navigate. You don't want to jump the gun and take someone when a better option could emerge a day later. This is where numbers will be on UT's side. Similar to high school recruiting, the staff should snag a floor-setter early. That is someone who addresses a need and upgrades the roster but might not be a sure-fire starter.

Texas desperately needs a quality tackle and guard (or two tackles that allows a tackle to move to guard) and if they can find them for the spring semester that might out-weigh waiting until next summer. When we say quality, we're not saying all-world or anything, but even given scarcity, quality offensive linemen can be found in the portal.

Wide Receiver: 1-2

The number here will fluctuate depending on how high school recruiting shakes out. If the staff gets Evan Stewart, he'll be catching balls as early as Xavier Worthy.

Texas hasn't shown interest in Syracuse transfer Taj Harris. Harris would upgrade the position but the staff probably views him as fungible to what will enter the portal in the coming months.

Sark's ability to get receivers open, playing time, and Bijan dictating numbers should help coaches land a good receiver, but resolution will be needed at quarterback to truly set Texas up to succeed in landing a ready-made transfer.

No matter what happens -- Jordan Whittington returning and playing well, Troy Omeire returning next year, landing Stewart, etc. -- Texas needs to add a reliable receiver at minimum.

Tight End: 0-1

It'll be unfortunate if the staff feels the need to portal shop for a tight end but Jared Wiley's struggles as a blocker might necessitate it. Beyond Wiley, Texas will be young at the position. Talented, but young.

EDDGE: 1-2

Currently Alfred Collins mans the position but his NFL position is playing inside. Finding a starter level Jack that allows him to move may have to come internally, perhaps from Barryn Sorrell. Finding a quality starter in the portal will prove difficult but the staff will certainly be on the lookout.

On the other side, Ovie Oghoufo will be the assumptive starter with Ayodele Adeoye, Derrick Harris Jr., and Prince Dorbah behind him. This position will be easier to find than Jack so the staff may keep its head on a swivel but the need isn't quite as drastic. True freshman early enrollees Justice Finkley or Anthony Jones could also factor here despite Jack being their longterm projection.

Interior Defensive Line: 0

The big offseason win would be to gain the ability to move Collins home and Bo Davis getting him playing up to his potential. Texas may lose a player or two from this grouping this offseason but it will still have depth and talent. Unless a swing guy with inside/outside ability comes available, I bet they'll stand pat here unless Keondre Coburn departs for some reason. We expect him to return at this time.

Linebacker: 1

It seems the staff will prioritize know-how more than measurables (Harold Perkins doesn't count, he's his own animal). That will expand the pool of acceptable targets and I wouldn't be surprised by an off-the-wall take from a smaller school.

Coach Choate has pieces to develop but the staff will want to go into next year with more proven experience.

Cornerback: 0

With the emergence of Jahdae Barron and the ability of Kitan Crawford, Texas should be good here. Plus, Inside Texas isn't exactly writing off D'Shawn Jamison returning for next season. Freshman Ishmael Ibraheem being hurt earlier in the year will slow his development down, but fellow freshman Jamier Johnson should be able to provide depth next season.

With the high priority on cornerback play they're hard to find in free agency. They're hard to find in recruiting, too, but Texas is still in it for five-stars Denver Harris and Terrance Brooks with early playing time being part of the pitch.

Safety: 1

Like his high school teammate Jamison, Anthony Cook may also return next year. That would give the coaches some flexibility between corner/nickel/safety. The staff could leave Cook at nickel, or perhaps play Kitan Crawford there and try Cook at safety.

Chris Adimora and Jerrin Thompson will be penciled in as starters in the spring. Behind them it's pretty thin. True freshman Bryan Allen Jr. is an early enrollee but barring the flip of an elite target I bet they'll find a heady, sure-tackling safety to shore things up.

Portal action will pick up in December as guys looking for a new home by mid-January will need to act quickly. The portal will become even more active throughout the spring ahead of players leaving for new schools in June.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Not meant to cause a stir, but there should be a reminder that the portal works both ways. After a tough season, losses to the portal are inevitable, and it’s not always players we want to see leave. 

I think Sark should be much more aggressive than the numbers Nahlin has in that article. 

There has been a lot of speculation that our lack of high end recruits so far is because we are keeping our powder dry for the portal. 

I still think that’s the case, but there’s very little information available about the portal stuff for obvious reasons. I certainly can’t say I have confidence in our plans there, because I simply don’t have a good barometer for what we can expect. All the positive info I heard was back when we were 4-1. Hopefully it means the staff is just keeping things air tight, but people friendly to the program are starting to wonder, and the silence from the staff isn’t really creating goodwill in the middle of a really frustrating run of football.

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)