2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

1 minute ago, Teryor said:

May 1 was the last day to give written notice, after which there's 48 hours for the school to put them in the transfer portal, so there will be names coming out through Tuesday

'watching the situation gave me the impression that the player hadn't actually entered (or given notice to enter) the portal yet.

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Hopefully it’s not the guy rumored by the OB “insider.” Would suck to have to rely on Jamison all season 

We’ll have to rely on Jamison either way. Barron is the nickel, so it would be more about having to rely on Jamison and Jerrin Thompson all season. 

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Mathis had 2 sacks last year - he had 4 TFL's.

Not according to the TCU football website.

2021 | JUNIOR
Started all 12 games ... his 4.0 sacks tied for the team lead while placing second with 7.0 tackles for loss ... placed third on TCU with three pass breakups and fifth with 45 tackles ... recorded two sacks as part of three tackles for loss and seven stops at Oklahoma ... had two tackles for loss, including a sack, with a quarterback hurry and pass breakup at Kansas State ... posted six tackles with five solo and two PBUs in the 52-31 win at Texas Tech ... totaled five tackles with a pair of quarterback hurries against SMU ... had TCU's first blocked field goal since 2017 in the West Virginia game.

2020 | SOPHOMORE
Led the Big 12 and ranked 12th nationally in sacks per game at 0.9 ... his team-best 9.0 sacks were the most by a Horned Frog since Mat Boesen had 11.5 in 2017 ... placed second on TCU with 14.0 tackles for loss which ranked third in the Big 12 and tied for 12th in the FBS ... had at least one TFL in nine of 10 games ... placed fourth on TCU with 46 tackles ... started all 10 games, marking his second straight season of starting every contest ... recorded a career-best 3.0 sacks as part of six tackles in the 34-18 win over Texas Tech ... had sacks on each of the Red Raiders' opening two possessions in the game ... closed the season with a career-high nine stops, including 2.0 sacks and a fumble recovery in the 52-10 victory over Louisiana Tech ... had a pair of sacks and forced a fumble that Dee Winters returned 2 yards for a touchdown in the 59-23 win at Kansas ... totaled six tackles, including one for loss, and a quarterback hurry in the 29-22 win over No. 15 Oklahoma State ... also had six stops, with 2.0 for loss and a sack, at West Virginia ... posted five tackles, including one for loss, and a quarterback hurry in the 33-31 win at No. 9 Texas.

2019 | REDSHIRT FRESHMAN
Started all 12 games ... tied for fifth on the team with 40 tackles ... tied for second with 9.0 tackles for loss and third with 2.5 sacks ... equaled a career-high with seven tackles, including 2.5 for loss and 1.5 sacks, against Baylor ... also had seven stops and 2.5 TFLs in the season opener versus UAPB ... totaled six stops at Oklahoma, including a half-tackle for loss, with a quarterback hurry and pass breakup ... recorded his first collegiate sack as part of four stops at Iowa State ... had two quarterback hurries against SMU and Kansas ... closed the season with two tackles for loss among three stops versus West Virginia.

2018 | REDSHIRT
Played in four games and maintained a redshirt season ... totaled three tackles, including one for a loss, in his collegiate debut in the season opener against Southern ... also appeared in wins over SMU, Iowa State and Baylor ... saw fourth-quarter action in the 16-9 victory at Baylor.

1 minute ago, immamac said:

I know this has been covered many times, but once you jump in the portal your roster spot/scholarship is forfeit unless the team wants you back correct? 

Correct. If you can't find a new home and the team doesn't want you back, you're SOL.

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Tarique Milton for Washington is a trade I would make every day of the week. Much more explosive and has some big play ability. Can operate out of the slot.

15 catches last year, but 18.5 yards average per reception.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

15 catches last year, but 18.5 average.

Yep. The one long catch Washington had last year it looked like he had an 18 wheeler on his back, he was caught from behind at the 10 yard line, and the drive stalled out for a field goal.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Rage+1 1

TLDR- It's my opinion that modern recruiting is comprised of these parts:

Traditional recruiting: Facilities, location, history, staff salesmanship, NFL #'s, etc. What we think of as being the old model. 

NIL: The $$$ programs that are completely above board and are registered with the school, and now even coordinated with the IRS. Shout out to the members of this board that have us on the cutting edge of this section. 

Black market recruiting: This is your bag money, but more importantly, your faux NIL "deals". The NIL moniker has been used to justify illicit transactions, because the whole underpinning of the new NIL phenomenon is these kids deserve this compensation. 

Transfer Portal free agency: This is the Ewers, Addison, Mathis stuff etc. It is a mix of all three of the above. Tampering may be against the rules, but theres easy loopholes around it, and the whole system is now designed around facilitating these deals. 

It's a really complex system now, and all of those parts are intertwined in different ways for different players. In the future, I agree with those saying robust NIL programs will trump the black market stuff. But I disagree it will be because schools dont want to take the risk. Theres very little risk. It will be because an above board structure will be set in place with $$$ so big, it will trump the black market money being offered. This is what Ive seen people on here refer to as the death star, and should be the ultimate goal.

Here's where I think we are right now, and where I think we need to be focusing: Faux NIL deals are the most effective at the moment. I dont think theres any real way to argue this. I dont agree with people saying this stuff a&m is doing has nothing to do with the NIL. It has everything to do with the NIL. They have taken the spirit of the NIL (paying kids for the perceived value they bring to a program), and combined it with the bag man game. In doing so, they have anticipated a necessary legal defense of their actions the same way big O&G companies do when they blatantly break the rules. Which is, if the NCAA or the State want to come after them, they better be prepared for an extremely long and expensive process. Something the NCAA isnt set up to do, and something the State isnt even inclined to do. But more, it paints any entity that comes after them as the same greedy old men who prevented these talented and deserving young student athletes from receiving due compensation for decades. I think this is the game Texas should be playing, while we assemble the death star on the NIL front. 

• Hook 'Em 6

Looks like Milton was WR3 for Iowa State last season.  By the time Hutchinson and the two TE's got their targets there wasn't a whole lot left for anyone else.

Watched a video of all of his catches from his first two seasons.  Not a blazer but he can outrun a secondary.  No idea about drops - but he did have some pretty good catches and wasn't afraid to take contact.

2 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Are there even repercussions for tampering right now? 

Not unless a coach is dumb enough to contact the player directly. All you have to do is have someone from your camp contact someone from their camp, a HS coach, trainer, uncle, and tell them the offer. This especially true since the money is coming from a third party. 

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

If we won't bid against Nebraska, I see no reason to be optimistic that we will win a bidding war against Georgia.

It hurt to like this post but I’m afraid it’s true. If Land was recruited to the portal by Georgia (as has been posted here) I don’t like our chances. Mrw GIF

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Not unless a coach is dumb enough to contact the player directly. All you have to do is have someone from your camp contact someone from their camp, a HS coach, trainer, uncle, and tell them the offer. This especially true since the money is coming from a third party. 

This.  Despite what Bobby says - I have to believe that Marion has at the very least had a chat with family/friends of Addison.

1 minute ago, Junior Bonner said:

It hurt to like this post but I’m afraid it’s true. If Land was recruited to the portal by Georgia (as has been posted here) I don’t like our chances. Mrw GIF

Someone on IT posted a screenshot from one of the Georgia paysites - mod there didn't think they were interested but he was 'checking'.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Junior Bonner said:

It hurt to like this post but I’m afraid it’s true. If Land was recruited to the portal by Georgia (as has been posted here) I don’t like our chances. 

Yeah it's highly unlikely. With that said, NIL offers aren't just about how much money you can sling. They're also about how bad you want/need the guy. Ex: Nebraska/Mathis. For all we know, UGA may view him as a 2nd stringer considering how much they already have on their roster. If that's the case, they probably won't bid as much as another big program who views him as a surefire starter.

From Bobby:

IT also believes the Longhorns are looking at other positions and multiple players in the portal, primarily on defense.

Just as a reminder - Washington opened up one spot, but after that any portal player Texas brings in will require a currently roster'd player to portal of medical retire. 

10 hours ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

Top 5 class means nothing to me. I look at the players as well as how many elite athletes in the top 100 nationally. How many near 5 stars? In most years, Texas, with the help of fake evaluators, land a bunch of middle of the road 4-star recruits who are way overrated. There are not 400 recruits worthy of a 4-star ranking. I doubt there's really 200 kids worthy of it. This leads to the perception of a great class ranked in the top 10. It usually isn't accurate at Texas.

This class was the best we've had in a long time. It is top 10 worthy, but will need for Sark to hit on evaluations at an elite rate. Evaluations, aka predictions, are not something that most humans are good at.

How many first targets did Texas land in the high school ranks? We landed ONE top 100 player in the country that wasn't an offensive lineman bought by the NIL (and that NIL is going to have to go way, way up to keep up in the future). That player, Terrance Brooks, who I do think is going to be a very good player, has very slow track times. This is much harder to research now after COVID, so I could be wrong. But that is a trend at Texas. A bunch of slow players. Many times they lack other qualities as well. That is not the case here. He does have length, hip flexibility, good reactionary time, and a bunch of other stuff you like to see. Biggest thing is he is very young for his age, so he may have gotten faster.

Three total top 100 recruits isn't going to cut it.

We landed ZERO top 10 players in the state of Texas outside of that offensive line.

We landed SIXTEEN recruits ranked 275 or lower. That's not going to cut it at a blueblood in the long term. You can get lucky once or twice but not long term.

We did better out of state than many years, but even that needs to be much better.

This is supposed to be a blueblood program.

The defensive side, top to bottom, wasn't up to par. In fact, it is severely lacking for a blueblood. Could be some great evolutions in there though. But you just can't sustain that year to year at a blueblood. You have to land the elite studs.

Wide receiver struggled and was saved by the portal. The QB, if he can develop, will be a huge plus and could even bring a Big 12 title before he leaves here. It still comes back to sustainability. There has to be a foundation of stuff where you go, yeah, the way we recruited that class will work every year. Instead, without the admins help, we are a mess every year. It's way too much of a rollercoaster and gimmicky than it should be at a blueblood. And we usually end up with an entire class of so-called 4-stars ranked 250 and lower in the so-called evaluators online lists. It happens so regularly for 2 reasons:

1. We get way too many leftover scraps after the other bluebloods pay for who they want. 

2. The recruiting services need to make money and there is no better way to make money than to keep the largest, richest fan base in America engaged in your service.

Congratulations on your success!!!  Or, sorry that happened to you.  Prayers

TLDR

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

From Bobby:

Just as a reminder - Washington opened up one spot, but after that any portal player Texas brings in will require a currently roster'd player to portal of medical retire. 

They better be. Running back the same coaching staff and only adding one transfer to last year’s defense would be Charlie Strong levels of program management. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This.  Despite what Bobby says - I have to believe that Marion has at the very least had a chat with family/friends of Addison.

Addison is a dude that doesn't make sense to Texas right now. I have no doubts that Marion tried to pull him when he first came over, but I doubt we are in the sweepstakes now. 

9 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Why would a team like Georgia who's had a Top 4 recruiting class for the last 6 years need to hunt the portal? 

Reveal hidden contents

SvX7.gif

Why does Alabama do it? If you can find a piece that fits your schemes and improves your team then you do it. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Anwar is saying Jahdae Barron is in fact the other player being mentioned. NIL driven.

Being mentioned as in "he submitted his paperwork" or as in "there are rumors / we had to fight others off"?

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

It's not simply "NIL driven" and there's 1 other DB that is also worth watching (Crawford). 

Guessing he doesn't like the move to the slot?

Also wouldn't they both have had to submit their paperwork by yesterday? I know there are 48 hours to show up in the portal but I think they'd have had to submit by now.

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

It's not simply "NIL driven" and there's 1 other DB that is also worth watching (Crawford). 

If we lose Barron and Crawford, I see little reason to pay attention this season. In fact, I would agree with Macklin in that I would consider our management of the defense as negligence.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Bevo said:

If we lose Barron and Crawford, I see little reason to pay attention this season. In fact, I would agree with Macklin in that I would consider our management of the defense as negligence.

Crawford isn't even a starter and hasn't ever really seen the field so let's not get too dramatic. It'd suck to lose him but not some kind of fireable offense.

Losing Barron would indeed be a case of negligence.

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)