2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Just look at pro sports. I can envision lock-outs, schools suspending their programs, etc. I realize this sounds pretty difficult to believe. 

It will be interesting how this plays out,  but yes it could get real crazy before it settles down.  

31 minutes ago, Deej said:

Time to bring back the sit out a year if you transfer rule. 

That would fix a ton of it, but I am not sure they can walk it back at this point without getting sued. You could argue it stifles the market for NIL opportunity. 

I would like to see something similar to pro contracts, where a player under contract can't go anywhere until the term of that contract is up. In this case it could be a scholarship term. If we offer guys 1 year scholarships, then we are open season as far as those coming due every year. If we offer guys multi year scholarships, then we lock them up until the term ends and it becomes impermissible for any NIL deal attached to another school while they are under current scholarship term.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

What about one that wasn't really all conference (preseason... Phil Steele) and was passed up on the Charlotte depth chart for last month of last season?

Ah is that what they were referencing? Damn, nvm we may actually have better options on campus then 😕

Monday 6:22pm:

Inside Texas has been told that there is still no agreement in place with the current Texas player discussed earlier today.

Will there be one? Will the player still enter the portal?

All fair questions, neither of which we have the answer to. But it appears it is going down to the wire.

This is the second game of high stakes poker with Texas players this week.

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Have to wonder what was the reason for the drop. Secondary was banged up and safety play took a nose dive. 

It wasn't a Covid season where a lot of people didn't really give a shit, and 7 of his sacks came in 3 games against Tech, KU, and La Tech. Those games also accounted for 6.5 of his 12.5 TFL.

Edited by HtownHorn

18 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Monday 6:22pm:

Inside Texas has been told that there is still no agreement in place with the current Texas player discussed earlier today.

Will there be one? Will the player still enter the portal?

All fair questions, neither of which we have the answer to. But it appears it is going down to the wire.

This is the second game of high stakes poker with Texas players this week.

So we’ve got a TFB - IT source off?

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Do you have any data to support this? Like, Mike Stoops has gone elsewhere and is being productive? Or he was productive somewhere else without his brother? Anything like that? No, you don't have that kind of data. I've posted it before, but the people at Bama think he's a joke and a dipshit, and they tend to like the guys that Saban brings in for rehabilitation.

We were all just a bunch of mouthbreathing morons and you had it the whole way, right? Except, no, this wasn't just a case of Texas fans being idiots because of someone's last name and you have nothing to support the alternative ending being better, other than Choate also sucking. 

Don’t act like it wouldn’t be absolute karma that Stoops was the guy and the Texas fans torpedoed it. It’s what we deserve. 

But bravo on the world class hissy fit there, Brenda, over a fucking joke. 

Edited by Js1

5 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Locker room dynamics around the nation from some of these last minute grabs or saves is going to be interesting. Some players going to be pissed for being "loyal" and underpaid.

We should start posting ridiculous NIL dollars for all of the Aggy players, and then watch as the rest of them all squirm.

It's actually been pretty shocking how much aggy has stayed out of the portal. They've processed like 12 dudes, and their only additions are Max Johnson (who might end up being worse than Calzada - who left), and Overton's brother, who probably never plays a meaningful snap.

Just now, nycHorn said:

It is. Nobody gives a shit.

It's only tampering if the school reaches out to the player directly.

If Lamborghini of Austin calls up Jordan Addison's agent, and says "Does Jordan like Lambos? Bijan Robinson sure loves his. He bought it with the one million dollar sponsorship we gave him. Jordan would probably be worth 2 Million if he was playing in Austin."

3 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

RE: EA CFB 2023, I'm kinda ok with it if the NIL portal stuff doesn't make it into the game.

I think we should make it like baseball where you could play both halves of a double header and 1 game for each team.  transfer at halftime and come out of the other teams tunnel.

27 minutes ago, Deej said:

So how is all this not tampering?

Of course it tampering. The NCAA doesn’t have any legal powers prove the obvious (subpoena), so a moron like Ketch says it isn’t tampering. Unless we are to believe random car dealership owners are calling college players across the country with 0 guidance or assurances from coaching staffs 

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

That would fix a ton of it, but I am not sure they can walk it back at this point without getting sued. You could argue it stifles the market for NIL opportunity. 

I would like to see something similar to pro contracts, where a player under contract can't go anywhere until the term of that contract is up. In this case it could be a scholarship term. If we offer guys 1 year scholarships, then we are open season as far as those coming due every year. If we offer guys multi year scholarships, then we lock them up until the term ends and it becomes impermissible for any NIL deal attached to another school while they are under current scholarship term.

What incentive would a player have to sign such a multi-year deal?  Any attempt to lock up players is going to have to be tied to multi-year NIL guarantees.

10 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Allowing one free transfer was the right thing to do.  Allowing NIL was also the right thing to do.  Putting both in place within the same calendar year with little to no oversight was a bad idea.

Free transfer should only be if your coach leaves or does some Penn State shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

wait, PK isn't on the fucking autism spectrum?

Serious question, do you like any coaches? Or is it more of a just hate Texas coaches? Obviously you like saban, Belichik, poppvich…the fucking goat’s. I feel like every thread I read I can find you and @JFKFC going Randolph duke on the coaches, constantly. We won 2 big 12 titles with Mack, checks notes, our second best coach ever. What do you expect from these guys? Christ we nicknamed our head coach sarklostagain. It’s caught on in the surly lexicon. We are on the threshold of hell here Helen. Try finding some solace in the fact that we will probably score 60 points a game and lose by a field goal but got damn it will be exciting. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Serious question, do you like any coaches? Or is it more of a just hate Texas coaches? Obviously you like saban, Belichik, poppvich…the fucking goat’s. I feel like every thread I read I can find you and @JFKFC going Randolph duke on the coaches, constantly. We won 2 big 12 titles with Mack, checks notes, our second best coach ever. What do you expect from these guys? Christ we nicknamed our head coach sarklostagain. It’s caught on in the surly lexicon. We are on the threshold of hell here Helen. Try finding some solace in the fact that we will probably score 60 points a game and lose by a field goal but got damn it will be exciting. 

I'm kinda partial to 7 Loss Steve now but sure Sarklostagain works.  PK sucks but you knew that.  Bo Davis seems competent.  

Pierce is OK, he's at least made the equivalent of football playoffs and final 4.  Beard has a chance to be early Barnes 2.0.  Shaka was awful.

As for football, I am expecting them not to lose to Kansas for 5M+ a year.  whoops.  At this point Tom fucking Herman is our high water mark over the last 9 years.

Mack was second place a bunch given the division situation.  Stoops had his number and sometimes his colon.

We've had 2 second place finishes in the last 12 years one was Mack.  Call me silly but I'd be happy if we can come in second or third in a 10 team league full of CFB misfits.  We can't even do that regularly.  Why? because our coaches suck.

Any other questions. 

Edit: Oh and username and such

Edited by dcar00
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Bo Davis seems competent.  

bo davis has a presence and has coached at bama and so he’s assumed to be competent. the DL  regressed last season, though. we miss giles. 

Edited by futureman
  • Haha 1

Just now, futureman said:

bo davis has a presence and has coached at bama and so he’s assumed to be competent. the DL has regressed this season, though. we miss giles. 

can't say I totally disagree.  it's a tallest midget scenario on the Defensive side.  I think he's a bad fit with our Pac 12 savant and scheme IMO.

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)