2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

7 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Since when has Texas ever set the market on anything? The narrative is Texas is a  bunch of elitist rich fucks that buy everything but the truth is they are a bunch of miserly old fucks that want to keep their money by not overpaying. As for the rest I'm just trying to figure out the line where it stops being worth it so far the only consensus seems to be don't be a rape factory.

Being rich has always been more important than winning in Texas.

33 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I know everyone is talking about USC, but I told you guys the other night that Bama thinks they're getting him. He's been the guy that I've heard alluded to as the prime example of their approach on tampering, for months. So the USC stuff might be right, but I don't think this one is fait accompli. 

This would make total sense given their WRs looked like ass in their spring game. Would also be a total Saban move to tamper Addison, blame it on LR (because everyone hates him), then act like they stumbled on Addison during his process.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I gotta tell you, I just wasted 45 minutes of my life skimming through the last 20 pages of this shit, and so many of you stupid fucks have your heads shoved so far up your ass it's impressive. And that includes some fucking purported NIL experts and insiders who are all hat and no fucking cattle. That I fucking know. For a board of purportedly smart people, recruitniks, and mostly fucking attorneys by all accounts you'd think some of you would have taken the extra 30 minutes or so to have actually read the NIL and the Texas laws on the matter. Throwing fucking stones are Immamac because he gives a shit about doing it the right way is wildly hilarious for me for two things: 

1.) Integrity is personally important to me, and that's wonderful in this endeavor because IT DOESN'T EFFECT THE BOTTOM LINE AT ALL. We can do things with integrity, and the right way, and guess what, rising tides still lift all ships. A lot of these motherfuckers who have announced deals, like OU, are doing it without the fucking money and trying to spin some plates and hope their donors wake up. Get back to me when those checks start, or stop, being cashed this fall. Because you know what isn't easy? Raising 4.25 million dollars per year for an unproven model using the idea you came up with and explaining it to a bunch of rich, but conservative skeptics, who dont fucking get it. Jesus, most of this board still doesn't understand it and you're supposedly the fucking experts.

2.) Everything you read about #1 is also completely irrelevant. Because donors can pay whatever they fucking want for a fucking autograph of a player, and never have to report a goddam thing to a football compliance board. So while everyone wants to bitch about one NIL business model over another, as long as there is money and that autograph loophole exists, it's all people bitching about the deck chairs in the titanic. Except not really, because it's 2 different things entirely. There's a long term NIL program that will benefit perception and recruiting, and then there's Bobby Lowder rain-makers who are going to show up and make some impact because it's sexy. One has staying power. One does not. 

Really well said.  #2, I've contended, has always been the easy button for special situations and one offs.  You need $5,000,000 to sign arch?  You get 50 guys together to pay $100,000 each for an exclusive autograph or some such shit. Or one guy buys 10 of them and 2 guys buy 5 and 30 guys buy one.  Whatever.  I'd like to see some powder dry for that kind of thing, but the vast majority of the stuff always makes sense in the collective approach that y'all got going.

I remember back to that meeting when I was asking- what would it take to try to sign WR #2 from the portal, and I was thinking 100k or some such.  And I knew this was going to go the way it did. But it honestly has 1 more zero on it than I thought it would.  Which is a lot taking things from mid 5 figures to mid 6 figures for dudes that aren't even all conference and from mid 6 figures to mid 7 figures for guys that are award level winning types. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

College football is just a battle of resources. That’s a battle we can win, and I would take great pleasure in seeing us do so. 

It would be nice if we could allocate our resources in a manner that would allow us to upgrade our turn of the century practice bubble.

32 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

It’s CFC that’s on it. You’d know better than me if they’re capable of matching but I was just told by a mutual friend that we are indeed in the mix. 

Figured CFC would be involved but that is sizeable if the numbers I’ve heard are real. Maybe I’m just a doubter but that’s a hefty chunk to raise

4 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Figured CFC would be involved but that is sizeable if the numbers I’ve heard are real. Maybe I’m just a doubter but that’s a hefty chunk to raise

It may just be me,  but I dont see how Addison is realistic. Neyor looks pretty fucking good, so do you bench Whittington? Are we just going to say fuck it and try to score 70 every week with no defense? Inquiring minds want.. nay.. need to know.

Just now, Vertigo said:

It may just be me,  but I dont see how Addison is realistic. Neyor looks pretty fucking good, so do you bench Whittington? Are we just going to say fuck it and try to score 70 every week with no defense? Inquiring minds want.. nay.. need to know.

We should try to score 70 every week. Irrespective of how good or bad the defense is. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I guess Barron was more of a “pay me or I’ll leave” thing since he doesn’t have a ton of quality game time to get recruited out?

Still doesnt stop schools from throwing numbers at guys. If I were Texas, I would be throwing big numbers at aggys class and forcing them to ante up to keep them. Drive up the payrolll to a stupid amount, and then have the BMDs revolt when he loses 4 games again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

Still doesnt stop schools from throwing numbers at guys. If I were Texas, I would be throwing big numbers at aggys class and forcing them to ante up to keep them. Drive up the payrolll to a stupid amount, and then have the BMDs revolt when he loses 4 games again.

That's what you do after the whole team is funded and you're sitting on a 100 million dollar fund that just burns off the interest every year for players and continues to grow year over year.

Let me know if you know guys who want to chip about 98 million. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

That's what you do after the whole team is funded and you're sitting on a 100 million dollar fund that just burns off the interest every year for players and continues to grow year over year.

Sounds like you are almost there.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Do you think they need a demolition expert? I know a guy whose got experience and is looking for work right now. 

tom-herman.gif

Dont be absurd. That motherfucker has 25 million in the bank of Texas money and is good for life. You know what isn't expensive? Vodka. 

46 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I gotta tell you, I just wasted 45 minutes of my life skimming through the last 20 pages of this shit, and so many of you stupid fucks have your heads shoved so far up your ass it's impressive. And that includes some fucking purported NIL experts and insiders who are all hat and no fucking cattle. That I fucking know. For a board of purportedly smart people, recruitniks, and mostly fucking attorneys by all accounts you'd think some of you would have taken the extra 30 minutes or so to have actually read the NIL and the Texas laws on the matter. Throwing fucking stones are Immamac because he gives a shit about doing it the right way is wildly hilarious for me for two things: 

1.) Integrity is personally important to me, and that's wonderful in this endeavor because IT DOESN'T EFFECT THE BOTTOM LINE AT ALL. We can do things with integrity, and the right way, and guess what, rising tides still lift all ships. A lot of these motherfuckers who have announced deals, like OU, are doing it without the fucking money and trying to spin some plates and hope their donors wake up. Get back to me when those checks start, or stop, being cashed this fall. Because you know what isn't easy? Raising 4.25 million dollars per year for an unproven model using the idea you came up with and explaining it to a bunch of rich, but conservative skeptics, who dont fucking get it. Jesus, most of this board still doesn't understand it and you're supposedly the fucking experts.

2.) Everything you read about #1 is also completely irrelevant. Because donors can pay whatever they fucking want for a fucking autograph of a player, and never have to report a goddam thing to a football compliance board. So while everyone wants to bitch about one NIL business model over another, as long as there is money and that autograph loophole exists, it's all people bitching about the deck chairs in the titanic. Except not really, because it's 2 different things entirely. There's a long term NIL program that will benefit perception and recruiting, and then there's Bobby Lowder rain-makers who are going to show up and make some impact because it's sexy. One has staying power. One does not. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Deej said:

If you are tampering, you aren't playing by the rules. 

I think the issue is coach talks to uncle, uncle talks to player.   Uncle sees size of check and says "GET IN THE MOTHERFUCKER!"

VP George H W Bush out front should have told ya...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Dont be absurd. That motherfucker has 25 million in the bank of Texas money and is good for life. You know what isn't expensive? Vodka. 

A personal "wife tackler" might cost a bit, though, for when Michelle's drinking that vodka at 36k feet and decides she wants to step out for some fresh air.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

In retrospect, this was the beginning of the end for him

Tom Herman is absolutely, positively the kind of guy that runs back over immediately to take another swing instead of pausing a second to laugh his ass off at what just happened. "I can do it guys, stand back!!"

18 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

On a serious note- if that is the target and you want to have any chance of reaching that it means that what- someone has to come to the table with at least 25 million?  Typically I think the rule in fundraising is that you aren't going to more than 4X your biggest donation.

I love UT sports. I can't imagine how much money I'd have to be worth (likely there is no amount) where I'd kick in 25,000,000 to a slush fund to pay players at UT. With $25,000,000.00 you can actually look for and solve some real world problems other than- why has UT football sucked for 12 years?   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Really well said.  #2, I've contended, has always been the easy button for special situations and one offs.  You need $5,000,000 to sign arch?  You get 50 guys together to pay $100,000 each for an exclusive autograph or some such shit. Or one guy buys 10 of them and 2 guys buy 5 and 30 guys buy one.  Whatever.  I'd like to see some powder dry for that kind of thing, but the vast majority of the stuff always makes sense in the collective approach that y'all got going.

I remember back to that meeting when I was asking- what would it take to try to sign WR #2 from the portal, and I was thinking 100k or some such.  And I knew this was going to go the way it did. But it honestly has 1 more zero on it than I thought it would.  Which is a lot taking things from mid 5 figures to mid 6 figures for dudes that aren't even all conference and from mid 6 figures to mid 7 figures for guys that are award level winning types. 

Sounds like you are saying we are going to need a Jerry Jones BPA draft list and 24/7 war room.

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

On a serious note- if that is the target and you want to have any chance of reaching that it means that what- someone has to come to the table with at least 25 million?  Typically I think the rule in fundraising is that you aren't going to more than 4X your biggest donation.

I love UT sports. I can't imagine how much money I'd have to be worth (likely there is no amount) where I'd kick in 25,000,000 to a slush fund to pay players at UT. With $25,000,000.00 you can actually look for and solve some real world problems other than- why has UT football sucked for 12 years?   

Of you raise money ahead of your needs for a number of years, invest it, hope for some returns, and wake up in 5-8 and all of a sudden you're pretty close to the mark.  Listen, I'm an optimist. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Of you raise money ahead of your needs for a number of years, invest it, hope for some returns, and wake up in 5-8 and all of a sudden you're pretty close to the mark.  Listen, I'm an optimist. 

World never got changed and no problems ever got fixed by people shitting all over those that have taken on a job- don't let me stand in your way and good luck. That is a plan, that requires a lot of foresight and commitment to a process and getting things done along with a ton of faith in the people doing the work.  If yall can do that, I mean, that would be pretty special.  Can't even get bricks or tickets from the school for something like this, can you?

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You can enjoy posting funny clips all you want, but I've spent more time writing documents, at meetings, lining up charities, on the phone and on fucking zoom calls in the last 6 months on this shit, for fucking free, than you can possibly know. And quite honestly probably an amount that I'd be embarrassed to publicly admit. And you know what that helped get us? The first of it's kind program in the country to compensate Texas athletes for supporting and bringing awareness to charitable endeavors. So yeah, maybe I get a little hangry what a bunch of guys on what is supposedly the most educated fan site around can't bother to read or understand NIL rules get critical of what we've accomplished when most of them won't even do the equivalent of wiping the cheeto dust off their fingers and onto their sweatpants to help Texas get out of this shitpile of fandom we're all enduring. 

And to think, CTJ just tries to pass you off as a shitty developer. 

13 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

World never got changed and no problems ever got fixed by people shitting all over those that have taken on a job- don't let me stand in your way and good luck. That is a plan, that requires a lot of foresight and commitment to a process and getting things done along with a ton of faith in the people doing the work.  If yall can do that, I mean, that would be pretty special.  Can't even get bricks or tickets from the school for something like this, can you?

No. Right now the AD views us as either a) transitory or b) a threat to their own donations. Or both. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

No. 

Yeah that's tough. I mean, usually with fundraising people get to play up to the ego and say shit like- you will get platinum level recognition, or you will go out in an email, or you will get back stage access, or or or.  With this you get, nothing, to speak of. I mean, I'm not naive enough to think that if you cough up money to make something happen that doesn't come with the implication that you will get some access at high levels, but what about the dude that might chip in 10k if he gets to be part of a 20 person dinner at Sark's house and tell all his friends that and snap pictures.  You don't get that kind of access or swag or anything and that's got to make it even tougher I'd think.

30 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I gotta say, I'm starting to think that Make Texas Football Stop Sucking is somewhere in the neighborhood of Stop Human Trafficking and Lasting Middle East Peace on the difficulty list based on recent history. 

• Hook 'Em 4

55 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Some guy tried to trade me for his 98 million best buy coupons the other day so this hits close to home

38 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You can enjoy posting funny clips all you want, but I've spent more time writing documents, at meetings, lining up charities, on the phone and on fucking zoom calls in the last 6 months on this shit, for fucking free, than you can possibly know. And quite honestly probably an amount that I'd be embarrassed to publicly admit. And you know what that helped get us? The first of it's kind program in the country to compensate Texas athletes for supporting and bringing awareness to charitable endeavors. So yeah, maybe I get a little hangry what a bunch of guys on what is supposedly the most educated fan site around can't bother to read or understand NIL rules get critical of what we've accomplished when most of them won't even do the equivalent of wiping the cheeto dust off their fingers and onto their sweatpants to help Texas get out of this shitpile of fandom we're all enduring. 

Sometimes they land sometimes they bomb.  I took a chance.  Sucks to hear the AD looking at this as competition though.  That’s incredibly obtuse of them.  I would think those greedy motherfuckers would see this as an opportunity to make even more money and ask y’all to help with weaponizing basketball and baseball as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)