The 2021 Gold Cup

Knoxtnhorn

6 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Dear Mexico, I Love your country, I love your music, booze, food, history, culture, etc. 

I fucking hate El Tri and your fans. FUCK YOU PUTOS. 

Best part of tonight is Vegas is full of pissed off Mexican fans drinking modelo and shitty tequila bitching about el Yanqui and adding to our tax coffers. 

That’s Daddy Yanqui to El Tri fan.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Ha-ha!  Eat a dick CONCACAF aggy.

Yea ok. But like aggy ur first thought is someone eatin dick.
That was a pathetic effort by a mexico c team. Congrats.
But u sound like aggy fuckin ur sheep after beating a shitty so carolina like team.
Mexico played like shit. So did the usa. Was like a retard fight.
Congrats though on the win.
  • Fuck You 9

11 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

But u sound like aggy fuckin ur sheep after beating a shitty so carolina like team.

Mexico started 7 of the same players they started in the Nations League final. The US had one starter from the Nations League final. Yeah, "Mexico C team", right...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

And then you have this shit

Martino out talk have begun? They were already started. Grumbling started when Mexico failed to win the Nations League.

It was pretty much said BEFORE the tournament, when the rosters were announced, it was Gold Cup or bust for Martino. Last night Lalas called this a must win game for Tata.

I'm curious to see if he does survive this.

8 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

It's over. The USMNT has permanently surpassed El Tri.  You are going down in Azteca in WCQ and going forward your only hope for staying close to the US will be to rely on Mexican-Americans who don't want to battle for a spot on the USMNT.  

The irrelevant era of Mexican dominance

1934 - 1990: 23 Mexico wins, 2 USA wins, 3 ties

The era of parity

1991 - 2019: 17 USA wins, 13 Mexico wins, 12 ties

The relevant era of USA dominance

2020 - End of world: 2 USA wins, 0 Mexico wins, 0 ties

• Hook 'Em 1

KISS THE CROWN.   USMNT are the Kings of CONCACAF 

now go get your fucking shinebox. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, Jersey Man10 said:

Mexico deserved to lose what the fuck was that shit Jesus H Christ. Played like a bunch of pussy ass bitches and lubed their asses in the process. This team has no heart. No chemistry. Just everyone doing their own shit. I ain’t even mad that was just disappointing as fuck.

Congrats you assholes.

Anyone trying to sell this as some team of Mexico scrubs is delusional or just trying to cope with reality. This wasn't their 100% A+ squad, but this was as close as Mexico was getting while also trying to win the Olympic Gold. I would call it more of an A- squad.

12 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Is Mexico done? No, but they clearly have some development issue. I think the inclusion of Rogelio Mori is indicative of that. The guy is good, but Mexico should be cranking out players so they aren't needing to call up Argentine born players.

The US is going to be sending their #1s against Mexico for a long time. Once the schedule stabilizes, the Gold Cup is going to see the US send a #1 team there in the next cycle. I don't know what the next cycle holds for Mexico, but the USMNT is full steam ahead.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Anyone trying to sell this as some team of Mexico scrubs is delusional or just trying to cope with reality. This wasn't their 100% A+ squad, but this was as close as Mexico was getting while also trying to win the Olympic Gold. I would call it more of an A- squad.

Is Mexico done? No, but they clearly have some development issue. I think the inclusion of Rogelio Mori is indicative of that. The guy is good, but Mexico should be cranking out players so they aren't needing to call up Argentine born players.

The US is going to be sending their #1s against Mexico for a long time. Once the schedule stabilizes, the Gold Cup is going to see the US send a #1 team there in the next cycle. I don't know what the next cycle holds for Mexico, but the USMNT is full steam ahead.

You know this is funny.  Funny to me that is.  I have a kid who plays and follow the local (DFW) FB groups and there are SOOO many posts about how wrong we are in the US about development.  

Every team complains when they lose that the winning team only plays "kick ball" and doesn't play "soccer". That the coaches don't develop kids or care about anything but winning.  While I would certainly admit there's a part to that, most coaches try to develop the kids while being competitive.

I SOOOO want to post on some of these pages that mexico clearly has it wrong in player development and that their youth coaches are terrible and the priorities are in the wrong places and a million other things.  

There are cycles in each country/team and we were clearly on a low one for the past ~5 years.  If you can't look at the current crop of players, even this B-/C+ squad and see a difference, I'm not sure we'd agree on much.  

A lot to work on for sure, at all levels, but A LOT to be optimistic of as well.

The vast majority of El Tri fans have zero understanding of the evolution of the USMNT player development model.  The current USMNT pool is really the first that includes a bunch of players who were developed in a legitimate academy system.  The US academy system continues to expand and the pool in 5-10 years will consist almost entirely of players who started playing in the academy of a professional club (MLS and/or Europe) no later than U-13 (6th or 7th grade). 

Look at guys like Busio (joined Sporting KC's academy at 14), Sands (joined NYCFC at 15), Bello (joined Atlanta United at 13) and Vines (joined Colorado Rapids at 13).  Going forward, most national team level players will be developed in MLS, USL or European academies and not play any college soccer.  This is a very recent development that only applies to players born after 2000.  It is a permanent change that will forever tilt the balance of power in CONCACAF.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, pied06 said:

You know this is funny.  Funny to me that is.  I have a kid who plays and follow the local (DFW) FB groups and there are SOOO many posts about how wrong we are in the US about development.  

Every team complains when they lose that the winning team only plays "kick ball" and doesn't play "soccer". That the coaches don't develop kids or care about anything but winning.  While I would certainly admit there's a part to that, most coaches try to develop the kids while being competitive.

I SOOOO want to post on some of these pages that mexico clearly has it wrong in player development and that their youth coaches are terrible and the priorities are in the wrong places and a million other things.  

There are cycles in each country/team and we were clearly on a low one for the past ~5 years.  If you can't look at the current crop of players, even this B-/C+ squad and see a difference, I'm not sure we'd agree on much.  

A lot to work on for sure, at all levels, but A LOT to be optimistic of as well.

The old club soccer system is now a development ground for college soccer players.  In the future, USMNT players will almost exclusively be developed in professional academies. 

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, alincoln said:

The old club soccer system is now a development ground for college soccer players.  In the future, USMNT players will almost exclusively be developed in professional academies. 

Agree, the DA folded, but the MLS next is taking its place.  There are still a lot of issues in the youth game, but a more clear path now.  

10 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

The new USL Academy league will ultimately replace the DA.  MLS Next is a true academy system that is just at another level from anything US soccer has ever offered.  The biggest benefit of MLS expansion is MLS academy expansion.  

Interested to hear more about this league and how it fits into the current lansdcape.  Is this players going semi-pro now?  

thanks, read some of that, but still not sure whos' participating.  Think Texas United is affiliated with the Texans, but haven't seen anything about that.  They had no team in MLS next last season and the word was they would move their ECNL Academy team to the ML Next ream, but little concrete.  

34 minutes ago, alincoln said:

The Texas teams are AHFC Royals, Houston FC, RGV Toros, San Antonio FC and Texas United.  

Got it, but still don't know who's playing on these teams.  What are the age groups or are there age groups?

WHY WAS THE USL ACADEMY MODEL CREATED?

• VISION
    • With the launch of USL Academy, United Soccer League now has an elite youth platform to offer to its clubs in the Championship, League One, and League Two. As such, these clubs can now develop a more clearly-defined path for top youth prospects in their area to reach the professional level & sign directly with their senior team.
  • STRATEGIC GOAL
    • This new structure for future USL Academy programs will provide USL clubs a progressive model to develop local players for the senior team, at a fraction of the cost of traditional pre-professional academies. Doing so will also allow far more clubs & communities to participate, allowing for a regional footprint that limits travel demand to teams & families.

I know AHFC (Albion) and Texas UNited seems to be part of the Dallas Texans (both are playing in League), but there is little info as to who is playing on these teams.

From the Albion it appears they now have a SL team that they will be funneling players to.

Boys ECNL Program

Boys ECNL is quickly becoming the best league in the nation. The ECNL is committed to developing top level players through conference and cross conference matches, College showcase events, ECNL National training camp, and the new addition of the ECNL Super Cup. For more information on the AHFC Boys ECNL program, please contact Michael Terrell.

Boys ECRL Program
In March of 2021, the ECNL Boys is pleased to announce the creation of four separate Regional Leagues to begin in the 2021-22 season. These four leagues will be the ECNL Regional League – Northeast, ECNL Regional League – Southeast, ECNL Regional League – Texas and ECNL Regional League – Northwest. Each Regional League will have programming for ages U13-U19, with the exception of the ECNL Regional League – Northwest, which will only include U15-U19.  For more information on the AFHC Boys ECRL program, please contact Miguel Samayoa.

AHFC is proud to be a part of the Boys ECNL and ECRL and offer our players the platform to compete on a regional and national level. With the addition of our USL 2 franchise, AHFC Royals, our players have the ultimate pathway to becoming top level collegiate and professional athletes.

https://www.albionhurricanes.org/Default.aspx?tabid=1004269

23 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Initially, there will be one team at the USL level comprised of the best players from the high school age teams at the club (U-15 to U-19). An all-star team of all-star teams.   

Here is  the roster for Texas United.  Only looked at the firs two players, but the first is a Sr at University of South Carolina - Upstate and the second will be a Jr at SMU.  Not sure how that equates to youth development in the near term, but am clearly missing something.

Texas United roster:

https://www.uslleaguetwo.com/stats/team_instance/6079396?subseason=731558&tab=team_instance_player_stats&tool=4419204

POL MONELLS

https://upstatespartans.com/sports/mens-soccer/roster/pol--monells/4128

PAPA NDOYE

colonialsavings.zavanta.com/Account/Login?sessionExpired=true&ReturnUrl=https://colonialsavings.zavanta.com/reviewapproval/markup/e7e4301c-41db-467d-af6e-06e3dacb20ae

3 minutes ago, pied06 said:

Here is  the roster for Texas United.  Only looked at the firs two players, but the first is a Sr at University of South Carolina - Upstate and the second will be a Jr at SMU.  Not sure how that equates to youth development in the near term, but am clearly missing something.

Texas United roster:

https://www.uslleaguetwo.com/stats/team_instance/6079396?subseason=731558&tab=team_instance_player_stats&tool=4419204

POL MONELLS

https://upstatespartans.com/sports/mens-soccer/roster/pol--monells/4128

PAPA NDOYE

colonialsavings.zavanta.com/Account/Login?sessionExpired=true&ReturnUrl=https://colonialsavings.zavanta.com/reviewapproval/markup/e7e4301c-41db-467d-af6e-06e3dacb20ae

That is there actual USL League 2 roster, not the academy roster.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

That is there actual USL League 2 roster, not the academy roster.

Thanks, it's hard to determine what is going on.  On the Albion website, it appears their top teams are competing in ECNL/RL but have a pathway to the AHFC Royals.  I don't see where that league has teams at a younger level(although certainly may be missing it.  

AHFC is proud to be a part of the Boys ECNL and ECRL and offer our players the platform to compete on a regional and national level. With the addition of our USL 2 franchise, AHFC Royals, our players have the ultimate pathway to becoming top level collegiate and professional athletes. 

Also that's the way it looks on their pyramid picture.

ahfc%20leagues.jpg

I believe that the USL Academy team includes the best players from their high school age ECNL teams.  I imagine that you have to make an ECNL team for your age group to be considered for the USL Academy team.  This league is still in its infancy but it makes sense to provide the best players an opportunity to play outside of the narrow confines of a birth year age group.   

Got it, and thanks again.  I know that there are a good number f kids playing up n age group in ECNL/MLS Next now.  FCD has an '06 GK(Eyestone) that has played with the 05s/04s and an '06 (Corcoran) mid that has played up as well as  with their farm team North Texas SC.

20 hours ago, ztejas said:

Look... Acosta has been fine. But long term we can't have a 6 that can't at least deliver a corner in bounds for fuck's sake.

19 hours ago, Chips O'Toole said:

Perfect placement from Acosta. 

I believe that it was on this board a month or two ago where I was pimping Acosta as the best set piece taker on the USMNT and Busio was getting ridiculously pimped.

Well, unfortunately Lletget was taking a ton of set pieces this entire Gold Cup, but when he went out, the responsibility was passed to Acosta and he excelled. Even though Busio was tapped to take set pieces earlier in the tournament, he did not begin taking them when he came onto the pitch 21 minutes after Lletget had left. Acosta continued to be the man.

We have learned two things:

1) Berhalter was more than willing to let players fail during this tournament so that he could see how they would handle the pressure and what skills they had. He wasn't going to add pressure to a player's shoulders by using a short leash. Except for Jackson Yueill, who failed during Nations League and to a lesser extent during Olympic Qualifying, he wanted to give players several opportunities to succeed... or fail.

2) Kellyn Acosta serves up the best set piece balls out of USMNT's B/C team and possibly out of the entire USMNT pool. Other than one corner kick that he took to try to score directly, his set pieces were always dangerous in the last 50+ minutes last night. They were European quality set pieces and the way he played, combined with his set piece ability may finally earn him the move to Europe that he has been wanting for 5 years.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I believe that it was on this board a month or two ago where I was pimping Acosta as the best set piece taker on the USMNT and Busio was getting ridiculously pimped.

Well, unfortunately Lletget was taking a ton of set pieces this entire Gold Cup, but when he went out, the responsibility was passed to Acosta and he excelled. Even though Busio was tapped to take set pieces earlier in the tournament, he did not begin taking them when he came onto the pitch 21 minutes after Lletget had left. Acosta continued to be the man.

We have learned two things:

1) Berhalter was more than willing to let players fail during this tournament so that he could see how they would handle the pressure and what skills they had. He wasn't going to add pressure to a player's shoulders by using a short leash. Except for Jackson Yueill, who failed during Nations League and to a lesser extent during Olympic Qualifying, he wanted to give players several opportunities to succeed... or fail.

2) Kellyn Acosta serves up the best set piece balls out of USMNT's B/C team and possibly out of the entire USMNT pool. Other than one corner kick that he took to try to score directly, his set pieces were always dangerous in the last 50+ minutes last night. They were European quality set pieces and the way he played, combined with his set piece ability may finally earn him the move to Europe that he has been wanting for 5 years.

I made that comment after he literally kicked a corner out of bounds. It was following his attempt on goal. You know how I roll here...  I bitch about individual plays when they happen. I've been mostly positive about him outside of that.