Sell. Me. A TV.

I take it no OLED burn in issues?  My dear old LG 60” plasma upstairs sounded like a gunshot one night and quit…Y Sus board had some blown transistors so sent it off, may need bigger boards too.  

Why am I repairing a decade old plasma?  Because for maybe $200 I hope to keep it alive in the light-controlled game room until my wife executes a major overhaul up there.  Until I know final decor, not sure on size or type…good TVs just get cheaper so time is my buddy and I don’t want a $500 HiSense for now.  

Obviously love the plasma black levels, which my Samsung QLED downstairs can’t touch.  Worry is I’ve got a Wii, Switch dock and PS3 (for Band of Brothers on Blu-ray)…and concerned about kids leaving a future OLED on a frozen screen for hours unbeknownst to me.  

So curious about experience there, as if either get a 65” OLED or something like a 75” LCD full array type up there.  Haven’t really had issues with the plasma once I run the ‘wash’ cycle for a bit, but have had logos temporarily stuck on.  

On the prime day deal, my dad had been telling me he wanted me to take him to Costco to get a new TV. They live across town so I had him measure the current TV cabinet. It's some monstrosity from Costco about a decade ago where the TV can mechanically be lowered into the cabinet. Of course they have not lowered this once since they bought it. But my mom apparently liked this cabinet so they were going to keep it. 

Last time we were over there he got cold feet because he thought my mom was mad about it. But he had me look at the cabinet to see if it would be easy to get the old TV off. Regardless the plan was going to be that the new TV would sit on top of the cabinet, with the mechanism lowered. He wanted a bigger TV than would fit. Ok cool. That was a few weeks ago.

So I hit him up when I see this deal. I double checked the measurements and it was perfect. He gives me the ok to pull the trigger. It's being delivered and set up Monday. (Currently listed at $2448 btw, nice savings of a cool grand)

I asked him if he wanted me to come help him try to get the other TV out. He said no he would ask my brother to help him as he lives much closer. I text him today and he casually tells me that they couldn't get the old TV out so he called a mover and had them throw the entire thing out. I asked what he was going to put the tv on and he said the floor for now and my mom was going to get a new cabinet.

Old people... Oh well it's still a damn good deal. He's half blind, I could have gotten him an 80" if the cabinet hadn't been the limiting factor. 

I take it no OLED burn in issues?  My dear old LG 60” plasma upstairs sounded like a gunshot one night and quit…Y Sus board had some blown transistors so sent it off, may need bigger boards too.  

Why am I repairing a decade old plasma?  Because for maybe $200 I hope to keep it alive in the light-controlled game room until my wife executes a major overhaul up there.  Until I know final decor, not sure on size or type…good TVs just get cheaper so time is my buddy and I don’t want a $500 HiSense for now.  

Obviously love the plasma black levels, which my Samsung QLED downstairs can’t touch.  Worry is I’ve got a Wii, Switch dock and PS3 (for Band of Brothers on Blu-ray)…and concerned about kids leaving a future OLED on a frozen screen for hours unbeknownst to me.  

So curious about experience there, as if either get a 65” OLED or something like a 75” LCD full array type up there.  Haven’t really had issues with the plasma once I run the ‘wash’ cycle for a bit, but have had logos temporarily stuck on.  

Bought the LG c1 77 oled Friday so only had it a few days . Such a huge difference between led, blacks are blacks and colors pop . Don’t think burn in is a big deal unless you are careless .

Paid 2300 , almost bought in January at 3100 glad I waited .

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, drewlaws said:

It’s new TV time. We mostly watch sports. Not gamers or big movie people. Is OLED the technology we want? Samsung, LG and Sony all have 65” OLED TVs for ~$1700. Are all these basically the same?

IMO, you'll notice the difference if you're watching over the air.  If you're feeding it TV over IP or cable/satellite, just buy a mid-range/cheapish 4K panel.  With compression in the transmission in a non-light controlled viewing room, you'll be hard-pressed to see the difference.

IMO, you'll notice the difference if you're watching over the air.  If you're feeding it TV over IP or cable/satellite, just buy a mid-range/cheapish 4K panel.  With compression in the transmission in a non-light controlled viewing room, you'll be hard-pressed to see the difference.

We have DirectTV. May switch to streaming at some point during the lifetime of the TV.

Have a ~4 year old TCL that refuses to find WiFi networks. I have reset it multiple times and tried everything I can find online. Have an old fire stick connected for now, but don’t like that set up long term.

Need a cheap smart tv. It’s in the kids playroom and runs Disney+, Netflix, Prime and sometimes I go in there for football games.

Anyone have a Fire TV? 50” for 250. Hisense for 230? Any other options out there?

Have a ~4 year old TCL that refuses to find WiFi networks. I have reset it multiple times and tried everything I can find online. Have an old fire stick connected for now, but don’t like that set up long term.

Need a cheap smart tv. It’s in the kids playroom and runs Disney+, Netflix, Prime and sometimes I go in there for football games.

Anyone have a Fire TV? 50” for 250. Hisense for 230? Any other options out there?
Probably not the solution you want, but when the Wifi crapped out on one of our old TVs we used the newer Chromecast with Google TV. It's the best interface in my opinion and is what came on our Sony OLED. Not a bad option for $30 or whatever they cost now.

That's actually what we do on another older TV as well just because it's better than the outdated native apps. The kids don't know the difference.

On 11/19/2022 at 9:43 AM, drewlaws said:

It’s new TV time. We mostly watch sports. Not gamers or big movie people. Is OLED the technology we want? Samsung, LG and Sony all have 65” OLED TVs for ~$1700. Are all these basically the same?

With the OLED you are buying the black levels. If you dont mind white washed blacks, buy cheap. If not go OLED and never look back. 

the Sony UI > LG

On 11/19/2022 at 9:43 AM, drewlaws said:

I'd just get the LG B2 or something similar no reason for OLED if you aren't watching movies or watching cinematics much. Sports is gonna look great on any panel vs what you have now and you can get a 65" at Costco or sams for less than 900 bucks and it'll be incredible. 

1 minute ago, iodeac said:

We just moved into a new house with a lot more space and I'm really tempted to get the 75 inch Hisense that's on sale for 499. I heard about it on a different site and it has really good reviews on Bestbuy

if you can't tell the difference between 1080p or 4k UHD this is what I'd do if you can, you are going to hate that TV.

40 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Does anyone have experience with the laser ultra short throw TVs?

I’m not saying I need a 120” screen in my living room but I need a 120” screen in my living room.

In rooms where you don't have a ton of natural light pouring in they are every bit as good as pre oled tvs, but enormous and don't break the bank. 

• Like 1

if you can't tell the difference between 1080p or 4k UHD this is what I'd do if you can, you are going to hate that TV.
I don't follow. The 75 inch Hisense for 499 is a 4k uhd. Are you saying the picture quality is bad enough to the point that it's basically not even a 4k tv?

45 minutes ago, iodeac said:
3 hours ago, immamac said:

I don't follow. The 75 inch Hisense for 499 is a 4k uhd. Are you saying the picture quality is bad enough to the point that it's basically not even a 4k tv?

Correct if you care about fidelity this is not the TV for you. If you just care that "it's a big TV and looks fine" that's this TV. 

I've got a Hisense 50" panel. The first one went out. They replaced it within a week. Process was easy. Picture looks great

• 6 months later...

Bump.  My Sony Bravia just gave up the ghost after two moves and seven ok years.  Not impressed with the longevity but whatever.  Looks like LG C2 and Samsung QN90B are the consensus choices on ratings that aren’t going to break the bank, but I have a couple of questions.  I have a very bright room so I’ve read OLED may actually not be the best choice.  Secondly I’d like something that is fairly simple to start using the Apple TV since my wife needs to be able to turn it on.  The old one needed to be turned on separately so I had a universal remote but invariably I’d get a call from her that it wasn’t working.

Thoughts?

On 5/25/2023 at 9:44 AM, luke duke said:

Take a look at these rankings:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/sdr-peak-brightness

I bought the QN90A last year (when it was ranked #2) for outdoor use and it blows away everyone of my friend’s outdoor cheapo TVs.

I wound up getting the Hisense U8H.  Just too cheap to spend another 500 bucks and it looks like the main weakness is if you don’t sit in front of it (angled viewing).  Time will tell if I made the right choice.

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

You don't need a new smart tv, you can just buy a fire stick or a roku or a Nvidia Shield and plug it into your current tv with a HDMI cable. 

Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K, streaming device with Alexa, easy to use, TV and smart home controls, free and live TV https://a.co/d/d8sY8LN

Speaking of which, I haven't bought a tv in 5-6 years and smart tv features back then were pretty janky compared to external solutions like Apple TV, Roku, Fire, and Chromecast.

What is the state of smart tv software these days?  Has it gotten better?  Anyone's better than anyone elses?

1 hour ago, Baboontyme said:

You don't need a new smart tv, you can just buy a fire stick or a roku or a Nvidia Shield and plug it into your current tv with a HDMI cable. 

Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K, streaming device with Alexa, easy to use, TV and smart home controls, free and live TV https://a.co/d/d8sY8LN

Thanks. Wife moved one of the Firesticks from a kid's TV to our living room TV, and sure enough, was able to access Youtube TV. Thanks for the advice. 

Now if I go ahead and subscribe to Youtube TV, can I purchase other Firesticks for additional TVs in the house and watch on all using the same subscription? Watch online at the same time?

1 hour ago, squib said:

Thanks. Wife moved one of the Firesticks from a kid's TV to our living room TV, and sure enough, was able to access Youtube TV. Thanks for the advice. 

Now if I go ahead and subscribe to Youtube TV, can I purchase other Firesticks for additional TVs in the house and watch on all using the same subscription? Watch online at the same time?

Yes. I think YTTV limits you to 3 simultaneous streams but otherwise yes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Speaking of which, I haven't bought a tv in 5-6 years and smart tv features back then were pretty janky compared to external solutions like Apple TV, Roku, Fire, and Chromecast.

What is the state of smart tv software these days?  Has it gotten better?  Anyone's better than anyone elses?

I'm not really one to know but was it ever cumbersome? I wouldn't think you would need to consider getting a new TV just for the smart TV software. I like a 3rd party device. My main tv, a Hisense, has a decent interface but I bought the Nvidia Shield for it and I like that better. 

On 9/8/2023 at 7:25 AM, TwiceHorn said:

Repeat after me: Don't rely on the smart features of any TV manufacturer. Just spend the extra $30-$50 for a Roku or Fire Stick, or $130 - $150 for an Apple TV 4K. The GUIs for most TV manufacturers still suck, and there are some streaming apps that aren't even available on certain manufacturers' units (Samsung in particular). 

We just switched from Spectrum cable (streaming) to YTTV. We also have Prime and Apple TV and OTAs. An Apple TV 4K box ($150ish) runs the living room LG OLED and it's slick and seamless. The remaining bedroom and patio TVs all have Roku 4K sticks and work just as well and in some cases the remote for the Roku stick makes navigating a little easier, particularly with YTTV. The Apple Siri remote is sexy as hell and the current generation is MUCH better than the original one. But it's not quite as intuitive as it could be, especially in the dark. One great feature about the Apple remote is the battery life. It's rechargeable and it holds a charge forever. Bonus, you can also choose between a USB-C or Fire Wire for the remote control's recharging input so if you prefer one format over the other you've got an option.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

If you need more/want some higher quality broadcast options, you can add the 4K Plus add-on for like $11 a month. You'll get unlimited streams at home plus 4K content. 

Funny I have the 4k add on and had no idea. Even funnier I was just thinking can't wait to put it to the test tomorrow when I looked up and realized I have 4 games going right now on yttv without thinking about it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/9/2023 at 7:28 PM, Baboontyme said:

Funny I have the 4k add on and had no idea. Even funnier I was just thinking can't wait to put it to the test tomorrow when I looked up and realized I have 4 games going right now on yttv without thinking about it. 

Make sure you “turn on” the channels in your guide if using custom 

• 3 months later...

On the additional "boxes," I have an OG Chromecast and am content with it, but I suppose it will stop working before long as they are no longer supported.

So, I guess leg up to Chromecast for familiarity.  Other than Apple TV, should I seriously consider Roku or Firestick?  I am particularly fond of using the casting feature to send music to tv and out to high quality stereo receiver DSP.

Not sure I can really duplicate that with any of the others.

On the additional "boxes," I have an OG Chromecast and am content with it, but I suppose it will stop working before long as they are no longer supported.
So, I guess leg up to Chromecast for familiarity.  Other than Apple TV, should I seriously consider Roku or Firestick?  I am particularly fond of using the casting feature to send music to tv and out to high quality stereo receiver DSP.
Why not just get one of the newer Chromecasts? We have those on the older TV's without the Google interface pre-installed and love it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Okie State said:
3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Why not just get one of the newer Chromecasts? We have those on the older TV's without the Google interface pre-installed and love it.

That's what I mean, another CC or something else?  My first tendency would be another one just due to familiarity and casting.  But google.  Also kind of anti-amazon for similar reasons, so Roku would probably be second choice, and I think it's probably "friendlier" but less configurable.

• Like 1

So, here's the deal.  Moved into a new house with a built-in for a TV.  but it's older and won't hold my existing extra-large Sony.

So, needed to find something smaller.  I'm not sure I really appreciate all this 4k OLED local-dimming stuff and because I am confined in size, was thinking I'd get one of the bargain sets.

This is a fairly screaming deal on an OLED set https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-48-class-a2-series-oled-4k-uhd-smart-webos-tv/6501902.p?skuId=6501902 but, being LG, has their meh OS.  So, I did another Chromecast.

Seems like a pretty good set up.  

I still think opening netflix or whatever on a device and casting it to the CC is easier than navigating even google tv.

On 12/18/2023 at 6:58 AM, TwiceHorn said:

So, here's the deal.  Moved into a new house with a built-in for a TV.  but it's older and won't hold my existing extra-large Sony.

So, needed to find something smaller.  I'm not sure I really appreciate all this 4k OLED local-dimming stuff and because I am confined in size, was thinking I'd get one of the bargain sets.

This is a fairly screaming deal on an OLED set https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-48-class-a2-series-oled-4k-uhd-smart-webos-tv/6501902.p?skuId=6501902 but, being LG, has their meh OS.  So, I did another Chromecast.

Seems like a pretty good set up.  

I still think opening netflix or whatever on a device and casting it to the CC is easier than navigating even google tv.

How much bigger than the opening is the TV?  We have a built-in upstairs and when the world's greatest Samsung LED from forever ago eventually dies (or maybe it doesn't), we'd like to go larger and just "wall mount" it to a stud we would add to the edge of opening, which would allow the TV to be slightly larger and still appear flush (if that makes any sense).

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, dcbc said:

How much bigger than the opening is the TV?  We have a built-in upstairs and when the world's greatest Samsung LED from forever ago eventually dies (or maybe it doesn't), we'd like to go larger and just "wall mount" it to a stud we would add to the edge of opening, which would allow the TV to be slightly larger and still appear flush (if that makes any sense).

In height, almost an inch. In width, just slightly smaller.  I had considered various solutions, but am not all that enamored with size.  So, I figured downsizing a little (Sony is 55, LG is 48), but upgrading the panel tech might be a good compromise because I really  don't think I'm all that sensitive to "picture quality."

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m in the exact same boat as you, Twicehorn. Gorgeous built ins in the living room and master bedrooms but size limited, probably a max of 43”

One neat thing is that both have large closed natural gas fireplaces that vent so that their top sills don’t put off heat, so it won’t melt the TVs.

My wife and I will each have large vaulted rooms and the current high end 65” Sonys will go in there.

I expect to spend a lot of time on the huge covered back patio, I’ll have to figure that out.

My next project is home theatre with surrounds.

I’m over the moon about my new place.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

I’m in the exact same boat as you, Twicehorn. Gorgeous built ins in the living room and master bedrooms but size limited, probably a max of 43”

One neat thing is that both have large closed natural gas fireplaces that vent so that their top sills don’t put off heat, so it won’t melt the TVs.

My wife and I will each have large vaulted rooms and the current high end 65” Sonys will go in there.

I expect to spend a lot of time on the huge covered back patio, I’ll have to figure that out.

My next project is home theatre with surrounds.

I’m over the moon about my new place.

Congrats.  Ours is a downsize that should halve our property taxes, that's the main thing.  But we're pretty happy with it.  It has a pool and a covered patio with cooking area as well, including a Holland Grill that's kind of cool and a niche for an Egg/Kamado, should I decide to get into smoking.

• Like 1