Sell. Me. A TV.

Costco has the same price on the LG C1 , at least for the 65 & it includes a protection plan. Picked one up the other day. Great picture & sound, like it better than our Sony upstairs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All Costco TVs add an extra year to the warranty. A plus is that they generally won’t fix a TV but will replace it instead.

So what's the opinion of the Surly elite - Samsung QLED good enough or spring the extra for LG OLED?
Depends on what you plan on doing with it and how much of a nerd you are. My wife can't tell the difference between 4k and 1080p, so really anything is good with her.

I personally love having a home theater setup, so I went with 9.1 surround sound and an LG C1 77 inch TV in my media room. It's the best movie experience I can build.
  • Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

spring, it's an appliance you will use daily for the next 5-10 years for hours at a time

This.  Spend the money on a good mattress. That’s 8 hours of your day forever. Second highest thing you’ll use in the house is probably your TV. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/8/2021 at 6:39 PM, Dutchrudder said:

In case anyone wanted to see an installed 75 inch Samsung Frame, box and side view. It's very slim, which is nice if you don't want your TV to be the main focus of the room. The screensaver with pictures you choose is a nice feature, but not something I really care about. My wife loves it and finds a new 4k image for it every month. 20211108_183212.jpg20211108_183226.jpg

i’m really interested in these one connect boxes. is it one cable that supplies both power and all the hdmi inputs to the tv? would love to replace the giant recessed receptacle off the wall in favor of a much cleaner looking install for something like this.

• Like 1

i’m really interested in these one connect boxes. is it one cable that supplies both power and all the hdmi inputs to the tv? would love to replace the giant recessed receptacle off the wall in favor of a much cleaner looking install for something like this.

Yeah, the closest wire is the one that goes to the TV panel. The black box is the brains of the TV, and has lots of input options. It only needs power from the wall.

The other wires I have are cat6 hardline, because I prefer that to wifi, and an HDMI to the soundbar. You don't have to use those if you don't need it. The built-in speakers are pretty weak, I would recommend an external sound system.

You can hide the box wherever you want, I don't think you need to see it for anything to work. That should make it easy to get a clean look on the wall.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Hey guys, so I just bought a Samsung - 32" Class Q60A Series QLED 4K UHD Smart Tizen TV from Best Buy as it was on sale for $400 last Saturday. For the first 6 days or so I had the picture mode on 'Standard' and I was impressed with the sharpness and contrast of the television. Then I noticed yesterday it was gone so I played around with the picture settings and changed the mode to 'Dynamic'. The sharpness/contrast came back. Then tonight I noticed it was gone so changed it to 'Natural'. Is this normal to keep changing the mode to maintain the TV's sharpness?

On 12/19/2021 at 7:20 PM, FunkSoulBrother said:

Hey guys, so I just bought a Samsung - 32" Class Q60A Series QLED 4K UHD Smart Tizen TV from Best Buy as it was on sale for $400 last Saturday. For the first 6 days or so I had the picture mode on 'Standard' and I was impressed with the sharpness and contrast of the television. Then I noticed yesterday it was gone so I played around with the picture settings and changed the mode to 'Dynamic'. The sharpness/contrast came back. Then tonight I noticed it was gone so changed it to 'Natural'. Is this normal to keep changing the mode to maintain the TV's sharpness?

Some TVs can save your preferred picture mode on each input. Best guess 

second would be hitting the button on remote by accident or not knowing when your TV is switching between HDR and non HDR content. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/19/2021 at 7:20 PM, FunkSoulBrother said:

I'd suggest searching for recommended settings for your TV, then applying those settings to each input.

• Hook 'Em 1

was looking primarily at samsungs with one connect bc i want that clean install with a tv stand where i don’t need to strategically hide shit tons of wires. but i realized our lg partner site thru work has 77” C1 @ $2k right now that has me thinking of going in that direction. 

my living room is wide open with eleventy billion windows so i’m somewhat concerned about glare. though i did have a plasma in this room before and it was ok. i’ve also only ever had samsung tvs so familiarity is probably influencing me more than it should. 

@Dutchrudderhow does your qled compare to your oled? 

15 minutes ago, joe dirt said:

was looking primarily at samsungs with one connect bc i want that clean install with a tv stand where i don’t need to strategically hide shit tons of wires. but i realized our lg partner site thru work has 77” C1 @ $2k right now that has me thinking of going in that direction. 

my living room is wide open with eleventy billion windows so i’m somewhat concerned about glare. though i did have a plasma in this room before and it was ok. i’ve also only ever had samsung tvs so familiarity is probably influencing me more than it should. 

@Dutchrudderhow does your qled compare to your oled? 

It's great. You won't have an issue. 

• Hook 'Em 1

[mention=954]Dutchrudder[/mention]how does your qled compare to your oled? 
The Frame video quality has been great in our living room with lots of light. We do have motorized shades for those windows, so I can close them whenever it's needed and haven't had to deal with glare. My main issue with Samsung is the OS. I have had to hard reboot it a few times when apps lock up and won't respond, which is annoying.

My C1 is in a windowless room with dark blue walls, and performs perfectly. Can't say how it does with lots of sunlight and reflections. LG OS is pretty great, I love the point and click remote.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Want to put bigger tv in upstairs living room . So plan on upgrading my main tv 75 inch Sony Bravia and moving it upstairs.

Thinking either the LG 77 cx OLED or an 85 inch Bravia . Know OLED is the bomb but would you trade bigger size or OLED?

Anything bigger than 77 OLED is insane pricing

1 hour ago, Baboontyme said:

Hey @markstanco still liking your short throw projector? Do you have a link to what you bought? 

I think I am going to need to pull the trigger on this soon. My overhead sounds like a 747 taxiing down the runway. 

I got it from a local A/V place and they installed it.  

Sony 5000L Commercial Laser Projector
16:10 Ratio UHD Ready $3199.00 

I have apple TV so I didnt need one with apps.  And yes I do like it, can watch with the lights on or off.  Start up time is maybe 8ish seconds. 

• Like 1

Hisense U6G 50" shat the bed this week.  Well, it sharted.  Thin, dead, horizontal pixel line and faint, blue, vertical line.  It's in warranty.  Called them yesterday, sent pictures, got the call today scheduling an appointment for a tech to come out and "destroy" the "obviously failing" display so we can get credit toward a new TV.  Disappointed in the failure, but the response from the company has been immediate and positive.

Edited by dcbc

On 1/4/2022 at 10:07 PM, dcbc said:

Hisense U6G 50" shat the bed this week.  Well, it sharted.  Thin, dead, horizontal pixel line and faint, blue, vertical line.  It's in warranty.  Called them yesterday, sent pictures, got the call today scheduling an appointment for a tech to come out and "destroy" the "obviously failing" display so we can get credit toward a new TV.  Disappointed in the failure, but the response from the company has been immediate and positive.

Hisense has a good reputation, so that's good that their response was immediate and positive and helpful.  I have 2 brand new Hisense TVs 

8 hours ago, Js1 said:

Hisense has a good reputation, so that's good that their response was immediate and positive and helpful.  I have 2 brand new Hisense TVs 

They shipped us a new TV over the weekend.  It arrived today during lunch when, thankfully, there was someone at the house to sign for it.  I can't complain about the Hisense warranty response.

Edited by dcbc

I went to a couple of stores to try to get a glimpse at an ultra short throw laser projector and compare it to an 85" QLED (vs current 1080p overhead projector setup). No luck. Of course the kid at best buy was going to 'hook me up' by sending Geek Squad over to give me advice. The high end stores were not really interested in showing me what I wanted to see. I decided my best bet was to just buy one on amazon and see for myself. If I don't like it I will just return it and go with the 85". I bought the Hisense because it has pretty good reviews and comes already with a 100" ALR screen, which happens to be the exact same size as what I'm currently projecting onto. Should be easy enough to test out. It is not supposed to arrive until late Feb which makes a baboon sad. 

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-U1jmbN9Ze3Y/p_363100L5G/Hisense-100L5G-CINE100A.html?XVINQ=GLX&awkw=1572464763268&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=572657208662&awdv=c&awug=9016839&gclid=Cj0KCQiAip-PBhDVARIsAPP2xc0FjXfNvgtypFIeYRJ5UlCI4iwhAaxJ4HMBfd8Ggv7VoBIYHM7cbAkaAmWFEALw_wcB

For the Surly 99% (the poors):

Our 2009 Phillips 42" 1080 LCD Eco TV had been having some problems turning on the last few weeks.  I would fart around with it and unplug a few things to get it going, but the problem just seemed to be getting worse.  I finally got serious about getting to the bottom of the issue and worked on several recommended fixes which just seemed to make the problem worse.

Sunday early afternoon, the condition finally got critical and I could not get the dammed thing to turn on.

Went out yesterday and got a new TV.  As you can probably tell from our previous purchase, high end TV picture and audio is just not a huge thing in our lives.  We only have one TV in the house.  However, it does get used a lot for kids gaming, streaming, terrestrial viewing, and breaking down of climbing video shot at competitions and on real rock. 

I can only say that the array of options is dizzying with almost every middle of the road to high end TV having  reviews in the 4.2 -4.7 stars range with some truly deal breaking type of 1 star reviews for pretty much every model in that range.  The reviews are often mixed and matched across sizes and model years and suffixes within the same model.

To make matters even more confusing, it seems every TV maker has a bunch of minor differences within each type of picture and even more confusion when comparing with '20, '21, and '22 models being available.

We went to Costco and I was just glad to get out of there by the time it was all over with.

Ended up with a 65" LG Nano Cell (65NANO85 APA) with additional 3 year warranty included.  Set up was a breeze and this thing  kicks the crap out of the the old TV in every way imaginable.  Got it set up in time to catch the end of the Bills/Chiefs game and I was entertained.

I don't have the chops to get too technical with this stuff, but one of the main selling points for us was the picture quality in bright rooms.  Our living room has two 30' long solid walls of floor to ceiling glass, so we thought that would be important.  One of the supposed downsides is the edge lit LEDs, but I didn't really notice anything with the game or any of the streaming programs we watched, so whatever.

In the end, I think we would have been just as happy with a lesser TV purchased as a "members only" deal.  I think it is pretty hard to be disappointed with an upgrade these days unless you run into a problem right out of the box or have some kind of massive failure pretty early on.

19 minutes ago, elfenix said:

way to work that in there

I thought it a necessary detail to bring home the glare issue and balance the other surly poor issues like my old tv, my fretting over a couple of hundred dollar price difference, and general bewilderment over all things audio tech.  

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at getting this 75" TV from Costco before the deal ends in a few days. I love my C1 in the theater room, but this is for the master bedroom, so I don't need the absolute top quality the OLED gives.  Seems like a good deal for $900, plus Costco is awesome if you run into any issues with their stuff. Seems like a good option for TV watching in a room with no direct sunlight. Also, I love the Magic remote thing. It's wonderful to have a virtual mouse option in some apps with lots of buttons.  

LG UHD 90 Series 75 inch Class 4K Smart UHD TV with AI ThinQ® (74.5'' Diag)
  • Real 4K Display
  • α7 Gen3 Processor 4K with AI Picture & AI Sound
  • Native 120Hz
  • webOS + LG ThinQ AI w/ Magic Remote
  • Cinema HDR w/ Dolby Vision IQ and Dolby Atmos

https://www.costco.com/.product.9875070.html

Edited by Dutchrudder

18 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

I'm looking at getting this 75" TV from Costco before the deal ends in a few days. I love my C1 in the theater room, but this is for the master bedroom, so I don't need the absolute top quality the OLED gives.  Seems like a good deal for $900, plus Costco is awesome if you run into any issues with their stuff. Seems like a good option for TV watching in a room with no direct sunlight. Also, I love the Magic remote thing. It's wonderful to have a virtual mouse option in some apps with lots of buttons.  

LG UHD 90 Series 75 inch Class 4K Smart UHD TV with AI ThinQ® (74.5'' Diag)
  • Real 4K Display
  • α7 Gen3 Processor 4K with AI Picture & AI Sound
  • Native 120Hz
  • webOS + LG ThinQ AI w/ Magic Remote
  • Cinema HDR w/ Dolby Vision IQ and Dolby Atmos

https://www.costco.com/.product.9875070.html

Do you have a 65 or larger in there now?  

The light this thing puts out at 75 inches is intense in a dark bedroom. If sleep with the tv on, plan on turning off the picture, even with the setting muted. It’s a huge backlight and still bright 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Do you have a 65 or larger in there now?  

The light this thing puts out at 75 inches is intense in a dark bedroom. If sleep with the tv on, plan on turning off the picture, even with the setting muted. It’s a huge backlight and still bright 

Yeah, I have a 65 inch Samsung from around 2016. Haven't had any issues with lighting or brightness. It's a room that can be blacked out, but isn't always, and of course, we turn the TV off when we are done, so no issues there.  

The old Samsung onboard OS is terrible, so I use a FireTV for all the apps and streaming. The new LGs OS has all those apps built in, so I don't even need the extra hardware. I know this TV is only HDMI 2.0, which limits it's future use, but since I won't need to connect any hardware to it, I'm not too concerned about that. We have a bit master bedroom, something like 20 x 14, and this would be going on that 20 foot wall. The current TV looks kinda small because it's a lot of open wall space. I think a 75 would help fill it in, and then my wife can figure out what she wants to decorate around it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/19/2022 at 3:11 PM, Baboontyme said:

I went to a couple of stores to try to get a glimpse at an ultra short throw laser projector and compare it to an 85" QLED (vs current 1080p overhead projector setup). No luck. Of course the kid at best buy was going to 'hook me up' by sending Geek Squad over to give me advice. The high end stores were not really interested in showing me what I wanted to see. I decided my best bet was to just buy one on amazon and see for myself. If I don't like it I will just return it and go with the 85". I bought the Hisense because it has pretty good reviews and comes already with a 100" ALR screen, which happens to be the exact same size as what I'm currently projecting onto. Should be easy enough to test out. It is not supposed to arrive until late Feb which makes a baboon sad. 

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-U1jmbN9Ze3Y/p_363100L5G/Hisense-100L5G-CINE100A.html?XVINQ=GLX&awkw=1572464763268&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=572657208662&awdv=c&awug=9016839&gclid=Cj0KCQiAip-PBhDVARIsAPP2xc0FjXfNvgtypFIeYRJ5UlCI4iwhAaxJ4HMBfd8Ggv7VoBIYHM7cbAkaAmWFEALw_wcB

I've only had it about 8 weeks but this is one of the best things I've ever purchased. It is so, so much superior to my overhead. Not only the brightness (even with the lights on it's as bright as a normal TV), but the picture quality is worlds better, and I'm not talking 4k to 720p. A standard YTTV broadcast picture is much much closer to a top OLED in display mode at BB than it is to my old 1080p Epson overhead. 

My dilemma was downsizing from a 100" to a 85" standard OLED tv. Didn't want to lose the extra length and girth. Turns out I didn't have to.

The downside is that you have to set the thing up an exact distance from the wall. If your vertical wall space doesn't allow you to mount the screen at about 7' or higher at the top you're going to have to get creative with your TV stand. The unit needs to sit about 2' below the bottom of the screen. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...