What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

How a place gets more "affluent" as judged by home prices and income but then also gets more seedy will always mystify me.

Austin has a shitload more people than it did 5, 10, 20 years ago, so shit will happen and people will take that in as confirmation bias and a sign that it’s seedy or dangerous, when the irony is that gentrification is pushing a lot of “seedy” places out. In this instance, there are fewer malls, maybe movie theaters, etc. than in years past so people who want to go to those places are sometimes more concentrated in them.

I have relatives in other parts of Texas who have the impression that Austin is 1980s New York City or Los Angeles, and nothing I can say will change that, because they get their news from certain places, and it’s only select stories.

I can tell them that my family and I are in more danger from some asshole blowing through a stop sign or red light or fucking around on I-35 because they are on their phone, than a  mall shooting, and it doesn’t matter, because they don’t see assholes blowing through stop signs and red lights or driving foolishly on 35 every single week like I do, they just see the once in a blue moon random incident that is sexy enough to make the news and be pushed out for clickbait.  Just jogging/biking through my own neighborhood and the surrounding areas (including school zones), I see dumbasses that would cause accidents or injuries every week if not for the people around them watching out for them.

Unfortunately this “dangerous” image that Austin is acquiring is not stopping people from moving here.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Dillard's is just this year, now in late 2023, finally thinking about not having 6000 square feet in the Westlake area devoted exclusively to on-site furniture sales to baby boomers. 

I don't understand what Dillard's exit strategy is since they own fee title to their store. I guess they just fire sale it back to Simon when they ultimately decide to redevelop.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Austin has a shitload more people than it did 5, 10, 20 years ago, so shit will happen and people will take that in as confirmation bias and a sign that it’s seedy or dangerous, when the irony is that gentrification is pushing a lot of “seedy” places out. In this instance, there are fewer malls, maybe movie theaters, etc. than in years past so people who want to go to those places are sometimes more concentrated in them.

I have relatives in other parts of Texas who have the impression that Austin is 1980s New York City or Los Angeles, and nothing I can say will change that, because they get their news from certain places, and it’s only select stories.

I can tell them that my family and I are in more danger from some asshole blowing through a stop sign or red light or fucking around on I-35 because they are on their phone, than a  mall shooting, and it doesn’t matter, because they don’t see assholes blowing through stop signs and red lights or driving foolishly on 35 every single week like I do, they just see the once in a blue moon random incident that is sexy enough to make the news and be pushed out for clickbait.  Just jogging/biking through my own neighborhood and the surrounding areas (including school zones), I see dumbasses that would cause accidents or injuries every week if not for the people around them watching out for them.

Unfortunately this “dangerous” image that Austin is acquiring is not stopping people from moving here.

I dunno man, I've lived here 20+ years. I've noticed that my area is getting worse. More crime, more trash, more shady interactions. I'm not some pearl-clutching Fox News viewer either. 

There is macro data as well as anecdotal evidence that empirically suggest the city has gotten dirtier and filled with more petty crime and homelessness.  I’m not gonna walk around with my CHL or open carry because I’m not gonna my way out of a homeless encampment in my way side of town.  But it has gotten absolutely fucking ridiculous and all sides know it.  Has nothing to do with some CVS looters in Portland getting away with it 3 years ago.  

the state and the city are run by stupid people who think they’re the smartest ones In the room.  A room now filled with feces and guns.  Winning combo.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Jesus, what happened to this city. Covid just threw this place for a loop. 
How a place gets more "affluent" as judged by home prices and income but then also gets more seedy will always mystify me.

Affluent includes landlords from around the world who lease to tourists or leave homes vacant. It also includes residents who own multiple residences in town.

The “poors” live in the outskirts with extended families. There’s also gang tourism with knuckleheads from Waco/Killeen, San Antonio, and Houston dealing drugs, racing cars and doing smash and grabs. Then they hang on dirty sixth.

Also keep in mind the majority of students in Austin ISD are at or below poverty level. We’re property rich/student poor and send hundreds of millions back to the state’s general fund.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I dunno man, I've lived here 20+ years. I've noticed that my area is getting worse. More crime, more trash, more shady interactions. I'm not some pearl-clutching Fox News viewer either. 

I think it just comes with the territory when you get to a city of our size.  We are the 11th largest city in the country for fuck's sake.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/17/2023 at 9:28 AM, YGIFS said:

Dillard's is just this year, now in late 2023, finally thinking about not having 6000 square feet in the Westlake area devoted exclusively to on-site furniture sales to baby boomers.

When did Dillard's add furniture? I haven't been to a mall in 20 years.  That's the equivalent death knell of when Frye's started selling cases of Gatorade and assorted food products.

31 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

When did Dillard's add furniture? I haven't been to a mall in 20 years.  That's the equivalent death knell of when Frye's started selling cases of Gatorade and assorted food products.

I don't know if you're referring to the whole chain, or just Barton Creek Square.  But if you can recall, Barton Creek Square actually has "two Dillard's."  One is the northern anchor, and the smaller of the two.  Offerings are men's, children's, tailoring, and colognes.  The much larger eastern anchor spot is women's, more children's, makeup, accessories, and then about 1/3rd+ of the upstairs is home furnishings.  Regular furniture, with massive displays of beds, sofas, etc.  Just below that is a loading dock which is also a quite large storage area where they keep a disturbingly large amount of inventory at insane real estate prices.  It has the security equivalent of an Arby's because nobody's gonna bother stealing $20,000 worth of retail chests of drawers that you can fence for $370 on a good day.  

As stated above, they are likely just holding out until they can sell their particular partitions at a massive premium when Simon comes to their senses.  Smart play.  However, in the interim---they keep introducing their "New Fall Line of home furnishings and linens" and they actually keep tens of thousands of dollars, if not more, of active inventory onsite at the Eastern loading docks for no reason.  Why have same-day shipping on additional luxury sheets and towels at the holidays for guests when you can spend a half-day in traffic and the mall to buy nubbly, low quality shit from Dillard's barton Creek for twice the price in exciting colors like Salmon, Avocado, and Taupe?  And yes, while you're carrying them back to your car over by Cheesecake Factory, enjoy the holiday thrill of being shot at, mugged, or finding your car with no glass windows! 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/17/2023 at 10:29 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Jesus, what happened to this city. Covid just threw this place for a loop. 

On 12/17/2023 at 2:03 PM, Eskimohorn said:

Affluent includes landlords from around the world who lease to tourists or leave homes vacant. It also includes residents who own multiple residences in town.

The “poors” live in the outskirts with extended families. There’s also gang tourism with knuckleheads from Waco/Killeen, San Antonio, and Houston dealing drugs, racing cars and doing smash and grabs. Then they hang on dirty sixth.

Also keep in mind the majority of students in Austin ISD are at or below poverty level. We’re property rich/student poor and send hundreds of millions back to the state’s general fund.

A few of the local jugging cases were by done shitheads from Houston and San Antonio. One of the 6th street shootings was done by a teenager from Killeen. Many of the people doping and robbing guys from bars are  from San Antonio or Houston.

Thieving and murdering assholes need an Austin vacation too. Might was well thieve and murder while they are here.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I don’t know about food products unless you mean general snacks like Best Buy has, but all the office supply places sell water and some other office beverages by the case because businesses can add them into their normal supply deliveries. It only makes sense to offer them to everyone in store as well. Fry’s did crack me up having all the major brands of water, you’d think some exclusivity might have helped them with their supply costs.

13 hours ago, crash_davis said:

A few of the local jugging cases were by done shitheads from Houston and San Antonio. One of the 6th street shootings was done by a teenager from Killeen. Many of the people doping and robbing guys from bars are  from San Antonio or Houston.

Thieving and murdering assholes need an Austin vacation too. Might was well thieve and murder while they are here.

QFT. We got our own issues, but there seem to be a lot of out of town folks coming here and starting shit. Weren't the "street takeovers" done by out of towners?

52 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

QFT. We got our own issues, but there seem to be a lot of out of town folks coming here and starting shit. Weren't the "street takeovers" done by out of towners?

Yeah, old man yells at cloud and all that aside...there has been and APD upper command will validate, there are a lot of "visitors" to Austin that come here during busy times to "earn a living."  

Anecdotal, but every single time I go to something at the Convention Center or one of the big hotel conferences, you walk outside and you can just see the swarms.  First thing I do when we meet folks in town for a conference, before we walk outside, is I tell them to take their badge/lanyard off because that just makes them an even easier mark.  Probably sage advice anywhere, but our convention center is situated in a particularly shitty part of downtown between IH-35 bridge people, Waller encampments, etc.  And then invariably, after dinner they'll google or ask front desk for "Where's a fun spot for drinks" and despite how many fucking times they are told not to go to Dirty Sixth, they end up telling us about their horrific time on Dirty Sixth the night before.  Brawls, attempted muggings, mob mentality shit, people pissing on their shoes outside, broken needles, pick pocketing, etc.  Yeah, what part about "Go anywhere but Sixth Street between Congress and the interstate did you not fucking understand?"  

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, old man yells at cloud and all that aside...there has been and APD upper command will validate, there are a lot of "visitors" to Austin that come here during busy times to "earn a living."  

Anecdotal, but every single time I go to something at the Convention Center or one of the big hotel conferences, you walk outside and you can just see the swarms.  First thing I do when we meet folks in town for a conference, before we walk outside, is I tell them to take their badge/lanyard off because that just makes them an even easier mark.  Probably sage advice anywhere, but our convention center is situated in a particularly shitty part of downtown between IH-35 bridge people, Waller encampments, etc.  And then invariably, after dinner they'll google or ask front desk for "Where's a fun spot for drinks" and despite how many fucking times they are told not to go to Dirty Sixth, they end up telling us about their horrific time on Dirty Sixth the night before.  Brawls, attempted muggings, mob mentality shit, people pissing on their shoes outside, broken needles, pick pocketing, etc.  Yeah, what part about "Go anywhere but Sixth Street between Congress and the interstate did you not fucking understand?"  

I haven’t been to dirty 6th at night in 15+ years. I almost want to just to experience it based on this thread and see what it has devolved to.

• Prepare your anus 1

4 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

I haven’t been to dirty 6th at night in 15+ years. I almost want to just to experience it based on this thread and see what it has devolved to.

I think it depends when you go... be there before it gets fully lubricated, its still fine.  After 11ish it might be bad idea jeans.  We like going to Red River for live music... just a stone's throw away and yet so much calmer.  

• Hook 'Em 1

In a sick way, I'd encourage everybody on here to get out there in the next couple of years and make some bad decisions.  

Right after peak Covid, I think it was Autumn of 2020...we looked long and hard at buying a building on Dirty Sixth (now the Library Bar) and turning it into office with possibly some retail on first floor (it's three stories technically with the mezz and upstairs is a tiny property management office now and storage---by which I mean an indoor climate controlled trash bin).  Anyway, I could sorta see it.  The architect/developer team I was gonna do the deal with had this vision and it just barely, barely made financial sense.  I knew Stream Realty was about to start buying up more and more shit down there and we wanted to stay ahead of the curve.  But I guess being Covid, I just couldn't see it turning over from shithole tourist trap of violence and vomit into the newly minted avenue of Austin mixed-use.  If you think about Pecan Street, it's one of the last rebooted parts of downtown Austin.  Perhaps, in some cases, the most glaringly obvious.  But the office plan didn't cut the mustard as it was.  But people smarter than I are turning it over, as we speak.  From the Driskill to Red River.  That thing is going to get overhauled.  And I for one won't fucking miss it.  There'll be the whining and bitching about losing old Austin.  And for the first time in Austin's history, the old adage of "Well, if you loved it so much...why didn't you get out there and support it financially?" will ring truer than ever.  Stream and some other GP's will make a killing eventually, but it's gonna be an ugly grind for a decade.  Biggest question I have, aside from finance, is where the fuck do all these degenerates go?  

1 hour ago, BeardIP said:

Probably 2 years ago or so, we went with friends to Esthers Follies for the first time in a jillion years.  After the show, around 11:00, we walked back to my office where we'd parked, which meant a walk down 6th to Congress.  It was.....interesting.  I sure as shit had to have more head-on-a-swivel situational awareness than I've felt like I've needed in most any other city I've been to in the past decade or so, and that includes NYC, NOLA, Houston, London, LA, and some other big players.  We were fine, and it was obvious that things were still heating up there (I imagine the midnight-2:00 am timeframe is quite colorful), but I sure as shit wouldn't like my young drinking age kids to hang out there.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BeardIP said:

I was in Austin for a conference back in late 2020 after things had fully reopened. Since it was a conference with a bunch of co-workers I went ahead and stayed at the hotel instead of with my family like I normally do. My wife also joined me because she is friends with some of the people I worked with at that time.

Long story short, despite my warnings and protests, a big group of us end up on dirty 6th one night. Walking around earlier in the night around 9p was totally fine. Around midnight, I told my wife it was time to get back to the hotel. Stepping out of the bar, we were immediately greeted by the sound of gunshots and throngs of folks that were looking for a little more than a craft cocktail. We put our heads down and walked as quickly as we could back to the JW Marriott. It felt even more unsafe than Bourbon St. At least in NO, the cops have a visible presence and don't fuck around when someone gets out of line.

On 12/17/2023 at 12:19 PM, atomheartbevo said:

I love when folks from other places get on their high horse about crime in Austin, usually from a political angle, when they live in areas with even higher violent crime.  A lot of the high-profile crime in Austin is perpetrated by people who drive in from the suburbs and outlying communities.  Shootings and violence often turn out to be guys driving in from Killeen, San Antonio, etc.  That goofy crap where the dudes took over the street intersection to do donuts or whatever it was that got so much press?  Those fucks didn't live in Austin.   No doubt our homeless population is responsible for some property crime, but the majority of the car break-ins  are groups driving in from those "safe" communities outside of town.  Austin is full of educated professionals and poorly educated young hipsters living off of daddy's allowance.  Outside of the rare instance of one of these folks crackins (see recent bicyclist murder) these just aren't folks running around robbing, raping, and pillaging.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

In a sick way, I'd encourage everybody on here to get out there in the next couple of years and make some bad decisions.  

Right after peak Covid, I think it was Autumn of 2020...we looked long and hard at buying a building on Dirty Sixth (now the Library Bar) and turning it into office with possibly some retail on first floor (it's three stories technically with the mezz and upstairs is a tiny property management office now and storage---by which I mean an indoor climate controlled trash bin).  Anyway, I could sorta see it.  The architect/developer team I was gonna do the deal with had this vision and it just barely, barely made financial sense.  I knew Stream Realty was about to start buying up more and more shit down there and we wanted to stay ahead of the curve.  But I guess being Covid, I just couldn't see it turning over from shithole tourist trap of violence and vomit into the newly minted avenue of Austin mixed-use.  If you think about Pecan Street, it's one of the last rebooted parts of downtown Austin.  Perhaps, in some cases, the most glaringly obvious.  But the office plan didn't cut the mustard as it was.  But people smarter than I are turning it over, as we speak.  From the Driskill to Red River.  That thing is going to get overhauled.  And I for one won't fucking miss it.  There'll be the whining and bitching about losing old Austin.  And for the first time in Austin's history, the old adage of "Well, if you loved it so much...why didn't you get out there and support it financially?" will ring truer than ever.  Stream and some other GP's will make a killing eventually, but it's gonna be an ugly grind for a decade.  Biggest question I have, aside from finance, is where the fuck do all these degenerates go?  

Very little in that stretch could count as "old Austin" even by the loosest of definitions.  Even the bars from twenty years ago have largely made way to night clubs, as bars can't generate the cash to pay those rents.  It will be interesting to see how the new development shakes out.  Outside of one or two spots barely hanging on in that stretch, very little will be missed.

All the wannabe gangsters and hillbilly trash that roll in from out of town to party on 6th can find somewhere else to go as far as I'm concerned.  6th Street used to add something of value to Austin.  It was just the right amount of lewd, drunken, and tawdry to be charming.  Now it does nothing for the citizens of the city, exists for the benefit of small-towners looking for a thrill and pay no taxes here, and I suppose it draws in some unwitting tourists who likely regret their decision to stay downtown.  Night clubs are for assholes and broke idiots, and that's about all that's down there anymore.  They're also largely operating by entities that exist outside of Texas, so it's not exactly adding a ton of economic benefit outside of some low paying jobs - many of which are filled by folks who don't live in Austin. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

I love when folks from other places get on their high horse about crime in Austin, usually from a political angle, when they live in areas with even higher violent crime.  A lot of the high-profile crime in Austin is perpetrated by people who drive in from the suburbs and outlying communities.  Shootings and violence often turn out to be guys driving in from Killeen, San Antonio, etc.  That goofy crap where the dudes took over the street intersection to do donuts or whatever it was that got so much press?  Those fucks didn't live in Austin.   No doubt our homeless population is responsible for some property crime, but the majority of the car break-ins  are groups driving in from those "safe" communities outside of town.  Austin is full of educated professionals and poorly educated young hipsters living off of daddy's allowance.  Outside of the rare instance of one of these folks crackins (see recent bicyclist murder) these just aren't folks running around robbing, raping, and pillaging.

Yes, this actually true and as someone pointed out earlier, when you remove domestic violence and the occasionally San Antonio-based crime spree, our homicide rate is quite l.  But that doesn't sell politically.  I feel much safer here than I did 2 1/2 hours to the SE.

• Hook 'Em 1

I love dirty 6th.  It's a great place for all the trash to congregate and not screw up all the other spots in town.  Having that crap go down at the Domain, or Mueller, or anywhere else would no good.  6th street is like the decoy for out of towners.

Now, can we discuss building a wall around Killeen and keeping those clowns encapsulated and away from Austin?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Less and less every day.  Most of these folks have been forced out, sadly.

Come pay a visit up north of 183 and Lamar. Still plenty. They are just two and three families squeezed into 900 square foot homes and old apartments. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Back in the 90s, the hotel on 11th and 35 that is now a Sheraton had a sign mounted on the wall as you walked from the entrance west to Red River that basically said don't go down that way after dark. Surprised that the Driskill hasn't put something like that on a sandwich board outside of the 1886 Cafe. I may miss Gordo's and Joe's Generic, but I ain't going down there anymore except for Pecan Street Festival for people watching.

8 minutes ago, Deej said:

Come pay a visit up north of 183 and Lamar. Still plenty. They are just two and three families squeezed into 900 square foot homes and old apartments. 

You're right, of course, there are still folks in the lower economic demographics left in town.  My point was only that there are a lot less of them now than before, and the number is shrinking, not growing.  It's nothing unique to Austin.  Big cities have become a place for wealthy folks and homeless folks, with little room for anyone in the middle.   It's a very broken and foolish system for all kinds of reasons.

Regarding Dirty Sixth, I think the last time I went to a bar in that area was a trip to Coppertank my last semester of law school in 1999.  I recall that it seemed to be populated mostly by meathead douchebags, so it wasn't my vibe, and it just felt like I had aged out of the area.  

The only time I'm remotely near Dirty Sixth at night is a show at Stubb's, and to avoid having to walk the surrounding streets I just have an uber pick me up right outside the entrance when the show is over. 

another annoying alliterative aside, how in the fuck does that Hotel Indigo and its adjoining property make a go of it there?  That has to officially be the most crime-ridden square block in Austin.  Several times a year, I have friends come into Austin to see a show at Stubb's or on Red River (stand-alone shows or SxSW or ACL afters).  and invariably they contact me with, "Hey, found this hotel literally next to the venue, let's meet up before or after).  And I have to say no.  And invariably, they tell me the next day or waiting for their flight, "You were right, I made a huge mistake."  I think my reluctance to provide any travel agent advice has probably caused my friends at least a half dozen stabbings, stollen wallets/phones, and/or STD's.

Dirty 6th = Bourbon Street. It's stupid and filthy and full of the worst tourists. No local over the age of 25 would go to either of them.

But they serve their purpose because I know where not to go. 

That being said, I'm not in fear for my safety if/when I'm forced to go to 6th. I just find the whole experience to be pretty detestable. 

And that area will never improve as long as the homeless shelter is located next to the entertainment district. 

• Like 2

At least Bourbon Street has some of the historic charm and architecture of the rest of the Quarter.  Sixth Street was nothing, then got live music, then got to be a drunken shitshow, then got corporate/nightclubby, then got shitty and sketchy again.  Then will become low-rise (with some CVC restrictions) office space.  It never really had like a cool historic/interesting vibe.  It was just always some version of shitty Austin.  I mean, yeah a few of the buildings are technically brick landmarks but nobody's gonna miss any of 'em when they're gone.  At least Bourbon has some old flavor during the day.  Sixth is just as miserably now at noon as it is at midnight.  It's not so much as a fear of safety, as it's just filthy, chalk full of homeless folks, and everybody is looking to grab your phone.  

Some SXSW fintech daytime panel had a deal there last year upstairs above one of those corner bars on the north side of the street.  And they had an acoustic singer-songwriter playing during the mix 'n mingle part and I realized it was the first live music I'd heard on our "Live Music Capital of the World" promenade in probably a decade.  Lady i was talking to thought the area was so cool and asked where on the street they should go later that night (in from Nashville I think).  I said not to go out here at night.  But if you have to eat here, try Parkside or the Driskill.  Ended up with an email from her saying they thought the food at Iron Cactus wasn't great, they almost got mugged by Soho, and almost got knocked down by a police horse while trying to avoid a dude taking a shit on the street by P. Terry's.  Welcome to Austin, Bitch!  When staying at the Fairmont Austin, stay at the fucking Fairmont. 

2 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

Less and less every day.  Most of these folks have been forced out, sadly.

I would say the opposite is true based on AISD statistics. 

https://www.austinisd.org/about-us

Ethnicity/ Race
  • Hispanic: 55.0%
  • White: 30.1%
  • Black: 6.6%
  • Asian: 4.5%
  • Other 3.8%
Inclusive Populations
  • Economically Disadvantaged: 51.9%
  • Emergent Bilingual: 28.2%
  • Special Education: 13.4%

For a start, those are AISD numbers, not Austin numbers.  Austin is not a city comprising many households with children as a percentage of the whole, as evidenced by AISD's massively shrinking enrollment over the years.  AISD students are not reflective of the city at large at all.   Secondly, those numbers are meaningless without a comparison to show they are either increasing or decreasing.  Finally, the ethnicity/race information has nothing to do with what was being discussed, which was economic status.  It's strange that you included it.