Tim Beck Thread

OU Sucks

6 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Obviously '17, you dipshits. Typo, brain-fart, whatever... the point is, Ehlinger never looked left, and didn't see either the blitzer or the uncovered slot. The blitzer hit Sam just as he threw to Heard, one step closer and the ball likely would've been on the ground.

I don't know whether to blame the no-look on freshmanity or on Beck and MensaTom prepping Sam to run plays exactly as drawn and only to one side of the field... seems like there was talk earlier about simplifying Sam's execution by restricting passing plays to half the field.

Just because i'm bored i went an took a look at what play you speak of. And i dont really understand what your bitching about? Sam could have seen it was going to be 1-1 coverage on the outside with a ILB Emmanuel Beal (which it was) and threw a perfect money ball to where only heard could grab it. Id throw at a LB all day...Almost worked to perfection. I even paused it several times and he looked in the middle of the field first then went for the corner. Yes he Could have made a a check to have someone pick up the CB blitz but it damn near worked. Not to mention the very next play he escapes a hell of a blitz just long enough for the screen for a TD. That didn't look like to much "freshmanity". Every QB gonna make a mistake so why did this one play stick out? 

Edited by okiehorn

Honestly, is there any point in criticizing Tim Beck any more? I mean, at some point, you just look at this mess and it's not so much like beating a dead horse as it is like inviting your mother-in-law to spend the day with you, because you just don't feel miserable enough.

I say we all drop a bunch of acid and paint ourselves up in rainbow colors, chanting "We love you Tim! We love you Tim!"

Couldn't make things any worse, could it?

There is no gameplan, no offensive vision, no plays working off of other plays, no cohesiveness. Its just a mess that has no rhyme or reason. 

Exactly like last year. Quarter to quarter and series to series. It was a bunch of random ass shit and stupid personnel decisions with no rhyme or reason.

4 minutes ago, NowThis said:

cool, HC is hard to get but Smith knows the scheme as OC and will do just as good a job. 

1.  No P5 school is going to bring back the Run and Shoot. 

2. We’re not going to hire an OC in title only to bring back the Run and Shoot to Texas. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

Just now, Bobby_Batronic said:

1.  No P5 school is bring back the Run and Shoot. 

2. We’re not going to hire an OC in title only to bring back the Run and Shoot to Texas. 

he is more than OC in title, he coaches the scheme in practice and has been there several years.  Why not bring back the R&S? Big 12 is a wild ass throwing conference anyway and it might take years to adjust where UT has an edge. With the athletes UT brings on the perimeter, this is gold. 

2 minutes ago, NowThis said:

he is more than OC in title, he coaches the scheme in practice and has been there several years.  Why not bring back the R&S? Big 12 is a wild ass throwing conference anyway and it might take years to adjust where UT has an edge. With the athletes UT brings on the perimeter, this is gold. 

You have no idea who does what at their practice, and the Run and Shoot has gone the way of the pure Air Raid and Wishbone. It’s relegated to schools that can’t compete otherwise. 

25 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

You have no idea who does what at their practice, and the Run and Shoot has gone the way of the pure Air Raid and Wishbone. It’s relegated to schools that can’t compete otherwise. 

I'm sure he coaches as he's a coach and not a sideline reporter. Hawaii is putting up lots of points and yardage, so it's working. They have talented people on O and will win 9 or 10 games this year. Watch the Rice game this weekend, they'll approach 70 points. 

33 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Why the fuck didn’t Herman hire a real OC this offseason again?

this, all of this. Herman is a stiff minded dipshit with an ego bigger than the stadium. We knew that - and we knew he had a chance to get his shit together in a new, bigger position. Keeping Beck and talking about how offensive coaching is "collaborative" is painful. 

A first year OC turned emergency HC with less talent looks so much more organized than we did opening day - year II. 

What you are doing, or not doing, isn't work Tom. 

Another year and another average to below average use of resources by the biggest resource heavy school in America. It bottles my little old mind. Its a fucking disease. 

10 minutes ago, NowThis said:

I'm sure he coaches as he's a coach and not a sideline reporter. Hawaii is putting up lots of points and yardage, so it's working. They have talented people on O and will win 9 or 10 games this year. Watch the Rice game this weekend, they'll approach 70 points. 

1. Rice had trouble with Praire View A&M. 

2. “Coaching” at practice doesn’t make one a good OC, and neither does knowing the scheme. I might refer you to our WR coach who’s tried his hand at OC here and sucked s**t through a straw at his one OC stop away from Tom Herman’s protective embrace. 

You don’t want some guy who’s been around a great playcaller. You want the great playcaller. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

1. Rice had trouble with Praire View A&M. 

2. “Coaching” at practice doesn’t make one a good OC, and neither does knowing the scheme. I might refer you to our WR coach who’s tried his hand at OC here and was sucked s**t through a straw at his one OC stop away from Tom Herman’s protective embrace. 

You don’t want some guy who’s been around a great playcaller. You want the great playcaller. 

how do we know for sure Rolo is calling the plays?

Justin Wells: Texas must show key offensive improvements to keep any hope alive

AUSTIN — Though Tom Herman opened his weekly Monday press conference misquoting John Steinbeck’s American classic “Of Mice and Men,” in relation to linebacker Gary Johnson, he should’ve turned his focus to Earnest Hemingway’s famed novella “The Old Man and the Sea,” instead. In “The Old Man and the Sea,” Hemingway describes a man who has spent many years fishing, but reaped no harvest despite all his efforts. In the book, (spoiler alert) an old, struggling Cuban fisherman reels in a huge marlin just to see it ripped apart by sharks before it reaches the shore.

Texas football, which has dwelled in mediocrity for almost the past decade relates to two characters in this book. Obviously when comparing the book and the program, Texas could be the old man who has suffered to great lengths just to have his hopes crushed, but maybe more sobering, Texas football could be the marlin. An interesting statistic came out of Saturday’s 34-29 loss to Maryland. Herman admitted as much.

“I think we’re learning,” Herman said. “The University of Texas hasn’t won three straight games since 2013. So we’re still learning how to win. I think, again, losses are unacceptable. Losses hurt really bad.”

Think about that for a second. In Texas’ last 51 games, dating back to former head coach Charlie Strong’s first year, Texas has not put together three consecutive victories. It’s almost an unbelievable number. In 2013, the program parted ways with one of the sport’s most successful head coaches in Mack Brown, and since has struggled to find any identity at all. After dragging its way through three consecutive losing seasons under Strong, Texas found the guy it had been searching for in Herman. Or so it thought.

Now 7-7, with what feels like a death blow to the 2018 season already under the Longhorns’ belt, where does the team go from here? Well for starters, Texas has to rid itself of the narratives that have surrounded the team since Herman’s arrival. On offense, the team already showed growth in one particular area that it struggled in last year. The largest narrative that has surrounded the team has been the at the quarterback position.

In 2017, Herman was extremely hesitant to name a starting quarterback or stick with him. Going into Week 2, Herman has unequivocally stood by Sam Ehlinger as his starter. Though many have chimed in voicing their desires for backup Shane Buechele, Herman has made it clear that Ehlinger is his guy, even after throwing a game-ending interception to seal the deal for the Terrapins (another narrative the offense needs to shed).

“I don’t’ think now’s the time to (bring in another quarterback), I really don’t” Herman said. “You start, you’re going to wind up in the same situation that you were in last year. We made a decision. I don’t think, certainly Sam didn’t play perfect, but nobody did, and his errors weren’t egregious enough to merit just dumping him on the depth chart.” Ehlinger became more comfortable as the game moved along and began to trust his ultra-talented group of receivers, which he still needs to learn how to do more. The loss, even though it did end with him, wasn’t solely based on his play. However, he still has a long way to go if Texas has any hopes of competing for a championship of any kind.

Another problem that has annoyed Texas fans in Herman’s tenure has been the questionable shuffling of the running backs. After freshman Keaontay Ingram clearly took over the position midway through the game, he found himself on the sidelines for essentially all of crunch time. Instead, Kyle Porter took the majority of crucial reps and looked as about like you would expect him to look. No offense to Porter, but there was a reason that he was not listed as one of the three possible starters heading into the game.

Expect Herman, who reportedly took over play-calling duties from offensive coordinator Tim Beck in the second quarter and most likely the remainder of the season, to rely heavily on Ingram and Watson as his running backs for the rest of 2018. If he has any sense at all, he’s already learned from this mistake.

Both units are playing behind an offensive line that looks vastly improved from last year. While starting right tackle sophomore Derek Kerstetter was replaced by freshman Samuel Cosmi, that was the only glaring weakness from a group that has really made some strides. There will likely be some shuffling as the year continues, but the UT faithful should feel more comfortable with the 2018 offensive line than the 2017 version.

At the end of the day, to show Texas fans that there is still some hope, the Longhorns MUST play the best possible game they can against Tulsa and make the game comfortable before the half. If Texas stumbles again against a lesser opponent, and there’s no excitement when USC goes to town, you might as well mail in another embarrassing season in Austin. If you haven’t already.

• Like 1

Tim Beck on Herman being involved in the play calling during the Maryland game and how it all works:

“I thought it was great. We communicate things I see up there to him. Things that this might be good right here, or hey, what about this? So does he. He sees the same things. One thing that he has that I don’t is got the feel of them. He can look in their eyes and say, ‘Hey, we’re going to run it here because I can tell the o-line is ready. We’re going to mash them right here. Let's do this. I think it was a great adjustment. It was awesome. We kind of do that anyway. It’s always been that way. You get Drew (Mehringer) and Derek (Warehime). Herb (Hand) is going to say, ‘Run the power here.’ Okay, we’re going to run power. We’re kind of all in that together. As I mentioned before, we game plan, we have a list – here’s third down, here’s what we’re going to call. That’s what we kind of go off of.”

how could this possibly go wrong?

• Like 1