Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

3 minutes ago, statsman said:

It’s funny to see a guy from the school that matriculated Hart Lee Dykes and Dez Bryant throw shade at the academic mission of places like Texas, Michigan, USC, Georgia, etc. 

He was throwing shade at the entire system not just at the big boys.

Edited by SimonBolivar

10 minutes ago, statsman said:

It’s funny to see a guy from the school that matriculated Hart Lee Dykes and Dez Bryant throw shade at the academic mission of places like Texas, Michigan, USC, Georgia, etc. 

Not sure what Dez has to do with it, or Dykes for that matter. Should have gone with Dexter Manley. And yeah, I'm not criticizing individual schools, but the whole system, and where it's headed. And I mean academics being optional in a literal sense. As in, a rule that a player need not be enrolled to play on the football team, they can be treated as a professional football player. It's all about the product and the income it generates. 

Edited by 'stache

1 minute ago, Scholz said:

Dexter Manley couldn't even read if I remember correctly.

He was dyslexic, which got confused with illiteracy (I think he himself used that term on Oprah because he had never been diagnosed with dyslexia). I took a sports economics class from a professor who represented the school through the 80's controversies and knew all of the specifics. Manley attended classes and knew the materials but was allowed to do his exams orally, which was not a formal accommodation, and against the rules. It was also clearly a way to let him play and giving only lip service to academics, so yeah, it was really shitty, which he admitted. He just likes to clarify that it was dyslexia, which was not well researched at the time, and not illiteracy. He also says Manley wasn't stupid but did have some legitimate learning deficiencies which were never formally addressed because, again, nobody cared at the time, which was shitty and against pretty much every rule of amateurism at the time. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

My point is- some schools (Texas, Michigan, ND, UW, for example) are not chartered to focus on football. Football is just a sideshow to the academic mission. Don’t need to worry about their academics and reputation- they’re not f’ing Sooners. 

Edited by statsman

• 1 month later...

there's a 33.333% chance we're still in the Big XII for the 2023-24 athletics seasons.  

there's a 0% chance we're still in the Big XII for the 2024-25 athletics seasons (or beyond).  

Don’t know if this has been discussed before, but there’s no way the big XII receives the same per capita payout after adding the new four, right? Does that give us any legal grounds to break the contract early? Or can the remaining teams take a hit to keep OU and us whole for the two years?

And that proposed structure is stupid. Make it the old Big XII south members plus UH and TCU on one side, everyone else on the other. Move UCF to the south when we leave. I think there is zero pain making UCF change devisions after only two years.

Edited by OrangEngr

3 minutes ago, Crockett said:

I assumed Texas and Oklahoma would leave early, but now I'm beginning to wonder. 

We're still leaving early, just not as early as we would have liked.  2022 was never a realistic option, don't know that circulated so fast and furious.  

Outside Counsel to UT still indicates that 2023-24 season is the realistic goal and wheels are very much in motion to get it there.  Big XII is releasing shit like this should an arbitrator/TV lawyers come in and say, "Well, not only are you disrupting the TV rights...but also realignment for scheduling with new members, divisions, etc."  It's fucking bullshit, but it's part of why they're doing this.  The UT defense from Jim Davis (I know, oxymoron right now) should be something like, "Wow, somebody at the league office got out an atlas and figured out which teams should be in the North Division and which in the South?  Well, I am over-fucking-whelmed.  We'll be glad to tack on another $1mm to our exit fee to cover the expenses of this very impressive research project that must have taken thousands of man-hours."  Instead, we'll be much more polite.  

You'll know when the Big XII is finally getting desperate, and we're finally leaving, and they're throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks, to demonstrate the most damages/disruption/etc.  When they start saying an early exit by Texas would, "Disrupt the intra-conference research and academic development between member schools that has placed the Big XII at the forefront of American higher education!"  That's when we're changing the conference logo on our fields and courts.  Like anybody outside our league is gonna believe that Kansas State, Baylor, and West Virginia are on the brink of some major scientific advancement but because Texas left with all the microscopes and data logs, it fucked it all up and they have to start from scratch now!  

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

That will never happen. It'll be east/west.

West: Tech, UH, TCU, BU, OSU, BYU

East: KU, KSU, ISU, UC, WVU, UCF

If there is overlap, I can see UT in the West, and OU in the East. Because who gives a fuck at that point, no need to have anyone switch after one year. It's probably also a bargaining chip to get you guys to pay the buyout before the newbs join. That's the only hold up right, financial terms. It's probably too late to work it out for 2022-2023, but there's no way you'll be around the next year. Terms will probably be reached this summer for a 2023-24 departure.

23 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I fucking love that divisional line up for the Big 12 because the east would be the easiest for ISU.  Anything that keeps the Big 8 schools together gets my vote.  Don't really care about who the other 2 are.  Would also prefer not to see any 3 time zone divisions.  This accomplishes both.

fify

Edited by tx ind

35 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I fucking love that divisional line up for the Big 12.  Anything that keeps the Big 8 schools together gets my vote.  Don't really care about who the other 2 are.  Would also prefer not to see any 3 time zone divisions.  This accomplishes both.

The old Big 8 was before my time, but I can assure you that OSU will fight like hell to remain aligned with the Texas schools. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/16/2021 at 11:06 AM, 'stache said:

Wut? The current Big XII has only one team (Tech) to have never made a BCS or NY6 game. BIG has 4 (Minnesota, NW, Rutgers, Indiana). The SEC also has 4 (Missouri, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Kentucky). The only Big XII school that has little interest in football is Kansas and even they won an Orange Bowl and had fans show up for a while. 

We all know we're heading towards Prestige Worldwide, so this bickering is pointless. UT and OU will make a ton more money.  When the SEC and BIG excise the "leeches" in a few years and combine, with Oregon, USC, and Clemson, they'll double their stash. That's where this will ultimately end up. Full doomsday will be if and when the teams become only tangentially related to the school where academics are optional.

I'm talking about financially.  Most of the Big 10 and SEC schools have big stadiums.  Vandy and Northwestern are the outliers.

2 hours ago, Crockett said:

I assumed Texas and Oklahoma would leave early, but now I'm beginning to wonder. 

My initial thought was 2023, but then there was a lot of talk about 2022.  2022 is only a tiny possibility at this point, but I still think it gets done for 2023, however, 2025 is still possible which I didn't think so back in August.

Notable about these talks is the UT asst. AD is on the committee and that UH, UCF and Cincinnati are still officially 2024 as far as the AAC is concerned.

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

The more I think about it, the dumber this is, and it cannot be serious. Geography is already an issue. Why the ever living fuck would you put Cinci in the same division as BYU? They are 1667 miles apart. Meanwhile, this would separate Cinci from WVU (308 miles apart) and UCF (900 miles apart). Then remove OSU from the Texas schools knowing that OSU has its strongest media markets in Texas and closest geographically. Whatever dumbass put this out there is fucking around. If it was Bowlsby, then ok, this makes sense, because he is a supreme idiot.

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

Outside Counsel to UT still indicates that 2023-24 season is the realistic goal and wheels are very much in motion to get it there.

It’s been a little while now, but I remember from my reading of the various documents that 2 years after announcing  would be the cleanest exit, so this makes sense. It will be hilarious to see what arguments the Big 12 comes up with for damages/diminution in value of TV payouts, etc.

Hopefully OU can afford exiting early. 

The more I think about it, the dumber this is, and it cannot be serious. Geography is already an issue. Why the ever living fuck would you put Cinci in the same division as BYU? They are 1667 miles apart. Meanwhile, this would separate Cinci from WVU (308 miles apart) and UCF (900 miles apart). Then remove OSU from the Texas schools knowing that OSU has its strongest media markets in Texas and closest geographically. Whatever dumbass put this out there is fucking around. If it was Bowlsby, then ok, this makes sense, because he is a supreme idiot.

Yeah, I totally forgot Cincy is Eastern time.

Push them to the other division and throw Tech in this one

Yeah, you raised a good point about timezones.  That North Division would be spread across 3.  Cincinnati playing at BYU would not go over well in the EDT.  Then again, BYU can't start a football game after 7:30p for Mormon reasons so there's that.  It's not even so much timezones as it's travel to/from the small town campuses that make the Big XII a travel shitshow.  Our non-stop trip from Austin to Des Moines and quick bus jaunt to Ames wasn't bad.  But going through Pittsburgh to do WVU, Kansas City for K-State, 6-hour bus ride to Lubbock, or AUS to Stillwater and then back out of OKC because full size planes can land at Stillwater but they can't leave from there. 

On the old LFZ site, Wheeler raised a point when the very first rumblings about the (then) Pac-10 started.  Something to the effect of not just TV broadcasts, some Texas @ UCLA primetime game kicking off there that we wouldn't see until 9:30pm.  But then travel logistics, sending the women's soccer team to Pullman, WA for a mid-week game or somesuch because of the long drive after the long flight.  I thought it was a valid point at the time, but the Big XII is just as much a pain in the ass under this new format as any of that.  

I'm guessing it lasts a year, if it even comes to fruition.  

Lets say hypothetically somehow we're around for 1 season in this proposed moronic alignment (or any alignment that has TX/ou in different divisions) the thought came into my head of "I wonder if the Big 12 would try to fuck with us knowing that we're leaving and not make Oklahoma our protected rival" for that one season and there not be a 2023 RRSO. 

I mean at that point the admin would tell the Big 12 to get fucked and go independent for a year right?

6 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Lets say hypothetically somehow we're around for 1 season in this proposed moronic alignment (or any alignment that has TX/ou in different divisions) the thought came into my head of "I wonder if the Big 12 would try to fuck with us knowing that we're leaving and not make Oklahoma our protected rival" for that one season and there not be a 2023 RRSO. 

I mean at that point the admin would tell the Big 12 to get fucked and go independent for a year right?

I'd think the Big 12 would protect the game due to TV partner pressure if for no other reason.

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

That will never happen. It'll be east/west.

West: Tech, UH, TCU, BU, OSU, BYU

East: KU, KSU, ISU, UC, WVU, UCF

If there is overlap, I can see UT in the West, and OU in the East. Because who gives a fuck at that point, no need to have anyone switch after one year. It's probably also a bargaining chip to get you guys to pay the buyout before the newbs join. That's the only hold up right, financial terms. It's probably too late to work it out for 2022-2023, but there's no way you'll be around the next year. Terms will probably be reached this summer for a 2023-24 departure.

^This is the alignment that makes the most sense after UT and OU leave.  That West division is awesome.  But if there's an interim season at 14, then I don't think it makes sense for the Big 12 to create the possibility that OU and Texas could play in the Big 12 title game on their way out the door.  So... you'd probably need to put BYU or Houston in the division with the "East" schools until it goes back down to 12.   

West:  BYU/UH, TTU, TCU, BU, UT, OSU, OU
East:  UH/BYU, KU, KSU, ISU, Cinci, WVU, UCF

You could throw a bone to the Coogs and send one of the outgoing schools to their home stadium as one of the cross-division games. I'd imagine that would help encourage cooperation.  

IDK, I think the opportunity to just royally piss off UT and OU on their way out the door is worth more to a lot of the remaining members than the check from 2 Red Rivers.  You want the chant?  You're gonna pay for the chant.

This divorce will only get uglier the longer it goes.  If Texas and OU aren't going to buy their way out, the Big 12 is going to do everything possible to make their lives miserable in the process, and let's be honest, if you weren't fans of the leaving schools you'd want it to be that way.  And if any of us non OU/UT fans' schools were leaving, we'd hate being stuck.  All of these reactions are basic human nature.

The best solution for everyone at this point is UT and OU writing the check and leaving ASAP.  I'm ready for whatever's next to start, and pretty much everyone I know feels the same way, regardless of what side they're on.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

17 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

IDK, I think the opportunity to just royally piss off UT and OU on their way out the door is worth more to a lot of the remaining members than the check from 2 Red Rivers.  You want the chant?  You're gonna pay for the chant.

This divorce will only get uglier the longer it goes.  If Texas and OU aren't going to buy their way out, the Big 12 is going to do everything possible to make their lives miserable in the process, and let's be honest, if you weren't fans of the leaving schools you'd want it to be that way.  And if any of us non OU/UT fans' schools were leaving, we'd hate being stuck.  All of these reactions are basic human nature.

The best solution for everyone at this point is UT and OU writing the check and leaving ASAP.  I'm ready for whatever's next to start, and pretty much everyone I know feels the same way, regardless of what side they're on.

These are all good points from a rational Big XII fan, particularly the Divorce analogy.  Oklahoma and Texas are the parents standing outside the door to the Family Law court arbiter.  They're swearing to one another that they're gonna put their petty bullshit aside and do what's best for the children.  Meanwhile, the Arbitrator and the Lawyers inside are planning on being a fucking assholes (the Big XII conference itself) and dragging this out to maximize billing revenue.  The more mature kids like Iowa State, Kansas, and TCU are gonna be fine.  They're gonna re-apply themselves and go on to greater things as a coping mechanism.  Meanwhile, the poorly adjusted kids like Texas Tech, K-State, and Baylor are gonna cope with all of this by taking up hobbies like torturing small animals and hitting girls.  

The SEC schools schedule patsies. They also take turns taking one for the good of the league media contract, by playing a league game in week 1. 

The Big 8 understood that they needed to let OU and NU run the league. The SWC was every man for himself, and only himself. We see which philosophy worked to last and endure. It’s crazy that he Big XII adopted the SWC ethos. 

The SWC died because it had a stupid 50/50 gate share structure combined with a group of powerhouses and a group of church schools. This meant Texas, A&M, and Arkansas would have 60k fans, splitting rev with the visitors, and SMU or TCU would split 18k with the big schools. The worst was fucking Houston. They pulled less than Rice. Most times a Game at the little schools would be mostly Texas, or Aggie, or Arkansas fans.

SMU got so bad they wanted to always play the big schools at their stadiums. Anyway Darrell Royal and Frank Broyles went to the SWC to modify the split and we’re soundly rejected, hence their decision to move their schools plus A&M to an expanded SEC. Would have gone down except for Ann Richards (Baylor) and Bob Bullock (Tech) stuck their nose in to kill the plan, leaving Arkansas to leave on its own. It’s too bad as it would have laid the groundwork for where we seem to be headed. 4 16 team super conferences of 8 team divisions. The conference playoff would determine the final four for the championship. Oh well.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

These are all good points from a rational Big XII fan, particularly the Divorce analogy.  Oklahoma and Texas are the parents standing outside the door to the Family Law court arbiter.  They're swearing to one another that they're gonna put their petty bullshit aside and do what's best for the children.  Meanwhile, the Arbitrator and the Lawyers inside are planning on being a fucking assholes (the Big XII conference itself) and dragging this out to maximize billing revenue.  The more mature kids like Iowa State, Kansas, and TCU are gonna be fine.  They're gonna re-apply themselves and go on to greater things as a coping mechanism.  Meanwhile, the poorly adjusted kids like Texas Tech, K-State, and Baylor are gonna cope with all of this by taking up hobbies like torturing small animals and hitting girls.  

But Texas and Oklahoma are staying together.  The analogy is breaking down a bit. 

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

With respect to Texas and OU, there are two types of schools- those that want to play the two evacuees again and those that don’t. 
ISU is an example of the latter. They like going to Austin and Texas coming to Ames (especially the last decade) but if Texas never plays them again,…so what. Texas would just be another big program that they never play, like Michigan or USC. They have history with OU, but really,…wouldn’t NU be the team they want to get on the schedule for old times sake?

TCU is an example of the former, as is TT and Baylor. Games against Texas validate their programs, to their fanbases, even when Texas is down. Yes, TCU did a great job navigating back to the P5. Are they up for that again? 
Those programs are playing a risky game, trying to make sure they get a pound of flesh from Texas as it spurns them. Bellmont has an institutional memory. There are reasons Texas never schedules SMU and UH in football. 

This is stupid. In the unfortunate event that we're still around by '23 (and we better fucking not be), this new Big 12 has to have East/West divisions.

For '23/'24 I'd have them like this:

EAST
Central Florida
West Virginia
Cincinnati
Iowa St.
Kansas
Kansas St.
Houston

WEST
Texas
Okla
Okla St.
Tech
Baylor
TCU
BYU

When we and OU leave, shift UofH to the West. Thanks, and that'll be $9.95.

Edited by Saint Austin
typo

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I hope this is what we're negotiating at the moment.  

3 hours ago, statsman said:

With respect to Texas and OU, there are two types of schools- those that want to play the two evacuees again and those that don’t. 
ISU is an example of the latter. They like going to Austin and Texas coming to Ames (especially the last decade) but if Texas never plays them again,…so what. Texas would just be another big program that they never play, like Michigan or USC. They have history with OU, but really,…wouldn’t NU be the team they want to get on the schedule for old times sake?

TCU is an example of the former, as is TT and Baylor. Games against Texas validate their programs, to their fanbases, even when Texas is down. Yes, TCU did a great job navigating back to the P5. Are they up for that again? 
Those programs are playing a risky game, trying to make sure they get a pound of flesh from Texas as it spurns them. Bellmont has an institutional memory. There are reasons Texas never schedules SMU and UH in football. 

I don't like losing OU from the schedule but I absolutely hate that we don't play Nebraska.

All I want is for the Big 8 to be back together.  That league made sense and had a fit that you just don't see any more.  Missouri and Colorado always thought they were better than the other Plains schools, but that was a league that had great personalities, every school within a day's drive of any other school, and some real regional rivalry.  I know that isn't going to happen, but that's what I want.

I'm glad I went to games in Austin, and I always enjoyed hosting Texas, but I still don't see Texas as a school that we absolutely should be playing.  Nebraska is one, and Oklahoma is too, to a lesser extent.  But not Texas.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah I loved the Big 8, too, but an 8-team league just isn't realistic. 

All I want is the original Big 12 back. There was absolutely, positively nothing wrong with that league. It had great regional rivalries, had a good mix of "blue bloods" and quality next-tier down programs and had nice markets. Fuck all of the stupid assholes with their greed and egos that blew up that version of the league.

Yup, this was a great conference map, and should have been implemented well before the mid-90s when there might have been a chance of keeping Arkansas. The sole improvement to this map would have been to swap Arkansas for Baylor. But, the fact that this was one of the first big shakeups and lacked history as a whole was a problem. Add in money and ego, and here we are today. The destruction of regional rivals through realignment should be a criminal offense.

Realignment…Birth of the Super Conference and Death of the Big Red | Big  Red @Big Apple

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah I loved the Big 8, too, but an 8-team league just isn't realistic. 

All I want is the original Big 12 back. There was absolutely, positively nothing wrong with that league. It had great regional rivalries, had a good mix of "blue bloods" and quality next-tier down programs and had nice markets. Fuck all of the stupid assholes with their greed and egos that blew up that version of the league.

Yeah, I'd be 100% down for that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The "old" Big XII had 'nice markets'?  Da Fuh?  

I guess, yeah---I kinda miss the Denver/Rocky Mountain market...but otherwise.......DA FUH?  It's largely comprised of one pocket of shit next to another pocket of shit. 

Just now, Lobo said:

The "old" Big XII had 'nice markets'?  Da Fuh?  

I guess, yeah---I kinda miss the Denver/Rocky Mountain market...but otherwise.......DA FUH?  It's largely comprised of one pocket of shit next to another pocket of shit. 

Isn't that pretty much the same in most of the SEC? It matters more how much people actually care. California and the Northeast are the largest markets but nobody gives a shit so their markets are large but unimportant to college football.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Yup, this was a great conference map, and should have been implemented well before the mid-90s when there might have been a chance of keeping Arkansas. The sole improvement to this map would have been to swap Arkansas for Baylor. But, the fact that this was one of the first big shakeups and lacked history as a whole was a problem. Add in money and ego, and here we are today. The destruction of regional rivals through realignment should be a criminal offense.

Realignment…Birth of the Super Conference and Death of the Big Red | Big  Red @Big Apple

I liked it too. BU has shown to be more successful than Arkansas over the past 10 years (no rape or murder complaining in this post). If we have to go to 14 to keep up with the Joneses and we aren't losing anyone, I'd take Arkansas and hmm, tough one, BYU ?