Jimbo 2019: The Only Tail Getting Busted is Candi's

closetojumping

Spoiler

Liucci

11:41p, 8/21/18

Staff

AG

"After all, what choice do you have when the transfer rules invite the disclosure of misconduct at the student-athlete's former school as grounds for a waiver?"

Pretty telling final quote in Dan Wolken's USA Today article from Santino Marchiol's Arkansas-based attorney and alleged recurring Wolken source Thomas Mars, isn't it? It's clear to me that Mars - who was also Houston Nutt's lawyer in his battle with Ole Miss - would love nothing more than to be at the forefront of sweeping change as it pertains to NCAA transfer rules. That's an entire conversation for another day and I'm sure we'll talk about and listen to talking heads around the country argue about the topic several hundred thousand times over the next few months.

As far as Marchiol, his accusations during a tell-all interview with the national newspaper and Texas A&M go, I'm going to keep this short and sweet for now (at least compared to the 'JRR Wolken' novel). My expectation is that this isn't a groundbreaking story and certainly not the next college football scandal...and that's me saying as much knowing the climate out there today in terms of social media mob justice.

First and foremost, let's state the obvious: Santino left A&M for Arizona to go play for the coach(es) who recruited him out of high school and, in an act of apparent desperation prior to the season starting, took the 'tell all' route in an attempt to gain immediate eligibility in Tuscon. How much he was encouraged to do so, how this factored into the story and how it ultimately was told, one can only speculate.

Breaking this down into the specific accusations, I'm going to start with Ken Marchiol's statement that the coaching style "wasn't teaching, just attacking." It's actually the one part of this whole thing I feel like standing on the table and ranting about. I've covered four head coaching changes in football, one in baseball and three in men's basketball so I've seen plenty when it comes to a new head coach coming in and immediately looking to 'change the culture.' It's been the goal of every new staff and every new boss. Of those eight "big three" coaching changes (and also following plenty of transitions from afar in places like Austin, Baton Rouge and elsewhere), I can honestly say I've never seen a more unanimously accepted shift in style and direction than what I've seen during Fisher's first seven months in College Station. Not only have I heard less off-the-record complaining (none, actually, and that's not common) than in the wake of any head coaching change, it's actually been the exact opposite. To a man, the players I've spoken to since December - and through spring ball, the off-season and into fall camp - have fully embraced the tough love they're receiving (in part because they're getting both the toughness and the love) and are as excited about things like increased levels of discipline, accountability and individual player development and, especially, the direction of the program as any group I've covered over the past 20 years.  

If Marchiol didn't feel the same way, I understand. It's not for everyone and never is. But he's a real outlier in this instance, the exception and definitely not the rule. And the fact that Marchiol's father was at practice and able to give his eyewitness account is worth noting, as well. Even today, I saw a few parents of A&M football players watching from the sidelines, something that's a daily occurrence in College Station, as virtually every one (and maybe literally every one) of Jimbo Fisher's practices are open to parents and family members. That's certainly not the case at every major program and it's also a pretty strong endorsement that the Aggie staff has nothing at all to hide when it comes to how they're teaching and coaching the young men wearing helmets and shoulder pads.

The accusations regarding off-season workouts and practices are something A&M's compliance department will undoubtedly take a hard look at. If - and that's certainly an 'if' because Jimbo Fisher is about a meticulous a head coach as there is - Fisher and his staff worked the players outside of the mandated time constraints or were conducting what were considered actual football practices then you'd probably see something along the lines of the Ags punished with two hours subtracted moving forward as penance for every hour exceeding the limits. Again, this is a big if because the fact of the matter is that there's some real wiggle room (something even Wolken acknowledged) when it comes to voluntary off-season workouts and how they are handled while actually staying WITHIN the rules.

The part about cash to host recruits is where there's really no gray area. Any cover up is always worse than the crime. If it happened, no matter how small an amount it might seem, the only option is honesty and, if guilty, taking your medicine. In this particular alleged instance, the 'medicine' wouldn't be anything remotely close to devastating, for what it's worth. Again, another if because all we have to go on right now is one side's version of what went down and how.

As far as the ankle injury goes and Marchiol not feeling comfortable on the foot, it sure reads to me that Sumlin and his staff let Santino operate at his own pace when it came to returning to practice and the field. So he felt rushed back? As long as he received proper treatment, was evaluated and deemed able to participate, one can only assume that everything was documented by a professional and very meticulous A&M training staff. His entire medical history is on record, including the ankle injury in question. If the bottom line was that the oft-injured second-year linebacker felt uncomfortable returning to action when cleared that would certainly seem to leave open the possibility that we're talking about of a player being cautious to the point of worried while recovering from an ankle sprain and not something sinister or negligent on the part of the A&M trainers, correct?

Finally, for Wolken to mention A&M, Ohio State and Maryland in the same sentence in his article - no matter how loose the association - was a pretty disgusting and reckless misrepresentation of the situation. Are we talking about the same writer who wanted Larry Fedora ousted at North Carolina for his strongly-opinionated and controversial comments during ACC Media Days? I'd say I expect better but, from the same guy who found himself in the middle of the Tennessee imbroglio and came away looking disturbingly unprofessional, I really don't.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Yes, you're right but I would presume the kid discussed it with his coaches before submitting the request. And then the coaches had a nice laugh at the coming explosion for aggy. I'm not saying there's any bad intentions, just that Sumlin must have enjoyed the payback at some level.. 

yeah, I have a feeling his wife publishing the letter was just the last tiny bit of racism they experienced in College Station and with it looking like he would get canned, felt they could go public with it finally. Who knows what they had to endure in the previous years that they kept silent about.

If - and that's certainly an 'if' because Jimbo Fisher is about a meticulous a head coach as there is -

Patently false, and the use of meticulous multiple time feels very much like that was the message pushed from up on high.  Anyone who follows FSU at all knows that one of the clear knocks on Jimbo from the AD and the BMDs was his disorganization. His office is always a fucking mess, his schedule is always double-booked and/or out-of-date. Hell, look at the way the guy looks most of the time. Can you imagine seeing someone like Bryan Harsin with clothes as wrinkled and disheveled in daily life? In the world of college head coaches, INCREDIBLY meticulous people by nature, Jimbo doesn't even reach the mean. 

• Like 1

Let's see. Hmmm. 

We have an Aggie confidently doing something wildly inappropriate. All present are appalled and condemn the Aggie. The Aggie claims he is being persecuted by fools.

It's the Aggie way whether it's yelling Whoop! at a funeral or paying football players. They're never in the wrong. Never.

1 hour ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Reveal hidden contents

Liucci

11:41p, 8/21/18

Staff

AG

"After all, what choice do you have when the transfer rules invite the disclosure of misconduct at the student-athlete's former school as grounds for a waiver?"

Pretty telling final quote in Dan Wolken's USA Today article from Santino Marchiol's Arkansas-based attorney and alleged recurring Wolken source Thomas Mars, isn't it? It's clear to me that Mars - who was also Houston Nutt's lawyer in his battle with Ole Miss - would love nothing more than to be at the forefront of sweeping change as it pertains to NCAA transfer rules. That's an entire conversation for another day and I'm sure we'll talk about and listen to talking heads around the country argue about the topic several hundred thousand times over the next few months.

As far as Marchiol, his accusations during a tell-all interview with the national newspaper and Texas A&M go, I'm going to keep this short and sweet for now (at least compared to the 'JRR Wolken' novel). My expectation is that this isn't a groundbreaking story and certainly not the next college football scandal...and that's me saying as much knowing the climate out there today in terms of social media mob justice.

First and foremost, let's state the obvious: Santino left A&M for Arizona to go play for the coach(es) who recruited him out of high school and, in an act of apparent desperation prior to the season starting, took the 'tell all' route in an attempt to gain immediate eligibility in Tuscon. How much he was encouraged to do so, how this factored into the story and how it ultimately was told, one can only speculate.

Breaking this down into the specific accusations, I'm going to start with Ken Marchiol's statement that the coaching style "wasn't teaching, just attacking." It's actually the one part of this whole thing I feel like standing on the table and ranting about. I've covered four head coaching changes in football, one in baseball and three in men's basketball so I've seen plenty when it comes to a new head coach coming in and immediately looking to 'change the culture.' It's been the goal of every new staff and every new boss. Of those eight "big three" coaching changes (and also following plenty of transitions from afar in places like Austin, Baton Rouge and elsewhere), I can honestly say I've never seen a more unanimously accepted shift in style and direction than what I've seen during Fisher's first seven months in College Station. Not only have I heard less off-the-record complaining (none, actually, and that's not common) than in the wake of any head coaching change, it's actually been the exact opposite. To a man, the players I've spoken to since December - and through spring ball, the off-season and into fall camp - have fully embraced the tough love they're receiving (in part because they're getting both the toughness and the love) and are as excited about things like increased levels of discipline, accountability and individual player development and, especially, the direction of the program as any group I've covered over the past 20 years.  

If Marchiol didn't feel the same way, I understand. It's not for everyone and never is. But he's a real outlier in this instance, the exception and definitely not the rule. And the fact that Marchiol's father was at practice and able to give his eyewitness account is worth noting, as well. Even today, I saw a few parents of A&M football players watching from the sidelines, something that's a daily occurrence in College Station, as virtually every one (and maybe literally every one) of Jimbo Fisher's practices are open to parents and family members. That's certainly not the case at every major program and it's also a pretty strong endorsement that the Aggie staff has nothing at all to hide when it comes to how they're teaching and coaching the young men wearing helmets and shoulder pads.

The accusations regarding off-season workouts and practices are something A&M's compliance department will undoubtedly take a hard look at. If - and that's certainly an 'if' because Jimbo Fisher is about a meticulous a head coach as there is - Fisher and his staff worked the players outside of the mandated time constraints or were conducting what were considered actual football practices then you'd probably see something along the lines of the Ags punished with two hours subtracted moving forward as penance for every hour exceeding the limits. Again, this is a big if because the fact of the matter is that there's some real wiggle room (something even Wolken acknowledged) when it comes to voluntary off-season workouts and how they are handled while actually staying WITHIN the rules.

The part about cash to host recruits is where there's really no gray area. Any cover up is always worse than the crime. If it happened, no matter how small an amount it might seem, the only option is honesty and, if guilty, taking your medicine. In this particular alleged instance, the 'medicine' wouldn't be anything remotely close to devastating, for what it's worth. Again, another if because all we have to go on right now is one side's version of what went down and how.

As far as the ankle injury goes and Marchiol not feeling comfortable on the foot, it sure reads to me that Sumlin and his staff let Santino operate at his own pace when it came to returning to practice and the field. So he felt rushed back? As long as he received proper treatment, was evaluated and deemed able to participate, one can only assume that everything was documented by a professional and very meticulous A&M training staff. His entire medical history is on record, including the ankle injury in question. If the bottom line was that the oft-injured second-year linebacker felt uncomfortable returning to action when cleared that would certainly seem to leave open the possibility that we're talking about of a player being cautious to the point of worried while recovering from an ankle sprain and not something sinister or negligent on the part of the A&M trainers, correct?

Finally, for Wolken to mention A&M, Ohio State and Maryland in the same sentence in his article - no matter how loose the association - was a pretty disgusting and reckless misrepresentation of the situation. Are we talking about the same writer who wanted Larry Fedora ousted at North Carolina for his strongly-opinionated and controversial comments during ACC Media Days? I'd say I expect better but, from the same guy who found himself in the middle of the Tennessee imbroglio and came away looking disturbingly unprofessional, I really don't.

Well, at least Looch addressed the issues and admitted some of it is a problem... that's like half a step up from "NON-STORY"

4 hours ago, golfclap said:

Patently false, and the use of meticulous multiple time feels very much like that was the message pushed from up on high.  Anyone who follows FSU at all knows that one of the clear knocks on Jimbo from the AD and the BMDs was his disorganization. His office is always a fucking mess, his schedule is always double-booked and/or out-of-date. Hell, look at the way the guy looks most of the time. Can you imagine seeing someone like Bryan Harsin with clothes as wrinkled and disheveled in daily life? In the world of college head coaches, INCREDIBLY meticulous people by nature, Jimbo doesn't even reach the mean. 

This won’t be the first or last time that aggy purchased something and doesn’t get what they paid for ... see Eric Dickerson.

I know we've previously theorized that LSU is stuck with Orgeron for another year, because they won't be able to pay his buyout and the buyout of another coach.  But doesn't Fisher's lack of a buyout at aggy change that?  If LSU is only on the hook for $8.5m if they fire O (and not the $8.5m to fire O and a similar amount to hire someone), I could definitely see them trying to do that later this year, versus sticking with O for another year.

And O's buyout only drops to $6m after 2019, so it's not like they take a bunch off the top by waiting 12 months.

15 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I know we've previously theorized that LSU is stuck with Orgeron for another year, because they won't be able to pay his buyout and the buyout of another coach.  But doesn't Fisher's lack of a buyout at aggy change that?  If LSU is only on the hook for $8.5m if they fire O (and not the $8.5m to fire O and a similar amount to hire someone), I could definitely see them trying to do that later this year, versus sticking with O for another year.

And O's buyout only drops to $6m after 2019, so it's not like they take a bunch off the top by waiting 12 months.

If Fisher goes 6-6 or 7-5 this year why would LSU want Fisher?

Back to back years of 5-7 and 6-6/7-5 isn't going to get LSU folks excited.  

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

If Fisher goes 6-6 or 7-5 this year why would LSU want Fisher?

Back to back years of 5-7 and 6-6/7-5 isn't going to get LSU folks excited.  

(1) They think that someone's success or failure at aggy is probably not an indicator of that coach's actual value as a HC (they're probably right).

(2) Compared to what they've had on campus since he left as OC, they believe in his ability to develop quarterback/offensive talent needed to get them out of their rut of third-place SEC west finishes (they're probably right).

(3) They know that he has a reputation as being a "bag man" type recruiter who can recruit against the best (worst?) of the SEC at Bama and UGA (they're probably right).

(4) They're going to be abso-fucking-lutely desperate to get rid of Orgeron, and his lack of a buyout, plus head coaching experience, plus successful play-calling experience in the SEC, makes him extremely appealing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beef said:

Why would Jimbo leave for a school paying him less than $7.5M? Who is going to pay him more than $7.5M? 

Would you rather work for and with aggy for 7.5 million a year, or in Baton Rouge for 6.5 million per year?  LSU learned its lesson with bargain bin head coaches. 

Only thing better than him leaving aggy after one year would be him leaving aggy after one year for less money. 

LSU ain't gonna guarantee him 10 years with no offset... there is literally nobody else on the planet that's going to give Jimbo a contract that stupid.  Even if LSU gets close in annual money, they're not touching the contract length or fully guaranteeing it. The smart thing for LSU to do is publicly flirt with the idea and force aggie to give Fisher a raise and\or extend the contract length.  

Edited by RabidM

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yup. I don't see him bolting. He's riding out that contract until they fire him. 

Exactly. More likely diminishing returns in store for aggy. Would not surprise me to see him at LSU after Ed. “Jimbolaya”? Sorry, .....out.

7 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, here's the link to Fisher's contract: https://www.scribd.com/document/386821719/Jimbo-Fisher-Contract#from_embed

And here's the (lack of a) buyout clause:

Screen_Shot_2018_08_22_at_1.29.27_PM.png

5.5. Other amounts due under this agreement:  $75,000,000

this would have been the smart move for the hillbilly from bumblefuck WV negotiating with desperate aggy

I like this article for many reasons, not the least of which is that Okeke was a question mark as it was ... 

Via Tarp ::

A&M personnel, scheme provide ability to cover for loss of Okeke

I had to drive back to Dallas last night after practice so I didn’t get everything up from the media portion of the session that I wanted to. Here’s some thoughts on the rover position going forward.

- There’s always people dinged up as either spring ball or fall camp comes to a close. Really, other than Ikenna Okeke’s season ending injury and Micheal Clemon’s injury, there’s really nothing major that’s happened so far from that standpoint. A&M has been fortunate in that regard.

- Don’t take this personally but I’ve never seen so much angst over losing a backup player. Sure, Okeke could have backed up Buddy Johnson and theoretically provided more of a rotation at the position but A&M had already been using Johnson on the inside as a backup linebacker with Anthony Hines playing the rover when Johnson moved inside. Hines is a player with great vision, closing speed, and range who seems to be well suited for that spot. Okeke’s injury cuts into A&M’s depth but as long as the top four players…Otaro Alaka, Tyrel Dodson, Johnson, and Hines…are available, it’s probably not a significant blow. A&M played the same foursome much of the time last season and while most people would prefer not to have to do it again, it’s also not an insurmountable issue.

- The use of Larry Pryor at rover is probably A&M’s best bet to get a fifth player into the rotation at the three positions. Pryor was doing mostly individual drills for a while as opposed to working with the rest of the safeties and finally has gotten back onto the field. Pryor doesn’t have great range but he is about 210 pounds and should be an adequate short area player as long as he’s not asked to do too much. However, I’m not sure how much we’ll see him there if both Johnson and Hines are available to play the position.

- Jimbo Fisher noted yesterday that many teams use the spread which means that a nickel back would be playing the majority of the time versus the Northwestern States of the world. In addition, very few teams on A&M’s schedule use 12 or 21 personnel and even those that do such as Alabama and LSU also get in 11 and 10 personnel a lot as well. That shifts the burden not to a backup rover so much but to the nickel back which has been manned at different times in the past few months by Deshawn Capers-Smith and Roney Elam. Capers-Smith has better coverage skills than Pryor and probably better closing speed.

- The use of a bigger player on one side at defensive end will also help make the next rover’s role easier, especially against the run. It’s one thing to have a 250 pounder set the edge versus the run; it’s another to have Kingsley Keke or Bobby Brown doing so. For example, if someone needs to pull to get outside and try to take out the rover on power or counter, it’s going to be harder to do so if they can’t get down the line of scrimmage because the playside end has stalemated that side of the ball or gotten penetration.

- Overall, A&M is better off with the players they came out of the spring with at the position (and Okeke also adds something via special teams). Nonetheless, Mike Elko’s defense and the demands of the position make it perhaps the most flexible position within the scheme from a personnel standpoint and the players on the roster can minimize the fallout from losing someone like Okeke.

12 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I like this article for many reasons, not the least of which is that Okeke was a question mark as it was ... 

Via Tarp ::

Pryor doesn’t have great range but he is about 210 pounds and should be an adequate short area player as long as he’s not asked to do too much.

Hold the fucking phone. This guy's comment on Larry Pryor, a guy who was a S and WR coming out of HS, and who has been practicing S since he's been in the program...doesn't have much range as a rover.

They're moving a safety to an OLB linebacker spot, and even then, their evaluation is that he doesn't have much range to play rover? Isn't the absolutely ONLY thing this guy should be able to bring to the table is range at the rover position? What in the holy fuck?

"Okeke’s injury cuts into A&M’s depth but as long as the top four players…Otaro Alaka, Tyrel Dodson, Johnson, and Hines…are available, it’s probably not a significant blow."

Yes.  There is no recent history of aggy LBs being hurt (especially Alaka).  I'm sure this will work out fine.  Very little risk here.

"Jimbo Fisher noted yesterday that many teams use the spread which means that a nickel back would be playing the majority of the time..."

LOS league?

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Hold the fucking phone. This guy's comment on Larry Pryor, a guy who was a S and WR coming out of HS, and who has been practicing S since he's been in the program...doesn't have much range as a rover.

They're moving a safety to an OLB linebacker spot, and even then, their evaluation is that he doesn't have much range to play rover? Isn't the absolutely ONLY thing this guy should be able to bring to the table is range at the rover position? What in the holy fuck?

Well, he's no Leon, but he's fast enough.

• Like 1