Guy fieri

closetohumping

6 hours ago, closetohumping said:

He’s from California.   I don’t think he’s a red neck at all either way

I'm aware of that, but his persona, whether or not it is real, comes across as a disingenuous mash up of Sammy Hagar and Larry the Cable Guy.  I find some personalities grating, and his is one of them.  It doesn't matter if he is a genuinely nice guy, he's annoying, at least to me.    

Edited by idigTexas
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, idigTexas said:

I'm aware of that, but his persona, whether or not it is real, comes across as a disingenuous mash up of Sammy Hagar and Larry the Cable Guy.  I find some personalities grating, and his is one of them.  It doesn't matter if he is a genuinely nice guy, he's annoying, at least to me.    

Don't disagree with anything you wrote, but I just started respecting the guy when I realized he parlayed that shtick into a $80M three year contract with the channel.  He quietly grinded on DDD for years, then GGG, until he became the face of the Food Channel.

Bobby Flay demanded a larger contract than Fieri's, then had to come crawling back after the Channel, without telling him, announced he was leaving, lol.

Edited by Wade

3 hours ago, Wade said:

Don't disagree with anything you wrote, but I just started respecting the guy when I realized he parlayed that shtick into a $80M three year contract with the channel.  He quietly grinded on DDD for years, then GGG, until he became the face of the Food Channel.

That doesn't make me like him or admire his accomplishments.  It makes me weep for the future...another small step toward Ow! My Balls! 

5 hours ago, Deej said:

All you need to know about Guy's cooking skills is that the the thread about him is here and not in Food and Travel.

If you watched the last couple seasons of GGG, I think he/FN finally addressed the idea he can’t/doesn’t cook and is all his persona. He’s been more actively cooking on the show 

Apparently has a new show coming out, tonight?,  where contestants vie for franchise ownership of his chicken place.  I can’t say I’ve ever I’d any or much attention to any of his old cooking shows, pretty much Ina, Flay and Tyler were the only cooking shows I paid attention too, other than Giada’s tits. 

7 hours ago, VolenteHawk said:

That was hilarious. Especially the part about people shitting on Fieri for wearing flames on his shirt but loving Bourdain for wearing Rolling Stones tee shirts and telling people their food sucks.

I'm not a fan of either but anyone that is a Bourdain fan is someone that likes to sniff their own farts.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

So you feel the need to come into a thread of a guy you admit might be a nice person who charitably helps many others but you find annoying just to announce in multiple posts that you, a random individual poster, find him annoying? You don’t see me trolling on the Sex in the City thread you started to chime in that I think it’s a shallow, pretentious, low IQ sack of drivel that fucked up a generation of women’s thinking. I just stay off that thread. Welcome to flavor country. 

My bad, I missed the "must gargle Guy's balls to post in this thread" line in the OP. 

If you are going to lamely attempt to associate me with some chick show, at least get the name right.  While I'm no fanboy, I'd gladly watch Sex and the City over anything with Guy Fieri in it.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I hate to back up Shirley on this one, but one of my friends owned a restaurant that was featured on DDD and he spent like two days with him and said that Guy was a raging asshole. 

It still doesn't stop me from channel surfing and landing on his show and then realizing that I've been watching him for 2 hours.

• Hook 'Em 1

my mate watches all the time. we've probably visited 10-12 places he's featured on DDD. i don't recall any of them being bad and several were excellent. 

my fav was coconut shrimp and fish fritters from a food truck on the side of the road somewhere along the north shore beach of Oahu. also, the food was pretty good. 😁🤙

On 12/26/2021 at 6:20 AM, Wade said:

Bobby Flay demanded a larger contract than Fieri's, then had to come crawling back after the Channel, without telling him, announced he was leaving, lol.

I think Guy won a job with food network on “the next food network star”.   Funny you said that about Bobby who is apparently an ego maniac.  I get Bobby is the far better chef but he’s a prick. 

also Guy is a major philanthropist 

On 12/26/2021 at 2:20 PM, YChang said:

I mean it can all be true — he can’t cook, has no taste, and he’s a super nice guy. 

He can put cook 99.9% of those board. He’s got the chops.  He’s not morimoto but he can hang with most.  

guy doesn’t seem to take himself too seriously 

if I have a complaint, it appears he’s trying to make Hunter a star and that kid sucks.  Also, I’ve eaten at several of the places he’s visited and a couple have been meaty okra

Upthread, someone mentioned that one of the DDD restaurant owners thought he was a prick, I’d bet there’s more to the story  

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 1

I get why people don't like, but he used his fame to raise over $21 million for restaurants during Covid. If I was to go out drinking and looking for some fun I would much rather pick him over most other celebrity chef's. However I also like other cooking douche's like Sam the Cooking Guy, and the bald Burgers Brew and Que guy from Iron Chef. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

I get why people don't like, but he used his fame to raise over $21 million for restaurants during Covid. If I was to go out drinking and looking for some fun I would much rather pick him over most other celebrity chef's. However I also like other cooking douche's like Sam the Cooking Guy, and the bald Burgers Brew and Que guy from Iron Chef. 

Bbq iron chef is Michael Simon.  That guy seems like a fun guy to ah g around and is a great chef.    Also seems to be Bobby flays bff

Thinking about it, not sure if I’ve ever seen him or Flay on the same show as Fieri

Alor of chefs seem to want to associate with Guy.  If you watch GGG, chefs like Tila, Lofaso, Blaise and Voltaggio are frequent judges

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

Bbq iron chef is Michael Simon.  That guy seems like a fun guy to ah g around and is a great chef.    Also seems to be Bobby flays bff

Thinking about it, not sure if I’ve ever seen him or Flay on the same show as Fieri

Thank you, was trying not to look up Michael SImon. Yeah he would be fun to be with and I did see him and Fieri together previously a long while back, but I think Simon is only on the Cooking Network now (could easily be wrong). 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/26/2021 at 10:48 PM, Hate said:

Fuck the haters.  I like Guy Fieri and will continue to like Guy Fieri.  I'm also willing to bet that he is a better chef than anyone posting on this thread.  He just chose a different path and it worked out for him. 

Everybody hates on Guy Fieri but secretly wishes they had his job

• Hook 'Em 1

I like the guy. Is he over the top sometimes? Yeah, but what the fuck.

So far as taping the show. I worked for PGA productions for a year filming bullshit content. One of the projects was the finials of the Putt-Putt championship. No shit, they actually hold such an event.

But even those small projects required a boom camera, with cameraman and operator. One handheld camera, cameraman and battery loader slash handyman. A producer, two people who obviously handle the actual broadcast, and whatever assistance they needed. It was like a crew of ten to shoot two guys playing fucking putt-putt. So yeah I could see that getting on someone’s nerves who didn’t realize that professionally  filming their episode would be a pain in the ass.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

Guy Fieri is a good guy. Some restaurant owners get prickly with the long arduous process of the show, of which Guy is involved with for the three or four days of shooting. The producers work hard with the owners to prep for the show. Some of the owners cook less than Guy does and it sometimes shows. Guy also works hard with the owners to try to prepare them for the 5 to 10x increase in business the show will drive, and what they should do to take advantage of it. Some do some don’t. I’ve eaten in a number of the joints he goes to and talk to the owners when I can and all love the dude.

When he started folks like Bourdain mocked him and the good media panned him. He has done more for mom and pops than anyone out there. What a twist is that nowadays some of the top chefs in the country kill to be on his non ddd/ggg shows like his ranch cooking show and his tournament of champions. Jonathan Waxman, Mark Miller, Traci DesJardins, and others populate his show. It’s great for business. And he gives back.

Check out his documentary about the early Covid months and impact on independents.

nice try, Guy!

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Thank you, was trying not to look up Michael SImon. Yeah he would be fun to be with and I did see him and Fieri together previously a long while back, but I think Simon is only on the Cooking Network now (could easily be wrong). 

Michael Symon is constantly on Beat Bobby Flay as a judge.  Probably a judge on some of the other competition shows as well.

The Food Network has given him his own show that debuted about a week ago.  Throwdown With Michael Symon has Symon showing up and facing off with a chef over that chef's signature dish.  I've watched the first few episodes and it is okay so far.  One of the first episodes was a throwdown over khachpauri, which I had never heard of.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just over a month ago, the people from Roadfood released a television food and travel show. Its about ten years too late. I couldn't tell you which channel its on, or where to stream it, or who hosts it without checking. The first episode is about Houston, and I don't know much about Houston because I haven't been there in a long time. I don't know if the show features what the city is like today, or whether its more like an older person's idea of what eating out in Houston is like. The people who wrote the Roadfood book a long time ago didn't adjust to the changing media and the way America has changed since their book was selling. They were too bought into old social values and a backwards sense of what eating out in America is and hadn't realized how much has changed or how much of the nostalgia that people and places sell to other people kinda sells a fictional sense of what things used to be a long time ago. The Roadfood books had a huge influence on the pilot episode and fist seasons of DDD. 

When Guy Fieri won the Food Network Star and had his first success with DDD and then other shows, he didn't fit what other people's expectations were for a food television host. You wouldn't just switch on to cable television and see a guy with frosted tips and tattoos on the food network, and people with the older social values never accepted the guy or could take him seriously. When you grow older you see it happen in all kinds of places.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just over a month ago, the people from Roadfood released a television food and travel show. Its about ten years too late. I couldn't tell you which channel its on, or where to stream it, or who hosts it without checking. The first episode is about Houston, and I don't know much about Houston because I haven't been there in a long time. I don't know if the show features what the city is like today, or whether its more like an older person's idea of what eating out in Houston is like. The people who wrote the Roadfood book a long time ago didn't adjust to the changing media and the way America has changed since their book was selling. They were too bought into old social values and a backwards sense of what eating out in America is and hadn't realized how much has changed or how much of the nostalgia that people and places sell to other people kinda sells a fictional sense of what things used to be a long time ago. The Roadfood books had a huge influence on the pilot episode and fist seasons of DDD. 

When Guy Fieri won the Food Network Star and had his first success with DDD and then other shows, he didn't fit what other people's expectations were for a food television host. You wouldn't just switch on to cable television and see a guy with frosted tips and tattoos on the food network, and people with the older social values never accepted the guy or could take him seriously. When you grow older you see it happen in all kinds of places.

Guy’s wife does much behind the scenes. As he was preparing for NFNS his wife thought his look was too typical and she is the one who told him to bleach his hair. He had no visible tats back then either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/28/2021 at 7:57 AM, 4th&Five said:

Anytime I travel to a new city I look up where he’s been there. At this point I’ve probably been to close to 100 of the joints he’s visited and only a handful have been a disappointment. 

I've eaten at maybe 5. I'd describe one as not that great but the rest have been very good.

I think there was a post up top about Bobby Flay making salary demands only to come crawling back.  Doesn't surprise me as FN pretty much dumped Mario Batali, Rachel Ray, Emeril, and Alton brown on a whim.  I know some still appear on the FN at times but they were key players 15-20 years ago.  Yes, I get that there were other circumstances with Mario.

Edited by closetohumping

On 12/28/2021 at 7:31 AM, ScottS said:

Michael Symon is constantly on Beat Bobby Flay as a judge.  Probably a judge on some of the other competition shows as well.

The Food Network has given him his own show that debuted about a week ago.  Throwdown With Michael Symon has Symon showing up and facing off with a chef over that chef's signature dish.  I've watched the first few episodes and it is okay so far.  One of the first episodes was a throwdown over khachpauri, which I had never heard of.

Wow.  Flay had a show like that, maybe ten years ago?  

• 3 weeks later...
I've eaten at maybe 5. I'd describe one as not that great but the rest have been very good.

I think there was a post up top about Bobby Flay making salary demands only to come crawling back.  Doesn't surprise me as FN pretty much dumped Mario Batali, Rachel Ray, Emeril, and Alton brown on a whim.  I know some still appear on the FN at times but they were key players 15-20 years ago.  Yes, I get that there were other circumstances with Mario.

I think all of these are different issues. Used to be you never saw FN folks on other networks, or Top chef/Bravo chiefs, on other networks. Now the exclusive contracts seem fewer.. once Fox got into cooking with MasterChef, some chefs started crossing over. At least the guest ones. Jonathan Waxman is a Mt Rushmore American chef and he’s on lots of Guy Fieri shows on FN, Top Chef, Fox, setc.

I go back with FN to its launch on Directv around 95. Bobby Flay was all over it with Grilling and Chillin and a couple of other cooking shows. He’s never left. Rachel Ray outgrew FN with her talk show; it was huge for a few years, but she still does some FN. Alton Brown never really left and has had huge shows. 13 years of Good Eats not counting the new ones. 192 eps of Cutthroat kitchen. 246 episodes of iron chef. Plus next iron chef. FN star. Bunch of other stuff. He had a nasty divorce that was entangled with his business. Got remarried and is touring. (We went to his show in Grand Prairie…meh)

Natalie went to that View type show on abc before his dick troubles erupted. Emeril is the one I don’t get. He more than anyone skyrocketed Good tv as a big genre.
  • Hook 'Em 1

The third Tournament of Champions will be out next month.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish/shows/guy-fieri-tournament-of-champions-season-3

Fresh off a history-making second season of Tournament of Champions, Guy is here to change the game once again, and in true Fieri fashion, he’s promising the biggest, best season of TOC ever when the first episode kicks off Sunday, Feb. 27 at 8|7c.

That’s right, TOC III is set to be supersized in every single way. In the past we’ve had 16 chefs competing… but not this year. Get ready to cheer for a whopping 32 (!!!) of the greatest culinary masterminds in the world as they come together in Guy’s hallowed arena for a chance at the hugest cash prize in tournament history: a staggering $100,000. Additionally, Guy has doubled the number of episodes to eight this season and has boosted each to be two hours long. Tune in every Sunday to watch *four* can’t-miss battles — each with win-or-go-home stakes — as the bracket unfolds and your favorite match-ups go head-to-head.

Yes, the Randomizer is back, and yes, it too will be outfitted with all-new ingredients designed to even the playing field and keep competitors on their toes as the challenges continue. Floor reporters Justin Warner and Simon Majumdar will be on hand once again to closely monitor the chefs’ processes and ultimately present their dishes to the judges. As always, TOC III will employ blind-judging; the chefs don’t know who the judges are, and the judges aren’t aware of whose food they’re eating or even who’s competing. It’s all about the food here, and the only thing that matters is what’s on the plate.

From shocking spins of the Randomizer to bracket-busting upsets and emotional reveals, this season of Tournament of Champions will be the most-dramatic one yet. And you, the fans, are invited to join the conversation in real time as episodes air. Beginning with the premiere on Sunday, Feb. 27 at 8|7c, fans can head to @FoodNetwork on Twitter to vote in each Round 1 battle and support their favorite chefs with custom hashtags. And after Round 1, fans can once again build their own TOC brackets and select who they think is going to win the coveted $100k prize. Everyone participating in the Twitter bracket experience will be entered for a chance to win huge prizes as well so don’t miss out on this customized event when it begins on March 20.

Ready to find out who’s competing this year? Here’s what we’ve got. The chefs representing the East Coast are Eric Adjepong, Einat Admony, Karen Akunowicz, Kelsey Barnard Clark, defending champion and Tournament of Champions II winner Maneet Chauhan, Madison Cowan, Tobias Dorzon, Tiffani Faison, Darnell Ferguson, Amanda Freitag, Richard Hales, Christian Petroni, Michael Psilakis, Aarthi Sampath, Justin Sutherland and Bryan Voltaggio. The chefs showing off their chops from the West Coast are Carlos Anthony, Shirley Chung, Chris Cosentino, Tiffany Derry, Elizabeth Falkner, Phillip Frankland Lee, Timothy Hollingsworth, Antonia Lofaso, Crista Luedtke, Brian Malarkey, Aaron May, Joe Sasto, Jet Tila, Marcel Vigneron, Michael Voltaggio and Season 1 winner Brooke Williamson.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hate said:

The third Tournament of Champions will be out next month.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish/shows/guy-fieri-tournament-of-champions-season-3

Fresh off a history-making second season of Tournament of Champions, Guy is here to change the game once again, and in true Fieri fashion, he’s promising the biggest, best season of TOC ever when the first episode kicks off Sunday, Feb. 27 at 8|7c.

That’s right, TOC III is set to be supersized in every single way. In the past we’ve had 16 chefs competing… but not this year. Get ready to cheer for a whopping 32 (!!!) of the greatest culinary masterminds in the world as they come together in Guy’s hallowed arena for a chance at the hugest cash prize in tournament history: a staggering $100,000. Additionally, Guy has doubled the number of episodes to eight this season and has boosted each to be two hours long. Tune in every Sunday to watch *four* can’t-miss battles — each with win-or-go-home stakes — as the bracket unfolds and your favorite match-ups go head-to-head.

Yes, the Randomizer is back, and yes, it too will be outfitted with all-new ingredients designed to even the playing field and keep competitors on their toes as the challenges continue. Floor reporters Justin Warner and Simon Majumdar will be on hand once again to closely monitor the chefs’ processes and ultimately present their dishes to the judges. As always, TOC III will employ blind-judging; the chefs don’t know who the judges are, and the judges aren’t aware of whose food they’re eating or even who’s competing. It’s all about the food here, and the only thing that matters is what’s on the plate.

From shocking spins of the Randomizer to bracket-busting upsets and emotional reveals, this season of Tournament of Champions will be the most-dramatic one yet. And you, the fans, are invited to join the conversation in real time as episodes air. Beginning with the premiere on Sunday, Feb. 27 at 8|7c, fans can head to @FoodNetwork on Twitter to vote in each Round 1 battle and support their favorite chefs with custom hashtags. And after Round 1, fans can once again build their own TOC brackets and select who they think is going to win the coveted $100k prize. Everyone participating in the Twitter bracket experience will be entered for a chance to win huge prizes as well so don’t miss out on this customized event when it begins on March 20.

Ready to find out who’s competing this year? Here’s what we’ve got. The chefs representing the East Coast are Eric Adjepong, Einat Admony, Karen Akunowicz, Kelsey Barnard Clark, defending champion and Tournament of Champions II winner Maneet Chauhan, Madison Cowan, Tobias Dorzon, Tiffani Faison, Darnell Ferguson, Amanda Freitag, Richard Hales, Christian Petroni, Michael Psilakis, Aarthi Sampath, Justin Sutherland and Bryan Voltaggio. The chefs showing off their chops from the West Coast are Carlos Anthony, Shirley Chung, Chris Cosentino, Tiffany Derry, Elizabeth Falkner, Phillip Frankland Lee, Timothy Hollingsworth, Antonia Lofaso, Crista Luedtke, Brian Malarkey, Aaron May, Joe Sasto, Jet Tila, Marcel Vigneron, Michael Voltaggio and Season 1 winner Brooke Williamson.

wayward pines GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 years later...

flavor bomb, good or bad?

Celebrity chef and TV host Guy Fieri expands his grocery store footprint with the launch of new Flavortown Sauces.

Guy Fieri's Flavortown Sauces consists of nine condiments and BBQ sauces, including:

Famous Donkey Sauce - A creamy, garlicky, flavor-bombed aioli.

Top Secret Sauce - A creamy aioli with notes of chili powder, mustard, and garlic.

Honey Mustard Sauce - A tangy mustard with sweet honey creaminess.

Poppin' Jalapeno Sauce - A creamy, garlicky aioli featuring spicy jalapenos.

Kickin' Chipotle Sauce -  A mayo-based sauce with spicy heat from a combination of smoky chipotle, chili, and spices.

Smokin' Hickory BBQ Sauce - A BBQ sauce with a "just-right balance of sticky, sweet, smoky and tangy."

Mop Sauce BBQ Sauce - A BBQ sauce made with chile, spices, molasses, and some mustard tang.

Carolina Style BBQ Sauce - A BBQ sauce made featuring "tangy mustard, a little sweetness, and savory spice."

Money Honey BBQ Sauce: Just what you're lookin' for. Sweet, sticky honey pulls together brown sugar, a hint of tomato and spices that'll upgrade any dish…and you can take that to the bank.

The Flavortown Sauces is produced by Litehouse Foods. You can find the new sauce at grocery retailers nationwide starting next month (March 2024) with a suggested price that ranges from $4 to $5.

Link

Edited by TheStoicPaisano

2 hours ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Link

I like DDD and have heard from people who have dealt with Guy Fieri that he's a fun guy. The Shane Torres bit is also hilarious, as is all of the foodie pretention from folks who get riled up about the guy. 

That considered, I can't see myself buying any of those sauces unless people start raving about them, and I like sauces. Sometimes, the cheesiness just exhausts itself. What plays well in front of a camera with a restaurateur might not be the same direction I want to see my food going. Kind of like Forrest Gump the movie being a favorite, but Bubba Gump the restaurant being a fucking nightmare that I have to take little kids to once every 12-18 months when I'm trapped somewhere. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Celebrity chef and TV host Guy Fieri expands his grocery store footprint with the launch of new Flavortown Sauces.
Guy Fieri's Flavortown Sauces consists of nine condiments and BBQ sauces, including:
Famous Donkey Sauce - A creamy, garlicky, flavor-bombed aioli.
Top Secret Sauce - A creamy aioli with notes of chili powder, mustard, and garlic.
Honey Mustard Sauce - A tangy mustard with sweet honey creaminess.
Poppin' Jalapeno Sauce - A creamy, garlicky aioli featuring spicy jalapenos.
Kickin' Chipotle Sauce -  A mayo-based sauce with spicy heat from a combination of smoky chipotle, chili, and spices.
Smokin' Hickory BBQ Sauce - A BBQ sauce with a "just-right balance of sticky, sweet, smoky and tangy."
Mop Sauce BBQ Sauce - A BBQ sauce made with chile, spices, molasses, and some mustard tang.
Carolina Style BBQ Sauce - A BBQ sauce made featuring "tangy mustard, a little sweetness, and savory spice."
Money Honey BBQ Sauce: Just what you're lookin' for. Sweet, sticky honey pulls together brown sugar, a hint of tomato and spices that'll upgrade any dish…and you can take that to the bank.
The Flavortown Sauces is produced by Litehouse Foods. You can find the new sauce at grocery retailers nationwide starting next month (March 2024) with a suggested price that ranges from $4 to $5.
Link

This is all a big project of Golden west Foods that has signed up Guy, Gordon Ramsay, Kardea Brown, and Andrew Zimmern for frozen foods, sauces, seasonings, etc. The frozen entrees are all at Walmart and Big chains. The Guy items don’t seem out of character but Ramsay’s are just dreadful. He spent an entire season of the f word railing against frozen meals and here he is pimping Wellington bites and shepherds pie. All are loaded with chemicals and tout “made with bioengineered products”. I’ve not tried any as they are $6 - 7 for a TV dinner.

BTW Zimmern has really progressed from the weirdness of his shows eating bugs and various dicks around the world. His family dinner show is good but his wild game cooking series is really very good.
  • Hook 'Em 1

It looks like folks who were hoping to visit Guy Fieri's Flavortown are in for a disappointment. Fans of the celebrity chef, best known as the host of "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" and "Tournament of Champions," received the upsetting news on February 29 that the first-of-its-kind Flavortown Festival in Columbus, Ohio — not to be confused with Fieri's larger-than-life Tennessee eatery, Downtown Flavortown — has been unceremoniously canceled, per a report from Columbus Underground.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/guy-fieri-s-flavortown-festival-is-canceled-here-s-what-we-know/ar-BB1jbyVt?ocid=socialshare&pc=HCTS&cvid=a9aed00f9a5b4cffdac7515b937395b7&ei=18

• Hook 'Em 2