Guy fieri

closetohumping

He’s a good dude. Gives local restaurant owners and chefs a big platform on DDD/GGG. Cooks for firefighters, donates to charities. Donated a lot to struggling restaurants during COVID.

Def trying to make his dink son the next Guy, but that dude has the personality of a wet napkin 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

When the DDD show originally started, it was heavily derivative of the Roadfood book by Jane and Michael Stern. Like the show producers just opened the book and said lets make a tv show out of this. When Guy Fieri was on the Food Network Star tv show they had literally found the perfect host for the program. A decade later and something like 200 episodes later and the Food Network can just fill up an entire day with DDD reruns and get decent audiences and commercial revenue. Its what show creators dream about when they are trying to put together new programs.

• Hook 'Em 2

I've met GF and know several people who've spent time around him and he is as solid of a dude as you can be. Easy to talk to, down to earth and very articulate. His original restaurants in Santa Rosa are very good nothing like the marketing ploys in NYC or Vegas. Very savy businessman. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

He’s a good dude. Gives local restaurant owners and chefs a big platform on DDD/GGG. Cooks for firefighters, donates to charities. Donated a lot to struggling restaurants during COVID.

Def trying to make his dink son the next Guy, but that dude has the personality of a wet napkin 

He strikes me as an asshole. Shirley, the owner of Shirley’s Diner in Omaha, said he’s an asshole. (Great diner, btw, and Shirley is really cool. She performed in the USO In  Vietnam but quit when a couple of the girls she worked with were killed by snipers. I don’t know if she’s still around.) Guy’s restaurant in Times Square was panned in a scathing review in the NYT and has since gone out of business. I think he’s more of a showman than someone who knows food. 

2 hours ago, trza-hawk said:

When the DDD show originally started, it was heavily derivative of the Roadfood book by Jane and Michael Stern. Like the show producers just opened the book and said lets make a tv show out of this. When Guy Fieri was on the Food Network Star tv show they had literally found the perfect host for the program. A decade later and something like 200 episodes later and the Food Network can just fill up an entire day with DDD reruns and get decent audiences and commercial revenue. Its what show creators dream about when they are trying to put together new programs.

I got curious and had to check, 419 episodes as of right now. Its a commercial cash cow. 

15 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

He strikes me as an asshole. Shirley, the owner of Shirley’s Diner in Omaha, said he’s an asshole. (Great diner, btw, and Shirley is really cool. She performed in the USO In  Vietnam but quit when a couple of the girls she worked with were killed by snipers. I don’t know if she’s still around.) Guy’s restaurant in Times Square was panned in a scathing review in the NYT and has since gone out of business. I think he’s more of a showman than someone who knows food. 

He used to get a lot of online criticism for lack of cooking. He’s been cooking more on GGG

The production group that created DDD, Page Productions, had come up the show and needed a host and Guy Fieri was the perfect fit for the show. But the producers and Fieri eventually had a falling out and Fieri was able to use his position as the star of the show to get a whole different production company in charge. I don't care to look up what they disagreed over. The one guy that heads the company is more of a writer, he wrote a book about regional American food during the pandemic. Meaning he wrote the book during the pandemic, not that the subject matter was the pandemic. Food Americana by David Page. Anyway, if you have a successful tv show, the number one rule as a producer should be to keep the star happy and do anything to keep him happy if you want to keep those residual checks flowing in.

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

Given that Guy is descended from Italians, I give him credit for trying to help his offspring out by marrying a non-Italian, but still.  He should consider himself a successful dad if his son doesn't turn out like Dr. Phil's son.

50 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Well shit, if Shirley said so then it must be.  

I didn’t need to hear it from Shirley. I know an asshole when I see one. I also know someone who’s cool when I see them and Shirley was cool as hell.

What’s Guy Fieri’s signature dish? Ooh, he’s got a buzzword — Flavortown! He’s a reality tv star.

Who’s ever actually eaten his food? Tell us where you went, what you had, and what it was like. 

He raised 25 million for restaurant workers last year and regularly cooks for fire fighters fighting wildfires.
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

He raised 25 million for restaurant workers last year and regularly cooks for fire fighters fighting wildfires.

What an asshole. Shirley was right.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Js1 said:

Did more for the restaurant industry during covid than the government.  Great guy, down to earth it seems.  But the son idk yet

On 7/31/2021 at 2:43 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Guy’s restaurant in Times Square was panned in a scathing review in the NYT and has since gone out of business. I think he’s more of a showman than someone who knows food. 

Seems kinda harsh. lulz.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/dining/reviews/restaurant-review-guys-american-kitchen-bar-in-times-square.html?.?mc=aud_dev&ad-keywords=auddevgate&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI19mh5ouR8gIVsgmICR018gELEAAYASAAEgIXjPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• 2 weeks later...

One of my best friends does hair/makeup for celebs and has worked with him a lot. She says he’s a legit good guy and nice to everyone on set. Does a lot of people behind the scenes. Also said you can make fun at his shtick but he’s laughing all the way to the bank.
Also, his restaurant in the Cancun airport is fucking gross.

On 7/31/2021 at 2:43 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

I think Shirley may be talking out of her ass.  The only USO performer that was killed in Vietnam was an Australian lady who was killed by some fucked up GI (after a Google search). 

I like Guy and his shows.  My wife can watch GGG all day long including shows she's already seen.  I don't get why he is trying to push Hunter into some Food network star though.  It may be different if Hunter could cook or had some discernible skill, but he doesn't seem to.  The episode last night was pretty good though when they made Guy eat eggs.  I really don't understand how anyone can hate eggs.  That may be the only other criticism I have of him.

This thread kills.

I'll watch DDD because it seems to show a fairly unvarnished behind-the-scenes view of mom & pop joints and the things they cook, which is good.  Guy F is just the cost of watching the show.  I really don't know why I need to love him (or hate him) to get some cooking tips from people actually cranking out chicken fried steak and jambalaya on the front lines, but whatever.  I've picked up a whole shit-ton of information from his show, which is probably an indictment of how rudimentary my cooking skills are.  Hey, they're getting better.

• 4 months later...
On 8/12/2021 at 6:12 AM, nycHorn said:

One of my best friends does hair/makeup for celebs and has worked with him a lot. She says he’s a legit good guy and nice to everyone on set. Does a lot of people behind the scenes. Also said you can make fun at his shtick but he’s laughing all the way to the bank.
Also, his restaurant in the Cancun airport is fucking gross.

Well, apparently he's an asshole, because:

1 - Shirley said so

2 - His Times Square restaurant got a bad review in The Times

3 - He doesn't have a signature dish

You learn something new every day.

• Haha 3

I didn't watch the season of Food Network star, but half of the show is just the judges staring at the contestants and asking "what's your POV?", "what's your signature dish?", and "how does your POV tie into your signature dish?". And Guy is the only contestant from the show to ever turn into more than just cable tv show pilot episodes. His signature dishes include anything topped with donkey sauce, sushi rolls with chicken tenders wrapped in rice, trash can nachos, brisket bread, I could go on but you guys get the idea.

4 hours ago, idigTexas said:

My neck just isn't red enough to tolerate him.  

He’s from California.   I don’t think he’s a red neck at all either way

8 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

If you haven’t gotten drunk on soju, why would you have?

If he’s had Korean bbq he’s had corn cheese.  I’m gonna assume he’s had it