Flight disrupting assholes Thread of Shame.

crash_davis

26 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Believe that the airlines are not allowed to share their banned list with each other. Delta asked the DOJ to add unruly passengers to the federal no-fly list in ‘22 but I can’t find any evidence where the govt decided one way or another. I assume the feds don’t want to get involved with mixing suspected terrorists and unruly passengers on the same list.

Dumb. I get the second bolded part. I don’t get the first. Have the airlines fund and administer a separate list, but don’t say they can’t do it. 

37 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

I’ve never flown Frontier or Spirit. Are they so cheap that they’re extremely low rent?

Yes. They are known as Greyhound with wings.

They make Southwest feel down right luxurious.

Spirit has a cheap direct flight from New Orleans to Cancun.   I leave New Orleans mid morning and have lunch on Isla Mujeres.  I normally pack dry wick type clothes and swimsuits in my carry-on (in a vacuum/deflated bag.)

It makes for an easy cheap and fun four day weekend with no gouge fees. 

The in-air shenanigans have been minor, and I can put up with a whole bunch for just one hour.   The fact that you need a passport seems to be a filter that removed some of the Walmart element.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

Spirit has a cheap direct flight from New Orleans to Cancun.   I leave New Orleans mid morning and have lunch on Isla Mujeres.  I normally pack dry wick type clothes and swimsuits in my carry-on (in a vacuum/deflated bag.)

It makes for an easy cheap and fun four day weekend with no gouge fees. 

The in-air shenanigans have been minor, and I can put up with a whole bunch for just one hour.   The fact that you need a passport seems to be a filter that removed some of the Walmart element.

The majesty of air travel is over.  Welcome to the commodity market.  Every flight is a crap shoot.

Direct RT from Ft Lauderdale to LAX...  Less than $200 ... It's sooooo cheap.  Sure it's flying bus service, but it's one fucking fast bus.  Noise canceling headphones, downloaded show on Ipad, and low expectations are key.

Also the last Spirit flight I was on was 100% better than the last Jet Blue flight.  

21 minutes ago, locodos said:

The majesty of air travel is over.  Welcome to the commodity market.  Every flight is a crap shoot.

Direct RT from Ft Lauderdale to LAX...  Less than $200 ... It's sooooo cheap.  Sure it's flying bus service, but it's one fucking fast bus.  Noise canceling headphones, downloaded show on Ipad, and low expectations are key.

Also the last Spirit flight I was on was 100% better than the last Jet Blue flight.  

It also helps if you don’t have a chappelle show, “keeping it real” attitude.  If someone else is obnoxious or wants the arm rest, you need to let it go. And don’t bring your woman on these airlines if she’s the type to speak her mind to strangers, or has to be right in every discussion. In other words, don’t fly these airlines as the companion of any woman. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It also helps if you don’t have a chappelle show, “keeping it real” attitude.  If someone else is obnoxious or wants the arm rest, you need to let it go. And don’t bring your woman on these airlines if she’s the type to speak her mind to strangers, or has to be right in every discussion. In other words, don’t fly these airlines as the companion of any woman. 

I've found that just being nice to people prevents/solves almost every problem.  The wife has a high EQ and isn't into drama.  She's like a fucking wizard she'll know their dog's birthday after a quick convo.  When we travel we go on cheap DIRECT flights.  Last time we flew Spirit, we had dinner every night at Michelin stared restaurants.  Pay for what matters.  Air travel is about getting somewhere cool, not trying to look cool getting there.

Posted (edited)

Just watched the manager at IAH Centurian lounge verbally destroy some arrogant, entitled ass who was trying to big shot the check in and then got belligerent with the staff when they told him he had to do what everyone else does to get in.

breath of fresh air! 

Edited by Reagan1k
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

What is his Surly handle?

Allegedly naked passenger forces Virgin plane to turn around on flight from Perth to Melbourne

A man who allegedly ran naked down the aisle of a Virgin plane on its way from Perth to Melbourne, knocking a crew member to the floor and forcing the aircraft to turn around, has been arrested by federal police.

The Australian Federal Police (AFP) has confirmed officers responded to a request for assistance from airline staff travelling on flight VA696 from Perth to Melbourne on Monday night.

The flight took off from Perth Airport around 7:20pm local time and turned back less than an hour later due to a "disruptive passenger on board", according to a Virgin Australia statement.

"We can confirm on Monday 27 May, VA696 Perth to Melbourne, returned to Perth," the statement read.

"On arrival in Perth, the aircraft was met by the Australian Federal Police and the disruptive guest was offloaded."

It's understood staff on board responded appropriately and the plane landed safely.

"The safety of our guests and crew is our top priority and we sincerely apologise to guests impacted," Virgin Australia said.

The ABC understands nobody on board was injured during the incident, but the airline said it would not be commenting further given an investigation was underway.

Man transferred to hospital after arrest

On arrival back to Perth Airport just before 8pm local time, the man was arrested by the AFP.

An AFP spokesperson said it received the call for assistance from airline staff at Perth Airport and was prepared to respond.

"AFP officers arrested a man after he allegedly ran naked through the aircraft mid-flight and knocked a crew member to the floor," an AFP spokesperson said.

"The man was transferred to hospital for assessment, where he remains."

The AFP also said charges the man will face are yet to be finalised, but he is expected to be summonsed to appear in the Perth Magistrates Court on June 14.

The investigation into the incident remains ongoing.

On 5/23/2024 at 11:30 AM, Reagan1k said:

Just watched the manager at IAH Centurian lounge verbally destroy some arrogant, entitled ass who was trying to big shot the check in and then got belligerent with the staff when they told him he had to do what everyone else does to get in.

breath of fresh air! 

Did he try to use the black card line to cut to the front?

On 5/22/2024 at 3:43 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Pro-tip with females and flying. 

It's worth the money to up to business or first. Put her in a window seat. Use the "executive" lounge for whichever airline your flying. 

That avoid 99.9% of potential problems.

(Note - this is coming from a single man with no children. Load the trebuchets and do your damage)

On 5/23/2024 at 12:30 PM, Reagan1k said:

breath of fresh air! 

I saw a Admirals club check in woman provide a sternly worded verbal beat down to a woman trying to pass the line at DFW about a year ago...  who, it turns out, didn't even have access.

It was pretty delicious.

Words were said, no cops came. 

4 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Best I could tell he assumed he could just walk past the line and into the lounge by casually flashing his fancy platinum card to the desk associate as he walked by.  She politely invited him to join the line to check in along with everyone else and I guess that was beneath him.  He's a platinum cardholder yada yada, do you know who I am sort of shit.

Manager stepped in and told him - still very respectfully- that he had no more or no less status than anyone else who was patiently waiting in line and he was welcome to join them.  

That's when it went to shit city - he threatened to cancel his card due to lack of RESPECT.  Manager calmly said that might be the best thing as he wasn't welcome in the lounge with his attitude toward staff and the other patrons.  Manager offered a phone and even said he'll dial the number if joker wanted to call AMEX.  Dude's wife was trying to wiggle under the tiles in the floor and escape notice at this point while the manager explained the behavior wasn't acceptable or tolerated, and none of their party would be entering his lounge today.  Manager was a 100% pro.  Calm, but no bullshit and no second chances.

Hope he enjoyed his Hudson News trail mix and $6 bottle of water. 

Wish I could have seen that.  The line at IAH can get pretty long, but they process it pretty quickly.

2 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

let's be real though.

If the terminal is the 9th level of hell, then the AMEX lounge is what the 6th or 7th?  It all sucks.

I find the IAH Centurion lounge to be pretty nice as long as you can get one of the tables near the bar.  It's much nicer than the ones in DEN or DFW.

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I find the IAH Centurion lounge to be pretty nice as long as you can get one of the tables near the bar.  It's much nicer than the ones in DEN or DFW.

I'm the opposite at IAH - I hate the layout and being seated anywhere near the bar.  It's where the bar, food service door, hallway to bathroom, and food line all converge.

Impossible not to have people stepping over you, spilling shit, or bumping your table or computer.  It's way too cramped for my taste.

That's just me.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

I'm the opposite at IAH - I hate the layout and being seated anywhere near the bar.  It's where the bar, food service door, hallway to bathroom, and food line all converge.

Impossible not to have people stepping over you, spilling shit, or bumping your table or computer.  It's way too cramped for my taste.

That's just me.

You need one of the tables against the wall.  Otherwise, I agree.  I've gotten lucky the times I've been there.  You're out of the way, but 4 steps to another drink.  Sometimes they have wait staff there, too.  Not last time I was there, though.

On 5/22/2024 at 4:06 PM, locodos said:

I've found that just being nice to people prevents/solves almost every problem.  The wife has a high EQ and isn't into drama.  She's like a fucking wizard she'll know their dog's birthday after a quick convo.  When we travel we go on cheap DIRECT flights.  Last time we flew Spirit, we had dinner every night at Michelin stared restaurants.  Pay for what matters.  Air travel is about getting somewhere cool, not trying to look cool getting there.

To each their own. I want the vacation to start when I arrive at the departing airport not the arrival airport. Does that mean that I still haven’t sat in the back or even potentially fly spirit? No that still happens especially with last second trips.

i also know people that stay at cheap hotels because they state that they only are there to sleep so why overspend for the time their eyes are closed. That’s cool. For them.

• Hook 'Em 5

17 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

its exceedingly rare to find a lounge that isn't exactly this.  Mediocre buffet food, bartenders who fuck up a vodka/soda and overflowing with people.

Lounges are a step above sitting out in the fray, and getting mediocre food for free instead of paying for it. I find that the demand is so high for entrance that there is usually only 1 or 2 free seats when I enter. One leaves, one enters process.

Given the current lounge experience, I'm surprised we don't see more ultra-lounges (or whatever they would be called) that require 1st class tickets or platinum status.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Samson's Wig said:

Just double the cost to fly and relegate discount airlines to shitty airports further away from major city centers and most of these problems go away. 

So San Marcos Regional becomes a hub for Spirit?

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

To each their own. I want the vacation to start when I arrive at the departing airport not the arrival airport. Does that mean that I still haven’t sat in the back or even potentially fly spirit? No that still happens especially with last second trips.

i also know people that stay at cheap hotels because they state that they only are there to sleep so why overspend for the time their eyes are closed. That’s cool. For them.

I want inflight BJs and to fart febreeze, but that's not how the world works.  It's a fair point about wanting to maximize your enjoyment and you have to do what works for you.  If you think first class is equivalent to being on vacation, that's cool.

When traveling alone, I show up at the airport no more than an hour before the flight departs.  I like to get to the gate and walk onto the plane or as close to that as possible.  When I used to fly a lot, I had my local airport down and would frequently be one of the last to walk onto the plane.  You sit, door shuts, and the plane pushes back from the gate, you just cut 40mins off your flight time.    I'd rather miss one flight every 5 years or so than to spend hours sitting around waiting for (or on) a flight.   The wife will not tolerate playing airport chicken.

Also best money you can spend is on global entry, IMHO

15 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Just double the cost to fly and relegate discount airlines to shitty airports further away from major city centers and most of these problems go away. 

You know how to make a small fortune in the airline business?

Spoiler

start with a large fortune

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Incredulity said:

its exceedingly rare to find a lounge that isn't exactly this.  Mediocre buffet food, bartenders who fuck up a vodka/soda and overflowing with people.

It's still better than sitting on a hard chair out at the gate.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, locodos said:

I want inflight BJs and to fart febreeze, but that's not how the world works.  It's a fair point about wanting to maximize your enjoyment and you have to do what works for you.  If you think first class is equivalent to being on vacation, that's cool.

When traveling alone, I show up at the airport no more than an hour before the flight departs.  I like to get to the gate and walk onto the plane or as close to that as possible.  When I used to fly a lot, I had my local airport down and would frequently be one of the last to walk onto the plane.  You sit, door shuts, and the plane pushes back from the gate, you just cut 40mins off your flight time.    I'd rather miss one flight every 5 years or so than to spend hours sitting around waiting for (or on) a flight.   The wife will not tolerate playing airport chicken.

Also best money you can spend is on global entry, IMHO

You know how to make a small fortune in the airline business?

Reveal hidden contents

Sitting up front is far more enjoyable and comfortable than sitting in the back.  And on international business, it can be a fun experience with legitimately good food, depending on the airline.

As for the lounges, I only use them when I'm on a layover (which is never when flying domestic) or my flight is delayed.  But lately every fucking time I fly to DFW or IAH I get delayed on the way home.  Usually by 3-4 hours.  So in that case the lounge is great.  And fully agree on Global Entry.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I like to sit with the common folk, creep on the ladies, and pay for overpriced drinks at the airport bar at times. Some of them are pretty nice.

Edited by mycox
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Global Entry is great, although, like TSA precheck, the more people get it, the less useful it becomes.  None of it can overcome how shitty your airport experience is if you live in Austin and fly in and out of ABIA frequently, though.  I fly a lot, and it may be the worst operated airport in the U.S.  I can't claim to have been in all of them, or else I would state it definitively. 

Edited by Samson's Wig

5 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

Global Entry is great, although, like TSA precheck, the more people get it, the less useful it becomes.  None of it can overcome how shitty your airport experience is if you live in Austin and fly in and out of ABIA frequently, though.  I fly a lot, and it may be the worst operated airport in the U.S.  I can't claim to have been in all of them, or else I would state it definitively. 

I don’t know about operated but the Charlotte airport is a shithole 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

I don’t fly a ton like some, but it’s rare that I’m not at ABIA at least once a month. For example I have 4 flights planned each of the next 4 months. I’m TSA pre check and haven’t had any bad experiences. What shitty experience are you referring to?

The worst part about ABIA is that there are no trams or belts to get from once side to another, but since it’s not really a hub I don’t consider that a major negative (just annoying when I want food from Huts but I’m at gate 30).

8 hours ago, locodos said:

.  If you think first class is equivalent to being on vacation, that's cool.

Reveal hidden contents

Who pissed in your cereal today? I wasn’t attacking you for your travel style but you decided to be a dick back at me.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

I don’t fly a ton like some, but it’s rare that I’m not at ABIA at least once a month. For example I have 4 flights planned each of the next 4 months. I’m TSA pre check and haven’t had any bad experiences. What shitty experience are you referring to?

The worst part about ABIA is that there are no trams or belts to get from once side to another, but since it’s not really a hub I don’t consider that a major negative (just annoying when I want food from Huts but I’m at gate 30).

The thing I always notice about ABIA is that the CLEAR lines are way longer and slower than TSA Pre.  My wife and I flew out of ABIA two weekends ago and she insisted on using the CLEAR line.  I got through the TSA Pre line in about 5 minutes.  Literally took her 20 minutes for CLEAR.  It always seems to be like that at ABIA, though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Flying BA First for my next trip to London.  The Concord Room at LHR is legit. Interested in the Chelsea Lounge in terminal 8.  Will be my first visit.

Isn’t the Chelsea Lounge just the rebranded Flagship Lounge? Or am I mistaken?

2 hours ago, field said:

The thing I always notice about ABIA is that the CLEAR lines are way longer and slower than TSA Pre.  My wife and I flew out of ABIA two weekends ago and she insisted on using the CLEAR line.  I got through the TSA Pre line in about 5 minutes.  Literally took her 20 minutes for CLEAR.  It always seems to be like that at ABIA, though. 

I always thought CLEAR was for people too lazy to go through the TSA precheck process. You are already Pre Check and you pay for Clear?

I like how Austin separated the Pre check line from the regular lines make getting through security much faster.

58 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

I always thought CLEAR was for people too lazy to go through the TSA precheck process. You are already Pre Check and you pay for Clear?

I like how Austin separated the Pre check line from the regular lines make getting through security much faster.

You can have both. In airports where it works correctly, of which Austin is the only one I’ve been through where it doesn’t, those with CLEAR and Pre skip to the front of the Pre line after they’ve verified their biometrics.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, royiv said:

Isn’t the Chelsea Lounge just the rebranded Flagship Lounge? Or am I mistaken?

So, they expanded to three lounges.  There is Greenwich, Soho, and Chelsea.  Greenwich is the old Admiral's lounge, Soho, is I think the old Flagship lounge, and Chelsea is the first class lounge. They did reconfigure and rebuild them all. I go into Soho all the time given my status, but will be interested to see Chelsea.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

It’s a bit redundant but with both you can look to see how the precheck line is moving before deciding which line to go through.  You basically get to cut the precheck line but the overall speed depends entirely how many CLEAR agents are there.  I only have CLEAR because it was a free perk with my credit card. Not sure I would recommend it to someone who had to pay.

6 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

I've had both for years. The combination of clear and pre-check used to provide the fastest path through security, but these days clear is normally slower than just going through pre-check, especially at ABIA. 

Yeah, what the fuck with ABIA lately?  I have a Global Entry card and it seems to be largely worthless.  I also have a GS-8 clearance from the DOE but was instructed to not use it to skip lines at the airport, but I'm real fucking tempted.  I had to renew my driver's license yesterday in person for the first time in a decade and presented my U.S. Passport, my old TXDL, my Global Entry card, and my GS-8 card and the clerk was still asking her supervisor, "Well, he doesn't have his birth certificate so how I proceed?" 

Fucking TSA and DPS got together a few months ago and apparently figured out a collaboration to bring everything to an ass-grinding halt in the name of I don't fucking know what.  I realize these people wanna look busy and book some overtime, but at some point don't have some self-respect and just want to finish their jobs?  

42 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Fucking TSA and DPS got together a few months ago and apparently figured out a collaboration to bring everything to an ass-grinding halt in the name of I don't fucking know what.  I realize these people wanna look busy and book some overtime, but at some point don't have some self-respect and just want to finish their jobs?  

No.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

You've been very lucky, I guess.   Once you're inside the airport, things are generally fine, notwithstanding some of the things already mentioned regarding the way TSA handles pre-check and CLEAR that you don't see at any other decent airport.  It's the dumbasses who wildly overbook flights well beyond the capacity of our system that are the problem (hint - it's operated by the city).  Arrivals and Departure lanes are some of the most fucked up bits of civil engineering I've ever seen, as are the parking lots/garages and ride-share setups.  It's a complete clusterfuck getting in and out of there by vehicle.  Baggage claim, for those crazy enough to check a bag, is completely fucked as well, often with five different giant flights all being piled onto a single baggage claim, where everyone ends up waiting twice as long for their bags compared to seemingly every airport on earth, including those in central and south America.  When the people making decisions on capacity are the same folks concerned about driving tourist dollars to town, you're going to get some seriously fucked up managerial decisions.  The folks abandoning rental cars for miles along the highway during SXSW is a prime example of this type of mismanagement. The same issue is what led to the near runway crash a few years back. We fly way too many planes in and out each day for the size of airport and surrounding infrastructure we have.  The worst part of the airport, in my opinion, is the arrivals lane.  At most times of day you will sit your ass in the most convoluted and long ass line for no good reason other than what I assume is aggie engineering combined with Austin local government planning, even when the airport isn't particularly busy.  There are ways around it, but the fact it's an issue in the first place is pathetic.  It's a completely dysfunctional mess.

Our airport is relatively attractive on the inside, and I appreciate the use of local art and businesses.  But that's about the only thing they've done right.  It's not dissimilar from our city government's decisions to spend money on bike lanes and local art installations instead of basic infrastructure.  So the airport at least matches the city in this regard, I guess.

Here's a list of airports owned and operated by municipalities in the U.S.  Some are better than others, but the difference is rather stark, IMO, when compared to airports owned and operated by an airport authority model (where an independent, i.e. private, body manages the airport on behalf of the municipality).  With these airports, you're at the mercy of how good the city management is, so it varies wildly.

Municipal (City/County) Government Department

ABQ -- Albuquerque International Sunport
ATL -- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport
AUS -- Austin-Bergstrom International Airport
CLE -- Cleveland-Hopkins International Airport
CLT -- Charlotte Douglas International Airport
DEN -- Denver International Airport
IAH -- George Bush Intercontinental Airport
LAS -- Las Vegas McCarran International Airport
LAX -- Los Angeles International Airport

(LAWA)L45 — Bakersfield Municpal Airport (L45)
OMA -- Eppley Airfield
ONT -- Los Angeles/Ontario International Airport (LAWA)
MCI -- Kansas City International Airport
MDW -- Chicago Midway International Airport (CDA)
MIA -- Miami International Airport (MDAD)
MSY -- Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport
OAK -- Oakland International Airport
ORD -- Chicago O'Hare International Airport (CDA)
PHL -- Philadelphia International Airport
PHX -- Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport
SFO -- San Francisco International Airport
SJC -- Norman Y. Mineta San José International Airport
SLC -- Salt Lake City International Airport
SMF -- Sacramento International Airport
STL -- Lambert-St. Louis International Airport

23 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

You've been very lucky, I guess.   Once you're inside the airport, things are generally fine, notwithstanding some of the things already mentioned regarding the way TSA handles pre-check and CLEAR that you don't see at any other decent airport.  It's the dumbasses who wildly overbook flights well beyond the capacity of our system that are the problem (hint - it's operated by the city).  Arrivals and Departure lanes are some of the most fucked up bits of civil engineering I've ever seen, as are the parking lots/garages and ride-share setups.  It's a complete clusterfuck getting in and out of there by vehicle.  Baggage claim, for those crazy enough to check a bag, is completely fucked as well, often with five different giant flights all being piled onto a single baggage claim, where everyone ends up waiting twice as long for their bags compared to seemingly every airport on earth, including those in central and south America.  When the people making decisions on capacity are the same folks concerned about driving tourist dollars to town, you're going to get some seriously fucked up managerial decisions.  The folks abandoning rental cars for miles along the highway during SXSW is a prime example of this type of mismanagement. The same issue is what led to the near runway crash a few years back. We fly way too many planes in and out each day for the size of airport and surrounding infrastructure we have.  The worst part of the airport, in my opinion, is the arrivals lane.  At most times of day you will sit your ass in the most convoluted and long ass line for no good reason other than what I assume is aggie engineering combined with Austin local government planning, even when the airport isn't particularly busy.  There are ways around it, but the fact it's an issue in the first place is pathetic.  It's a completely dysfunctional mess.

Our airport is relatively attractive on the inside, and I appreciate the use of local art and businesses.  But that's about the only thing they've done right.  It's not dissimilar from our city government's decisions to spend money on bike lanes and local art installations instead of basic infrastructure.  So the airport at least matches the city in this regard, I guess.

Here's a list of airports owned and operated by municipalities in the U.S.  Some are better than others, but the difference is rather stark, IMO, when compared to airports owned and operated by an airport authority model (where an independent, i.e. private, body manages the airport on behalf of the municipality).  With these airports, you're at the mercy of how good the city management is, so it varies wildly.

Municipal (City/County) Government Department

ABQ -- Albuquerque International Sunport
ATL -- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport
AUS -- Austin-Bergstrom International Airport
CLE -- Cleveland-Hopkins International Airport
CLT -- Charlotte Douglas International Airport
DEN -- Denver International Airport
IAH -- George Bush Intercontinental Airport
LAS -- Las Vegas McCarran International Airport
LAX -- Los Angeles International Airport

(LAWA)L45 — Bakersfield Municpal Airport (L45)
OMA -- Eppley Airfield
ONT -- Los Angeles/Ontario International Airport (LAWA)
MCI -- Kansas City International Airport
MDW -- Chicago Midway International Airport (CDA)
MIA -- Miami International Airport (MDAD)
MSY -- Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport
OAK -- Oakland International Airport
ORD -- Chicago O'Hare International Airport (CDA)
PHL -- Philadelphia International Airport
PHX -- Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport
SFO -- San Francisco International Airport
SJC -- Norman Y. Mineta San José International Airport
SLC -- Salt Lake City International Airport
SMF -- Sacramento International Airport
STL -- Lambert-St. Louis International Airport

I’ll give you the arrivals and departures lanes those are shit shows. Also the passive aggressive bullshit from having ride share customers having to cross the departure lanes, go through an entire parking garage, up a level, and then across another lane to get to your ride share is idiotic.

But to me that’s the worse part of the airport. There are other things that are less than ideal but ultimately I’d rather fly out of ABIA than DFW like I had to a decade ago…

Having lived in Chicago and Sacramento, I can say that Midway and SMF were pretty well done.  I used to fly through Denver about every two weeks for several years, and for its volume, also pretty well done.  

I have not been through MCI for a few years since they 're-did' it.  But we used to through there to visit wife's family.  That old one took the fucking cake for worst fucking design/layout in aviation history.  It was like an engineer on LSD drew it up and submitted it as a joke and the municipal heads just thought, "Okay, well this checks out.  We can break ground tomorrow."  

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, field said:

Clear is doing some ID upgrades when you check in now for security at their kiosks so the line is moving slower than normal to get escorted up.  More time per person per kiosk adds up when the workers have to go through the extra steps before they can walk you up.  Once they finish this or when the majority of fliers have done the extra steps once, it should smooth out.

Having both Pre and Clear give you a little flexibility that's very much worth it at certain times.  Especially if TSA is understaffed (gasp - how could that be) and the Pre line is backed up.  Clear obviously takes you to the front of the line and bypasses the snaking ropes.

However, if the Pre line is very short, it's a toss-up and Pre can be quicker if you can walk right up to to the TSA booth for the ID check instead of having to duck and dodge at the booth to get your eyes in the right spot for Clear to find you.

I view Pre as a necessity and Clear as an insurance policy or add-on.

Edited to say I can't speak to ABIA specifically, but Clear in general has been slowed for a while now for this reason.

Edited by Reagan1k

On 5/30/2024 at 9:50 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Who pissed in your cereal today? I wasn’t attacking you for your travel style but you decided to be a dick back at me.

Hey,

That's not how I meant it.  I thought the point that you were making is that flying can be made nice enough to consider it a meaningful part of your vacation.   

My point was that, in my opinion,  unless you're flying private, no amount of status or upgrades can elevate the current commercial airline experience to being on vacation for me.  If it works for you, that's great.   I only look to minimize the time in the airport (just in time arrival and known traveler status) and time on the plane (direct flights).

I'll also try to sit in front of the wing on an aisle and usually do.