2021 Fall Camp Thread - Bend Over & I’ll Continue Showing You

BurntOrange&White

2 hours ago, Snacks said:

There are ways to keep DL1 from smashing up OL1 and keeping the entire offense from learning...  If OL1 is getting smashed by DL2, we haz the doom.

Sure, but it ain't like the guys on 2nd team aren't freak athletes too though.  Team 1 has some nasty motherfuckers on the DLine and a freak at LB.  I wish they would spin down Owens to be honest.  He looks like he ate himself out of the safety position and looks plenty big to play LB.

3 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

Chip On Hudson:

“… getting a bunch of reps with the first team for a second straight practice. We will ask Sark about that after practice” 

He's going to be in deep trouble if Casey transfers because his dad was always a big source for Chip to get team info for.

4 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

Chip On Hudson:

“… getting a bunch of reps with the first team for a second straight practice. We will ask Sark about that after practice” 

Like why ask? It’s quite obvious. 

also lol from his earlier comments how he was told from his sources Thompson would get the reps with 1s today 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

If Casey transfers before the season we will be in trouble for sure. 

Oh well. You don't make decisions on who starts based on who might have to go in the game if the backup transfers and the starter gets hurt. This isn't pee wee football. It sucks Texas could be left with an inexperienced backup but this program has had way too many instances of inferior guys starting at positions because of seniority. The best players play. Period.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Oh well. You don't make decisions on who starts based on who might have to go in the game if the backup transfers and the starter gets hurt. This isn't pee wee football. It sucks Texas could be left with an inexperienced backup but this program has had way too many instances of inferior guys starting at positions because of seniority. The best players play. Period.

Totally agree. I still don’t think anyone transfers before January though. 

7 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Clearly it wouldn’t be ideal but with depth at RB, we could use RoJo as an emergency QB if the situation called for it. He was initially recruited as a QB after all

20 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

He won't. He knows there's a good chance he'll get his shot as Card is unproven and the line probably isn't the best. If he doesn't get his shot and Card does well he'll then transfer immediately after the season. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Calm your tits. No one is disrespecting Casey. Whoever wins the job needs to show out over a longer time horizon than one half of one game. I’m optimistic about the position because he showed he could play well but that’s not what is ultimately going to decide who is the starter. 

I am calm but looking at your previous few posts, you were constantly putting Casey down and saying things like he hasn't shown anything on the field. That just is not true. He had a terrific bowl game and had a decent scrimmage until he threw the pick. Some guys just show up when it matters the most. I think based on his bowl game performance, he deserves to start unless he has been performing way worse than Card in the scrimmages. 

The problem with having a local product as one of our QBs is that a certain section of our fans would always prefer him over the other guy regardless of their performance. Same thing happened with Sam, and I am afraid it's already starting to happen with Card. This type of attitude will keep the out-of-state kids away from Texas.

Let Casey start and keep him in a short leash. If he doesn't perform, then you have a legitimate excuse to replace him with Card and nobody can say we give local kids preference. Unless of course Sark sees Card as the future and thinks he is ready.

8 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

I am calm but looking at your previous few posts, you were constantly putting Casey down and saying things like he hasn't shown anything on the field. That just is not true. He had a terrific bowl game and had a decent scrimmage until he threw the pick. Some guys just show up when it matters the most. I think based on his bowl game performance, he deserves to start unless he has been performing way worse than Card in the scrimmages. 

The problem with having a local product as one of our QBs is that a certain section of our fans would always prefer him over the other guy regardless of their performance. Same thing happened with Sam, and I am afraid it's already starting to happen with Card. This type of attitude will keep the out-of-state kids away from Texas.

Let Casey start and keep him in a short leash. If he doesn't perform, then you have a legitimate excuse to replace him with Card and nobody can say we give local kids preference. Unless of course Sark sees Card as the future and thinks he is ready.

The GG apologists were nauseating.  Barf!

• Hook 'Em 1

AUSTIN, Texas — Horns247 was able to get a glimpse of the Longhorns’ practice Tuesday afternoon for a brief media viewing window at Frank Denius Fields. Here are some key notes we gathered from the media’s open practice window.
— For the second straight day, redshirt freshman QB Hudson Card got all of the reps with the first-team offense Tuesday afternoon, while redshirt junior Casey Thompson ran with the second-team offense.
— Card had some decent throws in 11-on-11 against the first-team defense. His receivers lining up with him were Jordan Whittington, Joshua Moore and Xavier Worthy.
— Card had a couple of completions in 11-on-11, including one to Moore and one to Worthy.
— Thompson did not have as good of a showing in 11-on-11 with the twos.
— Thompson’s receivers were Al'Vonte Woodard, Troy Omeire and Kai Money. Thompson’s only completed pass was to Money.
— A few of the less than ideal notes on the second-string offense started with a fumble when Thompson attempted to hand off the ball to Roschon Johnson early on. Thompson also he took a sack in 11-on-11 and threw an interception that was picked off by Darion Dunn.
I caught some of the RB pass-catching drills and the only guy who I didn’t see have a drop was Bijan Robinson. Both Roschon Johnson and Keilan Robinson had a few dropped passes.
— A bit of a random nugget, but Steve Sarkisian went out of his way to commend Jared Wiley while on kick return after he made a block that opened a hole for D’Shawn Jamison.
— There were a handful of NFL teams in attendance. We couldn’t get a really solid count, but it looked like anywhere between 9-12 NFL execs were at Tuesday’s practice.

Casey is blowing it.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Joe cook

Most of the Texas practice viewing sessions open to the media have not featured many opportunities to see the Longhorns line up in 11-on-11 situations. That changed on Tuesday, when Longhorns head coach Steve Sarkisian gave the first-team offense and defense one opportunity versus each other, followed by the second-team offense and defense.

The Longhorns were in helmets and shoulder pads only, so defenders only wrapped up or bumped a ball-carrier and did not tackle to the ground. Still, it provided a hint at the depth chart less than three weeks away from Texas' season opener.

-The first quarterback? Hudson Card, who took the backfield with Bijan Robinson at running back. The second quarterback was Casey Thompson, who was joined by Roschon Johnson in the backfield.

-The first offensive line for the drill was (L-R) Christian Jones, Denzel Okafor, Jake Majors, Tope Imade, and Derek Kerstetter. The second line was Isaiah Hookfin (no longer in a boot), Tyler Johnson, Junior Angilau, Hayden Conner, and Andrej Karic. In recent viewing sessions, Angilau had been a first-string guard so his responsibilities as second center may be why he snapped the ball for the second offense.

-At receiver, Jordan Whittington and Joshua Moore were the first outside receivers with Xavier Worthy playing slot. The second group was Al'vonte Woodard and Troy Omeire on the outside with Kai Money at slot. Jared Wiley took the first tight end snaps, with Gunnar Helm taking second snaps. Later on during individual drills, Cade Brewer was the first tight end, followed by Wiley. If they substituted during the 11-on-11 sequence, which they could have done, I missed it while looking through binoculars.

-There had to be defenders for there to be "thud" tempo. The first-team line included Ray Thornton at XLB, Jacoby Jones at Jack, and Moro Ojomo and Keondre Coburn on the interior. They were backed by DeMarvion Overshown and Luke Brockermeyer at linebacker.

-D'Shawn Jamison and Josh Thompson manned the corner spots, with Thompson on the boundary. The deep safety duo was Brenden Schooler and BJ Foster with Anthony Cook playing nickel.

-The defense that faced Thompson had Tyler Owens at one safety spot and Chris Adimora at the other, with Jerrin Thompson playing nickel. Jaylan Ford manned one of the linebacker spots, and I couldn't ascertain who the other 'backer was.

-Ben Davis was at Jack with Ovie Oghoufo at XLB. Darion Dunn played one corner spot and Jahdae Barron played the other. Vernon Broughton was at tackle with T'Vondre Sweat playing nose. They were subbed out at one point for Sawyer Goram-Welch and Byron Murphy.

-The two deep men for kickoff return drills were Roschon Johnson and D'Shawn Jamison. Jordan Whittington, Jonathon Brooks, Keilan Robinson, and Xavier Worthy also repped at kickoff return.

-When the defensive tackle group was working with Bo Davis, there was a notable figure missing from DT drills in Alfred Collins. Collins was still present on Tuesday, as he was practicing with the other edge players during individual drills.

-The order at running back appears unchanged: Bijan Robinson, Roschon Johnson, Keilan Robinson, Jonathon Brooks, Daniel Young, Gabriel Watson, Jarrett Smith, Anton Simieou. The backs worked on running routes while split out wide for part of the viewing session.

-Brayden Liebrock was not active with the tight ends during practice.

-DaJon Harrison remains in his green "no-touch" jersey but continues to practice.

-Before the media session was over, offensive skill players worked on several different catch scenarios, including deep balls from the JUGS machine, deep balls from quarterbacks, and short passes from position coaches.

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

The game is populated with a ton of guys who look mediocre in practice then step up when the games come. I think Thompson will and should get his chance to show if he's that. I would be shocked if both guys aren't getting game reps before OU

How about we let the proven QB coach/OC/Head coach make the decision on who gets their chance?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

That’s unfortunate news on Casey. Its also surprising. Hudson must have had a hell of a summer. Casey may just not be a great fit or something. Does our season outlook change with a redshirt freshman? 

He literally throws interceptions and that’s not going over well it seems

Edited by BurntOrange&White

9 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

That’s unfortunate news on Casey. Its also surprising. Hudson must have had a hell of a summer. Casey may just not be a great fit or something. Does our season outlook change with a redshirt freshman? 

Yes we go from 10 wins to 11.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

The game is populated with a ton of guys who look mediocre in practice then step up when the games come. I think Thompson will and should get his chance to show if he's that. I would be shocked if both guys aren't getting game reps before OU

Hell yeah, let’s go ahead and give Wright and Lourd snaps too just in case they’re good in games 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, cdain3 said:

WTH is going on with Alfred Collins?

Ojomo has been balling out, so he’s behind him. Ojomo was probably the best player on the team in the spring game 

All four of Coburn, Sweat, Ojomo, and Collins will play a lot 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2