2021 Fall Camp Thread - Bend Over & I’ll Continue Showing You

BurntOrange&White

10 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Doesn't matter how open you are if you can't catch the ball. The WR group is comprised of dudes with butter fingers and long history of injury issues. 

And it doesn't matter if you're not in the correct spot. Adding another guy who can't do each of get open, get to the correct spot at the correct moment, and catch the ball at a high clip to the room doesn't solve anything

How about we keep him at RB where a 21 personnel package adds another facet to the offense?  

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

When this dude is finally old enough to vote he's going to be unstoppable.  Really good to hear that he's tearing it up in practice/scrimmage.  Love it that we have an interior guy with the speed to rush upfield and disrupt pass play from the inside.

Don't get ahead of yourself. He's only 16, so he's just starting to grow.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Stinkpalm said:

Not ideal. If our white QB throws to our white TEs instead of our black WRs, people are going to say we’re racist.

Damn… a lot of y’all didn’t get my tongue-in-cheek joke directed at Sal for his earlier comment about the racist optics of choosing a white QB at the end of a QB competition 🙄

4 hours ago, Burntcowboy said:

Now do just the football team, Chris. 

1 hour ago, lazygringo said:

I'm baffled at how these WRs are suddenly not good enough. Omeire was supposed to be a breakout player. Moore was the next Devonta Smith. I'm thinking they're absorbing some of the blame for the QBs not slinging the rock very well.

No one ever fucking said that, ever, you lazy white fuck. 

• Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Stinkpalm said:

Damn… a lot of y’all didn’t get my tongue-in-cheek joke directed at Sal for his earlier comment about the racist optics of choosing a white QB at the end of a QB competition 🙄

Yeah, when a whole crowd doesn't get your unfunny joke, clearly it's on all of them and not the guy telling the joke. You probably inexplicably run into assholes all day every day as well. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Between Moore/Whitt/Worthy/Dixon (when is he back)/Troy we should have the talent to be effective at WR. If they don't get the job done I'm placing the blame squarely on Coleman and by extension Sark, I really don't understand that hire considering the WR performance last season and the available options.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Catch up -- Jake Smith out again right now at USC with broken foot issues so not a loss at WR.  

giphy.gif

I already knew that. I don't know what Sark's opinion was on Smith. I thought as a freshman he showed good hands and good quickness and speed. His freshman-self could have helped our team this year. But you are probably right in that he would have probably come back to practice at UT too soon if he would have stayed and gotten re-injured just like what happened to him at USC. Still, there were a lot of good options in the portal that we either didn't pursue or did a crap job pursuing.

Y’all gotta think opposite of the practice reports from the damn 9.95ers.  Most haven’t been right about fucking anything since Sark arrived.  

We’re gonna run the fuck out of the ball like Sark always has, whoever starts at QB will be asked to protect the ball and make about 10-15 solid throws a game. He’ll put Moore, Whit, Dixon, Worthy in positions to get catches and yards after the catch. Wiley and Sanders/Davis will get some looks at the TE spot and we’ll have a top 15 D that will mask stretches of bad O.  

My prediction has been 10-3 with a bowl win.  4-0 into OU, losses to OU, ISU and someone we should beat (OSU?).  9-3 with a win in the Alamo bowl or something like that and a solid class rolling into the SEC in 22’ 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, kevwun said:

If you think Jake Smith had good hands, you should get your vision checked.

Tell me how many catchable passes he dropped as a freshman. Tell me why that would get worse over time. There is only one reason - confidence. That is generally due to the offensive philosophy (route tree) and coach/player interaction. Catching the ball in space is a whole lot more fun than a slant across the middle.

Edited by Bevo

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

For the first time since I can remember following Texas football, I think we are getting reverse kool-aided. Do we have the depth we want at receiver? No. But these guys act like we have some plodders running around on the outside with cement shoes. Worthy and K. Robinson are 4.3 guys, Whittington, Dixon, and Moore are 4.4-4.5 guys. The main issues I can derive about our receivers (outside of the dropsies of late and Dixon's injury) is that they aren't winning 1 on 1 battles, but that really only applies to man coverage. And man coverage can be schemed open to a large degree with motions, formations, and play action, Sark's specialty. We also happen to have some really good corners that these guys are going against. This offense may not be as explosive as what Sark worked with at Bama for the last few years, but by no means should we be turtling up before the first fucking game. 40 carries and 40 passes per game should be the formula for this season, and the distribution of those touches in the passing game will likely have heavier tight end and RB involvement than in years past.  

Yeah, I agree. I also wonder if Sark is learning from the mistakes of his predecessors and just sandbagging expectations going into the season. Considering outlooks were sky high when he was hired, it would make sense from his perspective to ease the fanbase into a more conservative set of expectations and then outperform. It’s management 101. Drop the bar -> crush new lower expectation -> profit.

To your point, Sark is really good at scheming guys open. Furthermore, there was always going to be an adjustment period for learning the new offense/getting used to 95% of routes expecting receivers catching at full speed but I would think it’s dumb on our part to assume there isn’t eventual improvement up the learning curve.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Tell me how many catchable passes he dropped as a freshman. Tell me why that would get worse over time. There is only one reason - confidence. That is generally due to the offensive philosophy (route tree) and coach/player interaction. Catching the ball in space is a whole lot more fun than a slant across the middle.

Smith played more RB than WR in HS and also played lacrosse full time, so he didn’t do a ton of 7v7 or camps. His hands were always a question mark as a prospect and he tended to let the ball come into his body and cradle it, instead of extending his hands and catching it away from his body, including during his freshman year at UT. That’s poor technique common for a guy who’s not used to playing the position full time and leads to drops. So there’s really no reason to believe he ever had good hands. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

Which is actually a little weird - Pete Carroll popularized it at Seattle. 
Doesnt matter, he's an offensive coach and hired one of the best DC's to direct the Defense. Even if he has heard of it, he's trying to distance himself from any comparisons to turtle ball.

1 hour ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Y’all gotta think opposite of the practice reports from the damn 9.95ers.  Most haven’t been right about fucking anything since Sark arrived.  

We’re gonna run the fuck out of the ball like Sark always has, whoever starts at QB will be asked to protect the ball and make about 10-15 solid throws a game. He’ll put Moore, Whit, Dixon, Worthy in positions to get catches and yards after the catch. Wiley and Sanders/Davis will get some looks at the TE spot and we’ll have a top 15 D that will mask stretches of bad O.  

My prediction has been 10-3 with a bowl win.  4-0 into OU, losses to OU, ISU and someone we should beat (OSU?).  9-3 with a win in the Alamo bowl or something like that and a solid class rolling into the SEC in 22’ 

To be clear, you think we'll throw the ball 10-15 times a game? And you're positioning yourself as being smarter than "damn 9.95ers"?

43 minutes ago, Fud said:

To be clear, you think we'll throw the ball 10-15 times a game? And you're positioning yourself as being smarter than "damn 9.95ers"?

I’m not saying we’re going to throw it 10-15 times a game.  I’m saying that whatever QB starts will be asked to hit 10-15 throws a game.  There will be shots taken downfield that are 50/50 hit miss balls, but those don’t hit every time.  But it’s also not going to surprise me if we have a stat like that looks something to the tune of 15/28 225 and a TD from a QB with Bijan/RJ/K Rob racking up 45-50 carries. 

• Hook 'Em 1

For the first time since I can remember following Texas football, I think we are getting reverse kool-aided. Do we have the depth we want at receiver? No. But these guys act like we have some plodders running around on the outside with cement shoes. Worthy and K. Robinson are 4.3 guys, Whittington, Dixon, and Moore are 4.4-4.5 guys. The main issues I can derive about our receivers (outside of the dropsies of late and Dixon's injury) is that they aren't winning 1 on 1 battles, but that really only applies to man coverage. And man coverage can be schemed open to a large degree with motions, formations, and play action, Sark's specialty. We also happen to have some really good corners that these guys are going against. This offense may not be as explosive as what Sark worked with at Bama for the last few years, but by no means should we be turtling up before the first fucking game. 40 carries and 40 passes per game should be the formula for this season, and the distribution of those touches in the passing game will likely have heavier tight end and RB involvement than in years past.  

They’re not plodders…

• Like 1