2021 Fall Camp Thread - Bend Over & I’ll Continue Showing You

BurntOrange&White

I went to the practice.  You obviously can't tell much, but it is always good to watch the QB's. I didn't watch every practice snap from Thompson and Card, but did see quite a bit from both.  Card's ball looks better than Thompson's, for the most part.  He's more accurate, it's a tighter spiral, and his throwing motion looks more polished. At times he seemed to throw harder too, although Thompson had fastballs too at time.  

Edit: oh, and I didn't realize Brooks was so much bigger looking than Robinson. 

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I went to the practice.  You obviously can't tell much, but it is always good to watch the QB's. I didn't watch every practice snap from Thompson and Card, but did see quite a bit from both.  Card's ball looks better than Thompson's, for the most part.  He's more accurate, it's a tighter spiral, and his throwing motion looks more polished. At times he seemed to throw harder too, although Thompson had fastballs too at time.  

IMO Thompson has to try and sling it with velocity. 

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Brooks is bigger than Bijan?

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Did Brooks put on a shit ton of weight over the summer?  They're listed at the same height and Bijan is listed 15 pounds heavier.

39 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Not blitzing from deep enough, he needs to back up at least 5 more yards before deciding to make a run at the QB. /Orlando probably 

That was an Orlando special the play was already broken down by the time 0 came screaming in on the delayed blitz. Couldn't tell who was on the edge but Kerstetter got smoked

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Did Brooks put on a shit ton of weight over the summer?  They're listed at the same height and Bijan is listed 15 pounds heavier.

Yes, I heard he’s put on close to 15 since last fall and it’s good weight.  He can still be growing too.  

5 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Wonder if they're trying to build him into a fullback like Cody Johnson for those 3rd and 1 plays

No,  he’s not a fullback.  He has way too good of vision and cuts for that and he’s not slow.  I think he’s young, still growing some and probably didn’t lift anywhere close to like he has since getting to Austin.  

Edited by Hook1997

1 hour ago, ElChupacabra said:

Can we all chip in to get whoever is filming these clips a phone with a half-ass decent camera? These clips look like they're filmed on a TI-89.

It’s me. The wifi at the stadium fucking sucked. Also Twitter is compressing it to hell

Edited by OnAComputer
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

And I have a good buddy who played and coached with Major who loves the guy. Says he would fit right in here.

Of course, the whole fat trainer thing, but...yeah, he would fit right in here.

He and Vic would hit it off.

5 hours ago, RollLeft said:

He and Vic would hit it off.

...jinx

3 hours ago, Sal said:

It's refreshing listening to PK and Flood talk football with some intelligence in contrast to the ignoramuses of the last regime. 

You mean the last two-and-a-half regimes.

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

54 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Hookfin looks pretty good in those clips, but I don’t think we’ll be expecting much out of Davis in the pass rush. No explosion and he has no real plan for his pass rush. I hope we get to see some of Ovie in 1 on 1s. He’s got the highest ceiling of the edge transfers we took. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 5:02 PM, Newy25 said:

If Casey transfers before the season we will be in trouble for sure. 

So will Casey. He would have to sit out unless he transfers down to FCS or below. The deadline has passed to get immediate eligibility. So he wouldn't play, but would still have 2 years left because of the Covid RS.

Edited by HtownHorn

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

So will Casey. He would have to sit out unless he transfers down to FCS or below. The deadline has passed to get immediate eligibility. So he wouldn't play, but would still have 2 years left because of the Covid RS.

Wrong as usual. Grad transfers don’t have to sit. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 2

Was at the practice. Card will start, our receivers are bad, Defense will carry us and our stable of backs will score. I was legitimately impressed with Bijan and Roschon all night. I think it'll take a few games of us running opponents over on the ground before they sell out against the run and our passing game starts to open up.

Edited by BornAndRaised
  • Hook 'Em 6

4 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Was at the game. Hudson will start, our receivers are bad, Defense will carry us and our stable of backs will score. I was legitimately impressed with Bijan and Roschon all night. I think it'll take a few games of us running opponents over on the ground before they sell out against the run and our passing game starts to open up.

Lucky for us, ULL and Arky both had very poor run defenses last year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Hookfin looks pretty good in those clips, but I don’t think we’ll be expecting much out of Davis in the pass rush. No explosion and he has no real plan for his pass rush. I hope we get to see some of Ovie in 1 on 1s. He’s got the highest ceiling of the edge transfers we took. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The OL is really the key to this team's success this year. If they can open up even small running lanes, our RBs will take full advantage and have big runs. If not, it will shift to an inexperienced QB and a stable of shitty receivers to win games. Even good TEs could really help a lot. Hoping that something clicks for our passing game before Big 12 play begins, because I think we can rely on the run game for our first three games. Here's hoping the OL can create those running lanes and give the new QB some time to read progressions. 

Edited by honolulu horn
  • Like 1

Is there only 1 scrimmage remaining or two?

I think I recall Sarkisian saying he wanted to start preparing for Louisiana 2 weeks prior to the game so that would essentially mean this coming Monday, correct? If so, I think you'd want to have a starter chosen by then that way you have two weeks for the QB and receivers to gel with one another and hopefully some of these drop issues go away.

17 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Whoever Paul Waddlington is on IT

Lots of reports swirling around, but this was provided to me by a friend with excellent football knowledge and a discerning eye. He agreed to let me share it with the board.

Here it is: 

My random thoughts / notes 

Best five on oline might be: Jones, Okafor, Angilau, Conner, Kerstetter

We look a lot better run blocking to the right. Jones does a pretty good job with positioning but doesn’t look particularly comfortable as a run blocker so we are much better with him cutting off on the backside of the play than being at the point of attack.

Kerstetter gets a lot out of his tools. He’s not super fluid but he does a good job of holding onto an advantage and never getting beat bad. That said – ideally you’d like to see more fluidity from him at tackle.

The hype around Hayden Conner is warranted. I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t end up on the first team before the end of the year. Actually reminds me of a slightly less athletic Justin Blalock. He’s wide and moves well laterally… he’s a pain to deal with. I’d be interested to see him tried at RT and then slide Kerstetter to center.

You might think I’m down on Majors but it’s not the case – it’s just a case of a number of linemen we have having higher ceilings. I think we have a few compositions that could be more dominant in the run game and while Majors does a great job with positioning, getting someone who can win battles inside and has the feet to play wide zone (of which I think we have a few) could make this a unit that can take over games. If Majors is the starter then I’d prefer us to run outside zone like it’s our religion.

Okafor looked great tonight. Best I’ve seen him look – had to double check numbers. Played with a lot of explosion, had good pad level, looked really fluid.

Watching Coburn in 1-on-1s was really impressive. Majors held on for dear life twice and Coburn played right through him. Logan Parr took a rep against him and got absolutely smoked.

I think Ojomo is going to make a lot of plays in the backfield this year from the 3-tech particularly with Coburn demanding a double. He broke into the backfield twice in the full team scrimmage. The offense got considerably better running the ball once Coburn and Ojomo rotated out.

That said overall I like what I see on offensive line. We lost a few battles but the combo blocking looked good and we ran a pin and pull that looked great. Passing protection was decent but we struggled somewhat with giving up ground. In my opinion there’s a bigger problem there with the QBs not getting the ball out in rhythm.

You can tell Overshown and Brockermeyer are benefiting from the interior line play as well as the talent at running back because they are patient reading the run and keeping depth then playing downhill. You can’t fake habits and I’m pretty encouraged what I saw from those two.

Really liked what I saw in terms of pursuit and positioning from the defense. The only play where they really got exposed from a positioning standpoint was a great against the flow cut by Bijan Robinson. 

I expect we’ll give up a lot of underneath passes and wide receiver screens this year with how we playing match 3 coverage but relatively few big chunk plays.

There are a number of drills from this coaching staff that I really enjoyed. Particularly for oline and linebacker. Oline worked a lot of different techniques in individual drills and while the pace isn’t frenetic, the lineman are putting a lot into each rep. They worked on explosion and lift in one drill with the sled and it was fucking impressive.

The linebackers worked a 2 on 1 drill where 3 players start with their backs to each other and run out about 10 paces then turn and two players have to close on one and maintain leverage. It was one of the best drills to see athleticism in that group.

Players who I wrote notes about:

Ovie Oghoufo with an outstanding pass rush in 1-on-1’s where he fainted a speed rush and then pushed Christian Jones off balance as he was trying to expand and ran straight through him.

Isaiah Hookfin with excellent patience as a pass blocker and great fluidity in 1-on-1’s shutting down both Ben Davis and D.J. Harris and making it look relatively effortless.

Byron Murphey absolutely clowned Tope Imade in 1-on-1’s. Imade plays extremely stiff and survives purely through really good hand strength.

Andrej Karic looks comfortable and fluid at right tackle. Handled Prince Dorbah with ease.

Jaylen Garth has heavy feet. Hate to write someone off, but can’t see him contributing any time soon. 

Max Merril is in the same boat… feet looked bad which is especially bad at his lighter size. Myron Warren worked him over.

Rafiti Ghirmai looked really good against T’Vondre Sweat in 1-on-1’s and Sweat looked great all practice including a great sack in the scrimmage portion.

Junior Angilau looks like the best interior pass protector. Shut Byron Murphy down.

Bijan Robison preformed great in the pass protection drills. Low frame, great positioning and effort in the drill.

Alfred Collins looked crazy fluid at his size in drills. He didn’t have much of an impact on the edge during the scrimmage though… he doesn’t look comfortable / aggressive there yet.

Vernon Broughton is explosive. Can’t help but notice him in drills. He’s a little top heavy right now but might be special later.

Terrence Cooks is a great combo of power and fluidity. Wouldn’t be surprised if he has some flashes in games this year.

Overshown got a sack on a delay blitz where no one threatened his zone and his closing speed from his drop to the QB was the real deal. Loved the play because it was awareness and discipline capped by athleticism.

Neither QB is particularly impressive. Thompson is a lot more fluid in his footwork so he looks more comfortable but he isn’t a consistent or accurate passer and he has to put a lot of air on anything over 25 yards. Card is bizarrely stiff in his backfield footwork and doesn’t look great on rollouts either – looks especially bad rolling left which is a concern since we run much better going right. He’s fast when he pulls the ball but his passing footwork is choppy and you don’t see the bounce and resets you’d like to as he is going through a progression. He gets good spin on the ball and can deliver the ball a lot more directly to a lot more of the field.

The reports about lack of separation from the WRs are pretty dead on. My guess is that they are struggling with clean reads on the match coverage and that’s translating into less decisiveness on their routes and less explosiveness in their stems. Needs to change. One thought I had was they they need to start having players positioned as defenders on more of the WR drills so they are practicing their footwork in relation to a defender and getting more reps reading position.

Best pass of the night was a strike from Card to Washington on a slant. Washington dropped a touchdown later on a ball that bounced off his chest.

Overall not necessarily in love with the total number of reps at practice. Not sure how typical it was but at any given time 2/3rds of the players are watching. The effort in every rep was high but I prefer the formats that emphasize more total reps.

Some real interesting stuff in there from Scipio about the best 5 on the o-line. Angilau is the best interior pass protector?