2021 Fall Camp Thread - Bend Over & I’ll Continue Showing You

BurntOrange&White

Drops should improve once they start catching the ball from the same QB on a regular basis. Card's biggest issue seems to be sacks which should clear up when he is able to trust receivers not to drop the ball or run the wrong route. One thing that is not easy to fix is ball security which seems to be Thompson's biggest issue at the moment. At the end of the day give me the young guy if the it is too close to call, the extra year or two of eligibility could be huge with a potential QB wizard on staff. 

14 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Drops should improve once they start catching the ball from the same QB on a regular basis. Card's biggest issue seems to be sacks which should clear up when he is able to trust receivers not to drop the ball or run the wrong route. One thing that is not easy to fix is ball security which seems to be Thompson's biggest issue at the moment. At the end of the day give me the young guy if the it is too close to call, the extra year or two of eligibility could be huge with a potential QB wizard on staff. 

That sounds like "Hey, the sacks aren't Card's fault - he doesn't trust his receivers to run the right route" and then "Hey the INT's are all Casey's fault - not that his receivers are running the wrong route". 

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

That sounds like "Hey, the sacks aren't Card's fault - he doesn't trust his receivers to run the right route" and then "Hey the INT's are all Casey's fault - not that his receivers are running the wrong route". 

Okay.

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

That may be true but  off season sacks are also the most finicky stat around. Picks on the other hand are relatively black and white who to blame and that generally comes back to the QB. 

34 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

I thought that was the rugby tackling thing our idiot DC that replaced the other idiot was teaching.

Ain’t nothing better than alligator tacklin’. Only thing that can beat it is QBs with multiple knee braces. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

So do we suck or not suck or only kind of suck but have the potential to be not so sucky or we winning the ship!? 

Instagram is a hotbed for anti texas news... every time recruitcfb, 247 or some other site post a snippet of anything Texas related, its 500 post of "texas sucks" blah blah blah.

rugby-style tackling is pretty much universally taught now. keep your head out of the tackle. attack near hip with near shoulder. it minimizes the cutback and prevents players from getting juked out as much. its a much better technique than the "head across the bow" one that most of us learned growing up.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Yeah I don’t buy this shit.

Hey our coach sucks and can’t recruit! Let’s wait a season!

What are we losing if we get rid of him? Great recruits? Nope. Solid coaching? Nope. Consistency? Yes.

We’re losing consistently shitty results.

Are you really talking about firing a coach already?

7 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Burton

I genuinely thought the storyline of preseason camp would revolve around the quarterbacks.

And it has.

But only to a degree.

While Hudson Card and Casey Thompson are attempting to win the starting QB job, a group of receivers are also trying to find spots in the rotation, and getting their fair share of headlines.

According to multiple sources, they’re just not very good.

Perhaps we should have expected this. Tom Herman preferred size over speed on the outside, and he recruited as such. He didn’t exactly seem to cherish one-on-one skills of getting open as much as raw physical ability (think Brennan Eagles and Kennedy Lewis). Unfortunately, that’s the exact opposite of what Steve Sarkisian seems to prize. When you want your receivers catching the ball on the move, the ability to get open and cleanly catch the ball takes on more importance. M

Add in some missed opportunities in recruiting like Jaxon Smith-Njigba and Marvin Mims, and the Horns are left with oft-injured receivers Jordan Whittington and Jordan Moore attempting to be the pass-catching focal point. 

Sure, true freshman Xavier Worthy appears ready to play a key role this season. And Kelvontay Dixon, who is still nursing a high ankle sprain, could, too. They have the speed Sark is looking for.

But right now, Texas is left with a rag-tag group that doesn’t exactly ooze talent or scare opponents. After all, Kai Money doesn’t exactly put the fear of God in opposing defenses.

Ultimately, people will want to point fingers, assigning blame to a current coach or a previous one for the issue at hand. 

In this instance, I think all parties share some of the blame. The talent on hand was ill-suited for Steve Sarkisian’s offense and not exactly all that talented in the first place. Yet that should have been clear in spring ball, and the Horns likely could have found a receiver or two in the portal capable of playing a key role.

The bigger issue is all these receivers Texas has on scholarship. And too many of them appear to be not good enough to make a dent.

If you’ll remember, Sarkisian, when he first arrived in Austin, even bemoaned that the Horns had too many receivers on the roster in the first place compared to other positions. In retrospect, the roster may have too many spots receivers but not enough actual receivers.

If the Texas offense goes with a lot of 12 personnel (one running back and two tight ends) this season, that could mitigate the receiver issues.

But if pass protection routinely fails or defenses load up against the run, and Texas is forced to throw, it can’t just be Jordan Whittington and possibly Josh Moore trying to get open. Yes, Xavier Worthy can help. But unless Kelvontay Dixon returns or Troy Omeire decides to step up, it appears the Horns are going to be a receiver or two short of what Sarkisian truly needs for his offense.

Who the fuck is wide receiver Jordan Moore?  I'm told I've never heard of him.

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Of note: While hitting schools yesterday we heard a great first hand account of Card’s toughness but we’ll shelve it for now. No need to give the wrong impression that we’re anointing him. But it is a useful story we’ll get to.

With Casey, it’s more of what we’ve been writing. He’s not getting it out quick enough and if you hesitate in this zero sum DL/OL setting they’re going to get to you. Like Card, he has been playing better than he did in the scrimmage, however, and there’s a lot of confidence in him winning games when he’s needed.

image.png.a44ea9b7b547cb19f46c290b6bb23111.png

Also, why would we sit Overshown because we know what he can do and play Bijan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Yeah I don’t buy this shit.

Hey our coach sucks and can’t recruit! Let’s wait a season!

What are we losing if we get rid of him? Great recruits? Nope. Solid coaching? Nope. Consistency? Yes.

We’re losing consistently shitty results.

I mean I am all for calling out bad coaching but shouldn't we see him coach one play before we call out bad coaching?  Shouldn't he at least be given the kickoff against Louisiana before we pronounce him lacking solid coaching?

Maybe I am being unfair here.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I mean I am all for calling out bad coaching but shouldn't we see him coach one play before we call out bad coaching?  Shouldn't he at least be given the kickoff against Louisiana before we pronounce him lacking solid coaching?

Maybe I am being unfair here.

Ummm the guy coached all last year. So we’ve seen him coach our wide receivers plenty and none of it has been good.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Ummm the guy coached all last year. So we’ve seen him coach our wide receivers plenty and none of it has been good.

Oh are we not talking about Sarkisian here? If we are talking about Coleman I apologize. Yes he sucks. Fire Andre Coleman.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

SI:  2021 Preview: No. 23 Texas Begins the Steve Sarkisian Era

MARCUS KRUM    AUG 16, 2021

Seven months after the confetti fell on national champion Alabama, a new college football season is nearly here. As part of Sports Illustrated's 2021 preview content, we're rolling out scouting reports for all of SI's preseason top 25 teams, featuring all the names, storylines and big games you need to know. Starting with No. 25 Nevada and running through No. 1 Alabama, we'll be featuring five teams per day from Monday through Friday.

The Big Story: Texas

A new era is beginning in Austin. Tom Herman’s tenure ended after four years in which the only significant achievement was a Sugar Bowl win over Georgia in 2019. Now it’s Steve Sarkisian’s time to try and turn around a program that hasn’t won a conference championship in 11 years. The rebound will have to start at the quarterback position, with either Casey Thompson or Hudson Card waiting in the wings after Sam Ehlinger’s departure. But the Longhorns have question marks on both sides of the ball, not to mention the addition of an entirely new coaching staff. Can Sarkisian start a rebound quicker than his two predecessors? Or is Texas destined for eternal mediocrity?

Can't Miss

No player injected hope into the hearts of Texas fans in 2020 quite like running back Bijan Robinson. The 6-foot, 222-pound back out of Tucson finally started receiving consistent carries in the second half of the season and made the most of it. His 8.9 yards per carry, good for third in the country, were punctuated with a 172-yard, three-touchdown performance against Kansas State—in just nine carries. He’s explosive, he’s agile, he’s got breakaway speed. In other words, Robinson gives off shades of great Texas rushers of the past. Maybe more importantly, he’s a complete back that could carry an offense in case of emergency.

Key Question: Who can become a downfield threat?

Texas sorely missed Devin Duvernay and Collin Johnson in 2020. The receiving duo served as both Ehlinger’s security blanket and big play threat for the first three years of his career in Austin. After both were selected in the NFL draft, Ehlinger’s passing numbers took a sharp dip without a top wideout option. Joshua Moore looked the part at times but never made plays consistently, going quiet for various stretches in the season. Former Gatorade National Player of the Year Jake Smith decided to hightail it to USC after two seasons in which he never really found his footing. Maybe Moore will make a leap like Duvernay did, or maybe Jordan Whittington can become explosive (and healthy) in the slot. But more questions remain than answers for the time being.

X-Factor: Defensive depth

As is life in the Wild West of the transfer portal, coaching changes can cause a revolving door of talent, especially with players in reserve roles. Texas lost linebacker Juwan Mitchell (last year’s leading tackler), corner Jalen Green and several other depth pieces defensively, not to mention a host of offensive transfers. In return, LSU linebacker Ray Thornton and Alabama linebacker Ben Davis transferred in, but the linebacker position remains extremely thin. Four of the five leading tacklers from 2020 are gone, most notably third-round pick Joseph Ossai. That’s not to say there isn’t some star talent—DeMarvion Overshown will anchor the linebacker spot, and Keondre Coburn and Alfred Collins provide a nice duo up front. But the Longhorns’ success defensively will key on whether or not they can build a solid rotation around their top stars.

Date to Circle: Nov. 6 at Iowa State

It may seem like the obvious choice—the traditional early October meeting with Oklahoma—is being overlooked. But the Red River Rivalry matchups are always a coin toss, no matter the strength of the two teams involved. The real test of how quickly the Sark rebuild is coming along will come in Ames. The Cyclones kept their Big 12 championship hopes alive last year with a late comeback against the Longhorns in Austin. This year’s rematch will feature an Iowa State team that is just as talented and just as poised to spoil Texas’s conference title chances in lieu of its own. As late in the season as this game is, and with Texas finishing out with a lighter stretch of Kansas, West Virginia and Kansas State, this game could play a massive role in the Big 12 landscape.

The Bottom Line

It’s never easy for the fans in Austin to temper expectations, but now’s the time to do so. This team has more of the makings of a project than a conference champion, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing. But can Sarkisian hit the reset button quicker than most expect?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Fud said:

One of the biggest issues has been getting WRs and QBs on the same page in regards to reading the defense. I don't think adding a RB to the position mid-camp would really solve that issue for the early season games 

Generally agree here but Robinson at least does have a couple extra season's in Sark's system. I don't know how much he actually lined up outside at Bama but technically he has like 5x as much time with Sark's playbook as anyone else on the roster. No getting around the QB chemistry hurdle though.

But yeah the hope should be that we can get him involved as a gadget guy later in the season with the ability to use him as the second RB in 21 or occasionally split him out in the slot for 11 personnel. 

The past few weeks of reports have put a damper on the mood going into week 1 but I sure as hell would rather be in our position than aggy right now. They are breaking in a new QB that is likely to be worse than ours throwing to receivers who are in an offense that neuters them. Predictably they are slurping every last drop of maroon kool aid out there and have no idea what is about to hit them when King/Calzada don't light the world on fire and are forced to score in bunches on the likes of Ole Miss and Miss State. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

That was right after Major threw an interception, wasn't it?

Yup and he was responding to a teammate saying 'that looked like one of your passes Chris!' 

but idiots didn't want to know the story and thought he was laughing at the pick - not someone poking fun at him.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Yup and he was responding to a teammate saying 'that looked like one of your passes Chris!' 

but idiots didn't want to know the story and thought he was laughing at the pick - not someone poking fun at him.

It was a joke. Lighten up, Francis.

2 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

If only you were Simms and posted here.  That would be awesome.  That dude would fit right in.

Agreed, but I'm not. Used to park next to his blinged out Escalade in the Jester garage way back when though. He was always pretty cool and would chat for a few. 

I was always team Simms, unless he sucked, in which case I was team Applewhite, unless he sucked. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, TexasEx said:

Agreed, but I'm not. Used to park next to his blinged out Escalade in the Jester garage way back when though. He was always pretty cool and would chat for a few. 

I was always team Simms, unless he sucked, in which case I was team Applewhite, unless he sucked. 

I'm team south austin's mom.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I think the exact quote was "Hey if we wanted to throw interceptions we could have left you in there". 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TexasEx said:

And everything I've heard, given the circumstances, Simms is a solid guy.  Major, not so much

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2