2021 Fall Camp Thread - Bend Over & I’ll Continue Showing You

BurntOrange&White

I get it our WR group, especially outside, doesn't look good. But it's also similar in quality to last year's with a higher upside if people like Whittington and Moore (Omeire healthy would be found money) remain healthy. Healthy Whittington will be better than any WR last year. Moore was our most productive WR last year. Worthy (and Money for that matter) should easily surpass Jake Smith's production and dependability last year. Those receivers alone can at least match the bulk of our receiving production from last year. Screw the backup depth dropping passes in practice who won't be counted on for significant production. Maybe Washington and Dixon catch better in games.

Add in better receiving TE's, RB's, and average to slightly above average OL play and our passing doesn't look as pessimistic vs big 12 defenses. Oh and Sark actually running the best RB in college football and the offensive potential isn't purely doom and gloom.

Edited by BevoBuck14
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Sal said:

Don’t say stupid stuff, and you’ll be fine

for those of you who have him on ignore, leave him there.

for those of you who don't, this should be enough to mute that guy forever:

I dig FutureMan's jokes. He is one of the smartest posters here.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

This right here is some aggy bullshit.  

It's been 10 years of largely disappointing play and baffling play calls ranging from botched coin flips to multiple blocked extra points to inexplicable rotations leading to fumbles (Ingram fumbling at GL after like 80 yd run eg) to key talent barely playing (Bijan eg) and consistently watching UT coaches just fumble fuck their way to dick for a decade.

I am tempering my Kool-Aid drinking as frankly it has largely for 10 odd years led to being let down overall with the performance of the team.

17 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Can someone remind me where all the nail biting is coming from? From what I can tell, the data points we have are:

1. Spring game 
  2. 9.95er "sources" (who actually haven't been that negative on the QBs right?)
  3. Media portion of practices - How long is a media portion? If it's 5 minutes and the coaches don't want to show real plays to media, then it's dumb to put any stock in it. Also not all negative reviews from these.
  4. Scrimmage 1 reports 
  5. One open practice (again, doubtful they opened up many offensive plays for the public to see)

To be honest, kinda seems like everyone is being a bunch of pussies. We have a tiny sample size mostly based on times when coaches don't want to give anyone a feel for what the offense looks like. We also still have 2.5 weeks before game 1. Not saying I know the QBs will be good, maybe they do suck, but also not ready to proclaim we're doomed.

And this is without mentioning anything from FCB.

Reminds me of watching my local high school and scrimmages this time of year.    I haven't seen one where we "blew out" they other team and in fact people were bitching about how we looked.   Three months later deep into December we are still playing football.  

Edited by Nueces River Rat

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I don't think the basement on this team is nearly as low as some people here believe.  This is a damn good coaching staff filled with guys that know what they are doing.

Even with the alleged struggles at WR (and possibly QB) this team is going to score points and Bijan is going to make everyone else's job easier.

I believe that Bijan will make everyone else's job easier, but who do you think steps up and becomes the breakout player that will score when the defenses load the box? I ask because I keep seeing this sentiment but no one is actually pointing out who will step up.

34 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

I have put all of those on ignore because I don't know you and I don't care for your takes either and it seems like you have a personal vendetta or perhaps I remind you of someone who did bad things to you as a child. Seems like some of you just can't wait to neg me. You always have the option to put me on ignore if you don't agree with me. That's what I did now that I know who you are. 

I am happy to discuss with other posters who have their anger issues under control, have a sense of humor, and are willing to get out of their comfort zone. 

Lastly, I dig FutureMan's jokes. He is one of the smartest posters here. To @Futureman:

Austin Powers Reaction GIF by i-love-you

Gee, thanks for finally giving us your list of demands for those you will engage with and those you will not. Also, there's a reason you like his jokes.

Edited by Droopy
reasons
  • Haha 1

Just now, Droopy said:

I believe that Bijan will make everyone else's job easier, but who do you think steps up and becomes the breakout player that will score when the defenses load the box? I ask because I keep seeing this sentiment but no one is actually pointing out who will step up.

Xavier Worthy and wide stuff to KRobinson.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Xavier Worthy and wide stuff to KRobinson.

i am really really interested to see how we use Robinson this year.

for the first time in...ever? i have some level of faith in the offensive staff and play callers to maximize the skill sets of the players and create opportunities for them.

2 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

I am trying not to let my BHS take hold but ultimately this is not a very good team on offense (minus RB).

We have unproven commodities at QB, WRs that cannot stay healthy, block or get open, TEs that hate contact/blocking and cannot catch as well as an OL that is full of 5th & 6th year JAGs (or at least it seems like Imade, Ghirmai etc have been here 6 years doing jack shit)

I do believe the game day coaching/rotations will be better as Herman was an assclown of epic proportions but Sark is going from leading a Ferrari of an offense to whatever amalgam of pieces Texas has.

This team is so frustrating as in spite of all of this glaring offense weakness I can see 9 wins. I could also see 6-7.

This team absolutely needs to play ball control offense, chew up clock and ride the defense.

Challenge is that is not a sexy O to sell to recruits (before all of the NIL fuckery Plonsky is responsible for)

Oh well, That's why God invited Bourbon, to make Saturdays feel good even if the Horns don't play well.

This is just way too bed wetting and vaginal man.  

I can see 9 wins.  You are talking about we are going to go in as favorites in 10 or 11 of our 12 games.  That's not to say we will win all of those, but people acting like 9 wins is some sort of 95th percentile outcome for this season are doing it wrong.  6-7 means we hired the wrong guy, period.  Or that we had a ton of injury trouble or something awful happen to us. 

You aren't far off on anything you are saying, you just aren't conceptualizing it well at all.  We have the best RB room in the nation and a legit Heisman candidate back there.  We have an offensive line that has decent talent and even under just brutal and stupid coaching they were average to above average the last couple years.  We have TE's. A couple years ago we didn't even have those man.  Our WR's are probably not less talented than 7 or 8 of the 12 teams on the schedule. That's the best I can say about them.  Hudson Card will be a more talented QB than every QB on our schedule except Rattler.  Casey Thompson will be more talented than more than half of them.

The defenses in our league aren't exactly known for being the 1985 Bears.  We should have a really good defense, we have good special teams skill players and we are paying a ton of attention to those special teams which can cover a lot of sins.  What group of badasses do you see on our schedule who are going to shut down those RB's with competent and innovative play calling?  

We probably win 9 or 10 out of 12. But you shouldn't have to stretch to see 9 wins or consider it an outlier outcome that isn't within our capabilities.  

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

We have TE's. A couple years ago we didn't even have those man.

Remember when a converted OT Syracuse transfer was our best TE? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

https://247sports.com/player/kendall-moore-14957/

Man, Herman sucked, but Strong era roster planning was something else.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Remember when a converted OT Syracuse transfer was our best TE? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

https://247sports.com/player/kendall-moore-14957/

Man, Herman sucked, but Strong era roster planning was something else.

I do.  That's why I posted "we have tight ends".  It wasn't talk about their quality more we just have organic life forms that occupy a TE meeting room, which is a step forward from those dark times. 

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

I got negged by three people for posting Casey's highlights from the Alamo Bowl when many of you were convinced Card is much better. That's the QB who won a game for us and could be starting the first game. How fucked up is that?

Then I got negged by 10 posters for making fun of one of those 3 people who went on a rampage negging my other posts. That was hilarious! Some of you have serious anger issues. You should see someone about that.

I have put all of those on ignore because I don't know you and I don't care for your takes either and it seems like you have a personal vendetta or perhaps I remind you of someone who did bad things to you as a child. Seems like some of you just can't wait to neg me. You always have the option to put me on ignore if you don't agree with me. That's what I did now that I know who you are. 

I am happy to discuss with other posters who have their anger issues under control, have a sense of humor, and are willing to get out of their comfort zone. 

Lastly, I dig FutureMan's jokes. He is one of the smartest posters here. To @Futureman:

You might be taking this whole message board deal a little to seriously. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

We have 6th year seniors at TE & OL that have never really done shit in their time at UT that we are hoping "get it" under Sark.

You keep saying this and I don’t get why exactly. I guess you are talking about Okafor, Tope, and Brewer but our success doesn’t really hinge on the light coming on for any of those guys, let alone all three.

Okafor and Tope are just 2 of the 8 guys we have fighting for playing time on the line (and Tope is unlikely to even start) As mentioned at least Okafor is finally playing the correct position.

Brewer is fine even if athletically he’s never been the same after getting injured early in his career. He can be useful if he’s put in positions that play to his strengths and we have a lot of younger, more athletic guys at TE to do the things he can’t do. Plenty to worry about, but our offense relying on 6 year JAGs in order to be any good just isn’t really one of them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

You keep saying this and I don’t get why exactly. I guess you are talking about Okafor, Tope, and Brewer but our success doesn’t really hinge on the light coming on for any of those guys, let alone all three.

Okafor and Tope are just 2 of the 8 guys we have fighting for playing time on the line (and Tope is unlikely to even start) As mentioned at least Okafor is finally playing the correct position.

Brewer is fine even if athletically he’s never been the same after getting injured early in his career. He can be useful if he’s put in positions that play to his strengths and we have a lot of younger, more athletic guys at TE to do the things he can’t do. Plenty to worry about, but our offense relying on 6 year JAGs in order to be any good just isn’t really one of them. 

Yep.  Those guys all represent found money or potential upside for us. They should have no bearing on where to set our floor. 

2 hours ago, NoName said:

i am really really interested to see how we use Robinson this year.

I am cautiously optimistic about my opinion that Robinson has Ramonce Taylor potential without the whole weed/depression cloud over his head.

It’s early, but that’s what my hopeful brain is reading between the lines when processing the adjectives used to describe his talent.

Edited by Napoleon

6 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Yeah, I was also appalled when I saw someone use the word “stupid” on here.  I try to have a reasonable discussion where the worst thing anyone says is “you flat out fucking suck you fuckface”, but invariably someone has to ruin it by typing something really nasty like the s-word.

Totally dude.  Was quoting someone else too!  But ya know, quotes on this site don't always work.

44 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I am cautiously optimistic about my opinion that Robinson has Ramonce Taylor potential without the whole weed/depression cloud over his head.

It’s early, but that’s what my hopeful brain is reading between the lines when processing the adjectives used to describe his talent.

I was optimistic before you said this, but you made me recall the Greg Davis playbook. Luckily, that was DJ Monroe on the sidelines. I'm starting to breath again.

8185974452_6b61256318_o.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ShowMeALoss said:

I got negged by three people for posting Casey's highlights from the Alamo Bowl when many of you were convinced Card is much better. That's the QB who won a game for us and could be starting the first game. How fucked up is that?

Then I got negged by 10 posters for making fun of one of those 3 people who went on a rampage negging my other posts. That was hilarious! Some of you have serious anger issues. You should see someone about that.

I have no idea what's going on, and I didn't read this whole thing, but I negged you for the hell of it

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Start Casey and just run screens and RB dump offs with the occasional play action bomb.  Anything over the middle and you are looking at a pick or PBU.  We can't do Sark's offense with this crew.

I think the last 8 or 9 Offensive Coordinators came to this same conclusion. They gave up what got them the job, and just ran the Greg Davis offense you are describing. I would rather go 0-11 than see that shit again. I just want to see agressive football, throw the ball down the field - if it gets intercepted fuck it. You really want to see screens? Is your post a joke? JFC

1 minute ago, Farmer Vincent said:

I think the last 8 or 9 Offensive Coordinators came to this same conclusion. They gave up what got them the job, and just ran the Greg Davis offense you are describing. I would rather go 0-11 than see that shit again. I just want to see agressive football, throw the ball down the field - if it gets intercepted fuck it. You really want to see screens? Is your post a joke? JFC

Sark's offense is a lot of "get the ball quickly to a fast guy who is already running," which often is close to the LOS. He's not going to be Rex Grossman style chucking it around with these WRs unless it's been set up.