LB- Overshown- 2018 (4th year)

LB- Brockermeyer- 2018 (4th year)

NB- Cook- 2018 (4th year)

CB- Thompson- 2017 (5th year)

CB- Jamison- 2018 (4th year)

S- Foster- 2018 (4th year)

S- Schooler- 2016 (6th year)

Average- 4.55 years of school

That's incredibly stark. It's also low key terrifying for the future.  The transfer portal better be our friend going forward.  On Defense in general and the wide receive room in particular.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That's incredibly stark. It's also low key terrifying for the future.  The transfer portal better be our friend going forward.  On Defense in general and the wide receive room in particular.  

Your life must be a never-ending hell-scape of terror.

Important backups on defense who we expect to play a role this year:

T'Vondre Sweat (3rd year), Alfred Collins (2nd year), Vernon Broughton (2nd year), Chris Adimora (3rd year), Kitan Crawford (2nd year), Jerrin Thompson (2nd year), Devin Richardson (3rd year).

The question marks going into 2022 are going to be EDGE and LB - both of those positions are filled with talented recruits but they haven't proven anything yet.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You sound like a fearful man. Some years of potential 2022 contributors (assuming guys like Jamison, Coburn, and Foster move on)

Ojomo- 5th year

Cook- 5th year

Brockermeyer- 5th year

Ovie- 5th year

Richardson- 5th year

Sweat- 4th year

Gbenda- 4th year

Adimora- 4th year

Warren- 4th year

Bush- 4th year

Collins- 3rd year

Broughton- 3rd year

Crawford- 3rd year

Jerrin- 3rd year

Ford- 3rd year

Barron- 3rd year

Dorbah- 3rd year

Hullaby- 3rd year

Ojomo's decision will be a big one for the defense 

• Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Until you realize that our defense has young guys behind the old farts that will be able to play once the old farts leave. It's the right way to build a program.

• Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, Fud said:

You sound like a fearful man. Some years of potential 2022 contributors (assuming guys like Jamison, Coburn, and Foster move on)

Ojomo- 5th year

Cook- 5th year

Brockermeyer- 5th year

Ovie- 5th year

Richardson- 5th year

Sweat- 4th year

Gbenda- 4th year

Adimora- 4th year

Warren- 4th year

Bush- 4th year

Collins- 3rd year

Broughton- 3rd year

Crawford- 3rd year

Jerrin- 3rd year

Ford- 3rd year

Barron- 3rd year

Dorbah- 3rd year

Hullaby- 3rd year

Ojomo's decision will be a big one for the defense 

I see two guys who end up gone from that list, and 2, maybe 3 difference makers.  That's not a great ratio in 2022.  Then 2023 those guys that might be difference makers in 2022 are gone.  We don't have a cupboard full of really talented and young players waiting to develop and become upper class all conference players.  The portal is going to matter in 2023 and 2024- a lot.  That's what happens when you bring in 3 meh classes in a row I suppose (or at least classes without clear difference makers on the defensive side of the ball which we did with Orlando asleep at the wheel his last year here- the implosion of the Herman regime last year and a less than auspicious recruiting start here for Sark.  Maybe Dorbah figures it out.  Maybe Ford becomes much better than I think - but Collins and Crawford are the only '22 all conference types on there if Ojomo and Sweat end up gone as I believe they might and if they are all conference in 22 they are probably gone.  Then what?  Where are your difference makers?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I see two guys who end up gone from that list, and 2, maybe 3 difference makers.  That's not a great ratio in 2022.  Then 2023 those guys that might be difference makers in 2022 are gone.  We don't have a cupboard full of really talented and young players waiting to develop and become upper class all conference players.  The portal is going to matter in 2023 and 2024- a lot.  That's what happens when you bring in 3 meh classes in a row I suppose (or at least classes without clear difference makers on the defensive side of the ball which we did with Orlando asleep at the wheel his last year here- the implosion of the Herman regime last year and a less than auspicious recruiting start here for Sark.  Maybe Dorbah figures it out.  Maybe Ford becomes much better than I think - but Collins and Crawford are the only '22 all conference types on there if Ojomo and Sweat end up gone as I believe they might and if they are all conference in 22 they are probably gone.  Then what?  Where are your difference makers?

Are you new to college football?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Not worried.  Oger will soon be fired at LSU and BOB will give Bama the aids.  That will lead to a mass exodus from those programs where we profit;)       

Edited by RollLeft
  • Hook 'Em 2

No- I'm not new to college football. I'm saying we are on the precipice (in a year or two) where our recruiting shortfalls are going to come home to roost, if we don't get this taken care of soon and in the portal.  We filled in the portal this year.  I presume this staff, if they are as competent as I think they will be on that side of the ball, can use that same bandaid again for a couple years- but they weren't done any favors by the dipshits running the program/defense the last couple years and the slow start this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

No- I'm not new to college football. I'm saying we are on the precipice (in a year or two) where our recruiting shortfalls are going to come home to roost, if we don't get this taken care of soon and in the portal.  We filled in the portal this year.  I presume this staff, if they are as competent as I think they will be on that side of the ball, can use that same bandaid again for a couple years- but they weren't done any favors by the dipshits running the program/defense the last couple years and the slow start this year. 

You’re still a dumbass. Your current reasoning just confirms. 

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Wulaw horn….more like big pussy

Actually I've been mocking the maybe we can get lucky and win 9 this year crowd for being a pussy. I'm pretty bullish and optimistic on what our chances could be for this year.  We've got some heavy lifting to do going forward is my generalized point, as this roster looks pretty bereft of difference makers projecting a year or two forward. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You’re still a dumbass. Your current reasoning just confirms. 

right.  Because the number of freshmen, redshirt freshmen and recruits, who are basically the lifeline of a program, is fully stocked going forward, especially on D.  Got it.  I guess I missed all the good work Orlando and Herman did on that side of the ball. Or all the difference making studs we have lined up this year to commit.  

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

right.  Because the number of freshmen, redshirt freshmen and recruits, who are basically the lifeline of a program, is fully stocked going forward, especially on D.  Got it.  I guess I missed all the good work Orlando and Herman did on that side of the ball. Or all the difference making studs we have lined up this year to commit.  

I'm starting to be pretty entertained by this notion of you dying on this bizarre hill here. I'm cheering for you, Wu, but I agree, if you're going to submit yourself to a public flogging, do it flamboyantly. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The-Sopranos_S.06_E.19_The-Second-Coming

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Surprised we haven't heard much about Jaden Alexis.

He played at a high school where 90% of their offense was throwing bubble screens to Alexis.  Despite how ready he might have been physically - I wonder if he's just not up to speed on the offense?  Should be interesting to watch as the season progresses.  I was a big fan of his as a recruit - I'm really hoping this is just something where the light comes on and he is ready to contribute.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

Are we going to be average on offense? Probably. It’s a long ways from Herman’s first year and a metric fuck ton from Strong in year one. It’s to be expected, neither QB would’ve been recruited by Sark. But we’ve got to find a way to win some games with what we can do. The encouraging piece is we have a play caller to do that. The last two coaches basically said fuck it, we are who we are in year 1. Sark isnt wired that way IMO.

20 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Start Casey and just run screens and RB dump offs with the occasional play action bomb.  Anything over the middle and you are looking at a pick or PBU.  We can't do Sark's offense with this crew.

18 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

It's been 10 years of largely disappointing play and baffling play calls ranging from botched coin flips to multiple blocked extra points to inexplicable rotations leading to fumbles (Ingram fumbling at GL after like 80 yd run eg) to key talent barely playing (Bijan eg) and consistently watching UT coaches just fumble fuck their way to dick for a decade.

I am tempering my Kool-Aid drinking as frankly it has largely for 10 odd years led to being let down overall with the performance of the team.

2 hours ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Absolutley

You must be one of the guys that talk about Tom Herman winning a NC with a third string QB.

40 minutes ago, futureman said:

did he or did he not win a national championship with a third string quarterback? respond whenever you’re ready. 

Man you guys need to grow a pair. It's pretty simple. Stark is going to try and run his offense. What is going to determine how effective it is will be the running game. Plain and simple. If we can get something going on the ground, then the RPOs will work. The better the ground game, the easier the throws.

Look, after years of Greg Davis, then who we already knew was going to struggle in Shawn Watson, followed by Tom Herman trying to force his offense onto a QB that should've been a pocket passer, I get the struggle. However, let me remind you. Greg Davis was what he was before us and after us. Iowa ranked 114, 79, 71, 54, and 95 while he was there. WE DID NOT HAVE A QUARTERBACK FOR THE BETTER PART OF A DECADE, and we didn't have anyone here who could maximize mediocre QB play.

We are not cursed. We simply have been giving the wrong people jobs. Greg Davis should've been fired in the early 2000's, but Vince and Colt took him off the respirator. Then we went 7 full years before we got a decent QB in here. But when that finally happened Tom Herman came in with his "must have a running QB" playbook and tried to force Ehlinger into it, as we all knew he would.

For years Texas hasn't been able to put competent playcalling on both sides of the ball. Think back and tell me I am wrong. Not even through the good years did we have good playcallers on both sides. One was always meh.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm starting to be pretty entertained by this notion of you dying on this bizarre hill here. I'm cheering for you, Wu, but I agree, if you're going to submit yourself to a public flogging, do it flamboyantly. 

We can add to our Tom Herman is the best letter writing bet if you like. I will set the over under on all conference defenders (1st or second team) at 1.5 for '23 and take the under.  Which, if Texas is healthy- should have like 3 or 4 or 5 guys make that level of talent/skill.  Collins is basically the only guy on the roster on defense I see with potential to be an All American. 

I'm out.  I guess I'm on this hill all alone thinking that we better win this year and win big or it looks pretty bleak on defense into the foreseeable future.  Shit can change, obviously, but Damn- this is the most important year we've had for a long, long time. I'm getting twitchy thinking about it. We should be really good. If we are that sets us up, along with going into the SEC, to be really good for a really long time- go on another run where we are winning 10 games and being ranked in the top 10 as our birth right.  If this staff is really "7 win Steve" then we can tack another 5-10 years onto the last 11 we've spent in the wilderness.  

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

We can add to our Tom Herman is the best letter writing bet if you like. I will set the over under on all conference defenders (1st or second team) at 1.5 for '23 and take the under.  Which, if Texas is healthy- should have like 3 or 4 or 5 guys make that level of talent/skill.  Collins is basically the only guy on the roster on defense I see with potential to be an All American. 

I'm out.  I guess I'm on this hill all alone thinking that we better win this year and win big or it looks pretty bleak on defense into the foreseeable future.  Shit can change, obviously, but Damn- this is the most important year we've had for a long, long time. I'm getting twitchy thinking about it. We should be really good. If we are that sets us up, along with going into the SEC, to be really good for a really long time- go on another run where we are winning 10 games and being ranked in the top 10 as our birth right.  If this staff is really "7 win Steve" then we can tack another 5-10 years onto the last 11 we've spent in the wilderness.  

Big12 or SEC?

14 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Hi SATY Sock...

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47yvlqibz4wvw4ys2u3t 

On a positive note...

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47gzvtkuebu1u65z9qm6

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

What’s funny about this concern about our 2023 defensive starting lineup- in addition to the fact that we have 457 other things far more important to be concerned about is it’s not even based in any kind of objective reality. The 2021 class, defensively at least was stocked full of potential starters. Murphy is already showing out to be a player, at least two of the linebackers look legit and the class included two potential starters at corner. If anything, this is the most depth we have seen on defense in over a decade. 

If you want to melt down over the future, do it over QB, OL and WR were we fucked up at 2021 and still not exactly knocking it out of the park for 2022. That’s where 2023 is going to get messy if we do not get things turned around. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Big12 or SEC?

My guess is SEC.  

And I'd set the acceptable standard if Texas has a healthy program in the SEC that is going to compete for titles at 3.5 or 4 for first or second team all conference defenders.  Hell- just law of averages if you assigned every team an equal representation would be something like 1.6 or 1.7 (the all conference teams usually have 13 players on them to account for schemes).  So that's 26 available spots.  

In 2005 we had 6 all conference guys on defense. In 2020 we had 2.    

So, when we go 4 wide in the first game it's going to be Moore, Dixon, Worthy and Money, isn't it?  That's a bunch of smurfs. I think @gmr548is right- we should just learn to embrace the 22 personnel.  I just threw up a little bit in my mouth (over the idea of 22 personnel- not Money).  Yuck. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn