2021 Fall Camp Thread - Bend Over & I’ll Continue Showing You

BurntOrange&White

9 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Louisiana might be good but a lot of stuff went right for them vs Iowa State. First, ULL had their first score was with 4 mins left to go in the first half where they returned a kickoff for a TD. 7-7. Iowa St comes back and scores 14-7. ULL drives and gets a field goal 14-10 ISU at half. Purdy throws a pick on the 15 yard line. ULL gets a punt return for a TD. So it's 24-14 and ULL scores a meaningless TD on 4th and 1 with 15 seconds left.

People who did not watch the game will say that ULL dominated them. In reality ISU had more yard and such, but the 2 turnovers and 2 returns given up killed them.

Yeah, I think we'll do well against them, but it's not Rice. The positional matchups matter for the outcome.

Shit, Eagles had all of like 28 receptions last year and Smith had around 20? Oh and we lost Tariq who got caught from behind by the defender 10 yards behind him that was carrying ctj and Sydney in his jock strap. Our receivers sucked last year. They may suck this year too but they won’t be worse. Moore was our best receiver last year and while he might be a head case, he’s the same dude we trotted out last year. Hopefully we get our guys healthy and they can be better than the suck we had last year - our top 4 receivers combined for around 100 catches for 1500 yards. But yeah, we are going to suck because of our WR group. Holy shit.
I've been thinking about this and think you're right. Our recieving crew certainly wont be any worse with the addition of Worthy and Wittington, and in spite of flirting with a possible (but unlikely) NFL starting job, Sam wasnt exactly Mr accuracy last year. Our running game can only get better and if $9.95'ers and Surly practice peepers are to be believed, our D should be improved as well.

Show me a gotdam loss? I'll wait here
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I would love an opener listening to Tim Brando bitch about us running up the score on his Cajuns, but I’ll be very happy just getting the W in both of our first two games given the uncertainty about the passing game. Some blowouts would be very welcome after the way we opened seasons under Herman most years, but I think this team is going to get better as the season goes on, and I’m not going to be down on this team if we win them both in close fashion. 

48 minutes ago, THUJONE said:

Whittington out until the season is bad. He's not going to make it through the season, guys.

You are shaggy/surly royalty, but around here we tell the emperor when he’s running around naked with a fleshlight hanging from his dingaling.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

29 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I would love an opener listening to Tim Brando bitch about us running up the score on his Cajuns, but I’ll be very happy just getting the W in both of our first two games given the uncertainty about the passing game. Some blowouts would be very welcome after the way we opened seasons under Herman most years, but I think this team is going to get better as the season goes on, and I’m not going to be down on this team if we win them both in close fashion. 

Brando is a UL-Monroe grad, ULaLa should be his rival. Maybe he'll just be a shit to both teams?

57 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Yeah I’ll be happy with a W but if it’s some one score squeaker bullshit we are fucked. We better beat ulala and rice by 3 scores easily giving the 2s plenty of PT and turning some recruits heads.   Our receivers are trash. Our recruiting has been caca.  We need Ws   The kind where you run your big fat balls across the chin on the other team while banging their coaches mom and wife and tv type shit 

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Louisiana might be good but a lot of stuff went right for them vs Iowa State. First, ULL had their first score was with 4 mins left to go in the first half where they returned a kickoff for a TD. 7-7. Iowa St comes back and scores 14-7. ULL drives and gets a field goal 14-10 ISU at half. Purdy throws a pick on the 15 yard line. ULL gets a punt return for a TD. So it's 24-14 and ULL scores a meaningless TD on 4th and 1 with 15 seconds left.

People who did not watch the game will say that ULL dominated them. In reality ISU had more yard and such, but the 2 turnovers and 2 returns given up killed them.

I am not sure that pig is going to be as easy as you think.

8 minutes ago, TexasBeta said:

Watching the 1987 Texas v pig game. Tony Jones says otherwise.

GREAT MOMENT
Texas  vs #15 Arkansas 
Saturday, October 17, 1987

Spoiler

GREAT MOMENT
Texas 16, #15 Arkansas 14
War Memorial Stadium (Little Rock, Ark.)

Texas, down 14-10, started at its own 44-yard-line with 1:48 left on the clock and one timeout to spare. In keeping with the great tradition of exciting Texas/Arkansas matchups, quarterback Bret Stafford answered the call and led the Longhorns on a 11-play, 56-yard drive that culminated in a 18-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Tony Jones with no time left on the clock. Jones, who made the reception just inside the goal line, took a couple of hard hits just as he caught the ball, but the 5-foot-7, 140-pounder somehow managed to hang on. The game was the first in UT history to be decided on the final play of the game.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

I'll never understand how we fucked up WR recruiting so bad over the last 4 years.  Good job good effort Tom.

Going after busts like Eagles, Alvonte Woodard, the whiny white boy from Arizona, plus others with glass legs and stone hands will do that to you. 

• Fuck You 1

14 hours ago, Thatguy said:

The key word in here is MOST. However, if you are making a championship run and have championship level talent, you cannot consistently have mediocre efforts vs the teams that have the same level of talent as you. Period. OU was slightly less talented than we were during the glory years, but they brought more innovation to the Cotton Bowl, and thus we lost to them more times than not. Our sputtering offense started most of the landslides that we were in. Even against Tech in 08, we came out and put up 6 in the first half of that game when everyone knew you need to keep Tech's offense on the sideline.

The Sooners have 14 Big 12 Championships. We have 3. One more than Baylor. In football. Everyone here should be embarrassed by that.

I am. I hate it. I'm the person who harps on conference championships the most on here...

You've changed points, though.  Your claim was Greg Davis should have been fired in the early 2000s when our offenses were rolling. We got shut down offensively in SIX games. I'd kick my sons in their peepees for that production today.

The real reason we've been crap (on offense) is because we've been trotting out a mishmash of freshman QBs and OL and hope. 

I said most, but the answer is all.  Players matter more than coaching. Coaching matters, but players are first. 

11 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

When examining Greg Davis’ offenses against defenses with a pulse from 1998-2010, it is below average when compared to other “top” offenses. That is we saw a larger dropoff than offenses that finished in the Top 20 when faced against decent defenses. The exceptions were 2005 and 2008. Greg Davis and Mack Brown’s conservative offenses cost us championships.

While the low-risk playcalling and lazy game planning allowed Mack to coast to 10 wins against outmatched opponents, decent teams could zero in on patterns with impunity. See Mike Stoops.

The really bad part was Mack Brown’s lack of vision and Greg Davis’ limited role in forming a complete offense, optimizing recruiting, etc etc, especially post VY. Early Mack really killed it in recruiting, but the misses added up towards the end and Muschamp, Shipley, and Colt hid a lot of warts.

It’s why we have a paltry number of top end draft picks on that side of the ball from 2007-2015. I included it thru 2015 because how much Mack/Davis set us back.

It’s a head scratcher that we have dickheads on this site that defend the likes of Greg Davis and Bud Adams

Once you go black dickhead...

What does the 87 game have to do with our game with them in a few weeks. Maybe I am missing something.

It doesn’t. Was reading this right when Tony Jones was getting ready to beat Arky. I agree with you that this is not a gimme. No game is safe right now. The pig fans will be out for blood.

I will remain in the "show me" camp, but I can't imagine Sark allows OohLaLa to be his Maryland. While TH strutted in talking mensa and acting like the smartest guy in the room, everyone else talks about what a genius Sark is. Plus he's got the body of work to show for it. I believe that if it comes down to it, he'll dig down and pull out some 7th grade trick play just to avoid getting embarrassed. 

It also sounds like we might finally have a defense that lets athletes dominate and destroy. But, again, show me.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Those guys had excellent offer lists. When they all bust, the problem is coaching. 

Unless Texas turns the ball over 4+ times it will be an easy win against the Cajuns. I really like Whittington and hope he has a great year but it may be time for him to sign an NIL deal with Waterford Crystal.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Brando is a UL-Monroe grad, ULaLa should be his rival. Maybe he'll just be a shit to both teams?

He seems to claim everyone from Louisiana and always goes out of his way to trash us, but I’d certainly settle for even-handed assholiness from Brando

53 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

GREAT MOMENT
Texas  vs #15 Arkansas 

Hide contents

GREAT MOMENT
Texas 16, #15 Arkansas 14
War Memorial Stadium (Little Rock, Ark.)

Texas, down 14-10, started at its own 44-yard-line with 1:48 left on the clock and one timeout to spare. In keeping with the great tradition of exciting Texas/Arkansas matchups, quarterback Bret Stafford answered the call and led the Longhorns on a 11-play, 56-yard drive that culminated in a 18-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Tony Jones with no time left on the clock. Jones, who made the reception just inside the goal line, took a couple of hard hits just as he caught the ball, but the 5-foot-7, 140-pounder somehow managed to hang on. The game was the first in UT history to be decided on the final play of the game.

What always strikes me when I go back and watch this is that we had one play left, 18 yards out, and we’re lined up in the I-formation. 

15 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

You are all lunatics. It’s wild that a majority of y’all are out there mingling in society. I’m ready to see Bijan juke a Cajun out his fuck ass britches. Any other conversation is irrelevant. By the way, Bijan Mustard? Potential NIL opportunity. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Snacks said:

I am. I hate it. I'm the person who harps on conference championships the most on here...

You've changed points, though.  Your claim was Greg Davis should have been fired in the early 2000s when our offenses were rolling. We got shut down offensively in SIX games. I'd kick my sons in their peepees for that production today.

The real reason we've been crap (on offense) is because we've been trotting out a mishmash of freshman QBs and OL and hope. 

I said most, but the answer is all.  Players matter more than coaching. Coaching matters, but players are first. 

I haven't changed points at all. 98 and 99 you could make that argument, but 01, 03, and 04 no. Like I stated above, we always took the most conservative, unimaginative offense to the Cotton Bowl. Every. Single. Time. OU knew exactly what we were going to do and punished us for it. You played football, you know how a play caller can help you against an overaggressive defense. We did none of that, and that's why OU has 14 titles and we don't.

When you have the level of talent we did from 00-09, you are judged, as a coordinator, by what you do in big games, or at least you should be. Look at our counterparts. OU averaged 37 points per game and fired Josh Heupel. LSU fired Pelini after a single season. Tim Beck was "encouraged" to take the Texas job by Ohio State.

I get it Snacks, all of us would long for the days of going 10-2 again, but that doesn't change the fact that back then we were KNOWN for turtling in big games. Outside of Georgia, no school has done less with more.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 4

3 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I haven't changed points at all. 98 and 99 you could make that argument, but 01, 03, and 04 no. Like I stated above, we always took the most conservative, unimaginative offense to the Cotton Bowl. Every. Single. Time. OU knew exactly what we were going to do and punished us for it. You played football, you know how a play caller can help you against an overaggressive defense. We did none of that, and that's why OU has 14 titles and we don't.

When you have the level of talent we did from 00-09, you are judged, as a coordinator, by what you do in big games, or at least you should be. Look at our counterparts. OU averaged 37 points per game and fired Josh Heupel. LSU fired Pelini after a single season. Tim Beck was "encouraged" to take the Texas job by Ohio State.

I get it Snacks, all of us would long for the days of going 10-2 again, but that doesn't change the fact that back then we were KNOWN for turtling in big games. Outside of Georgia, no school has done less with more.

Dude, don’t be that guy 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TexasBeta said:

It doesn’t. Was reading this right when Tony Jones was getting ready to beat Arky. I agree with you that this is not a gimme. No game is safe right now. The pig fans will be out for blood.

My bad. I was wrong. It has everything to do with our game with them. They hate us from the day they were born to the day they die. Its going to be a scene that none of our QBs have ever seen before. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Those guys had excellent offer lists. When they all bust, the problem is coaching. 

Casey Cain* was the only real WTF? offer. I don't remember people bitching about signing Smith, Eagles, Whittington, Washington, Woodard, etc. 

*Cain dropped basically every ball thrown in his direction during the open practice. At least all the ones I was able to see.