2021 Fall Camp Thread - Bend Over & I’ll Continue Showing You

BurntOrange&White

2 minutes ago, Domedriver said:

mayhem, a student uprising to free Big Beertha!  Free Beer on San Jacinto!  Then when we crush the Cagins, and have our drunk Womens run naked onto the field! 🤘

dreams of a perfect Saturday!

First cold front of the season maybe???

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

11 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Can we talk about the nice blocking by Denzel Okafor and Christian Jones in that Casey Thompson video?  Okafor hands off the initial rusher to Jones and picks up the guy stunting inside.  Casey stays clean and a TD is the end result.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CS4Zu-9s3AT/?utm_medium=copy_link

That is nice. I haven’t seen switch offs like that in probably 10+ years from our line. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Can we talk about the nice blocking by Denzel Okafor and Christian Jones in that Casey Thompson video?  Okafor hands off the initial rusher to Jones and picks up the guy stunting inside.  Casey stays clean and a TD is the end result.

Show me a sack!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

It’s almost like we’ve had talent on the OL but they were never properly coached.

Vahe  and Shack being 4 year starters at OL who could never recognize a stunt was a pretty damning sight. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

FWIW, looks a little late on the pickup, which could end badly depending on the rusher, but hard to tell with the limited angle.

Definitely nice to see a OL keep his eyes up and hand off a block to maintain his gap assignment though. I’m pretty sure Herb Hand taught that doing so was illegal.

5 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s almost like we’ve had talent on the OL but they were never properly coached.

Vahe  and Shack being 4 year starters at OL who could never recognize a stunt was a pretty damning sight. 

Is there a new blocking sled in the bubble?

On 8/20/2021 at 2:29 PM, Hiphopopotamos said:

We're not running the ball 66% of the time - that's just ridiculous.  There will be a lot of play action and the TE's are going to be a huge part of the offense - but I don't care how many WR's we lose - we're not turning into Wisconsin.

Bucky might be an upgrade. Headed there to jump around and watch them play UofM and visit the kid.

Burton:

Steve Sarkisian has been on the job for eight months. Granted, no games have been played yet, but it’s time for a check-in. How is Sark doing at Texas so far?

Handling the roster immediately
Unlike the early stages of Tom Herman’s tenure, Sark did not come in and clean house. Sure, there were a couple of malcontents that parted ways. But there weren’t nearly as many as Herman pushed out the door. I give Sark a solid A.

Hiring assistants
I think Sark deserves huge props for landing Pete Kwiatkowski, for getting Kyle Flood to join him in Austin, and retaining Stan Drayton. The additions of Jeff Choate, Bo Davis and Jeff Banks were also astute moves. So was bringing in former Horn Blake Gideon, a recommendation of former Horn DC Will Muschamp. For the DC alone, I think this is a solid A, but not quite an A+ for a reason I’ll mention next.

Recruiting
Sark made an early strategic recruiting decision - accepting the pledge of quarterback Maalik Murphy - that I think is hurting recruiting overall. It’s not Murphy himself, it’s that a lot of priority kids inside state boundaries don’t know Murphy, so there’s no QB for native Texans to rally around. Not waiting on Cade Klubnik could be a large mistake, not just at the position but also because of the other recruiting ramifications. In all, Texas has a solid class right now. But, yes, it could have been better. Give him and the staff a B- thus far. Sark’s going to have to rely on his style of play to help sell recruits because no single coach is killing it on the recruiting trail.

Handling the media
I think he’s such a distinctly different voice from his immediate predecessor that it’s refreshing. He doesn’t try to coachsplain every answer and talk down to reporters. Yet, I’m not sure Sark has used the media to his advantage quite yet either. Give him a B or B+.

Handling the QB dilemma/Is the job too big for him
It’s less than two weeks until the Horns take on Louisiana. And we still don’t know who the starter will be. Perhaps that’s good. Naming a starter too early could have cost the Horns a key back-up to the portal early in the process, which would have been catastrophic. I feel like Sark has made it a real competition. Whoever comes out on top is the one who deserves it, an important distinction for the single most important position in the game. Time will tell if he chooses wisely. But he’s kept to a plan. That shows the job’s not too big for Sark on the micro-level at QB or the macro-level for the team. I think he very well could be the man for the job; he certainly deserves a solid A-/B+ thus far.

Sark’s handling of the team and program thus far seems to have been wise. There have been some hiccups in recruiting. But those are not insurmountable, not if his team shows well this season.

So all that’s left to see are the results.

The grading truly starts in just 12 more days

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Mo Horn said:

Practice this week should answer the starting qb question. If Sark has decided, in his mind, then whoever gets the majority of reps with the 1s this week is probably the one. 

Aren’t they doing the game day simulation this week for the 3rd and final scrimmage? I’d assume you’d have the beginning of the two deep officially in place with Louisiana being next weekend and sark saying they’ll start preparing for them 2 weeks out.