2021 Fall Camp Thread - Bend Over & I’ll Continue Showing You

BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bobby

According to coach Steve Sarkisian, the Saturday scrimmage, the first of fall camp, did little to separate the two quarterbacks vying for the starting role.

Neither Casey Thompson nor Hudson Card played well enough in the eyes of the coach.

Yet it wasn’t just the QBs that struggled. It was nearly the entire offense.

The offensive line specifically looked porous in pass protection. The wide receiver group, with Josh Moore and Kelvontay Dixon sidelined due to injury, is painfully thin after Jordan Whittington and freshman Xavier Worthy.

Poor protection and a receiver group that struggles to get separation will make for a long day for any quarterback.

Some noted high points from observers:

- Keilan Robinson, the transfer running back from Alabama, is going to be a factor for this offense. He’s talented, fast and tough.

- The defensive front was raved about again and again. Is that a byproduct of poor OL play? “I’d put our D-line up against anybody’s. They can come at you in waves,” one source said.

- Luke Brockermeyer’s interception of Casey Thompson was a textbook example of why the former walk-on linebacker is set to play heavy minutes for the Longhorns this season. He was in the right place at the right time, which has been a consistent character trait this pre-season.

- Card led the offense’s most impressive drive of the day.

- Freshman running back Jonathan Brooks also raised some eyebrows with his ability, both between the tackles and on the outside.

Given neither quarterback separated himself from the other, what’s next for Sarkisian and the Longhorns?

More practice. And more hope that one of the two remove all doubt in the next week or so, so the Horns can begin game prep for Louisiana with a QB starter named.

So run the wishbone?

The Robinson brothers behind Johnson and Thompson

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

This is my concern. I think our OL will be a weak unit so hopefully we can scheme around that

Our IDL is an incredibly talented group - regardless of whether or not this OL is 'good' - they are going to struggle in matchups against Coburn, Sweat, and Ojomo.  But yes I expect that Sark is going to have to use play-action, RPO's, and getting these QB's outside the pocket to give the OL some help.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Out IDL is an incredibly talented group - regardless of whether or not this OL is 'good' - they are going to struggle in matchups against Coburn, Sweat, and Ojomo.  But yes I expect that Sark is going to have to use play-action, RPO's, and getting these QB's outside the pocket to give the OL some help.

I think once they decide the QB and start preparing for Louisiana you'll get better OL play because the consistency of the QB instead of the rotation. You got two different types of QBs back there in terms of decision making and getting the ball out. Once the line gets used to the one guy and how the offensive will look with that guy the better they will develop. Just hope they improve every week is the goal as should be for the entire team. We want to be better at the end of the season than the beginning. Eventually that gap will shrink in terms of getting better from beginning to end as we develop and recruit talent.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Our IDL is an incredibly talented group - regardless of whether or not this OL is 'good' - they are going to struggle in matchups against Coburn, Sweat, and Ojomo.  But yes I expect that Sark is going to have to use play-action, RPO's, and getting these QB's outside the pocket to give the OL some help.

Pretty much this. I’d be curious to know how much of the OL struggles are getting beat on the edge versus inside. Seems like most of the practice talk has been interior pressure, which doesn’t tell us a ton about the OL because just about any OL in the country would struggle when facing Ojomo-Coburn and Sweat-Collins as the two deep. 

Also, like you said, Sark is going to do a lot to protect the OL through scheme and opponent-specific game plans. He’s not emptying the bag against our D in practice. 

it’s entirely possible our OL will suck, but these 9.95er practice reports don’t really tell us a whole lot either way. We’re mostly just going to have to wait and see come September.

Or you know, go full Surly and declare the sky is falling right now. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 9

If you are interested... stuff on TEXAS scrimmage (probably all the info is from FCB)

Texas part starts around 10:45 mark

Late Kick Live Ep 165: Major Scrimmage Intel | Texas Offense | UGA & Arik Gilbert | Camp Whispers

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Is our OL the same one that started against Colorado? Shouldn't we feel a little better based on an actual game performance?

I posted a while back, but we averaged 5.3 yards per rush last year and that's factoring in all of Sam's sacks.  I think we can absolutely improve on that number.  Just for comparison, the greatest aggy team in 80 years averaged 5.6 yards per rush and Mond was sacked much less than Sam.

• Like 1

IT Scoop

IT caught up with some program sources regarding the current status of the team. Nobody is hitting the panic button on the offense, but there is clearly work to be done on the Steve Sarkisian side of the ball. Our intel tells us the offense had a much better day during Friday’s practice than Saturday’s scrimmage. So if you’re hoping for some piece of mind regarding QB and OL play, hold on to that morsel.

What We Know

It’s early in camp so it’s hard to definitively know things. However, here is what our sources are most confident about regarding the 2021 Longhorns.

- The defensive line sets the tone for the rest of the defense, and given the leadership, it’s probably accurate to say it sets the tone for the program. Leaders include Keondre Coburn, Ray Thornton, and Ben Davis.

- All the other positions on the defense benefit from the guys up front, but those groups are playing well in their own right. Communication — a very underrated aspect of football — between the linebackers and secondary is constantly improving. It’s early in camp but there’s already a lot of confidence regarding the defense being on the same page.

- From the player perspective there is an abundance of confidence in the coaches “transforming them from a college program into having a professional mindset.” Not every practice is perfect but the coaches get the most out of the players each and every day. It was hot, hot, hot on Saturday but the effort level was there. These guys are working.

- Despite the defensive line getting the better of the offensive line, this team is going to be able to run the ball. When asked how the source could know that he just responded with “Bijan.” 

- Depth is strong at DL and DB. Backups aren’t just viewed as depth but in many cases starter quality. Having bodies doesn’t always equal quality depth, but Texas has it in those two places. Look at nickel as an example: Texas has at least three guys who could start right now in Anthony Cook, Chris Adimora, or Jerrin Thompson.

What We Think We Know

- Sources are optimistic the passing game will come around, in large part due to scheming and play design. “If Sarkisian wants to get a player open he’ll figure out a way to do it. His use of motion to get the defense to show its hand does a lot of work for him. I feel confident they’ll get the RPO game going.”

- Tangential to the above, intentional play calling was mentioned as something the source was confident would improve the offense. As @UTexasfootball mentioned, right now they’re running plays, not an offense. Much of the team action has been situational. The play caller — Steve Sarkisian — getting in a rhythm will have the offense looking more coordinated.

- There’s an early group of true freshman who are looking like future long-term contributors. Names we’re hearing the most: WR Xavier Worthy, DL Byron Murphy, J-OLB Barryn Sorrell, OL Hayden Conner, LB Terrence Cooks, TE Gunnar Helm, TE Juan Davis, and RB Jonathon Brooks.

- We think concerns over edge play are probably overblown in part due to the emergence of transfers Ovie Oghoufo and Ben Davis. 

What We Have No Clue About

- The zero sum nature of camp makes it hard to know where the defensive line’s quality play ends and the offensive line’s struggles begin. At a minimum the defensive line is good, but how good (or bad) is the offensive line? That’s much more of an unknown. Sources think it will be better than league average but that can’t be known given current struggles with the d-line.

- Who will take control of the quarterback competition. It’s one thing for us to make an educated guess based on our info but entirely another to claim to know for sure. Both quarterbacks are said to be thinking too much. The first quarterback to let it rip is going to be the starter.

- How the team responds week in and week out is a total unknown. How will they deal with both success and adversity? It seems like a mentally prepared, focused team but that won’t be revealed for another month.

- Game planning was also mentioned as a total unknown. There’s confidence this staff will put the players in the best position to win week to week but it is a new staff, in a new and challenging conference, that’s driven by quality coaching.

8 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Is our OL the same one that started against Colorado? Shouldn't we feel a little better based on an actual game performance?

In theory, it should be better. Kerstetter was out hurt so his playing RT *should* be an upgrade. I don't care what practice reports say, I'm dubious as hell about Christian Jones playing LT. He was a fucking turnstile for most of last year on the right side, and now he gets to lineup against the opposition's best pass rusher? I thought Karic was pretty solid at LT both against CU and against a really good line in KSU, and of course Majors was a revelation at C. I probably just have Herb Hand (and Derek Warehime and Tim Nunez and Clovis Hale, etc.) PTSD, but I'm a big believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I feel like Flood is moving all of these guys around in an effort to fit his preconceived idea of what his line should look like. I hope to hell he gets this shit right.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

In theory, it should be better. Kerstetter was out hurt so his playing RT *should* be an upgrade. I don't care what practice reports say, I'm dubious as hell about Christian Jones playing LT. He was a fucking turnstile for most of last year on the right side, and now he gets to lineup against the opposition's best pass rusher? I thought Karic was pretty solid at LT both against CU and against a really good line in KSU, and of course Majors was a revelation at C. I probably just have Herb Hand (and Derek Warehime and Tim Nunez and Clovis Hale, etc.) PTSD, but I'm a big believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I feel like Flood is moving all of these guys around in an effort to fit his preconceived idea of what his line should look like. I hope to hell he gets this shit right.

He clearly knows what he’s doing, but Flood wouldn’t be the first coach to try and start first off the bus, practice warriors over game performers. 

Competition will reveal all. 

On 8/14/2021 at 10:55 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

580001A9-F9BD-4551-A94C-F097C10E352E.jpeg

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

- Who will take control of the quarterback competition. It’s one thing for us to make an educated guess based on our info but entirely another to claim to know for sure. Both quarterbacks are said to be thinking too much. The first quarterback to let it rip is going to be the starter.

48 hours apart from the same damn website.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

IT Scoop

IT caught up with some program sources regarding the current status of the team. Nobody is hitting the panic button on the offense, but there is clearly work to be done on the Steve Sarkisian side of the ball. Our intel tells us the offense had a much better day during Friday’s practice than Saturday’s scrimmage. So if you’re hoping for some piece of mind regarding QB and OL play, hold on to that morsel.

What We Know

It’s early in camp so it’s hard to definitively know things. However, here is what our sources are most confident about regarding the 2021 Longhorns.

- The defensive line sets the tone for the rest of the defense, and given the leadership, it’s probably accurate to say it sets the tone for the program. Leaders include Keondre Coburn, Ray Thornton, and Ben Davis.

- All the other positions on the defense benefit from the guys up front, but those groups are playing well in their own right. Communication — a very underrated aspect of football — between the linebackers and secondary is constantly improving. It’s early in camp but there’s already a lot of confidence regarding the defense being on the same page.

- From the player perspective there is an abundance of confidence in the coaches “transforming them from a college program into having a professional mindset.” Not every practice is perfect but the coaches get the most out of the players each and every day. It was hot, hot, hot on Saturday but the effort level was there. These guys are working.

- Despite the defensive line getting the better of the offensive line, this team is going to be able to run the ball. When asked how the source could know that he just responded with “Bijan.” 

- Depth is strong at DL and DB. Backups aren’t just viewed as depth but in many cases starter quality. Having bodies doesn’t always equal quality depth, but Texas has it in those two places. Look at nickel as an example: Texas has at least three guys who could start right now in Anthony Cook, Chris Adimora, or Jerrin Thompson.

What We Think We Know

- Sources are optimistic the passing game will come around, in large part due to scheming and play design. “If Sarkisian wants to get a player open he’ll figure out a way to do it. His use of motion to get the defense to show its hand does a lot of work for him. I feel confident they’ll get the RPO game going.”

- Tangential to the above, intentional play calling was mentioned as something the source was confident would improve the offense. As @UTexasfootball mentioned, right now they’re running plays, not an offense. Much of the team action has been situational. The play caller — Steve Sarkisian — getting in a rhythm will have the offense looking more coordinated.

- There’s an early group of true freshman who are looking like future long-term contributors. Names we’re hearing the most: WR Xavier Worthy, DL Byron Murphy, J-OLB Barryn Sorrell, OL Hayden Conner, LB Terrence Cooks, TE Gunnar Helm, TE Juan Davis, and RB Jonathon Brooks.

- We think concerns over edge play are probably overblown in part due to the emergence of transfers Ovie Oghoufo and Ben Davis. 

- The zero sum nature of camp makes it hard to know where the defensive line’s quality play ends and the offensive line’s struggles begin. At a minimum the defensive line is good, but how good (or bad) is the offensive line? That’s much more of an unknown. Sources think it will be better than league average but that can’t be known given current struggles with the d-line.

- How the team responds week in and week out is a total unknown. How will they deal with both success and adversity? It seems like a mentally prepared, focused team but that won’t be revealed for another month.

- Game planning was also mentioned as a total unknown. There’s confidence this staff will put the players in the best position to win week to week but it is a new staff, in a new and challenging conference, that’s driven by quality coaching.

Does “I feel confident they’ll get and RPO game going” bother anyone? Granted the last time I actually played football was in high school in the 90’s (I fucked like a boss, btw), but shouldn’t we feel confident about RPO game plan and tactics now? Is that something installed during season as you put shit on tape?

Back in my day we had RP but no O. Bud Gilmer was our coach. We tore down his statue in the end, but that a story for another thread. Modern football knowledge appreciated  

Everything else seems like it’s normal and/or boner inducing. Thanks for sharing. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

Does “I feel confident they’ll get and RPO game going” bother anyone? Granted the last time I actually played football was in high school in the 90’s (I fucked like a boss, btw), but shouldn’t we feel confident about RPO game plan and tactics now? Is that something installed during season as you put shit on tape?

Back in my day we had RP but no O. Bud Gilmer was our coach. We tore down his statue in the end, but that a story for another thread. Modern football knowledge appreciated  

Everything else seems like it’s normal and/or boner inducing. Thanks for sharing. 

They explain why in the article - it's about getting in the rhythm of the drive and building situational playcalls on top of each other instead of just running stuff into a defense that's seen it all already in a scrimmage.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

Did Sark not make any attempt to get any o-line difference makers out of the transfer portal?

Were no quality options available?

I want to trust Sark, but how can he look at this shitshow of an offensive line and not get aggressive, like he did with LB/DE? 

Just now, JFKFC said:

Did Sark not make any attempt to get any o-line difference makers out of the transfer portal?

I want to trust Sark, but how can he look at this shitshow of an offensive line and not get aggressive, like he did with LB/DE? 

I think Wanya Morris was the only portal OL who was worth trying to pursue at the time, if I remember correctly 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

LB/Edge was in far worse shape than OL. 

OL is also probably the toughest position to find immediate impact guys in the portal. I wouldn't call the OL a shitshow either. We got guys entering their 3rd year starting in Angilau and Kerstetter (back at his correct positon), a multi-year starter in Okafor, another returning starter in Jones and Majors who played very well when given the opportunity. The elite talent may not be there but it's the best depth we've had at the position in a long time.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, TankedBevo said:

I think Wanya Morris was the only portal OL who was worth trying to pursue at the time, if I remember correctly 

There were a couple decent C/Gs - one went to ND (understandable) - a decent OT followed Leipold from Buffalo to Kansas. Weak year for OL transfers generally.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Christian Jones was good in the spring game

• Like 1

If ITs previous reporting on the QB battle was correct then this all seems like its been a summer long ploy to keep Casey from transferring. I believe he really had a shot but based on reports from all of the insiders then this has been locked up for a couple weeks at a minimum. 

• Hook 'Em 1