2021 Fall Camp Thread - Bend Over & I’ll Continue Showing You

BurntOrange&White

This is the new normal everywhere. Loser of the QB Competition portals and the program is left with the winner and a true freshman.

It's happened at Bama, Ohio State and Clemson. The difference is, their true freshman QBs are 5 star recruits that are ready to play early. 

I like Charles Wright, and I'm rooting for him, but Texas can't take contingency plan QBs ever again. 

I'm patiently waiting for Gundy to randomly run into Charles Thompson at the OKC Airport. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Did Sark not make any attempt to get any o-line difference makers out of the transfer portal?
Were no quality options available?
I want to trust Sark, but how can he look at this shitshow of an offensive line and not get aggressive, like he did with LB/DE? 
O-line don't often transfer, probably wasnt a lot of quality available..but idk for sure.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cashcar said:

Mac Jones was a 3 star

The only reason Mac Jones played as a sophomore was because Tua got hurt. Tua of course beat out Jalen Hurts who transferred. 

Credit to Bryce Young for sticking around after losing QB1 to Mac Jones. Jones was far from a sure thing to leave after his junior season. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

This is the new normal everywhere. Loser of the QB Competition portals and the program is left with the winner and a true freshman.

It's happened at Bama, Ohio State and Clemson. The difference is, their true freshman QBs are 5 star recruits that are ready to play early. 

I like Charles Wright, and I'm rooting for him, but Texas can't take contingency plan QBs ever again. 

I'm patiently waiting for Gundy to randomly run into Charles Thompson at the OKC Airport. 

Disagree. You take the contingency plan QB so that in 3 years they are a red shirt junior and when your backup QB transfers out you have better than a true freshman to replace him if the starter goes down.  Nobody is going to be scared off from Charles Wright. You take one of those guys every 3 or 4 years.  Then, maybe every now and again you get lucky and the guy is Colt McCoy.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Disagree. You take the contingency plan QB so that in 3 years they are a red shirt junior and when your backup QB transfers out you have better than a true freshman to replace him if the starter goes down.  Nobody is going to be scared off from Charles Wright. You take one of those guys every 3 or 4 years.  Then, maybe every now and again you get lucky and the guy is Colt McCoy.  

Sure, but it is Wright going to wait 3-5 years to start? There's a lot on pressure on these players. College coaches reach out to high school coaches and start asking questions like is he happy? The high school coach contacts the parents, and here we go with the portal. 

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Sure, but it is Wright going to wait 3-5 years to start? There's a lot on pressure on these players. College coaches reach out to high school coaches and start asking questions like is he happy? The high school coach contacts the parents, and here we go with the portal. 

I would think so. I would think the main thing you are looking at from that spot is will he keep his mouth shut, learn the playbook, be a good teammate and understand that his job is to carry the clipboard, appear late in blowouts, and be the guy ready to keep the show on the road as best as he can if the starter gets hurt before they can get the younger and more talented guy up to speed.
Being the backup QB at UT is awesome when UT is going well. All the ass you can slay. Big man on campus- we have backups that get signed to modeling contracts or tacky Dallas housewives shows- you will be well taken care of and a cult hero.  

Again- this isn't a 5 star guy doing this- it's a 3 star guy. I'd take that college career as a 3 star all day every day over going to a G5 place and being the guy.  Would everyone think this way? No. But there are enough people that do think this way that you can find one every 3rd or 4th year.  

Basically you become the NFL version of Colt McCoy or Giblert senior.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cashcar said:

Mac Jones was a 3 star

let's dig a little deeper into this:

Mac Jones:

• 3*
  • composite score of .8815
  • composite #399 overall, #18 pro style QB and #52 in Florida
  • Offers from Bama, Kentucky, Boston College, Baylor, Cal, Mizzou, OkState, Ole Miss, A&M, Washington State, West Virginia, Florida, South Carolina

Charles Wright

• 3*
  • composite score of .8572
  • composite #896 overall, #59 QB and #130 in Texas
  • Offers from Texas, Iowa State, Arky, UL-La, NC State, Texas State, UTSA, Rice, SMU, TCU

There is a huge fucking gulf between the two based on ratings and offer list. Let's not act like just because 2 dudes are white QBs and 3*s that they are anywhere close to the same.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I would think so. I would think the main thing you are looking at from that spot is will he keep his mouth shut, learn the playbook, be a good teammate and understand that his job is to carry the clipboard, appear late in blowouts, and be the guy ready to keep the show on the road as best as he can if the starter gets hurt before they can get the younger and more talented guy up to speed.
Being the backup QB at UT is awesome when UT is going well. All the ass you can slay. Big man on campus- we have backups that get signed to modeling contracts or tacky Dallas housewives shows- you will be well taken care of and a cult hero.  

Again- this isn't a 5 star guy doing this- it's a 3 star guy. I'd take that college career as a 3 star all day every day over going to a G5 place and being the guy.  Would everyone think this way? No. But there are enough people that do think this way that you can find one every 3rd or 4th year.  

Basically you become the NFL version of Colt McCoy or Giblert senior.  

I would bet cash money that Wright's coaches at Austin High are going to start receiving inquiries from college coaches after this season. I'm sure Matt Campbell wouldn't mind having him back in the fold. 

My point is, in the portal era you can't count on guys waiting their turn. The flip side is you can use the portal to grab a new starting QB or some depth. 

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

IT Scoop

IT caught up with some program sources regarding the current status of the team. Nobody is hitting the panic button on the offense, but there is clearly work to be done on the Steve Sarkisian side of the ball. Our intel tells us the offense had a much better day during Friday’s practice than Saturday’s scrimmage. So if you’re hoping for some piece of mind regarding QB and OL play, hold on to that morsel.

What We Know

It’s early in camp so it’s hard to definitively know things. However, here is what our sources are most confident about regarding the 2021 Longhorns.

- The defensive line sets the tone for the rest of the defense, and given the leadership, it’s probably accurate to say it sets the tone for the program. Leaders include Keondre Coburn, Ray Thornton, and Ben Davis.

- All the other positions on the defense benefit from the guys up front, but those groups are playing well in their own right. Communication — a very underrated aspect of football — between the linebackers and secondary is constantly improving. It’s early in camp but there’s already a lot of confidence regarding the defense being on the same page.

- From the player perspective there is an abundance of confidence in the coaches “transforming them from a college program into having a professional mindset.” Not every practice is perfect but the coaches get the most out of the players each and every day. It was hot, hot, hot on Saturday but the effort level was there. These guys are working.

- Despite the defensive line getting the better of the offensive line, this team is going to be able to run the ball. When asked how the source could know that he just responded with “Bijan.” 

- Depth is strong at DL and DB. Backups aren’t just viewed as depth but in many cases starter quality. Having bodies doesn’t always equal quality depth, but Texas has it in those two places. Look at nickel as an example: Texas has at least three guys who could start right now in Anthony Cook, Chris Adimora, or Jerrin Thompson.

What We Think We Know

- Sources are optimistic the passing game will come around, in large part due to scheming and play design. “If Sarkisian wants to get a player open he’ll figure out a way to do it. His use of motion to get the defense to show its hand does a lot of work for him. I feel confident they’ll get the RPO game going.”

- Tangential to the above, intentional play calling was mentioned as something the source was confident would improve the offense. As @UTexasfootball mentioned, right now they’re running plays, not an offense. Much of the team action has been situational. The play caller — Steve Sarkisian — getting in a rhythm will have the offense looking more coordinated.

- There’s an early group of true freshman who are looking like future long-term contributors. Names we’re hearing the most: WR Xavier Worthy, DL Byron Murphy, J-OLB Barryn Sorrell, OL Hayden Conner, LB Terrence Cooks, TE Gunnar Helm, TE Juan Davis, and RB Jonathon Brooks.

- We think concerns over edge play are probably overblown in part due to the emergence of transfers Ovie Oghoufo and Ben Davis. 

What We Have No Clue About

- The zero sum nature of camp makes it hard to know where the defensive line’s quality play ends and the offensive line’s struggles begin. At a minimum the defensive line is good, but how good (or bad) is the offensive line? That’s much more of an unknown. Sources think it will be better than league average but that can’t be known given current struggles with the d-line.

- Who will take control of the quarterback competition. It’s one thing for us to make an educated guess based on our info but entirely another to claim to know for sure. Both quarterbacks are said to be thinking too much. The first quarterback to let it rip is going to be the starter.

- How the team responds week in and week out is a total unknown. How will they deal with both success and adversity? It seems like a mentally prepared, focused team but that won’t be revealed for another month.

- Game planning was also mentioned as a total unknown. There’s confidence this staff will put the players in the best position to win week to week but it is a new staff, in a new and challenging conference, that’s driven by quality coaching.

TLDR version:

- offense needs work

- it's early in camp and we don't know shit

- DL are best ever

- Coaches are best ever

-Sark is genius so offense will be good

- bunch of other shit we have no clue about and admit it 

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I would bet cash money that Wright's coaches at Austin High are going to start receiving inquiries from college coaches after this season. I'm sure Matt Campbell wouldn't mind having him back in the fold. 

My point is, in the portal era you can't count on guys waiting their turn. The flip side is you can use the portal to grab a new starting QB or some depth. 

You're not going to consistently add depth at QB via the portal, for the same arguments you're attempting to make for why someone like Wright will leave 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

Did Sark not make any attempt to get any o-line difference makers out of the transfer portal?

I want to trust Sark, but how can he look at this shitshow of an offensive line and not get aggressive, like he did with LB/DE? 

Maybe they didn't view the Oline as being the biggest problem, maybe it's the receivers and depth at receiver and the QB...

Out of the best receivers, 1 is banged up, 1 is recovering from a bad knee injury, and the other J Whitt can't  stay healthy once the Season starts.  We have a freshman who has never taken a college snap, and they moved Schooler to defense. 

Seems like they should have hit the portal for Receiver help...

Edited by Azbadlands

1 minute ago, ousux said:
41 minutes ago, Foosters said:
Saban lost 7 games his first year at bama

As hard as it is to believe now, Bama wasnt in great shape back then...maybe even as bad as we were during the Charlie Strong debacle.

And it took Saban, what, six or seven games before he figured out the coin toss rules?

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

12 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm not sure that college coaches have Austin High's number.

• Haha 5
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Sir Ulrich said:

If ITs previous reporting on the QB battle was correct then this all seems like its been a summer long ploy to keep Casey from transferring. I believe he really had a shot but based on reports from all of the insiders then this has been locked up for a couple weeks at a minimum. 

It’s also certainly possible that Sark wanted to give Thompson every opportunity to compete and win the job. So far, it doesn’t look like he took advantage of that opportunity. I don’t think it’s been locked up for weeks. IT has been projecting Card the starter because they think he is the better player. 

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Thomson would be third at best on the Oklahoma State depth chart right now. He should wait and transfer inJanuary because there isn’t a school out there waiting for a non elite QB prospect to come in and be the unquestioned starter right now. 

Just now, Newy25 said:

Thomson would be third at best on the Oklahoma State depth chart right now. He should wait and transfer inJanuary because there isn’t a school out there waiting for a non elite QB prospect to come in and be the unquestioned starter right now. 

Agreed on waiting until January. Not that it matters, but I believe he’s already graduated. Thompson could leave school and go train Kelly Bryant style. 

I know Surly would never do this, but what if we’re overreacting and really they just changed the practice model so each guy gets a full day each with the 1s? I think the Colts are doing this with Sam/Eason.
When have you ever known the cool, level headed posters here to overreact to anything?

2 minutes ago, Cashcar said:

yet, the fact remains they were both 3 stars. Nice job on the research though. I'd love to land a 4 star or 5 star QB every year, however, there are a fair number of 3 star QBs who've turned in excellent careers. 

since this concept seems confusing to you I am going to give you an example from last year's State of Texas class.

the top rated 3* per the composite was someone named Jacob Rodriguez who went to Va Tech, ranked #52 in the state and #376 in the composite. He was just ahead of Hal Presley, Hayden Conner and Byron Murphy II.

Trevor Woods was a Safety who went to Colorado. He was a 3* ranked #142 in the State and #997 in the composite.

the lowest ranked 3* in Texas was someone named John Burriss III ranked #364 in the State and went to UTEP.

the band of being a 3* is very, very large. in Texas alone it was 312 players in 2021.

acting like John Burriss III is the same as say Byron Murphy II is something someone who doesn't know jack shit about recruiting would say. This is is like when TCU fans kept saying they would rather have 3* with a good motor than a 5* prima donna.

there is a huge huge huge gulf between a guy with offers from Texas, ISU and basically no one else and barely makes the top 1000 nationally vs a guy with offers from half the SEC who is also a top 400 prospect in the country.

yes, there are a ton of 3*s every year. Texas had 18 of them in 2021 alone...but stop acting like Mac Jones, a (very) high 3* with committable SEC offers is anywhere close to #342 in Texas, 3* Jakolby Longino who picked UTEP over Lamar and PV A&M. They are both rated 3*s and that is the only thing that is alike between them.

• Hook 'Em 4

28 minutes ago, NoName said:

let's dig a little deeper into this:

Mac Jones:

• 3*
  • composite score of .8815
  • composite #399 overall, #18 pro style QB and #52 in Florida
  • Offers from Bama, Kentucky, Boston College, Baylor, Cal, Mizzou, OkState, Ole Miss, A&M, Washington State, West Virginia, Florida, South Carolina

Charles Wright

• 3*
  • composite score of .8572
  • composite #896 overall, #59 QB and #130 in Texas
  • Offers from Texas, Iowa State, Arky, UL-La, NC State, Texas State, UTSA, Rice, SMU, TCU

There is a huge fucking gulf between the two based on ratings and offer list. Let's not act like just because 2 dudes are white QBs and 3*s that they are anywhere close to the same.

I think its hilarious that you think the shitheads who rank high school kids can tell the difference between the 400th best and the 900th.  There are sure fire 5 star, high 4 stars, and then everyone else.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Agreed on waiting until January. Not that it matters, but I believe he’s already graduated. Thompson could leave school and go train Kelly Bryant style. 

He does not have the same kind of resume as Bryant to pull that move off. If he makes a business decision and not an emotional decision (assuming he is in fact the backup) his best move would be to stay this fall and be one injury or bad game away from playing. At worst, he continues to train and develop under Sark and he can pick another place to play at in January. At best, he’s playing and starting at some point. If he leaves now he has to make a quick decision on where to go, he could very well wind up in an even worse position. I would wait it out and see what the landscape looks like after players declare for the draft and pick my next school then. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

Are we really going to buy into all the 9.95 bullshit reports?

Of course we’re going to hear shit sucks all over. Got to control the narrative and not give any info that could be used against us.

Let them take the field in competition, then start to evaluate. Until then, take the 9.95 stuff with a cup of salt. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

In general I agree, but I do not think Charles Wright, specifically, flipped from Matt Campbell to Texas the day he got the offer because he was under the impression he was going to get a shot to play early. Casey Thompson and Hudson Card were both on campus already. Sometimes the local three-star wants to stay home, play school, and is okay with the shot at PT coming later.

Edited by gmr548
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Colt was a contingency plan. Honestly, I feel like Wright was a really good eval and if you were to tell me he was a high four star I wouldn't really argue. I think he is going to contribute before Murphy ever does. 

• Hook 'Em 3