Dallas Cowboys 2021 Regular Season Thread -- Money, Masks, & Masochism

Patrick Bateman

14 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Rams aren't doing anything they did not already do with Goff. McVey is the common denominator. Stafford didn't do shit in Detroit and now Goff isn't. Switch both of them and the Rams are doing what they have been doing this whole time which is win games. Are you already forgetting the 2018 season under Goff? They also got to the divisional round last year. You are acting like Stafford took over some shit team and instantly elevated them.

Goff has not been the same since McVay basically announced he had no faith in him in the SB with that terrible game plan. Rams won last year almost entirely on the D. Goff 2018 32-12 TD-INT...2019 22-16 TD INT...2020 20-13 TD-INT.   Stafford already has 9 tds to 1 int..in 3 games.  The Rams offense is night and day different with Stafford compared to post SB Goff. 

6 hours ago, txbroadcaster said:

Goff has not been the same since McVay basically announced he had no faith in him in the SB with that terrible game plan. Rams won last year almost entirely on the D. Goff 2018 32-12 TD-INT...2019 22-16 TD INT...2020 20-13 TD-INT.   Stafford already has 9 tds to 1 int..in 3 games.  The Rams offense is night and day different with Stafford compared to post SB Goff. 

All while doing it without their rb who was on the verge of breaking out. Stafford is an MVP candidate. He won’t win it, but he’s in the discussion if he stays healthy. That’s how much better he is than Goff. But Vic will never admit that. It’s not in his character to admit when he’s wrong. 

• Haha 1

On a different note, maybe it’s recency bias but that was the most satisfying game from start to finish that we’ve had in a while. This team is good. This is the best set of coordinators we’ve had in a long ass time. Which is necessary considering McCarthy has one job on game day. Clock management. And he’s bottom 10% worst in the league. It’s laughable. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

On a different note, maybe it’s recency bias but that was the most satisfying game from start to finish that we’ve had in a while. This team is good. This is the best set of coordinators we’ve had in a long ass time. Which is necessary considering McCarthy has one job on game day. Clock management. And he’s bottom 10% worst in the league. It’s laughable. 

Quinn and Parsons may actually get these guys past the divisional round.  This D seems to cause turnovers which is huge.

19 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Quinn and Parsons may actually get these guys past the divisional round.  This D seems to cause turnovers which is huge.

And they're causing a lot of frustration for the offenses even when they aren't getting the turnover.   Pressuring nearly every play, generating a ton of offensive holding penalties, etc.  Diggy and Parsons are creating massive havoc.  Gregory played well last night too.  Imagine lining up DLaw and Parsons at end, Diggy and Gregory at T on 3rd and long situations once DLaw is back.  Talk about a massive amount of pressure on the offensive line to keep those 4 from getting home...

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I seriously doubt we will be saying that at year’s end. Tampa is still the team to beat. Then LA.  Then Green Bay.  Maybe reverse LA and GB. Then either Dallas or SF. Arizona and Carolina are fool’s gold. NO is being bolstered by Payton and won’t last. 

We all know one of the most important things in winning a championship is how the team is playing going into the playoffs. Health is the biggest mystery. If this team can stay healthy they should go far. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I seriously doubt we will be saying that at year’s end. Tampa is still the team to beat. Then LA.  Then Green Bay.  Maybe reverse LA and GB. Then either Dallas or SF. Arizona and Carolina are fool’s gold. NO is being bolstered by Payton and won’t last. 

I really think you're overating GB.  They got trounced by NO.  Had a tight game vs a not great 9ers squad and ARod isn't involving anyone consistently in the passing game besides D Adams.  If they play LA, it's not even close.  Have a guy like Ramsey shut him down and they don't have enough else. 

Diggs looks like prime Richard Sherman in Quinn's D.

I agreed with McCarthy running the clock down at the end of the half. They had the ball at midfield and we're looking at receiving the punt inside the 10 which is exactly where he caught it. We were in total control of the game and with that field position the risk of something happening to give them points and momentum was greater than the reward of working our ass up to pick up 50 yards or so for a chance at 3 more points. 

Now the question is, what do you do about Kellen Moore? We are kind of in the same situation when we had Parcells. Veteran coach. Young and upcoming OC. We stuck with Parcells and allowed Payton to walk. Do we do the same here? We gave Kellen a raise so the front office does see his value and knows teams are going to be calling his name when they have openings. He's really stepped it up since 2019. I think much of that is just being away from Garrett. Because even though the OC calls the plays, it's still Garrett's gameplan and playbook. It's night and day difference now that Garrett is gone. That fucktard was a huge cancer. And now the Giants are seeing the same thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Diggs looks like prime Richard Sherman in Quinn's D.

I agreed with McCarthy running the clock down at the end of the half. They had the ball at midfield and we're looking at receiving the punt inside the 10 which is exactly where he caught it. We were in total control of the game and with that field position the risk of something happening to give them points and momentum was greater than the reward of working our ass up to pick up 50 yards or so for a chance at 3 more points. 

Yep. The reverse of what happened game one against Louisiana.  Sark called timeout and Louisiana decides to go for it. Ended up giving points. 

Complaining about that call in a blowout win is just cheap content like you'd find on ESPN or something.

Man, I'm listening to David Moore detail the La'el Collins series of events to Robert Wilonsky on Intentional Grounding and I'm fucking amazed at how much of an absolute dumb fuck Collins is.  

• Negotiations between the league and Collins have been going on for at least 6 months now
  • As has been reported, Collins tried to bribe the sample taker. Collins reps say it was a joke. Claiming he never tested positive so why would he bribe the sample taker with any level of seriousness
  • Negotiations with the league eventually brought the suspension down from as many as 5 games, down to 3, and then ultimately settling all the way down to 2. 
  • Collins, being the ignoramus that he is, took this bit of lagniappe as a sign and attempted to double down on it. With the logic being that the grace displayed by league negotiators betrayed an admission that their argument was flawed. 
  • So it was actually Collins and his team who took the case to arbitration, believing that the suspension would evaporate into thin air leaving the public none the wiser. 
  • Fast forward to arbitration (which was purposely delayed by Collins' team to ensure that he played in game 1 against Tampa) and the arbitrator is shocked that, given the evidence, the NFL knocked down his suspension to 2 games. Disgusted, he rescinded the negotiated terms of 2 games and reinvoked the 5 game suspension.  
  • And to top it off, had Collins actually tested positive he wouldn't have even been suspended in the first placeThe only penalty is a fine. 
  • FUCKING DUMB ASS!!!
Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

3rd and 24 to close out the half against a hot team?  No. They’re running it to ensure we burn that last timeout. We probably end up with better field position, because I don’t even think they throw a screen.  It was dumb and no amount of terrible logic is going to work here. 

It was 4th and 5 on the 49 yard line.

34 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Christ dude you can’t be serious. Are you serious?

I'm saying the moment most people are complaining about was the 4th and 5 when McCarthy threw his hands up and said "I'm good".  And that's the moment I was comparing to the Texas-Louisiana game.

I get it if you're upset he didn't call timeout on 3rd down, but I get letting time run out and reducing their chances of catching a break before the half.

If this past draft has lessons in it. It’s that you continue to draft defense talent and shut down players.  Off wins games def wins championships it’s as old as time itself. If your first round player isn’t the best defender available then you Get the best O linemen we have the RBs we have the WRs. Keep building out that Def and let it carry you 

Terrance Steele has been impressive early too. Was hearing him talked about on the radio. During an interview he said he didn't realize how strong he needed to be in the NFL. Said he was big 12 strong not NFL strong. Kid said he spent a bulk load of time in the weight room this off season. Hopefully this early start is something he can keep building on. 

14 hours ago, fellside said:

I'm saying the moment most people are complaining about was the 4th and 5 when McCarthy threw his hands up and said "I'm good".  And that's the moment I was comparing to the Texas-Louisiana game.

I get it if you're upset he didn't call timeout on 3rd down, but I get letting time run out and reducing their chances of catching a break before the half.

You still always call the time out there. If you call the time out to stop the clock at about a minute left the other coach is almost always going to punt rather than risk giving you the ball in midfield with a minute left. 

If you let them run it all the way down to 20 seconds you increase the chance they go for it by a lot because giving you the ball at midfield with 13 or so seconds left is a much smaller risk. 

Not to mention it's never smart to feel safe with a first half lead and you should always look to add to it. And giving the ball back to Dak with a minute and a half and no timeouts is very reasonable to get 3 pts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, fellside said:

Yep. The reverse of what happened game one against Louisiana.  Sark called timeout and Louisiana decides to go for it. Ended up giving points. 

Complaining about that call in a blowout win is just cheap content like you'd find on ESPN or something.

People act like the decision was made when the Boys were down, or in a tight game. If you can go into half up 20-7, you definitely don't mind it.

People act like the decision was made when the Boys were down, or in a tight game. If you can go into half up 20-7, you definitely don't mind it.

No, you force the punt and get the ball back with more than a minute to go, especially because the Eagles were getting the ball to start the second half. Get the ball and if you get a positive play on first down, you go. If it fails, or you’re pinned deep you just kill the clock if you must. McCarthy again with clock mismanagement.

9 hours ago, Hermanator said:

You still always call the time out there. If you call the time out to stop the clock at about a minute left the other coach is almost always going to punt rather than risk giving you the ball in midfield with a minute left. 

If you let them run it all the way down to 20 seconds you increase the chance they go for it by a lot because giving you the ball at midfield with 13 or so seconds left is a much smaller risk. 

Not to mention it's never smart to feel safe with a first half lead and you should always look to add to it. And giving the ball back to Dak with a minute and a half and no timeouts is very reasonable to get 3 pts. 

Besides the possibility of a big return where you only need a couple of additional plays to get in field goal range. To not even give your team that opportunity is mind boggling. There was literally no reason not to take the timeouts and see what happened 

4 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

You’re an idiot. You’ve exhibited this time and again. Anyone defending McCarthy is an idiot. There’s no defense for what he did(n’t) do. 

Whatever. I think it's hilarious that so little respect was had for the Eagles that they didn't even care about trying to score one more before half, because they knew that they would just continue kicking their asses in the second half.

First, it was dumb not to take the TO's on either 3rd or 4th down.  McCarthy is dumb. 

That said, everyone with any sense of football knowledge could tell after one half that the only way we lose that game to Hurts and Philly was to turn the ball over in our end multiple times or get strip sack TD/pick 6's.

This team seems good because the D appears to be much better.  I know Philly and Hurts are bad but we rarely see the cowboys dominate divisional opponents like that.

Quinn is doing a good job.  the cowboys issue for most of Jones' post Aikman years has been a shitty fucking defense.