Dallas Cowboys 2021 Regular Season Thread -- Money, Masks, & Masochism

Patrick Bateman

I’m telling you if they find a way to win next week(Bill isn’t going to let them run up and down the field) they’ll be in good shape after the bye.

Collins back on the OL. Maybe a change at Center. Gallup coming soon(we miss his deep threat imo).

On defense you’ll have Tank, Gallimore, Armstrong coming with Wilson, and the rookies at DB coming back.

Having a deeper pass rush/DL rotation will help keep guys fresh. And I’ve Joseph or Wright can get on the field it’ll push Anthony Brown down to 4th CB or at worst the 3rd boundary corner(since Lewis has the slot). Wilson is missed in the backfield.

• Hook 'Em 2

This cowboys team is looking real good and should be competitive in the playoffs.

The defense has improved TREMENDOUSLY from last year, both in scheme and in personnel. They aren’t elite, but diggs is and the turnovers aren’t flukes. They have enough good parts to make up for their weaknesses on D, and the safeties have been better than I expected. we should all be happy with diggs/parsons/Gregory and excited for when Lawrence comes back

On offense, the story has to be (1) dak is playing so good right now, competing for league mvp really. If he can keep this up the team can beat anyone. (2) the oline has stayed somewhat healthy and looks great compared to the last couple of seasons. The horse shit suspension of Lael is almost done and we’ll be a lot better with him out there. (3) skill positions, man do we have them. Zeke is killing it and I hope we spare him more carries, it’s really all about having a healthy crisp pair of rbs for December/January by not burning them up.

If I was looking for weaknesses I’d say CBs after diggs, center/left guard/defensive tackle, in that order.

After the horns clustershitfuckshow this weekend, the cowboys were the lone bright spot.

/over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/5/2021 at 11:49 AM, DougO said:

Anybody know where I can find a replay of the game? I missed most of it, mainly the good parts 2nd and 3rd quarters, due to some  terribly inconsiderate visitors that showed up and demanded my time, and have now been written out of the will. 

YouTube usually has one up. I haven’t checked yet for this game though

12 hours ago, Drew said:

I’m telling you if they find a way to win next week(Bill isn’t going to let them run up and down the field) they’ll be in good shape after the bye.

Collins back on the OL. Maybe a change at Center. Gallup coming soon(we miss his deep threat imo).

On defense you’ll have Tank, Gallimore, Armstrong coming with Wilson, and the rookies at DB coming back.

Having a deeper pass rush/DL rotation will help keep guys fresh. And I’ve Joseph or Wright can get on the field it’ll push Anthony Brown down to 4th CB or at worst the 3rd boundary corner(since Lewis has the slot). Wilson is missed in the backfield.

Gallup can take his sweet time as far as I'm concerned, Dalton Schultz has been paying off handsomely in fantasy football lol

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Aikman said during the game that the ways Diggs lets guys get open to bait throws that he can close and pick-off reminds him of Deion.

The way Troy was gushing at the end of the game made me almost misty. It's probably the most bought-in i've ever heard him about a Cowboys team.

• Hook 'Em 1

it's really nice knowing that we're not at a coaching disadvantage damn near every week like we were during the Garrett regime.  i'm not saying McCarthy is the second coming of Vince Lombardi or that he doesn't have room for improvement, but between McCarthy, Kellen Moore, and Dan Quinn, the Cowboys aren't going to get outcoached often.  with the coaches doing their jobs, it's on the players to execute.  and i feel good about that with the talent they have.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

it's really nice knowing that we're not at a coaching disadvantage damn near every week like we were during the Garrett regime.  i'm not saying McCarthy is the second coming of Vince Lombardi or that he doesn't have room for improvement, but between McCarthy, Kellen Moore, and Dan Quinn, the Cowboys aren't going to get outcoached often.  with the coaches doing their jobs, it's on the players to execute.  and i feel good about that with the talent they have.

Quinn makes a VAST difference over the zero we had last season.

21 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

I still think McCarthy is a lame duck coach, but I’ll at least give him credit for taking a back seat to Moore and Quinn and letting them really take over their side of the ball with very little intervention. 

Some interesting Dak stats (this is not a Dak criticism--happen to like him a lot):

Dallas is 4-11 (W/L) when Dak is asked to throw 40 plus times.

Dallas is 4/4 when Dak throws over 400 yards.

Dallas is 34/7 when Dak makes fewer than 32 throws. 

So as long as Zeke can do his part (or Pollard or a combo of RBs) we should be good. Just found the stats interesting. 

Stats are always misleading without full context. A good chunk of that came from 2016 when this offense was totally different. It was based on running the ball and Dak just being a bus driver type who picked his spots. Dak did not throw a whole lot that year from game to game. A lot of those losses was because this defense was some of the worst the league has to offer so we had to pretty much score every time we had the ball and force much more. 

Dak makes this offense run, not Zeke/Pollard. They compliment Dak, sure. Since running the ball can open up so much more.

But Dak has grown over the years and he can indeed easily win games on his own throwing a lot. Our offense was moving up and down the field against TB and Dak threw a ton. As did Brady. 

14 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Some interesting Dak stats (this is not a Dak criticism--happen to like him a lot):

Dallas is 4-11 (W/L) when Dak is asked to throw 40 plus times.

Dallas is 4/4 when Dak throws over 400 yards.

Dallas is 34/7 when Dak makes fewer than 32 throws. 

So as long as Zeke can do his part (or Pollard or a combo of RBs) we should be good. Just found the stats interesting. 

This isn’t unique to dak, but an artifact of how the game is played. Teams that are winning prefer to run the ball, teams that are losing must throw. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Stats are always misleading without full context. A good chunk of that came from 2016 when this offense was totally different. It was based on running the ball and Dak just being a bus driver type who picked his spots. Dak did not throw a whole lot that year from game to game. A lot of those losses was because this defense was some of the worst the league has to offer so we had to pretty much score every time we had the ball and force much more. 

Dak makes this offense run, not Zeke/Pollard. They compliment Dak, sure. Since running the ball can open up so much more.

But Dak has grown over the years and he can indeed easily win games on his own throwing a lot. Our offense was moving up and down the field against TB and Dak threw a ton. As did Brady. 

Dak is the most important player on offense and he’s playing as well as he’s ever played, but what makes this offense devastating is how we punish people with our run game. We beat people up with our run game, and make them give up. Teams can’t key on the run because of our dynamic passing game is, but the constant body shots from our run game just suck the will out of teams and IMO it’s what makes us different.

18 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Again this wasn't a critique of Dak just stats. I like Dak and have always been a fan...the point is Zeke kinda disappears a lot throughout all of that. So we need him to be present and badass to be NFC champs. 

We go as the oline goes. Zeke comes second to that.

21 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Williams was a fucking disaster in the one preseason game where he took snaps at center.

Williams is not strong enough to be center. He will get tons of pushback towards Dak too many times. Pressure right up the middle is the worst. Please god no Connor at  center.

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh man they big mad.

[QUOTE]
“I was pushing him around the whole game, so he was probably just mad about that,” Engram told the News on Wednesday. “It’s whatever.”
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]
“I wish I would have been there,” said right guard Will Hernandez, who didn’t see the Kearse punch when it happened. “But I heard about it afterwards. They told me. You know what? It’s great, because we play them again.”
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]
“I care very little for what they do and how they do things and how they conduct themselves on their team,” Hernandez said. “All I care about is our guys being good, our guys being not messed with, and us being healthy and ready to go.”
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]
“Tsh, we play them again in December. Simple as that,” Shepard said Wednesday.

“Losing sucks and losing to our rival sucks,” Engram said. “But the best thing about that is we’ll see them again.”[/QUOTE]

Oh man they big mad.

“I was pushing him around the whole game, so he was probably just mad about that,” Engram told the News on Wednesday. “It’s whatever.”

“I wish I would have been there,” said right guard Will Hernandez, who didn’t see the Kearse punch when it happened. “But I heard about it afterwards. They told me. You know what? It’s great, because we play them again.”

“I care very little for what they do and how they do things and how they conduct themselves on their team,” Hernandez said. “All I care about is our guys being good, our guys being not messed with, and us being healthy and ready to go.”

“Tsh, we play them again in December. Simple as that,” Shepard said Wednesday.

“Losing sucks and losing to our rival sucks,” Engram said. “But the best thing about that is we’ll see them again.”

So tyron with another neck injury. Feel bad for the guy bc he’s prob gonna have pain his whole life judging from the number of neck/back issues he’s had to deal with, that shit sucks.

Timing wise we’re getting Lael back and Steele has been competent. Maybe throw Lael to LT if tyron needs to recover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is it another neck injury for Tyron? Or simply a follow up MRI like Dak had on his ankle in the summer? It read favorable. Whatever that means. I think he will be fine but we really need to find his replacement sooner than later. Back/neck issues never seem to go away, especially back problems. I forget how young he is in terms of age. He reminds me of someone who is in their late 30s at the very end of their careers. Can't believe he has already been here a decade. 

No idea what 'favorable' means, although obviously could have been worse.  Tyron is incredible, truly a man amongst boys, but I fee like his back/neck is a ticking time bomb.  Have to hope he can stay healthy this year and need to draft his replacement next year.  Back/neck injuries typically don't just get better and go away forever.  The kid, Ball, who they drafted this year is already on the IL I believe.  I think for the year.

This is the best Cowboys offense I've ever seen. They shot themselves in the foot repeatedly today, were forced into being one-dimensional, sputtered on third down, and twice failed on fourth down, yet still amassed 567 yards of offense.

Defense is going to be the team's Achilles Heel and what will keep it from reaching the Super Bowl. But it should still be a fun ride.

(Also, it cannot be overstated how terrible the rest of the NFC East is. Playoffs are a lock provided Dak remains healthy.)

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1