2021 Houston Texans Ain't Shit Season Thread

Brothahorn

The Eagles beat writers actually think he was a solid player for them last year; the guy I heard felt that the QBR and completion percentage against was a little misleading because in their scheme he was mainly asked to keep everything in front of him and bend don’t break. May be bullshit, but FWIW. If he’s even slightly above average $5MM/year isn’t a bad deal at all. I’d still look to draft at least one CB in the first 3 rounds, and if all of the pass rushers, OLinemen, and top WRs are gone by #13 I think Trent McDuffie from Washington would be a good fit…

He’s an average to above average starting corner for cheap. It allows us to have King in slot where he excels and does nothing with regards to drafting young talent.

This was a good signing for us. We have quietly had a pretty good off-season. If we draft as well as we did last year and Mills doesn’t regress we will surprise some people this season.

You people will bitch about anything. 

• Like 1

The afternoon radio guys were complaining that the Texans could not take two players in the same position group (2 OL, DL, DB), and shouldn’t even take two players on the same side of the ball with #3 and #13. If there was ever a situation when you can truthfully say “draft best player available regardless of position”, it’s with this Texans roster. They should stay true to their draft board, whether they stay at 3/13 or trade one down. If the best guys available when they pick end up being Sauce and Stringley/Hamilton, or Neal and Cross, or some combination of Thibodeaux/Walker/Johnson/Davis, take the best players!

If they try to be cute and take a player at #3 that no mock has in the top 10, or pick a QB at either pick, people should burn NRG. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

The afternoon radio guys were complaining that the Texans could not take two players in the same position group (2 OL, DL, DB), and shouldn’t even take two players on the same side of the ball with #3 and #13. If there was ever a situation when you can truthfully say “draft best player available regardless of position”, it’s with this Texans roster. They should stay true to their draft board, whether they stay at 3/13 or trade one down. If the best guys available when they pick end up being Sauce and Stringley/Hamilton, or Neal and Cross, or some combination of Thibodeaux/Walker/Johnson/Davis, take the best players!

If they try to be cute and take a player at #3 that no mock has in the top 10, or pick a QB at either pick, people should burn NRG. 

Totally agree; no matter what position they play and regardless of who we’ve drafted earlier, the BPA when we’re up by definition is a position of need.

I think QB is an exception in the first 3 rounds, not because I’m sold on Mills (though I do think he should get the full year) but because this QB draft is full of reaches.

If we took Neal at #3 and somehow Charles Cross were there at #13 because of a run on rushers, DBs, and WRs, I’d take him in a heartbeat. A good OL is the best security blanket in the NFL.

At the same time, what if we took Hutchinson (won’t be there but whatever)/Thibodeaux/Walker with #3 and the BPA at #13 were Jordan Davis or Trent MuDuffie? We’d be morons to draft offense just to do it in that situation, but then we are talking about the Texans…

Edited by Ignatius
  • Like 1

I have no idea what the Texans do at #3. Could be one of 3 edge guys, 2 OT, 1 CB(Gardner) or trade down if available.  Should be a good player available at #13 especially if QB hungry teams panic, which always seems to happen. Wouldn’t be surprised if they they try to trade down for an extra 2nd rounder next year for extra ammo to move around in case they need to draft one of the QBs in 2023. 

I’d kill for Carolina or Atlanta to panic over getting a QB and deal #6/#8 plus their #1 next year to move up to #3. Given their prospects and ours for this coming season, we could be looking at having our pick of the QBs and Will Anderson….

Edited by Ignatius

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

I’d kill for Carolina or Atlanta to panic over getting a QB and deal #6/#8 plus their #1 next year to move up to #3. Given their prospects and ours for this coming season, we could be looking at having our pick of the QBs and Will Anderson….

Stroud or Young?

This seems like a bad draft if you want to trade down from top 5. There isn’t much consensus beyond Hutchison being in the top 2, Walker being a boom or blah talent that could go anywhere between #1 and #10, Sauce Gardner being the #1 CB and a top 5 pick, and Kyle Hamilton being every analyst’s wet dream prospect but he could slide into the teens because he ran slow and safety usually isn’t a game changer unless your name is Ed Reed, Troy Palumalo, or Earl Thomas. People say the Panthers or Falcons will take a QB or that NO might trade up for one, but NFL GMs aren’t THAT blind are they? I wouldn’t be surprised if Ridder or Corral ended up as the best QB, why burn a lot of draft capital on Malik Willis (primed to be a huge bust) or tiny hands Pickett?

From the Texans fan perspective, the radio guys are warning people to be prepared for a WTF pick at #3 like Jermaine Johnson or Charles Cross and the Caserio claiming that player was at the top of their board, they weren’t able to trade down a couple spots, and Houston feared the player wouldn’t be available at 13 so they went ahead and took them at 3. I’m so convinced they are retarded I would be happy with bland predictable (and perhaps small reach) picks like Evan Neal or Sauce at 3 and best available of Johnson, Stingley, Hamilton, Cross, or WR Garrett Wilson at 13. Hutchison won’t be there at 3, and IMO Travon Walker is too much of a gamble at 3 for a team so devoid of talent. 

Whomever Carolina drafts at QB will be a bust. Rhule and Ben McAdoo will fuck up anyone. Most teams don’t invest enough attention to great QB coaching and use it as a training spot for OC. Troy had Jerry Rhome and Norv. Romo had Wade Wilson. Dak had Kitna and blossomed. Then McCarthy didn’t even interview him or Dak and moved Nussmeier there. Dak has regressed to old Garrett/Linehan/Moore career back up bad habits.

The buzz is that both corners (Sauce and Stingley) and 2 or 3 of the top 3 OTs will be gone before #13, maybe by #10. NYG or NYJ would take Sauce, and SEA or NYJ would take Stingley. NYG and probably CAR want an OT. Everyone thinks WFT will take a WR at #11. Houston will probably have their choice of the best OT or CB on their board at #3, but who knows who the BPA will be at #13.

Theres also a lot of smoke that Houston likes Stingley (last played well as a freshman in 2019) over Sauce (no completions of >20 yards and no TDs allowed in his four year career) and would take Stingley at #3. I’m Sauce all day in this debate, so hopefully it’s a smokescreen and not Caserio being cute and thinking he’s smarter than everyone else.

If at #3 they go OT or Trayvon Walker if he falls, there’s a good chance they could trade up to #8 and still get Stingley, or stay at #13 and get the second WR off the board. If they would take Stingley or Evan Neal at #3, they should try to trade back a couple spots because neither of those guys are number one at their position for most teams.

• Hook 'Em 1

There are so many guys with great production without ideal size, going in the late first through the third round. And it seems like those guys always outperform expectations., like the modern day Dan Neil's.  Give me a team full of those guys and I would end up a lot better off than what the experts drum up.

7 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

The key to the Texans’ pick at 13 is if a couple of QBs get taken prior. And that probably happens. It seems that they are always taken earlier than projected. 

Or if the QBs fall and you can trade back, and pick up two more 1sts (one this year, one next year) and another two picks in this draft.

10 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Theres also a lot of smoke that Houston likes Stingley (last played well as a freshman in 2019) over Sauce (no completions of >20 yards and no TDs allowed in his four year career) and would take Stingley at #3. I’m Sauce all day in this debate, so hopefully it’s a smokescreen and not Caserio being cute and thinking he’s smarter than everyone else.

spacer.png

8 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Or if the QBs fall and you can trade back, and pick up two more 1sts (one this year, one next year) and another two picks in this draft.

You are overvaluing pick 13 unless you are moving way back in round in 1

Edited by TonyTexas

8 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

This is normally right except this year there is a fall off in talent in the late teens. Your scenario (to get a 2023 first) would mean they traded back from #13 to the late 20’s. This is not good value in the 2022 draft. The second round picks should be good players with not drop off from late first rounders. If Houston could drop back four or five spots from either #3 or #13 and pick up that team’s second rounder, they should jump on that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

This is normally right except this year there is a fall off in talent in the late teens. Your scenario (to get a 2023 first) would mean they traded back from #13 to the late 20’s. This is not good value in the 2022 draft. The second round picks should be good players with not drop off from late first rounders. If Houston could drop back four or five spots from either #3 or #13 and pick up that team’s second rounder, they should jump on that. 

It depends on who the trade is with. If dropping back from #3 meant getting a 2023 first rounder vs 2022 second rounder from either Carolina or Atlanta, I’d much rather have the pick next year in what appears to be a more top-heavy draft (especially at QB)…

I’m not a fan of trading back for future picks this year. The Texans are going to have a high 1st rounder next year. They already have plenty of ammo to move up a few spots if needed, for a QB next year. They have to start the rebuild now. 

Edited by TonyTexas

15 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I don’t think there are any real reaches out of the top 8-10 players. Stingley is a high ceiling, low floor player. While I don’t think that’s the route they should take, if it is, it shouldn’t automatically be labeled a bad pick. 

Yep. The only reach at #3 would be a QB. I would prefer Sauce at 3, but Stingley is fine. I'm interested in who they might be targeting to move back into the Top 10 from 13. Preferably I would take Neal at #3. Then you play him at RT for a few seasons before trading away Tunsil. This also means that their reach of pick at OL 3 years ago can likely move inside where he might actually be league average.

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean ownership and bald Christianity weirdness aside, we do have a real GM who was actually in demand by other team, who has done a pretty good job with the shit hand he has been dealt with the roster over the past two years, and who drafted pretty damn well last year. This isn't Charlie Casserly or Rick Smith drafting so I am not sure why people don't expect to emulate last year and put together a solid draft class.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hate said:

I don’t understand why they didn’t already trade Tunsil. I assume there wasn’t much of a market for him or their price was too high.

You don't trade top tier, young, left tackle talent. We need more good players, not less. We have a lot of picks this year and are set up pretty well for next year as well. We are not starving for picks, and our cap situation is going to be pretty favorable next year, so I am not sure why we would even consider the thought of trading Tunsil. We should be working out an extension with him.

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

We would reach on stingley like fucking idiots. I swear I don’t know why anyone thinks we’re gonna make good selections this weekend. You know it’s coming so just embrace it.

Both corners will be gone before #13. If they have decided Stingley is better than Sauce (not saying I agree with that assessment), taking him at 3 might be the correct move. Nobody in the #5-8 range wants to trade up to #3.

If Caserio is smart, he has mocked out 50 different scenarios of picks 4-12 based on what they do at 3. If they don’t trade up from 13, then the likely best players available will be DE Jermaine Johnson, DT Jordan Davis, the third WR (hopefully Williams or Olave and not London), S Kyle Hamilton, or the northern Iowa OT. Which of those guys would pair best with either OT Ickey or CB Stingley? 

If rumors of the Giants wanting to trade #7 are true, I could see a scenario where we flip our 2 firsts and a third for their two firsts and a fourth. NY gets it’s choice of tackle and should have an easier time moving #13 for good value if a receiver drops or all the quarterbacks are still on the board. The Texans would get the 2 top 10 picks they’re  after for only the cost of a third for a fourth. All the experts are predicting chaos starting at #3, so that’d be a great way to kick it off IMO.  At #5 & #7, you could mix and match edge and DB depending on how the board falls.

Edited by IDIOTsavant
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Both corners will be gone before #13. If they have decided Stingley is better than Sauce (not saying I agree with that assessment), taking him at 3 might be the correct move. Nobody in the #5-8 range wants to trade up to #3.

If Caserio is smart, he has mocked out 50 different scenarios of picks 4-12 based on what they do at 3. If they don’t trade up from 13, then the likely best players available will be DE Jermaine Johnson, DT Jordan Davis, the third WR (hopefully Williams or Olave and not London), S Kyle Hamilton, or the northern Iowa OT. Which of those guys would pair best with either OT Ickey or CB Stingley? 

I like the idea of Hamilton. Then you likely fix a lot of problems with your secondary this draft.