All things SNL

Dr. Teeth

10 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I have no idea who Dua Lipa is, and I wish her all the best.  But this is gonna be a tough act to follow, literally.   

Google is your friend here. She’s insanely attractive.

On 4/14/2024 at 1:04 PM, YGIFS said:

I have no idea who Dua Lipa is, and I wish her all the best.  But this is gonna be a tough act to follow, literally.   

15 hours ago, royiv said:

Google is your friend here. She’s insanely attractive.

Love me some Stapleton and Gosling is a goddamn treasure, but I would toss them both out of a moving plane for a chance to be murdered by Dua Lipa.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

She looks hot as fuck for an Albanian disco singer.  Diidn't realize how popular she was, I think I remember her as a  musical guest awhile back.  But first time actually hosting.  

She's also quite the activist/philanthropist/advocate, so trigger warning for some viewers.  And based on her red carpet photos at the "Barbie" premiere, I would call her buttocks, "Strong to Moderately Strong"  

• 2 weeks later...

So I picked up this skit from another thread.  After watching, it is quite clear that previous generations of SNL cast members were better and rehearsed much more than the recent casts.  It drives me crazy when no one in a skit can give a line without reading it off cue cards.  I get that some of the hosts are outside of their comfort zones, but the regulars should be able to learn their lines.

• Hook 'Em 2

I’ve been considering the possibility recently that I’ve aged out of SNL, after watching it for the last 35-ish years. I find about half of the current cast to be deeply unfunny.

Like, just as one example, Dismukes. I don’t get it. He’s been on a few years now and I don’t think I’ve laughed once at anything he’s done.

8 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

So I picked up this skit from another thread.  After watching, it is quite clear that previous generations of SNL cast members were better and rehearsed much more than the recent casts.  It drives me crazy when no one in a skit can give a line without reading it off cue cards.  I get that some of the hosts are outside of their comfort zones, but the regulars should be able to learn their lines.

I wonder if the current cast is too busy filming commercials to be bothered to learn their lines. Everybody except the minor male players are routinely booking commercials. They don’t film those in NYC.

Hell Kennan had a sitcom filmed in LA while on the show. Methinks the regulars are doing a lot of shit on Zoom and rolling up in person for dress rehearsal, live show, and getting on a plane the next day. 

6 hours ago, Red Five said:

Like, just as one example, Dismukes. I don’t get it. He’s been on a few years now and I don’t think I’ve laughed once at anything he’s done.

Now you’ve done it.  This post is a dog whistle for YGIFS and an inevitable seven paragraph post on the subject.  

Edited by Chet Steadman
  • Haha 1

Just breaking down the show man, it's a cultural icon.  Fair point about Dismukes.  He's kind of a redundant everyman/utility cast member that Mikey Day or Keenan can still easily handle.  But I got a soft spot for him since he's a Longhorn.  Speaking of soft spots---when are Ego and Chloe gonna make out in a sketch.  I'm still aroused from Wiig and Heidi grinding asses a few weeks back, but I am willing to learn...

Yeah, that is how he got his start on the show.  I think he put in ~4 seasons as a really good writer (multiple Emmy noms.).  Then I think as Kyle Mooney was planning to leave, Dismukes maybe seemed like the small, nerdy guy.  But he doesn't really fit that either.  He's not particularly great at music-based sketches or impressions.  But a solid utility guy a la Mikey Day.  He's got decent screen presence and obviously writes great stuff, so I bet he can stick around for awhile.  

Obviously some longer-tenured cast members just decide to move on after this season of their own accord.  I like most of the younger cast, but were I Troast or Walker, I may think about a backup plan next season.  All kinda speculation about what Lorne will do for the 50th.    Only three more episodes to go this season...

I agree the women are funnier than the men this season.  And she's certainly talented and funny and has breadth. She's just the least funny on the totem pole is all, which is not an insult---that's a  deep starting lineup they've got.  She certainly could shine more if not for the shadows over her.  Heidi has really stepped up her game in the last couple of seasons.  Fineman isn't going anywhere.  Ego is probably the funniest overall female cast member.  Punkie is hilarious to me but doesn't have much range, but kills it whenever they use her right.  And as  we've all stated, Sherman has so much upside, she can be the next McKinnon in the very near future.  And while they don't identify as a female, Molly plays mostly 'women' roles in sketches and while not quite like Sherman, Molly has a ton of upside.  Not saying she should go, but it Lorne trims things or brings back some folks for the 50th, Troast may be the first to go.  But that she's also kinda the "4th Wheel" to the PDD guys, could be a saving grace for her.  Because those sketches absolutely kill 90% of the time.  

On 4/30/2024 at 8:31 AM, Jerry Callo said:

I watched SNL a few weeks ago for the first time in many years and the first thing that I noticed was that it seemed like everyone was reading their lines off of cue cards. I found it to be very distracting