All things SNL

Dr. Teeth

Sort of related, but the tik tok algorithm has been feeding me a bunch of shorts of comedians, and one of the funniest is by far Shane Gillis, the guy who was fired from SNL. It seems there has been a Streisand effect of sorts or maybe the guy has always been this funny, but he’s killing it. I wonder if he ever gets big enough to host and joke about the SNL.

48 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Sort of related, but the tik tok algorithm has been feeding me a bunch of shorts of comedians, and one of the funniest is by far Shane Gillis, the guy who was fired from SNL. It seems there has been a Streisand effect of sorts or maybe the guy has always been this funny, but he’s killing it. I wonder if he ever gets big enough to host and joke about the SNL.

He's got a special on Netflix. He ranges from very funny to cringe when ge gets into politics. IMO 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

He's got a special on Netflix. He ranges from very funny to cringe when ge gets into politics. IMO 

@shadow_operative is a big fan.

and comics who are not former cast members don't often host (in reply to the post before this one).  as big as nate has gotten, i was pretty surprised when i saw he was hosting.  i guess with the multiple strikes going the past few months, all bets are off.

was he ever officially a writer or part of the cast before he got fired?  i don't know the story.

On 10/24/2023 at 4:22 PM, YGIFS said:

Slight thread derail, Nate announced a show for Austin (Moody Center) for 21 April.  I'd be in like Flynt, but it's our oldest's birthday party.  Maybe we'll get lucky at that'll be the Spring Game and we can have him over for surly banter and black tar heroin.

He's got a show the night before in San Antonio.  Then 4 days off before heading to Corpus of all places.  Maybe we can organize a meet 'n greet between those if he's not jetting back to Nashville to see his family.  Or we could offer up one of y'all's places on the coast to hang out.  

in like flynt? 

Larry Flynt?

• Hook 'Em 1

I laughed but it was beyond predictable even for SNL.  But what I realize now is it was the perfect harnessing of Nate by them.  Not only was it the first sketch to air after the opening, but probably was the first sketch they wrote for him that week.  I said it pages ago that his low-energy, self-effacing humor may not translate to SNL in the usual way, but he's beyond naturally funny.  He's a mashup of everyday observational Seinfeld humor smashed into Louis CK's disdain for himself and the whole of humanity.  But he's less smug than Jerry and less of a creepy asshole than Louis.  He didn't do the usual 10 years of road grind, he did 20 before getting his big breaks.  Because he just doesn't have a gimmick, or a hook, or a look, or a vibe, or an energy, or a hip social media presence.  It's 20 years of 1000 different sets, each one funnier than the last.  

Anyway, this one ends up working for me because they realize his low-energy, constantly apologetic, southern tone is perfect for a guy who accidentally cooks the best black soul food ever.  Perfect Nate.  The Washington sketch is his best, by far, because it's just him being hyped up about something so boring that he comes across as America's most inspiring leader ever with the amplification of a kazoo.  Lake Beach was his perfect blend of a fuck you to Aldean while celebrating his white trash roots---he absolutely loved that and it showed.  Airplane and Halloween was him deferring to the cast members and content to hang back.  Hallmark Horror one was weird, just them trying to cram in a Halloween sketch and Nate along for the ride.  I thought Please Don't Destroy would involve him more since they're friends off-camera, but obviously went a different way.  His monologue will be legend for years to come.  They used him perfectly and Chef sketch shows how.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mchookem said:

pretty funny, i lol'd quite a few times. 

Smoked Chedda, lmao 😄

Chalamet is a good host, he goes all in which makes everything better. 

also...lordy is he nice to look at 😛

Funny because I lasted until the baby face song with the 2nd year player who talks like he has marbles in his mouth and was out. Chalamet was funny up to that point.

• 3 weeks later...