All things SNL

Dr. Teeth

22 hours ago, Rip76 said:

I haven't watched SNL in years.

Unfortunately I picked last night to start.  Just bad, not funny.

Take this thing out and shoot it.

The writing is beyond bad and there aren't even funny young stars on there except for maybe Bowen Yang. I've watched maybe two episodes this season.

22 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I think you're right.  

It's been a very binary season, most up and down in the last several years.  But I gotta say, Sweeney has more comedic chops than I thought.  Writing wasn't great, but she's way funnier than I thought (I've only see in her White Lotus and the Stones video so admittedly, not a broad baseline).  She's gonna have a helluva good career ahead of her.  

Josh Brolin is gonna be one to watch because he can actually, genuinely act.  Not just a handsome guy who can say lines.  But he doesn't really have any funny bones in his body like his dad does.  But I can see him completely and totally committing himself to the sketches a la an Adam Driver and just going all in.  Looking forward to it.

Also, Sweeney's tits are just ridiculous.

Josh Brolin is actually a pretty funny guy. There are interviews of him with Ryan Reynolds where they are basically ripping on each other that are of great quality.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Davis Lane said:

Josh Brolin is actually a pretty funny guy. There are interviews of him with Ryan Reynolds where they are basically ripping on each other that are of great quality.

He has a running gag with Colbert where he will cold video call him from random locations like shirtless in his sauna and ramble on about various shit.

Edited by RPM

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

they fucked up by not going straight to scarlet in the cold open. 90 seconds of non-funny biden impression should’ve been cut in walk-through. 

open with your special guest star, let her bring the house down. 

It was awkward. They either need to find someone like Carvey or just ditch it. Which, now that I type that, will be impossible in an election year. Jim Carrey wasn't funny either doing it. And Biden is too old now for the Jason Sudeikis version. 

Scarlett is clearly now one of those like Steve Martin or Alec Baldwin who could have been a member of the cast. She's really good.

Well, start with the weak ones.  Sandwich King and People Pleaser were duds, IMO but he was committed to the bits.  Moulin Rouge was funny but Brolin barely appeared in it (more of a showcase for Ariana who did great the whole episode in sketches).  I liked Shrimp Tower and he was hilarious in it.  Lisa from Temecula was probably the least funny version of that character to date-but I always laugh at her (Josh didn't have much to work with there).  Shonda Talk Show and Wine & Cheese Night were only funny because of how awkwardly comedic Brolin was in each-otherwise both were below average.  Airplane Song was a weird one.  'Cause I like the UT guy and Brolin, I chuckled...but certainly in the lower tier of pre-taped musical segments this season...if not lower. His monologue was average.  His best sketch obviously was Bank Heist.  I think that'll end up a classic down the road.  W/U was average.  Josh was totally committed and I have a newfound respect for his comedic talents and timing and just general silliness.  But that ScarJo bit was maybe the show-stealer which is no reflection on Josh, it just happened to be brilliantly timed and her acting like she was acting while nailing every joke is no easy thing.  Really enjoyed the episode and got to see a different side of ScarJo and Brolin that I have newfound respect and lust for, respectively.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Well he wrote a poem about me and she didn't.  I think I was gonna try and crack a joke like in the Bank Heist skit about he gets to be with men and couldn't think of anything but just hit submit.  No judging either.  

Of course she's gorgeous but I never found her all that talented, but then I've only seen her in a handful of dramas.  No comedies or Marvel stuff.  Obviously she's got some skills to be in that many projects, but I just assumed it was because she is so damn beautiful.  But she was funny as fuck on that sketch.  That husband guy, Wesley, is going to have the most confusing jerk-off session of any of us this week.  I have fantasies about my wife as I'm sure he does.  But you throw Scarlet into the mix looking and acting just like your wife, but hotter and displaying her crazy...that's a potent mixture of laughter, tears, shame, pride, and jizz.  Lotta browser histories of ScarJo being erased in that kitchen Alexa device this day.  

And think of the sick paradox in her son's head today.  "I used to like watching Scarlet in that tight Marvel costume, but now...uh.  Hmm.   Ma!  The meatloaf!"  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

WU was excellent. Mrs. Flaco relating how it is being married to a big celebrity to Colin killed. Not familiar with Ramy but he was a great host. Please Don't Destroy destroyed. Good episode.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, RPM said:

WU was excellent. Mrs. Flaco relating how it is being married to a big celebrity to Colin killed. Not familiar with Ramy but he was a great host. Please Don't Destroy destroyed. Good episode.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Catching up . . . Brolin is 56 years old, a dad bod is not exactly shameful.  Most 56 YO men would kill to look like that.  Regardless, I'm always surprised at how good he is at absurd comedy.  Seems like he should be more of a stick in the mud.

In other news, Travis Scott is a truly horrible "musician".

Trump himself has jumped the shark so bad the impressions aren’t funny anymore. Just hearing anything resembling his voice is rage inducing. I wouldn’t feel compelled to do bits of him anymore, stick to the other characters. Scar Jos bit in the weird SOTU lady was great.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Trump himself has jumped the shark so bad the impressions aren’t funny anymore. Just hearing anything resembling his voice is rage inducing. I wouldn’t feel compelled to do bits of him anymore, stick to the other characters. Scar Jos bit in the weird SOTU lady was great.

It’s an instant tune out fast forward when they do Trump shit, it’s fucking dumb how they keep doing it. You can’t make Trump any more absurd than he already is. The political cold opens in general need to go.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

What are y’all complaint about?  They’ve been doing political cold openings for 40 years and now you’re getting sensitive?  The Alec Baldwin as Trump schtick got real old in a hurry.  

but I love this new twist on it by JAJ because it’s more parody than satire.  The fact that even most Trump supporters have zero issue with it makes it even more hilarious to me. It’s all us middle age guys saying “yeah, that pretty much checks out.”  

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

What are y’all complaint about?  They’ve been doing political cold openings for 40 years and now you’re getting sensitive?  The Alec Baldwin as Trump schtick got real old in a hurry.  

It makes them sad so they want to ignore it, nevermind that trump is actively grabbing our justice system by the pussy and funding it with bibles sales

Ramy is a talented standup, actor (was in Poor Things) and also writer. In fact, I think he directed the “Honeydew” episode of The Bear, Season 2.