Texas BBQ

Washpark

I expect both KG BBQ and Reese Bros. Barbecue to be on the list. Mum Smokehouse and Deli might make it.

Really looking forward to learning about some new joints.

List is up. All the spots we suspected are on it. Most others are far from me, so not sure when I will try them.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/25-best-new-improved-bbq-joints-texas/
  • Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

List is up. All the spots we suspected are on it. Most others are far from me, so not sure when I will try them.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/25-best-new-improved-bbq-joints-texas/

i'm glad that Sunbird was on it, those are good dudes.

kind of impressed J Bar M made it back on there.

like you said, not a ton on the list near me. but damn, i'm happy for the Reese Bros guys.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

i'm glad that Sunbird was on it, those are good dudes.
kind of impressed J Bar M made it back on there.
like you said, not a ton on the list near me. but damn, i'm happy for the Reese Bros guys.

Yeah I was surprised by J Bar M too. I haven’t been back since Willow left, nor do I intend to.

But alas, I’m slowing down my bbq intake. Pops just had a stent put in this morning and there is a second blockage that they are not sure can be resolved with a stent. He is 76 and active, but family history on both sides isn’t great. So, yeah…time to cut back.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Yeah I was surprised by J Bar M too. I haven’t been back since Willow left, nor do I intend to.

But alas, I’m slowing down my bbq intake. Pops just had a stent put in this morning and there is a second blockage that they are not sure can be resolved with a stent. He is 76 and active, but family history on both sides isn’t great. So, yeah…time to cut back.

Sorry to hear about you dad - I know y'all have enjoyed eating barbecue together.  Cutting back is just going to make getting barbecue all the more special.  Also, I've seen pictures of your trays - you might grab a vegetable every once and a while, too.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear about you dad - I know y'all have enjoyed eating barbecue together.  Cutting back is just going to make getting barbecue all the more special.  Also, I've seen pictures of your trays - you might grab a vegetable every once and a while, too.

Thanks. Haha yeah, I know the perception here, but most of my lunches are salads (not bbq salads) and dinners are relatively healthy (like fish and asparagus or quinoa and ground turkey and some baked vegetables).

Well, that's gonna have a major impact on Texas BBQ.
(In all seriousness, I hope your pop's health issues resolve without drama.)

Thanks. Yeah, the rest of you lazy fucks need to step up.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Not going to turn this into my family medical blog thread, but I was misinformed. Looks like a double bypass is the way the doc wants to go.

Dad had 4X.  He lived another 20 years and his heart wasn't what got him.  

Recovery is a little brutal, but it's a life-saver for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Swayze nailed that list pretty much… props

also, hope your dad is on the mend. Unfortunately, i think most of us on this thread are on the same track.

in other news, swayze was also right about Butters. Holy fuck, what a fantastic meal. Def a must go if in the Coastal Bend

Thanks.  He will be scheduling it soon.  Today was exploratory with the hope of a stent, but when then they saw the two blockages, they abandoned that and ran a couple more tests. 

As for the list, I have only been to 4 of those spots.  But I think all of them deserve it (assuming the people at J Bar M learned well from Willow).  I likely will try the one in Montgomery and the Valley before the ones near Dallas.  I just never find myself up there.

Butter's is great.  The first time I went when they were in Mathis, it was very good.  But they have really dialed it now.  And the elotes is one of the few sides I bother with at a BBQ joint.

• Hook 'Em 1

B4 BBQ & Boba in Mabank might jump into the top 10 for the next issue and hardly anyone has been talking about them until today's TM article. They're putting out some really good stuff out there in Kaufman County. 

Just looked up B4 and my goodness… that is some juicy lookin’ que!

Flashback to my best friend in HS saying "watch this" while we were driving his granddad's truck and my friend's little brother was sitting in the bed, back against the tailgate.  You guessed, a hard braking maneuver.  LIttle brother went flying into the truck cab, and was spitting an impressive continous barrage of words he really shouldn't have known how to use that well as an 8th grader, all mixed in with some minor tears.

Outside of possibly Barbs, which isn't open on Sundays, Terry Blacks has the best barbecue in Lockhart.  If you are going to hit more than one place, the history at Smitty's Market makes it my favorite place in Lockhart.  I would get brisket, ribs, and sides at Terry Black's and sausage and crackers at Smitty's.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Outside of possibly Barbs, which isn't open on Sundays, Terry Blacks has the best barbecue in Lockhart.  If you are going to hit more than one place, the history at Smitty's Market makes it my favorite place in Lockhart.  I would get brisket, ribs, and sides at Terry Black's and sausage and crackers at Smitty's.

Had to laugh at stopping at Smitty's for crackers. Sad times.

Is Floyd's (Chisholm Trail) not even worth a stop anymore?

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Had to laugh at stopping at Smitty's for crackers. Sad times.

Is Floyd's (Chisholm Trail) not even worth a stop anymore?

My first real barbecue experience was at Kreuz Market in the early 1980's - when it was stilled owned by Edgar Schmidt.  At that time it was located in the original building where Smitty's is now.  Back then they didn't have bread, sides, or even forks.  Brisket and sausage on a saltine cracker was really damn good, though.  To this day, I always eat Kreuz or Smitty's barbecue on crackers.  

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

It's been 15-20 years since I had Chisholm Trail and I wasn't impressed.  Might just be my nostalgia for Kreuz/Smitty's, though.

Back in the Dark Ages, many of us locals went to Floyd's (Floyd Wilhelm) because it was cheap, near the high school, and the CBOB and barbecued chicken were excellent. They also had sides like fried okra and green beans, and one could drive through and get a family fajita pack for like $10 or a whole barbecued chicken family meal for even less.

It was pretty awesome, but probably never up to the standard of pre-schism Kreuz or Black's.

23 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

My first real barbecue experience was at Kreuz Market in the early 1980's - when it was stilled owned by Edgar Schmidt.  At that time it was located in the original building where Smitty's is now.  Back then they didn't have bread, sides, or even forks.  Brisket and sausage on a saltine cracker was really damn good, though.  To this day, I always eat Kreuz or Smitty's barbecue on crackers.  

about the same story for me, Kruez’s was bbq elite for me. Bbq, avocado, tomato, jalapeños, hunk of cheese and crackers 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1