Texas BBQ

Washpark

On 8/16/2023 at 8:19 AM, NoName said:

this probably deserves to be in the all encompassing brisket thread, but anyone do their own pastrami brisket? worth doing it at "home"?

I've done it the cheap and easy way, i.e., buy a pre-brined, corned beef flat at the grocery store, soak it in cold water overnight to desalinate it, rub it the next morning, and toss it on the smoker.  It's quite good.  I don't do the steam thing toward the end, but I know someone on here has and has posted about it.

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, I mean…the outfit is legit Egyptian. 

I’ll show myself out.

IMG_2345.gif

Edited by Cajun
I was having a flashback to when I tried “puffy tacos” at some place in Oak Hill that had boiled shredded beef in them topped with kale and cilantro. LOUD NOISES!!!

2 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

I don't really get "chopped" beef people.

If I get unknowingly dragged to a placndue to circumstances beyond my control, that I can tell is going to suck before I order, I get a chopped Sammie plate with a lot of sauce on the side.

Edited by conVINCEd
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

I don't really get going into Rudys or any joint like that and the cutter trims off bark and fat.

Fuck, you think customers pay a premium for your product so they can have a plain ass roast beef sammich?

Shared it on the old board, but first time we went to City Market, our kids were like Junior High age and we go into the smokeroom  Wife asks me if chopped beef is OK for her to order, as in, will they make it for her?  Sure, just ask em...    When she gets up there she asks for brisket, chopped.  It gets all quiet.

" Ma'am we don't do that to our product."

The boys were laughing, I was laughing.  Wife wasn't... until later.

I’ve said before but I like Rudy’s in the Austin area for consistency sake and not needing to be in a line at 7 am. I’ve never had them cut or scrape the bark off. In fact, they’ll do you right (as right as they can I suppose) if you ask for moist outside cut.

There is a sliding scale though. The farther north you travel, the worse the Rudy’s get. It’s science or something.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, deft said:

I’ve said before but I like Rudy’s in the Austin area for consistency sake and not needing to be in a line at 7 am. I’ve never had them cut or scrape the bark off. In fact, they’ll do you right (as right as they can I suppose) if you ask for moist outside cut.

There is a sliding scale though. The farther north you travel, the worse the Rudy’s get. It’s science or something.

I don't believe you...  https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=649503753855230

12 minutes ago, DallasSooner said:

Leaving Dallas early on Saturday morning and taking a trip down to Lampasas (buddy wants to look at some cows) anyway on way back home later I'm thinking Helberg for lunch.  That's the best option I know of, if anyone has any other ideas I'm open.  Not keen on Millers in Belton. 

Young's BBQ in Lampasas is good, haven't eaten there since they moved from San Saba but it's worth a stop. i think they just changed business hours, so check on that: https://www.facebook.com/youngsbbqmore

but Helberg is awesome and i can't recommend them enough.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DallasSooner said:

Leaving Dallas early on Saturday morning and taking a trip down to Lampasas (buddy wants to look at some cows) anyway on way back home later I'm thinking Helberg for lunch.  That's the best option I know of, if anyone has any other ideas I'm open.  Not keen on Millers in Belton. 

Schoepfs, Blue Cord, Guess also along the way

22 hours ago, deft said:

In Tyler, I use Rudy's as an example of where chopped brisket is the only way to order it, whether on a sandwich or, better, on a potato.  I got sliced, moist brisket there once.  Never again.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/21/2023 at 12:02 PM, Tylerocks said:

The 2 for $5 chopped beef sandwich at Rubys down by campus used to be the best sandwich in Austin in my opinion.  Their smoked chicken jambalaya also slapped.  Damnit making my mouth water thinking about it.  Skillet potatoes were also strong to quite strong. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, deft said:

If I’m in Tyler, I’m getting a Cadillac motherclucker.

I get it.  I live here.  I love Stanley's.  I know the owners well.  My older son works there.  Rudy's is not in the same league.  But sometimes, despite my preference, I have found myself, as a matter of convenience or at the whim of others, at Rudy's.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

I get it.  I live here.  I love Stanley's.  I know the owners well.  My older son works there.  Rudy's is not in the same league.  But sometimes, despite my preference, I have found myself, as a matter of convenience or at the whim of others, at Rudy's.  

Okay when I go to East Texas I hit 1) Sunbird 2) Jeffersons Riverport (because I love Stephen Joseph) and 3. Bodacious Hallsville. 

I have never stopped at the Country Tavern in Kilgore and I have always wanted to. What's your thoughts on it??

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, DallasSooner said:

Okay when I go to East Texas I hit 1) Sunbird 2) Jeffersons Riverport (because I love Stephen Joseph) and 3. Bodacious Hallsville. 

I have never stopped at the Country Tavern in Kilgore and I have always wanted to. What's your thoughts on it??

Expensive and overrated, but I haven't been there in years.  It's like that Tex-Mex place that people who grew up in a certain town love because they grew up with it, but if we're all being honest, isn't good outside of that memory of growing up with it.  I'm not from here.  So I don't get the appeal.

Neither did Mr. Vaughn. 

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/country-tavern-2009/

Two alternative places possibly worth investigating if you don't have to have world class BBQ, but want something you can enjoy (and going there is part of the experience) are Pat Gees and Y'all's BBQ.  Bear in mind, these are straight-up Sammich joints.  Y'all's (open Thurs.--Sunday) has some good sides with whatever is in-season.  Chopped brisket potato I had there lasted two meals and was pretty inexpensive).  Pat Gees is a shack in the woods.  Texas Monthly wrote about it years ago.  I've still never been.

Outside of that, I'd say stick to what you're doing.  "Local BBQ" (yes, that's the dumb name) in Tyler isn't good.  Brisket had no taste and was a cheap cut.  Ribs were okay, but nothing to write home about.  I don't know how it has stayed open.  I live two blocks from there and once was enough.

I finally got to try Sunbird.  They were about to close and only had Brisket flat left.  I also got some street corn and beans.  Brisket was solid, but my son needed to get home.  So the 45 minute ride back to Tyler didn't do it any favors.  Flavor was great though.  Street corn was excellent and the beans were great.  There's so much there I want to try.

Edited by dcbc

2 hours ago, DallasSooner said:

The ribs at the Tavern are phenomenal IMO.  Everything else is fine/solid/good. The brisket baked beans also quite solid. But the main takeaway is just get the large rib plate. 

I wasn’t comparing the two. I got stuck at UT Tyler over the course of weeks on two different summers. I spent a lot of per diem on mothercluckers.
  • Hook 'Em 1