Your favorite one hit wonder

VABuckeye

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

This song doesn’t have a chorus. The last line is a repeat of the 2nd to last line, but I wouldn’t say that that makes it a chorus. It was written by Tom T. Hall and it was a #1 song  

Lisa Loeb’s “Stay” doesn’t have a chorus and was a #1 song. 

I was first introduced to Tom T. Hall in elementary school, because he had an album of songs for kids. “Sneaky Snake” is the first song that comes to mind without looking it up. Lisa Loeb also writes songs for kids and won a Grammy in 2017 or 2018 (?) for her kids album. (“The Disappointing pancake” is probably her most famous kids song.)

Coincidence?

Abso-fucking-lutely!

The story behind the song is fascinating. Tyler does a good job of it on Cocaine and Rhinestones.

Oh I went there.

On 10/27/2021 at 2:40 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I had to look it up -- 7 top 40 singles in the US alone.  LMAO.

Next up:  "Satisfaction"

On 10/27/2021 at 2:38 PM, Dbeasy said:

Jesus Christ. A rock and roll hall of fame band isn’t a OHW. Good lord. 

58 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Frankie Goes to Hollywood.  Because it was nearly 30 years ago, we also would have accepted Frankie Went to Hollywood.

One hit in the US.  A couple more in the UK and elsewhere.  I'd probably count them as OHWs.

Is this the Regal WE?

1 hour ago, rage-a-holic said:

Just stop posting here. You're an idiot. Roxette had several hits and the only Swedish group that outsold them was ABBA.

Strictly speaking, I am a high-level cretin. 

Soooo Rage, what are you wearing?

In the mid 90s these guys got MTV airplay for this song. I dug it a lot, but they disappeared shortly thereafter without a trace. It wasn't long ago I had that song in my head and I searched for and found a used copy of the CD online, which is a very hard fine. The whole album fucking rocks balls. Seriously good stuff.

Edited by DougO

In the mid 90s these guys got MTV airplay for this song. I dug it a lot, but they disappeared shortly thereafter without a trace. It wasn't long ago I had that song in my head and I searched for and found a used copy of the CD online, which is a very hard fine. The whole album fucking rocks balls. Seriously good stuff.

Never heard of those dudes but that’s a solid tune.

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yup, it's new to me.  Sounds like Fastball being backed by STP.

Pretty good comparison. Some of their songs are a bit more grungy, others have a bit of psychedelia to them, they are all smart and display a lot of talent. They were just not grungy enough or alternative enough to fit in with what the industry was selling at that time.