NCAA Hoops 2021-22

shadow_operative

55 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Great to see B12 have 3 spots in Goodman's Top 9.

Nova is an erratic team.  Not sure what to think about Ucla yet either @Sbbruin

Bruins are erratic.   They can beat just about anyone.  But they can go cold and get jumped by anyone.  I think they'll tighten it up as we get closer.  If we can work our phenom FR Peyton Watson into the rotation more (where Mick trusts him) and soph Jaylen Clark gets back into form, I think this team is capable of a deep run.  Hopefully last year's experience hardens them.  I think it will.

Watch out for Arizona.  I think they are as good as anybody in the country.

4 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

This is why I'm not sold on UH in march. They are well coached and talented, but shorthanded. I'm not sure they can endure the tourney grind.

I figured we'd take 1/2. Glad we did. Not sure what to think of UH. Losing whatshisname to injury hasn't helped.

KD with 22/7/7/3. Love that kid. 

Edited by ztejas

This is why I'm not sold on UH in march. They are well coached and talented, but shorthanded. I'm not sure they can endure the tourney grind.

Yeah they didnt seem to have anyone they trusted (or any player who wanted) to take the ball and get a shot when SMU turned up their pressure the last part of the game. Serms like their offense has to really be executing well for them to get shots within it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And the fact they play 1 ranked team all year? I just don’t get the love for them in the polls . If they played in big 12 , they’d finish 5th-7th

And the fact they play 1 ranked team all year? I just don’t get the love for them in the polls . If they played in big 12 , they’d finish 5th-7th

8 minutes ago, txduck87 said:

Dude they're 4th in kenpom. They beat okie lite by 11 on the road and for the most part have thrashed the AAC. They wouldn't finish 7th in the B12. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

True but they've played 3 Q1 games and are 1-2 in them.

Their 3 losses now are by 2 to Wisky in Las Vegas, by 1 to Bama in Tuscaloosa and now by 2 to SMU in Dallas. None of those are especially damning - although they aren't quite the same team at this point in the season. They were favored by 7 tonight but part of that is you don't really know which SMU team is going to show up on any given night. 

I don't think they're the 6th best team in the country but I wouldn't want to play them in March. Oregon is 3rd in the P12 and UH beat them by 29. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Saw where GTown gave up a 26-0 run to DePaul last night, Ewing’s goose has to be cooked, right? 

I saw the score this morning. I thought they were going to win that one. Winless in Big East play. Ewing is horrible. Their only way to hold him for next season is to say that he has such a young roster, which I think has nine freshmen and sophomores. But they are paying $4,000,000 for zero conference victories.

46 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Listening to the radio this morning, I thought this was a fascinating stat: The UConn Women's team lost a conference game last night.  It was their first conference loss since 2013 and (I think) 168 games.  Thats amazing. 

145 I think? It was #2 behind Texas WBB's 132 game streak from 1982 to 1991*

*Actually was 183 games, but SWC didn't sanction WBB until 1982, so the wins from 1978 to 1981 didn't count

• Like 1

Speaking of arrogant, Goodman did a deep dive on former NBA players coaching in college. Most of the guys who played 200+ games and made tens of millions are struggling. Time commitment and ego were two of the factors explored.

https://watchstadium.com/why-do-so-many-former-nba-players-struggle-as-college-coaches-02-09-2022/

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Is that true?  Damn, what happened to them?

The short version is this:

Jamie didn't really want to go to the ACC. But we had to go because the Old Big East was imploding. Recruiting under Jamie started to slide. The results showed this as in Jamie's last 25, or 30, games against ranked opponents his teams were either 5-20, or 5-25. Either one is not good, especially since he kept getting raises each time he flirted with West Coast jobs. 

I knew Jamie, not great, but, enough to say I liked him and we could talk when in the same room. 

After Jamie left our genius AD hired a search firm and the ties between the search firm and Kevin Stallings were known, but yet we hired a guy who was about to be fired by Vandy. It was a total DISASTER. Stallings teams were horrible, and one finished 0-18 in ACC. To make matters worse I think we lowered Jamie's buyout so he could just walk, and then we had to do something to secure Stallings. 

After that disaster the AD that hired him was now at Oregon State, Keith Barnes, and Pitt had to ask Carolina Panthers owner, Pitt & Carnegie Mellon grad, David Tepper to write the check to get rid of Stallings.

I was in school with a fellow named Gilbert Johnson. Gilbert was a couple years behind me at Pitt. I knew him, not great, but we are friendly. His son, Cam, was on that Pitt team under Stallings. Gilbert told me that Cam was told by Stallings "not to shoot, and to defer to the seniors (or upperclassmen)".

Cam transferred to UNC and I think won a national championship and now plays for Phoenix. The upperclassmen Cam was told to defer to are not in the NBA. Nice job Coach.

Then we get to Jeff Capel. Last year's team had players fucking girlfriends of other players, fights in the locker room, parents tweeting, etc. So now Justin Champagne left after last year and is the NBA. Xavier Johnson is at IU, Au'Diese Toney is at Arkansas, Trey McGowins left after 2019 and went to Nebraska, etc etc.

Too many players have left and it's been a shit show of extraordinary proportions.

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Speaking of arrogant, Goodman did a deep dive on former NBA players coaching in college. Most of the guys who played 200+ games and made tens of millions are struggling. Time commitment and ego were two of the factors explored.

https://watchstadium.com/why-do-so-many-former-nba-players-struggle-as-college-coaches-02-09-2022/

To teach and motivate well requires complex skill sets. A successful career does not bestow those skills automatically. Part of it is the inability to convey to someone else a knowledge or ability that just came naturally. Plus, that inner fire that drives so many Alphas to the top can lead to unrealistic expectations and demands of others when they don't replicate. Personally, I think the best coaches in any sport more often than not tend to be people that had struggles in their own playing career. Give me the the second or third string player over the future hall-of-famer as my coach of tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

The short version is this:

Jamie didn't really want to go to the ACC. But we had to go because the Old Big East was imploding. Recruiting under Jamie started to slide. The results showed this as in Jamie's last 25, or 30, games against ranked opponents his teams were either 5-20, or 5-25. Either one is not good, especially since he kept getting raises each time he flirted with West Coast jobs. 

I knew Jamie, not great, but, enough to say I liked him and we could talk when in the same room. 

After Jamie left our genius AD hired a search firm and the ties between the search firm and Kevin Stallings were known, but yet we hired a guy who was about to be fired by Vandy. It was a total DISASTER. Stallings teams were horrible, and one finished 0-18 in ACC. To make matters worse I think we lowered Jamie's buyout so he could just walk, and then we had to do something to secure Stallings. 

After that disaster the AD that hired him was now at Oregon State, Keith Barnes, and Pitt had to ask Carolina Panthers owner, Pitt & Carnegie Mellon grad, David Tepper to write the check to get rid of Stallings.

I was in school with a fellow named Gilbert Johnson. Gilbert was a couple years behind me at Pitt. I knew him, not great, but we are friendly. His son, Cam, was on that Pitt team under Stallings. Gilbert told me that Cam was told by Stallings "not to shoot, and to defer to the seniors (or upperclassmen)".

Cam transferred to UNC and I think won a national championship and now plays for Phoenix. The upperclassmen Cam was told to defer to are not in the NBA. Nice job Coach.

Then we get to Jeff Capel. Last year's team had players fucking girlfriends of other players, fights in the locker room, parents tweeting, etc. So now Justin Champagne left after last year and is the NBA. Xavier Johnson is at IU, Au'Diese Toney is at Arkansas, Trey McGowins left after 2019 and went to Nebraska, etc etc.

Too many players have left and it's been a shit show of extraordinary proportions.

That’s fascinating to me. 

I cannot stand Jeff Capel as a coach. I thought he was a horrible hire for the Sooners, and I felt like he was a horrible hire by Pitt. Mildly interesting fact, Capel is the only Sooner coach to be fired in the last 40 years. Billy Tubbs got a significant pay raise to go to TCU, as hard as that is to believe. Kelvin Sampson got both a big pay raise and an elevation in prestige to head to Indiana. Lon Kruger retired. Only Capel was fired. 

Jamie Dixon sometimes seems like he’s on the cusp of getting something done at TCU, but it never really seems to work out for him. The coaching in this league is so ridiculous. All four of the first year guys in the Big 12 this year seem like better hires than Dixon. I think Boynton is better, too, if OSU can keep him. Basically I only think Dixon is better than Weber, who is another coach I don’t like very much. But I don’t mind Dixon. It’s just a really tough league. And Its. Ot going to get easier with Sampson returning. 

• Hook 'Em 2