NCAA Hoops 2021-22

shadow_operative

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

just woke up and checked the box score of that TTU/Tennessee game. TTU shot 4-24 from deep (16.7%) and still managed to shoot better than Tennessee who went a whopping 6-40 from deep. after reading this thread and checking that box score, i'm glad i missed that game. my god that's some inept shooting.

It was hideous basketball.  Early on it was really good defense, a lot of blocked shots and players flying to the ball.

By the end, it was just watching teams trade missed threes or watching Tenn blow a wide open dunk. 

43 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

They didn't have many wide open 3s, most were contested, but yeah it was still awful shooting. Just one of those nights.

In the 2nd Half you could see that Tech just sagged into the paint and allowed Tenn to brick away - at least until they made the one at the end to send the game to OT. In OT they started to come out a bit more. Tech on the other hand had Tenn up on them pretty much from jump.

But as they say, styles make fights - seems like both teams probably look to create their offense by way of their defense. Unfortunately for them they were both looking into the mirror at themselves and those opportunities were few and far between. Think we learned that neither has a post option they can throw the ball into for a good look or many if any pure shooters offensively! 

37 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

edit: oof, Lance and Lowell calling Shaka Smart vs K State. think i'll stick with Bucks/Heat.

Dear God they let those two call other games?

SMU with a nice win over Dayton. Freshman out of Duncanville Zhuric Phelps with 13 and 2 steals off the bench. 

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i saw that Phelps kid play in the state title game vs Westlake and he was awesome. 

Yeah forgot to mention that. He seems like a good get for SMU - 247 had him 8th in TX. Some kids like staying close to home.

Couple highlights:

Edited by ztejas

39 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Tommy Lloyd (who? you might be saying) has Arizona playing some great basketball early on in his first ever head coaching gig. Lloyd spent the last 20 years as an assistant at Gonzaga, and so far he looks like a great hire for the Wildcats.

2AABE402-3E2E-4BD5-A0B2-854260233E9B.jpeg

They haven't really played anyone outside of a Michigan team that turned out to be pretty bad so far, but they have looked dominant in all their wins so it's hard to argue so far.

4 years probation, 2-game suspension for Pearl, & this monster... 

The NCAA also fined Auburn $5,000 plus 3% of its men's basketball program budget, added the loss of two scholarships during the probation (the Tigers had already self-imposed a loss of one) and imposed other recruiting restrictions.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32837077/auburn-tigers-men-basketball-placed-4-years-probation-bruce-pearl-suspended-2-games

Edited by shadow_operative2.0