New UCSB Dorm. Also known as crazy billionaire's social experiment

Sbbruin

15 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I'll donate 200 million to build a new dorm, but it has to be built exactly to my specifications. Also, there is only one company that can supply the frefabbed pieces needed to build it, which happens to be owned by a company that is owned by a company that is owned by a company that I own.

And the students are not allowed to try and remove the mirrors from the wall or examine the air vents too closely.

jiggity GIF

• Like 2

On 10/30/2021 at 8:34 PM, royiv said:

When people surround themselves by bootlickers that they'll them that their shit doesn't stink, they begin to believe it.

It’s sad that this is where we are as a nation. UCSB is one of the finest public schools in the nation, in a fantastically wealthy state, and in order to house its incoming students it has to cede to the whims of a crazy ass billionaire.

Y'all aren't seeing the possibilities here.

That Soviet-ass tower block will breed depression even faster than chlamydia.

Depression leads to suicide.

Suicide of roommate = automatic Straight A's

So just try to find the mopiest looking people for your little suite, kick back, and enjoy California.

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

18 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It’s sad that this is where we are as a nation. UCSB is one of the finest public schools in the nation, in a fantastically wealthy state, and in order to house its incoming students it has to cede to the whims of a crazy ass billionaire.

I thought it was a run of the mill party school. 

UC-SB is a party school, but it's also one of the Top 25 best public universities in our country.  As is UC-SD.  UC-SC is markedly further behind, but they hold the Grateful Dead archives so they get a bump for that.  

The more I look at the design and the more I read about the donor...the more I think of the movie "Cube."  

3 minutes ago, Caponata said:

From the interwebs...

Among U.S. universities, UCSB is ranked number 23. U.S. News & World Report has once again included UC Santa Barbara in its annual listing of the "Top 30 Public National Universities" in the country, as well on its list of the "Best National Universities."

University of Texas at Austin is ranked #38 in National Universities. 

9 minutes ago, Caponata said:

UCSB is one of the best public schools in the nation. Texans don’t realize how damn good the entire UC system is. Even the ones you don’t hear about like Merced or Santa Cruz are top 100 type schools. It’s a remarkable thing that the state built. 

UCLA, Berkeley, SB, San Diego, Irvine, and Davis are elite schools. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I know Texans like to shit on California.  But just think about this...the second best public in California is UC-Los Angeles.  the second best public in Texas is A&M (the retarded kid you let sit in on regular class so they don't feel left out).  the third best in California is UC-San Diego (spoiler alert, one of the best colleges on the planet)...the third best in Texas is University of Houston (a glorified community college). 

For as wealthy a state as we are, we are so fucking goddamned embarrassingly far behind in education...it's disgusting.  And our dorms reflect that.

Edited by Lobo

11 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I know Texans like to shit on California.  But just think about this...the second best public in California is UC-Los Angeles.  the second best public in Texas is A&M (the retarded kid you let sit in on regular class so they don't feel left out).  the third best in California is UC-San Diego (spoiler alert, one of the best colleges on the planet)...the third best in Texas is University of Houston (a glorified community college). 

For as wealthy a state as we are, we are so fucking goddamned embarrassingly far behind in education...it's disgusting.  And our dorms state full of morons reflect(s) that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

From the interwebs...

Among U.S. universities, UCSB is ranked number 23. U.S. News & World Report has once again included UC Santa Barbara in its annual listing of the "Top 30 Public National Universities" in the country, as well on its list of the "Best National Universities."

Because we all know how objective those rankings can be....nor am I saying it's not a bad school.  Good on them.  Non-specialized undergrad degrees are becoming glorified HS diplomas anyway.  It's all about the ranking and quals of the major/department, not the overall school.  Doesn't UNT still have one of the best music departments in the country?  Overall, of course the school is ranked very low.  But that department, one of the best.  Back in the day, UTD had one of the best econ departments in the entire country

Veterinary @ A&M.  The biz, law, and engineering @ Texas, etc.  

Good point about UNT.  The music school is almost beyond rival.  Up there with Yale's in most respects.  

UC-SB is a great public all the way around, comparable to UT-Austin in almost every regard.  Somebody got started on comparing publics across state lines, and here we are discussing spanish-influenced Bauhaus architecture.  But not the bury the headline, education in the State of Texas is a fucking comical joke, a national embarrassment.  We're discussing what is probably the third best public in California (UC-SB & UC-SD and UC-I kind of all 3/3a/3b) and it's internationally renown.  Our #3 is probably University of Houston or Texas Tech.  Colleges that might land you a general manager spot at a Buc-ees. 

9 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Good point about UNT.  The music school is almost beyond rival.  Up there with Yale's in most respects.  

UC-SB is a great public all the way around, comparable to UT-Austin in almost every regard.  Somebody got started on comparing publics across state lines, and here we are discussing spanish-influenced Bauhaus architecture.  But not the bury the headline, education in the State of Texas is a fucking comical joke, a national embarrassment.  We're discussing what is probably the third best public in California (UC-SB & UC-SD and UC-I kind of all 3/3a/3b) and it's internationally renown.  Our #3 is probably University of Houston or Texas Tech.  Colleges that might land you a general manager spot at a Buc-ees. 

It’s great we have some good vet schools and some music programs. The entire UC system is selective, major tier 1 research universities. It’s not just undergrad education, these are engines of economic growth.

For straight affordable undergrad education the Cal State system is also damn good, by the way. 

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

No, I get it.  But a national embarrassment?  Little hyperbolic.  I still fall back on the department comparisons for your respective major.  That is what really matters.  Everything else is just window dressing and peacocking about rankings for other departments you are not even enrolled in (looking at you general studies, gender studies, communication, etc. majors)

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Including private schools:

The state of Texas has three great music schools: UT, UNT, and Rice. SMU and Houston both have access to great professional orchestras, so their classical performance teaching will be excellent as well. Honestly, any school near a big city will do that well.

California has UCLA, USC, Colburn, San Francisco Conservatory, and Cal Arts. Probably some others that I’m forgetting as well. In the orchestral job market, Colburn might be the best in the world at turning out students that win auditions.

• Hook 'Em 1

We do have really great, and terribly underrated, music schools in Texas.  I got to serve on the search committee at Butler when we hired MEP away from San Francisco Conservatory.  We just lost her to Carnegie Mellon, but it was understandable---there she gets to be Dean of the whole Fine Arts college (she was "just" Music School Director at UT, a point of some controversy for another thread).  

That said, our short list to replace her, includes a very high-up at Colburn and one at Berklee (MA).  Fingers crossed.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Hell, I would even go so far as to say it's really 3/3a/3b/3c when you add in UC-D. Realistically, the 7th best UC school is, at worst, on par with the 2nd best Texas school.

But how does California stack up against us in Bible-based colleges like Abilene Christian, Southwestern Assemblies of God University, Wayland Baptist, Howard Payne, Hardin-Simmons and Mary Hardin - Baylor?

More importantly I bet the football teams at all those schools would kick the shit out of California comps, if there are any, which I doubt, because they are all godless Marxiss communiss. 

• Haha 1

Seems odd the fire code would allow for all those kids in one building with just two exits.

Kids choose UCSB because of its proximity to the beach. None of 'em would choose to reside in a windowless closet. I can't imagine any parent doing so. The school is very tough to get into, not cheap at all, and there's no shortage of privileged kids who'd reject this bullshit dorm without a second thought.

My sister attended UCSB and lived in a dorm for a while that was the staging point for at least a couple suicides per year. Two 10-story towers. Student housing at UCSB is very challenging - yet this dorm design would be a white elephant in record time. It's a disgrace that the plans have evolved to this point.

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

For as wealthy a state as we are, we are so fucking goddamned embarrassingly far behind in education...it's disgusting.  And our dorms reflect that.

If we're being honest with ourselves, which I know is generally frowned upon, the hoarding of state resources by one system is the main cause of the weak public university system at large in Texas.  It would take decades to catch up to what California has built, but we should probably at least try.

4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

From the interwebs...

I just checked UCSB is #5 of public schools and the UC system has 6 in the top 10.

1. UCLA

2. UC-Berkeley

3. Michigan

4. Virginia 

5. UC-Santa Barbara

6. Florida 

7. North Carolina 

8. UC-San Diego 

9. UC-Irvine

10. (tie) Texas, UC-Davis, William & Mary, Georgia Tech

26. (tie) aggy

33. (tie) UC-Riverside

38. (tie) UC-Merced

46. (tie) UC-Santa Cruz

68. (tie) UT-Dallas

88. (tie) Houston

107. (tie) Texas Tech

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/top-public

14 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

If we're being honest with ourselves, which I know is generally frowned upon, the hoarding of state resources by one system is the main cause of the weak public university system at large in Texas.  It would take decades to catch up to what California has built, but we should probably at least try.

How about 7 competing 4 year university systems in Texas versus 2 in California.  Fold the others into UT and aggy and the resources will be shared.

Bring UH and Tech into UT and have UNT, TX State, and Texas Women’s join aggy and call it a day.

The funding of the PUF is the only thing keep UT-Austin in the top 10, the state doesn’t fund higher Ed like California does.  We could selectively add a school or two (like Tech/UH who are at/near the top 100 public university rankings) and help raise their profile even more with more funding, but if you disperse it to SFA, Midwestern St, UH-Victoria, UNT-Dallas, TWU you basically just water down the return and get nothing out of it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

So one of this lunatic’s goals is to prove how you can save money using prefabricated materials and identical floor plans, yet the projected cost is $1.5 BILLION? For a dorm? WTF is going on here.

Also, the fake window is 10x more depressing than having no window at all. Oh boy, looks like a sunny day today! I’m totally not sad anymore!

8 hours ago, Auto Driller said:

So one of this lunatic’s goals is to prove how you can save money using prefabricated materials and identical floor plans, yet the projected cost is $1.5 BILLION? For a dorm? WTF is going on here.

Also, the fake window is 10x more depressing than having no window at all. Oh boy, looks like a sunny day today! I’m totally not sad anymore!

How about meeellyuns of fake windows as here, on the Harris County Jail?

harris-county-jail-01.jpg?itok=N-ewa_W5

On 10/31/2021 at 3:05 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

From the googler machine:

And yet, the latest census bureau report says that California is both the wealthiest stateand has the highest poverty rate in the country at 24 percent — meaning almost a quarter of Californians live in poverty.

I’m not trying to shit on CA , I was born and raised in southern CA before moving to Dallas in HS. This summer we drove from Santa Monica to Monterey Peninsula And back (went through Big Sur). Spent a night in Santa Barbara and walked UCSB for an hour or so. Csb 

Edited by jdhorn92

10 hours ago, Auto Driller said:

LOL, you know exactly what is going on.  This giant spend & build jobs have so much baked in grift it's laughable.