Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

IT

JUAN DAVIS

The 2021 Everman athlete called me on his break while working at Wing Stop. He also doesn't watch football, just plays it. Without knowing anything else I like him already.

Here are the particulars on a player who will undoubtedly blow up this fall.

-- He's one of a handful of recruits Texas has been real early on. Currently Texas and SMU are showing the most interest.

-- Texas likes him at TE where he has dual blocking and receiving ability. He's a physical kid but has good hands as well.

-- TCU had him at camp and had him work both sides of the ball. Indeed, he'd be a good B-backer prospect for UT if they already didn't like him at tight end. "They see me as TE, slot, wide receiver. They compared me to Lil'Jordan Humphrey."

-- He visited Texas recently. "It was great, they were just asking me how I liked it and if I could see myself there. I liked it, I've already been thinking about going there."

LJ JOHNSON

Johnson is the rising junior Cy-Fair running back the staff recently offered after having the benefit of seeing him at camp in East Texas. After a 15 minute conversation it's clear this kid would be a dream to coach. You can tell he's grateful to be in the position he is and won't waste the opportunity.

Johnson and his parents visited Texas on Monday. They were able to visit with Stan Drayton -- who actually toured them around campus -- and watch a little film. They also met with Tom Herman.

Johnson specifically mentioned Drayton's resume and how it was a privilege that Drayton liked his game. He said Drayton outlined what a great system fit he is, "It's the same running game they just do it out of different formations."

All in all it was a good, informative trip. Up next is Alabama. He also wants to visit the Oklahoma schools.

Johnson says he'll probably decide during his senior year but he'll likely take spring official visits. He also says he's likely to enroll early.

BROCKERMEYERS

The Brockermeyer recruitments aren't the easiest to write about because anything written will be over-analyzed and probably misinterpreted. I still think they'll end up at Texas but they are not going through the process under that assumption.

They recently visited Clemson, Georgia, and Alabama -- the holy trinity of the current recruiting hegemony.

Both Clemson and Alabama separated themselves as formidable competition for Texas. I didn't hear anything negative about Georgia, I just detected more excitement about the other two.

Clemson's culture and the way they operate really stood out. If you visit Clemson they take that as a legitimate sign of interest and they'll reciprocate (recall even Zach Evans had to visit in order to receive an offer). They're taking a pretty small 2021 OL class but expect them to offer James eventually. Interest is in the infant stages for both sides and I suspect the Brockermeyers will do more research, particularly on the offensive linemen Clemson has (or haven't) developed.

Both Clemson and Alabama want James to weigh more before they offer. He's currently 253 and Georgia mentioned 270 while Alabama mentioned 275 as target weights. It's a stupid hurdle for him to climb given his trajectory but these are the kinds of things you get away with when you're at the top.

Alabama is Alabama and they're certainly going to be all in on Tommy. They made that clear. James camped, fared quite well, and received a lot of personal attention. Alabama typically converts a plodding (by their standards) guard to center but mentioned wanting more quickness. That would be something James provides.

Up next for the family is Notre Dame on Wednesday and Thursday.

SUNDRY
-- Preston Stone is the likely 2021 quarterback take and we'd guess he'll be a Horn commit before the end of summer. To say he's high on UT is an understatement. If Texas can close it out, he'll be a great representative on the camp circuit and may even lend a helping hand to 2020 wide receiver recruiting.
-- 2021 OL Hayden Conner had a productive trip to UT recently. He learned a lot about the Aerospace program and spent time on Friday and Saturday with Herb Hand. He also spent time on Saturday with Coach Herman.

Edited by Machinator

21 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I really like Savion Byrd, but it's hard to imagine he's a better prospect than Tommy B right now.

I think Tommy is a better prospect, but if you’re trying to make a case for Byrd, it’s that he more than held his own against against big school 6A playoff competition as a sophomore, and he’s one of the most athletic OL prospects with the requisite size that you’ll ever come across 

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think Tommy is a better prospect, but if you’re trying to make a case for Byrd, it’s that he more than held his own against against big school 6A playoff competition as a sophomore, and he’s one of the most athletic OL prospects with the requisite size that you’ll ever come across 

Why not both? Loser gets "demoted" to RT?

Full list of TX guys in the Rivals100

5 RB Camar Wheaton

7 OL Savion Byrd

10 OL Tommy Brockerymeyer

20 QB Preson Stone

38 DL Ja'Tavion Sanders

40 OL Donovan Jackson

64 DL Landon Jackson

71 DL Tunmise Adeleye

73 CB Latrell McCutchin

74 WR Quaydarius Davis

80 WR Shadrach Banks

86 DL Marcus Burris

88 ATH Billy Bowman

90 OL Bryce Foster

96 WR Latrell Neville

97 OL Jaeden Roberts

98 QB Jalen Milroe

17 total

For reference there are 14 TX kids in the 2020 Rivals100 so I guess it's not too far out of the ordinary. We do look really good at the top of the 2021 list though. Landing two top 10 tackles in one class would be insane. 

Spiegelman has an article with Wheaton

Spoiler

Newly minted five-star 2021 running back 

isn't one for chatting. He rarely tweets -- especially when it comes to offers or college visits -- and was actually taken back to see his offer sheet balloon over recent months.

Wheaton, the No. 5-ranked prospect in the land for the 2021 recruiting cycle, admitted that certain schools have caught his attention. In between visits to Ohio State, LSU, Notre Dame, Kansas Texas and Alabama, Wheaton broke down some of his top teams with Rivals.

IN HIS OWN WORDS

On Alabama: "Well, they offered me when I went out there. They have a good training facility. I've been to many colleges and the coaches there, the training facilities there ... it isn't close. It's so good. I like how they take care of their players. Everything (on that visit) was great, the pool, the indoor pools, where the players can work out. In the locker room, it was just different. It's not like everyone else's. It felt like a dream talking to Coach (Nick) Saban."

On Georgia: "I haven't visited Georgia, but when I first got the offer I was so excited. The running backs coach (Dell McGee) came by and I got to meet him and it was cool. They have such a good past history of running backs and that really matters to me."

On Texas: "It was good (visiting Texas). They were showing me a lot of love on that visit and everybody was shaking my hand. I really that they didn't let a coach pass by me without them speaking to me. That was a good feeling."

On Oklahoma: "I was surprised (when I got offered). At first, I didn't even know there was a difference between Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, but when I found out I was really happy. When I realized it was Oklahoma, I was happy. Oklahoma, right now, is recruiting at a way higher level."

On TCU: "TCU has always been one of my favorite colleges. I don't really like to watch college football, but I watch TCU. I have a lot of members of my family that went there, a couple of cousins, so I like it there."

On Oklahoma State: "They are probably the school that texts me the most. Every time I look at my phone, I see it. Oklahoma State is way more active (than other schools)."

RIVALS REACTION

Wheaton named those schools as the teams that caught his attention after a busy spring evaluation period. He's made spring trips to Texas and Alabama and recently went on a summer tour that included stops at Kansas, Ohio State and Notre Dame.

He also named Alabama as a school he'd like to return to. He also intends on making a visit up to Norman to check out Oklahoma, though no visit is imminent at this point.

Wheaton indicated that he has an equal relationship with all of the schools that have offered him and are recruiting him. The communication is daily.

It's way too early to name a favorite here, but it's clear that the Crimson Tide coaches and the visit to Tuscaloosa grabbed his attention. Then again, this recruitment is just beginning to take off and there's a long way to the finish line.

Pretty useless and not as positive as reports from other sites, but that quote on Oklahoma is hilarious

Just now, Enchubben said:

24-AA76-B8-26-B7-40-E6-9-B06-FE6864-D68-

Texas in state player rankings. Top 5 sweep, is that good? Did we break it?

One of those is a Drayton recruitment, one is a Giles guy, and one plays a level removed from peewee football if you ask ctj or futureman (what a weird pair to quote together). Don't get too excited yet.

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

One of those is a Drayton recruitment, one is a Giles guy, and one plays a level removed from peewee football if you ask ctj or futureman (what a weird pair to quote together). Don't get too excited yet.

Too late. Boner engaged.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Hopefully Beck is the lead man on Sanders like he is with Dorbah.

No reason not to land 3 elite DL this class.

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ransam and Bijan to tOSU might make for a top 10 all time recruiting meltdown on Surly. Maybe even top 5. Glad I don't think that's too likely. 

I'll be showing up with gas cans and blow torches, plus probably hand grenades and fireworks. The last time things will have looked that ugly would either be Chicago, circa 1871, or London, circa 1666, motherfuckers.

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Our reasons for not wanting Stone are not the same, and you know that, dickhead. My bro, futureman, thinks Stone shrinks from competition and bullies weak competition to gain notoriety. My view is that Brad McCoy and Gale Gilbert couldn't hover the way Preston Stone's father will. Plus, I think he'll be an injury problem in Herman's current form of offense. 

One thing I know is certain. If Preston Stone signs with Texas, I will be highly entertained with the trolling opportunities in the aftermath of both commitment and signing, as well as the duration of his time on campus.

28 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'll be showing up with gas cans and blow torches, plus probably hand grenades and fireworks. The last time things will have looked that ugly would either be Chicago, circa 1871, or London, circa 1666, motherfuckers.

Our reasons for not wanting Stone are not the same, and you know that, dickhead. My bro, futureman, thinks Stone shrinks from competition and bullies weak competition to gain notoriety. My view is that Brad McCoy and Gale Gilbert couldn't hover the way Preston Stone's father will. Plus, I think he'll be an injury problem in Herman's current form of offense. 

One thing I know is certain. If Preston Stone signs with Texas, I will be highly entertained with the trolling opportunities in the aftermath of both commitment and signing, as well as the duration of his time on campus.

You forgot to mention that his hands arent even big enough to cradle an A-cup and that his haircut makes you wonder if he doesnt have a little Gale Gilbert in him after all. 

At least he can get a haircut. 

32 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I'm going to be quite gruntled if/when Stone commits

CTJ's daddy issues aside, are we really going to let futureman determine this board's opinion of a prospect?

Don't know about any of CTJ's daddy issues. I do remember some weird aversion to Cheerios or some shit that is likely rooted in a bizarre trauma he experienced during the anal stage of psychosocial development. 

7 hours ago, KYHorn said:

Don't know about any of CTJ's daddy issues. I do remember some weird aversion to Cheerios or some shit that is likely rooted in a bizarre trauma he experienced during the anal stage of psychosocial development. 

Heh. Anal.

45 minutes ago, CBHorn said:

What if I told you that the very same helicopter dad was college roommates with Jordan and Jaxon Shipley's dad?

In that case, I would say that I bet he has some wild VHS tapes where he filmed Shipley's dad having sex.

Can someone dare predict the 2021 class? Read somewhere that right now, it would be a 20 player class. That number probably goes up.

QB x 1

RB x 2

WR x 3

TE x 1

OL x 5

DL x 2

LB x 2

DB x4

Edited by JNip

15 minutes ago, JNip said:

Can someone dare predict the 2021 class? Read somewhere that right now, it would be a 20 player class. That number probably goes up.

QB x 1

RB x 2

WR x 3

TE x 1

OL x 5

DL x 2

LB x 2

DB x4

It's going to be over.. Have a feeling we will have a few players declaring early, especially after a Championship season

10 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

It's going to be over.. Have a feeling we will have a few players declaring early, especially after a Championship season

I don't think this is likely.

Who do you think is going to declare? Honestly? We're sort of in a gap of player ages. MOST of our elite talent is true sophomores or younger. Of our juniors, I don't see Ehlinger going anywhere. Cosmi is a redshirt Soph, so he could go, but that seems unlikely. Literally most of our Junior class is just not elite talent or would have to have some kind of insane breakout seasons to go pro, like All American and award winning type seasons. I mean outside of who is mentioned your best shots are Kerstetter and Chris Brown...maybe Josh Thompson? Most of the guys in contention have never even started more than a handful of games and are extremely unproven or haven't shown draftable types of skills.  

Would love to be proven incorrect. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

30 minutes ago, JNip said:

QB x 1

RB x 2

WR x 3

TE x 1

OL x 5

DL x 2

LB x 2

DB x4

Still too early to worry about