Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Eric Nahlin: The 2021 QB Class is Loaded

It isn’t too frequently you’ll see this many quality quarterback options for in-state schools to focus on but in 2021 the most important position on the field is no different than the rest of the class — loaded. We know Tom Herman and Tim Beck have their eyes on highly rated Preston Stone from Parish Episcopal but they aren’t just sitting on their hands waiting for him to commit, they’re being proactive when it comes to evaluating all options in state and out-of-state. Wanting to get the take of a pro I sought out my best quarterback source to get his opinion on the class. Like the Texas coaches, he was recently on the road putting his eyes on players. He'll differ in opinions with the staff in some places, but even members of the same staff don't always agree. His opinions have a lot of value so I figured I'd pass them along with some additional commentary.

IT: What's your take the 2021quarterback class?

Source: It's really good, deep too.

IT: Yeah, you hear a lot about Stone but I like a few more guys as well. What's your take on these guys?

Source: Eli Stowers (Denton Guyer), Garrett Nussmeier (Flower Mound Marcus), and Behren Morton (Eastland) are standing out to me.

IT: No Preston Stone?

Source: I have him in the top tier too. Elite thrower and athletic enough to hurt teams. Just probably not the best use of our time.

IT: What's your take on the guys you mentioned?

Source: Stowers is an elite athlete that has improved as a passer and will continue. He needs to take a jump this year throwing and winning games. With his tools he should be dominant. He's top tier. What Nussmeier lacks in size he makes up for with the swagger you want in a quarterback. Confident, competitive, carries himself well. Quick release and spins it. Like him a lot. Morton is ultra-competitive. He should dominate his competition this fall. I like him a lot too.

IT: A great thing about Stowers is he could play tight end if quarterback doesn't work out.

Source: I agree with that.

IT: I'm interested in Jalen Milroe (Katy Tompkins). He's impressed me when I've seen him.

Source: He's another in the top tier. Similar to Nussmeier with intangibles.

IT: I think he could emerge as the best one and I hear that Alabama offer is committable. Jalen Hurts might be a good comp now that I think of it. What do you think of Sawyer Robertson (Lubbock Coronado). I think 247 went a little crazy with his ranking.

Source: Right on the fence as top tier to me. Need to get to know him better. Upside is big like Morton due to multiple sports.

IT: Other guys you like who might not be at the top?

Source: Daniel Greek (Liberty Christian), Jalen Kitna (Frisco Reedy), Tyler Webb (Waco Midway), and a couple others. A few guys who have been backups or are backups will be worth a look.

IT: You left off a big name -- Dematrius Davis (North Shore).

Source: Definitely a winner but not quite sold on him.

IT: He's a bit of a hard eval for me but damn that kid might be the first guy I’d pick if building a high school team. Reminds me of a bigger D'Eriq King -- not as athletic. I was wrong on King.

Source: King's a lot better than I thought he'd be too.

IT: Happy hunting, coach.

######

When a staff extends an offer it peels back the curtain ever so slightly on its big board. For 2021 we know Stone is the lead dog, but the staff also recently offered Jake Garcia from Southern California. Garcia may have legit interest in Texas, or it could have been motivation for Stone to shut things down this summer. Now that it’s camp season they're able to put their eyes on guys they need a better look at and confirm evaluations or discredit them.

Garrett Nussmeier threw for Texas recently and according to Garrett that went well and he's supposed to hear from the staff soon. I’m a fan and agree with the source above about him as a passer. On Monday, Dematrius Davis threw for Texas coaches at the TSU camp for an extended period of time. He received a lot of attention from both Tom Herman and Tim Beck. Herman and Beck also spent some time chatting with Davis' parents. In the last month or so interest from UT has picked up on Davis and they'd like him to visit Austin again. I don't think that visit will happen without an offer but it is instructive that Texas is picking the pace up with him. Right now I like Nebraska or A&M for Davis.

The staff has also been researching Milroe who I think might be the best fit in the class for what we currently know of the Texas offense. That is by no means to say Stone isn't a fit. My source above said it himself -- Stone is athletic enough to hurt defenses. I just have a good feeling regarding Milroe. I think he has good mental and physical traits. Stone is still the most likely target to end up in the class but for now the staff is doing its diligence in case they need to alter course.

10 hours ago, satyanash said:

Eric Nahlin: The 2021 QB Class is Loaded

Hide contents

It isn’t too frequently you’ll see this many quality quarterback options for in-state schools to focus on but in 2021 the most important position on the field is no different than the rest of the class — loaded. We know Tom Herman and Tim Beck have their eyes on highly rated Preston Stone from Parish Episcopal but they aren’t just sitting on their hands waiting for him to commit, they’re being proactive when it comes to evaluating all options in state and out-of-state. Wanting to get the take of a pro I sought out my best quarterback source to get his opinion on the class. Like the Texas coaches, he was recently on the road putting his eyes on players. He'll differ in opinions with the staff in some places, but even members of the same staff don't always agree. His opinions have a lot of value so I figured I'd pass them along with some additional commentary.

IT: What's your take the 2021quarterback class?

Source: It's really good, deep too.

IT: Yeah, you hear a lot about Stone but I like a few more guys as well. What's your take on these guys?

Source: Eli Stowers (Denton Guyer), Garrett Nussmeier (Flower Mound Marcus), and Behren Morton (Eastland) are standing out to me.

IT: No Preston Stone?

Source: I have him in the top tier too. Elite thrower and athletic enough to hurt teams. Just probably not the best use of our time.

IT: What's your take on the guys you mentioned?

Source: Stowers is an elite athlete that has improved as a passer and will continue. He needs to take a jump this year throwing and winning games. With his tools he should be dominant. He's top tier. What Nussmeier lacks in size he makes up for with the swagger you want in a quarterback. Confident, competitive, carries himself well. Quick release and spins it. Like him a lot. Morton is ultra-competitive. He should dominate his competition this fall. I like him a lot too.

IT: A great thing about Stowers is he could play tight end if quarterback doesn't work out.

Source: I agree with that.

IT: I'm interested in Jalen Milroe (Katy Tompkins). He's impressed me when I've seen him.

Source: He's another in the top tier. Similar to Nussmeier with intangibles.

IT: I think he could emerge as the best one and I hear that Alabama offer is committable. Jalen Hurts might be a good comp now that I think of it. What do you think of Sawyer Robertson (Lubbock Coronado). I think 247 went a little crazy with his ranking.

Source: Right on the fence as top tier to me. Need to get to know him better. Upside is big like Morton due to multiple sports.

IT: Other guys you like who might not be at the top?

Source: Daniel Greek (Liberty Christian), Jalen Kitna (Frisco Reedy), Tyler Webb (Waco Midway), and a couple others. A few guys who have been backups or are backups will be worth a look.

IT: You left off a big name -- Dematrius Davis (North Shore).

Source: Definitely a winner but not quite sold on him.

IT: He's a bit of a hard eval for me but damn that kid might be the first guy I’d pick if building a high school team. Reminds me of a bigger D'Eriq King -- not as athletic. I was wrong on King.

Source: King's a lot better than I thought he'd be too.

IT: Happy hunting, coach.

######

When a staff extends an offer it peels back the curtain ever so slightly on its big board. For 2021 we know Stone is the lead dog, but the staff also recently offered Jake Garcia from Southern California. Garcia may have legit interest in Texas, or it could have been motivation for Stone to shut things down this summer. Now that it’s camp season they're able to put their eyes on guys they need a better look at and confirm evaluations or discredit them.

Garrett Nussmeier threw for Texas recently and according to Garrett that went well and he's supposed to hear from the staff soon. I’m a fan and agree with the source above about him as a passer. On Monday, Dematrius Davis threw for Texas coaches at the TSU camp for an extended period of time. He received a lot of attention from both Tom Herman and Tim Beck. Herman and Beck also spent some time chatting with Davis' parents. In the last month or so interest from UT has picked up on Davis and they'd like him to visit Austin again. I don't think that visit will happen without an offer but it is instructive that Texas is picking the pace up with him. Right now I like Nebraska or A&M for Davis.

The staff has also been researching Milroe who I think might be the best fit in the class for what we currently know of the Texas offense. That is by no means to say Stone isn't a fit. My source above said it himself -- Stone is athletic enough to hurt defenses. I just have a good feeling regarding Milroe. I think he has good mental and physical traits. Stone is still the most likely target to end up in the class but for now the staff is doing its diligence in case they need to alter course.

Wow this might be the best in state class in 15 years. 

IT

CLAYTON SMITH

When the 2021 Texas High OLB took a trip to Austin for Junior Day in February, neither he nor the UT staff knew what to expect.

Coach Warehime was sent his film, but they wanted to see him up close. The 6-foot-3.5, 215-pounder was as advertised.

Smith and his family then returned for the spring game in April. When Smith left, he had a great idea of what he wanted; a Texas offer.

That came through on Tuesday.

“It felt like I completed a milestone,” said Smith. “I’ve been waiting for this since I was a kid and I’m proud of myself for getting it and I’m thankful to Coach Orlando and Coach Herman for believing in me.”

LSU, Arkansas, Ole Miss, OU, and others have offered since March. The kid nobody knew about from Texarkana became the prospect everyone is familiar with.

Smith camped at Memphis yesterday and picked up an offer. Why the long drive to a G5 program? That’s where his father played college football.

“It’s a great feeling, my dad always told me he wanted me to do what he did and surpass him, so it’s like I’m fulfilling his legacy,” Smith said after the trip.

For now, Smith has a return trip scheduled to Austin on June 21st. The big visit weekend just got a little bigger.

This recruitment doesn’t have a decision timeline, just know Texas looks outstanding here.

LAKE McREE

Texas is searching for a TE in the 2021 class, and they might not have to look too far. Lake Travis TE Lake McRee picked up a UT offer a couple months ago, and made his way back to the Forty Acres on Tuesday for his first visit with an offer in hand.

Inside Texas: How was the evening with the Texas coaches? Was this your first chance to return to campus since receiving your offer?

Lake McRee: Yes sir, this was my first chance to return to the campus since my offer. I had a great time with Coach Warehime and all the coaching staff as usual. I also got to see the entire facility with Coach Warehime and my dad prior to the camp, which I loved.

IT: I know Lake Travis isn’t too far and you have some familiarity with the program, but was that the first time you were able to see the facility and the planned upgrades up close?

LM: Yes, I got to briefly see the facility when I attended the junior day but yesterday I got to see much more with a lot more detail.

IT: You’ve added Texas A&M, Houston, SMU, and Purdue offers since I spoke with you (and UNC offered after this conversation). Are there any other schools that have offered you since then or are close to doing so?

LM: There haven’t been any since then because SMU actually offered me yesterday at the camp, so they were my most recent. I’m talking to a few schools and attending their camps such as Notre Dame and USC

IT: Back in April, you said you wanted to see how the spring went before giving an answer on what your next step would be. Now that spring football is behind you, do you know what the next step in your recruitment is likely to be?

LM: I have an idea of who my top schools are and as of right now I think I am going to take all five of my official visits before I make any decisions.

ETHAN DOWNS

Another candidate for 2021 TE, and a candidate for several different positions on both sides of the ball, is Ethan Downs out of Weatherford, OK.

Downs has eight offers to his name and all of them come from Power 5 schools. The 6-foot-4, 220 pounder caught up with Inside Texas while traveling for another camp at LSU.

Inside Texas: In addition to UT and OU, you’ve picked up some big offers over the last month or so. What’s the experience been like receiving offers from not just schools in the region, but from some national powers from around the country?

Ethan Downs: It’s been amazing and a dream come true. What I dreamed of as a kid, playing on TV, is more obtainable than ever before. Going to camps has expanded my skill-set so I can better my team. Me putting my heart into football has attracted a lot of these colleges and it’s humbling to get this much attention from legendary schools. God has given me all of it.

IT: Did you camp at UT Tuesday, and what position did the coaches have you work at?

ED: Yes, I went as a defensive end.

IT: You camped at DE, but did they speak about other positions with you? You move better than most players your size.

ED: Initially, Coach Warehime recruited me as a TE. With my success at DE lately, they’ve been wanting to see me on defense.

IT: I know it’s still pretty early in the process for you, but how does receiving an offer affect where Texas stands in your recruitment, and is it a place you could visit for a game this season?

ED: My recruitment is completely open and I would love to come to a game, but we have to see if we can fit it into my schedule because right now winning a state championship is my priority.

IT: When you’re making these visits, what program aspect are you focusing on most? Or are you just trying to absorb everything from the visit?

ED: I really focus on the people, I do absorb everything but the relationships among people is the most important in my opinion.

IT: What are some of the other plans you have for this summer, camp- or visit-wise?

ED: The rest of the week we will be stopping by LSU for a visit, then heading to Gulfport for a little vacation, then headed to Alabama Saturday for another OL/DL camp. The next week, we will be going to Arkansas for another Elite Camp. The rest of my summer is occupied with our summer weightlifting program and a RYLA leadership camp.

Some people think he's the best WR prospect in Texas regardless of classification.  Dez Bryant 2.0.  Texas has been on him hard.  I don't know why, but I get Zach Evans vibes from this as far as his recruitment goes... not his character.  We'll be in the lead until the likes of Bama, LSU, aggy, UGA, start bidding for him.  

21 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Some people think he's the best WR prospect in Texas regardless of classification.  Dez Bryant 2.0.  Texas has been on him hard.  I don't know why, but I get Zach Evans vibes from this as far as his recruitment goes... not his character.  We'll be in the lead until the likes of Bama, LSU, aggy, UGA, start bidding for him.  

Nah. As long as we have Samples on the staff I'm not worried.

1 hour ago, cdain3 said:

20 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Are Samples pockets deep?

Hopefully Samples shows some decent on field coaching ability and can eventually slide into a RB/WR on the field role, he would be deadly on the road recruiting. 

1 hour ago, cdain3 said:

Does he really have that much pull with Skyline?  Waddle, Wilson, Wease, Wright, Demas... we missed on all of them.  I just have the same feeling with this kid.  We led for all of those guys at one point except for Wease.  Hell Demas was basically living on campus and then out of the blue commits to aggy after them not making his top 5.  You know how these recruitments go.   Jeudy is going in the first round for Bama after this year.  They will sell him on all the WRs they have put in the league and will dump money on his front door.  I don't see CJ getting drafted too high as NFL teams don't seem to value big slow possession WRs.  We also don't seem to have any bagmen.  I'm not getting my hopes up.

5 hours ago, victory88 said:

Does he really have that much pull with Skyline?  Waddle, Wilson, Wease, Wright, Demas... we missed on all of them.  I just have the same feeling with this kid.  We led for all of those guys at one point except for Wease.  Hell Demas was basically living on campus and then out of the blue commits to aggy after them not making his top 5.  You know how these recruitments go.   Jeudy is going in the first round for Bama after this year.  They will sell him on all the WRs they have put in the league and will dump money on his front door.  I don't see CJ getting drafted too high as NFL teams don't seem to value big slow possession WRs.  We also don't seem to have any bagmen.  I'm not getting my hopes up.

I’m going to go read a @satyanash post to cheer myself up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

I’m going to go read a @satyanash post to cheer myself up.

There’s only two settings with Victory88.  A few weeks ago he went on an equally intense rant about how LSU was going to get back on the bus at halftime and leave town, after picking up the rest of their team at St David’s hospital. . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

There’s only two settings with Victory88.  A few weeks ago he went on an equally intense rant about how LSU was going to get back on the bus at halftime and leave town, after picking up the rest of their team at St David’s hospital. . 

Oh, don’t even get me started.  We’re going to beat their ass into oblivion! 

Some 2021 recruiting in Roach's article

Mike at Night: Observations from Cal Lutheran camp

By MIKE ROACH 8 hours ago

—You can tell how much Cal Lutheran means to Tom Herman when you hear him talk about his time there. In observing Herman talking with different people at today’s camp, it’s clear that his college had a profound impact on him. It’s a big reason why Herman returns to “Cal Lu” each year for a camp, and the school is a factory for high school coaches all over the state of California.

—There’s a certain buzz when Texas is in California. While talking to many people who attended the camp, it’s clear that the west coast feels special when the Longhorns come to town. West coast kids seem to have an interest in Texas, because Austin provides a similar vibe to California. The state is also chock-full of passers and playing in the Big 12 is appetizing to them. There is also a group of prospects on the west coast looking for great academics and football. For them, Texas checks the boxes.

—Harbor City (Calif) Narbonne quarterback Jake Garcia was the big show on the field today. The 2021 prospect owns offers from nearly every big program in the nation, including Texas. Texas offensive coordinator Tim Beck watched Garcia closely today and took the time to provide several coaching points on his game. Garcia visited Austin last fall for a game, and he would like to get back to Texas.

—Speaking of Beck, observing him in a camp setting is enlightening. In just a few hours of observation, it’s clear that Beck knows what he’s talking about when it comes to developing quarterbacks. He’s incredibly detailed in his coaching, and he has a way of delivering feedback in a very blunt way without making it seem harsh. He approaches work at a camp in a very manner. On a field full of coaches, Beck was the alpha when it came to working with the quarterbacks.

—Gardena (Calif) Junipero Serra wide receiver LV Bunkley-Shelton (2020) was the talk of the camp. The four-star wide receiver turned heads with his fluidity and route running ability. He showed exceptional body control and made several plays in passing drills. He even lined up at corner and showed off quick feet. Bunkley-Shelton drew the eyes of the entire staff at one point, and it was enough to earn him a Texas offer following the camp.

—2021 Mission Hills (Calif) Bishop Alemany quarterback Miller Moss came in to camp after getting off of a plane. Moss camped at Alabama yesterday and earned an offer from the Tide. He’s a polished passer with great intelligence, and he can make plays in an RPO offense. The Longhorns have been in contact, and it wouldn’t be surprising to see them offer.

—2023 Los Alamitos (Calif) quarterback Malachi Nelson looks like the next big thing to come out of California. At 6-foot-2, Nelson possesses above-average athleticism and polished passing skills for his young age. Nelson made several big time throws during the camp, including an absolute bullet on a deep out. That’s a throw that NFL scouts use to determine ability from the position. The Texas staff took notice of Nelson, and they will likely watch him closely during his freshman season.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Football-Recruiting-Mike-at-Night-has-observations-from-Texas-Cal-Lutheran-satellite-camp-132689769/

Edited by LTtxfan