Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Carson? 
Guy can't even get on the field. Freshman passed him up this year.
Good chance the 2021 freshman will as well. 
Graham is a senior. He will play in the NFL no matter what. So why stick around and play for free. I like the idea of players going to the NFL not playing in the bowl game so younger players get more snaps 

Was simply answering the question that was asked. Will graham play in NFL, probably. Will he be drafted, probably not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, kwood4408 said:

Was simply answering the question that was asked. Will graham play in NFL, probably. Will he be drafted, probably not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think he will with a limited season across the board.. if he can perform well during the senior bowl practices and game, on top of a solid combine/pro day.. I can see him getting drafted late day 3

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

People on the coaching board keep mentioning muschamp as a great DC option. I may be remembering wrong, wasn’t he a very poor recruiter while at Texas? He was responsible for LB’s and we got stuck with guys like Patrick Nwo... whatever his name was.

You don't remember wrong . He did get Jordan Hicks.  But he had several bad misses that fucked our LB room.  Hard to know how much meddling by complacent Mack influenced this.  To me he is an above average DC who had the advantage of a roster full of NFL caliber players.  He is not some some defensive witch.

Edited by ClubWhatever
  • Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

You don't remember wrong . He did get Jordan Hicks.  But he had several bad misses that fucked our LB room.  Hard to know how much meddling by complacent Mack influenced this.  To me he is an above average DC who had the advantage of a roster full of NFL caliber players.  He is not some some defensive witch.

Yeah, I'm NOT a fan of Coach Boom returning as DC for TEXAS...

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

People on the coaching board keep mentioning muschamp as a great DC option. I may be remembering wrong, wasn’t he a very poor recruiter while at Texas? He was responsible for LB’s and we got stuck with guys like Patrick Nwo... whatever his name was.

Tariq Allen and Nwokapara were Muschamp guys but so were Jeffcoat and Hicks. So no issues with the recruiting.

8 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Now that Gus is out, can we go try and snag this kid -- https://247sports.com/player/dematrius-davis-46042948/

Put him on the field somewhere, kid just flat out wins

North Shore recruits are usually not interested in Texas. The staff there actively steers kids to SEC schools.

29 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Now that Gus is out, can we go try and snag this kid -- https://247sports.com/player/dematrius-davis-46042948/

Put him on the field somewhere, kid just flat out wins

Doubt we'd have interest since he probably wants to play QB. Also, I vaguely recall him posting  a bunch of anti-Texas stuff on his Twitter page, so it's probably a non-starter anyways.

3 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Sorry but for those of us who don't know, what was his connection to Texas? Wasn't paying much attention other than "oooh shit! We stole a 5 star outta Ohio? Fuck..." so forgive my ignorance. 

I coulda sworn someone on our staff worked with his mom in Colorado or something like that and that was the in.

But, maybe I have that all wrong?

Edited by TommyGufano
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Roach crystal ball... 🤘

"I put in a new Crystal Ball for Texas to land New Orleans (LA) Holy Cross DL Barryn Sorrell. I'll have more in The Stampede."

Tape isn't bad..

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9712684/5f7a2796f31c850accd24dde

https://247sports.com/player/barryn-sorrell-46099427/

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Roach crystal ball... 🤘

"I put in a new Crystal Ball for Texas to land New Orleans (LA) Holy Cross DL Barryn Sorrell. I'll have more in The Stampede."

Holy Cross is a good catholic school in Nola.  Kid shouldn't have academic issues.  Have a couple friends who went there.  All of them seemed to have their shit together.   

Roach Stampede

Spoiler

— The Early Signing Period begins Wednesday, and Texas is trying to add a few more prospects to the current class.  After talking with sources over the weekend, it sounds like the Longhorns could be close to adding two members to this current group.  Let’s start with Barryn Sorrell.  The three-star defensive lineman from New Orleans (LA.) completed his self-guided visit to Austin over the weekend along with his mother. From what I’ve heard everything went well, and Texas checks a lot of the boxes for him.

Even before the visit, two sources close to Sorrell were bullish on the Texas chances of landing him. Sorrell will announce his decision on Wednesday, and he will pick between the Longhorns, Virginia, Vanderbilt, Louisville and Arizona State. I’ve placed my Crystal Ball in favor of Texas.

— I believe Texas is closing in on landing Bryan (Texas) Rudder wide receiver Keithron Lee as well. Lee doesn’t say much, and he’s proven tough to get in touch with, but sources at Texas and at Rudder feel good about where the Longhorns stand with the big-play threat.

(Photo: Twitter, @Keithronlee)

I’m told that things with Lee were touch and go over the last week, and the announcement of support from Chris Del Conte concerning Tom Herman was enough to push Texas into a strong position. Right now, Lee is looking at making his decision on Christmas Day, but we are trying to confirm if he wants to sign early and announce on Christmas or announce on Christmas and sign in February. Lee would provide Texas with a versatile receiving threat who could play in the slot or on the outside.

— I checked with sources near Aledo wide receiver JoJo Earle, and there still seems to be some chatter he could delay his signature until February.  First, nobody at Aledo has been willing to say this will happen for sure, but there are some whispers it’s been discussed.  Texas and Florida have been in contact with Earle as of late, and Texas remained in contact since the time he made his original commitment to LSU in the spring.

JoJo Earle (Photo: Billy Embody, 247Sports)
Earle rarely talks to media and Aledo keeps information locked down pretty tight, but this is something we’ve been watching. A source in Austin tells me that Earle has remained responsive with Texas, and Jay Valai hasn’t eased up in his pursuit of the four-star prospect. There’s some slight optimism there, but it’s nothing I’d go crazy with right now. The first step is to see if Earle holds off on his signing or goes through with it.

—One other prospect to watch when it comes to a signature this week is Franklin (LA.) defensive end Gharin Stansbury. The lengthy edge rusher is currently committed to Arizona State, but I’m told that he’s a bit torn at the moment. Texas has been making a push there as well and landing Sorrell could help Texas. The Longhorns are battling Arizona State and Tennessee right now as all three schools make a big push down the stretch.

Texas has a huge need for edge rushers and Stansbury can get after the quarterback.  We will keep an eye on things and monitor any chatter coming out of his camp as we head toward Wednesday.

Ezra Dotson-Oyetade (Photo: 247Sports)

—The loss of Michael Myslinski isn’t necessarily huge for the class in terms of overall talent, but Texas will need to fill yet another hole in the offensive line unit.  It also represents a missed opportunity for the Longhorns.

If you recall, Texas chose to pursue Myslinski instead of all-American Garland Lakeview Centennial center Ezra Dotson-Oyetade during the summer, and Dotson-Oyetade committed to Arizona State. Sources near Dotson-Oyetade told Horns247 that Texas would have been a front runner had they offered in the spring or summer, but he hasn’t looked back since making his commitment to the Sun Devils. Now, Texas must go looking for a replacement if they can’t reacquire Myslinski, and he likely won’t be as talented as what they could have had with Dotson-Oyetade.

(Photo: Billy Embody, 247Sports)

—Speaking of offensive linemen, I was able to talk with Parish Episcopal OL Austin Uke over the weekend. I’ll have a story out later today, but Uke is a prospect Texas has been evaluating for a while. Whether by design or not, the Longhorns waited until Remington Strickland committed to Texas A&M before moving on Uke even though it was unlikely Strickland was going to end up at Texas. It sounds like Uke was excited by the offer, but he admitted that the timing of the offer was going to drop Texas in his book. Uke has been on the rise over the last two months picking up offers from around the country, and those around him feels the Texas staff drug their feet a little bit. Texas could potentially win him over if Uke waits until February to sign, but they will have some work in front of them regardless.

COMMENTS
—As we reported over the weekend, Texas commit Ishmael Ibraheem was arrested. Records show Ibraheem was released yesterday, and the charges to this point aren’t as much as were originally alleged. For now, it looks like Ibraheem will only be charged with evading police. I’ve heard from sources that Ibraheem might not have been present at the time of the crime and was instead guilty of riding in a stolen vehicle and running when confronted by police. As always, it’s a good idea to let the legal process play out fully and see what happens. Ibraheem was released on recognizance after bond was posted. Texas is aware of the situation and has been conducting its own fact-finding mission. At this point, I think it’s unlikely that Ibraheem signs with the Longhorns this week, but I’m not sure it’s a slam dunk that he’s out of the class for sure yet. A source I spoke with at Texas stressed they would let the legal process play out and gather the facts of the case before making any decision about Ibraheem’s future. We’ll continue to stay on top of this story and keep you updated as things move forward.

• Hook 'Em 5

On 12/13/2020 at 10:01 AM, Dbeasy said:

I don't quite get the love either. Do we even know he's still a good DC? He's only been one for a year in the last decade and the game has changed a lot since then. Not sure but I don't remember his SC/FL teams having special defenses. For an $800k salary, just keep Ash who did well even without an offseason this year.

On 12/13/2020 at 11:33 AM, Lonestar88 said:

I assure you, that doesn’t matter as much as you think it does.

It actually does. I personally know of two players that grew up dreaming of playing for Texas and were on the 2002 roster. One started for two years. Had offers to almost all Big 12 and SEC programs. 

Edited by Blackcat00

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Arizona State is a cool 1-2 with a total meltdown against USC and a bad loss to UCLA.

Yeah .. and Mensa’s a cool 1-4, if I recall, against OU ... and then there’s TCU ... all while being a complete flaming asshole.

Edited by VirginiaLonghorn

11 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Roach Stampede

Hide contents

— The Early Signing Period begins Wednesday, and Texas is trying to add a few more prospects to the current class.  After talking with sources over the weekend, it sounds like the Longhorns could be close to adding two members to this current group.  Let’s start with Barryn Sorrell.  The three-star defensive lineman from New Orleans (LA.) completed his self-guided visit to Austin over the weekend along with his mother. From what I’ve heard everything went well, and Texas checks a lot of the boxes for him.

Even before the visit, two sources close to Sorrell were bullish on the Texas chances of landing him. Sorrell will announce his decision on Wednesday, and he will pick between the Longhorns, Virginia, Vanderbilt, Louisville and Arizona State. I’ve placed my Crystal Ball in favor of Texas.

— I believe Texas is closing in on landing Bryan (Texas) Rudder wide receiver Keithron Lee as well. Lee doesn’t say much, and he’s proven tough to get in touch with, but sources at Texas and at Rudder feel good about where the Longhorns stand with the big-play threat.

(Photo: Twitter, @Keithronlee)

I’m told that things with Lee were touch and go over the last week, and the announcement of support from Chris Del Conte concerning Tom Herman was enough to push Texas into a strong position. Right now, Lee is looking at making his decision on Christmas Day, but we are trying to confirm if he wants to sign early and announce on Christmas or announce on Christmas and sign in February. Lee would provide Texas with a versatile receiving threat who could play in the slot or on the outside.

— I checked with sources near Aledo wide receiver JoJo Earle, and there still seems to be some chatter he could delay his signature until February.  First, nobody at Aledo has been willing to say this will happen for sure, but there are some whispers it’s been discussed.  Texas and Florida have been in contact with Earle as of late, and Texas remained in contact since the time he made his original commitment to LSU in the spring.

JoJo Earle (Photo: Billy Embody, 247Sports)
Earle rarely talks to media and Aledo keeps information locked down pretty tight, but this is something we’ve been watching. A source in Austin tells me that Earle has remained responsive with Texas, and Jay Valai hasn’t eased up in his pursuit of the four-star prospect. There’s some slight optimism there, but it’s nothing I’d go crazy with right now. The first step is to see if Earle holds off on his signing or goes through with it.

—One other prospect to watch when it comes to a signature this week is Franklin (LA.) defensive end Gharin Stansbury. The lengthy edge rusher is currently committed to Arizona State, but I’m told that he’s a bit torn at the moment. Texas has been making a push there as well and landing Sorrell could help Texas. The Longhorns are battling Arizona State and Tennessee right now as all three schools make a big push down the stretch.

Texas has a huge need for edge rushers and Stansbury can get after the quarterback.  We will keep an eye on things and monitor any chatter coming out of his camp as we head toward Wednesday.

Ezra Dotson-Oyetade (Photo: 247Sports)

—The loss of Michael Myslinski isn’t necessarily huge for the class in terms of overall talent, but Texas will need to fill yet another hole in the offensive line unit.  It also represents a missed opportunity for the Longhorns.

If you recall, Texas chose to pursue Myslinski instead of all-American Garland Lakeview Centennial center Ezra Dotson-Oyetade during the summer, and Dotson-Oyetade committed to Arizona State. Sources near Dotson-Oyetade told Horns247 that Texas would have been a front runner had they offered in the spring or summer, but he hasn’t looked back since making his commitment to the Sun Devils. Now, Texas must go looking for a replacement if they can’t reacquire Myslinski, and he likely won’t be as talented as what they could have had with Dotson-Oyetade.

(Photo: Billy Embody, 247Sports)

—Speaking of offensive linemen, I was able to talk with Parish Episcopal OL Austin Uke over the weekend. I’ll have a story out later today, but Uke is a prospect Texas has been evaluating for a while. Whether by design or not, the Longhorns waited until Remington Strickland committed to Texas A&M before moving on Uke even though it was unlikely Strickland was going to end up at Texas. It sounds like Uke was excited by the offer, but he admitted that the timing of the offer was going to drop Texas in his book. Uke has been on the rise over the last two months picking up offers from around the country, and those around him feels the Texas staff drug their feet a little bit. Texas could potentially win him over if Uke waits until February to sign, but they will have some work in front of them regardless.

COMMENTS
—As we reported over the weekend, Texas commit Ishmael Ibraheem was arrested. Records show Ibraheem was released yesterday, and the charges to this point aren’t as much as were originally alleged. For now, it looks like Ibraheem will only be charged with evading police. I’ve heard from sources that Ibraheem might not have been present at the time of the crime and was instead guilty of riding in a stolen vehicle and running when confronted by police. As always, it’s a good idea to let the legal process play out fully and see what happens. Ibraheem was released on recognizance after bond was posted. Texas is aware of the situation and has been conducting its own fact-finding mission. At this point, I think it’s unlikely that Ibraheem signs with the Longhorns this week, but I’m not sure it’s a slam dunk that he’s out of the class for sure yet. A source I spoke with at Texas stressed they would let the legal process play out and gather the facts of the case before making any decision about Ibraheem’s future. We’ll continue to stay on top of this story and keep you updated as things move forward.

So we could have had Ezra and Uke if we had at least shown interest/offered earlier and not put on a clown show?  What a shit show.  And those 2 would look pretty damn good right now in this class considering where we're at.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

19 minutes ago, quigley said:

Texas replacing Herman with Herm Edwards would be delightful for Sooner fans.

🤣

That wasn’t the discussion.

However, other than the Blake years, how else have the Sooners responded going back to the days when Switzer was their coach?

We have been and continue to be their bitch ... and they’re delighted to borrow your term.