Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:
2 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:
Yeah Im not seeing it with Casey. I hope Im wrong but I would be surprised if both JQJ and Card don't pass him up.

I'm not sure how anyone here has seen enough of either Casey or Card to have any opinion about either.

I agree with this 100% I don't get how anyone acts like they know how good or bad Casey is. On the topic of Casey, one thing I believe that I haven't heard many people say is that he has taken the path that every single QB recruit (Milroe) except for Freshman starters should take. Redshirt, grind in school to graduate in 3, and put yourself in a position to either start or grad transfer and start 2 years somewhere else. Joe Burrow is the shining example of this. QB is a unique spot where a guy might need to transfer even if they have NFL talent and have worked hard just because top schools take a top quarterback every single year. Look at the Ohio State QB room with Burrow. What I do know about Casey is that he has worked his ass off for 3 years, doesn't drink, eats right and has been taking hella class to put himself in a position to either start here or somewhere else for 2 years and get a shot at the NFL. Hella respect to him and his family for pushing him to take that route because its not easy to graduate in 3 playing D1 football. Idk if a coach could sell a recruit on taking this path but somebody who is a mentor to qb recruits should because it really is the best path for any QB with NFL aspirations. JQJ is a kid with an NFL arm, NFL size and NFL athleticism I don't think the speculation of him moving to LB is very realistic. He and Card should really both redshirt and compete and then whoever doesn't get the nod transfer and try to make it to the league from another school (hopefully in the Pac-12). QB is a tough spot for a kid trying to make the NFL. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Look who is stealing Surly content...

They were 4-6 last year and 3-7 the year prior (know they got destroyed (no shock) by Westlake). Kid had  a 55% completion rate last year and has had his QB rating get worse every year he played in high school. This is not the player to go after. I am fully prepared of course to see him go to ISU and cause Texas nightmares and to hear nonstop about how Texas didn't recruit him even though it was his dream school.

3 hours ago, Goodman said:

Please tell us who was/is better coming out of HS that we signed? 

You might be forgetting the hail mary and injury the last 2 years. Duncanville vs. NS 2 years ago was full of bad dudes, only 1 player looked like The man that game. That injury made a lot of folks forget just how bad of a dude JQJ is.

We signed a higher rated QB prospect in literally the same class. He's a good player. Best QB prospect we've signed in 18 years is silly. 

Edited by Hank_Hill

24 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I hate to be the guy to do this, but we need to pump the brakes on Joseph Ossai, future first rounder. 

Why? Because he has NFL measurables, in his first full season he put up very very good numbers playing way out of position most of the time, and I know he’s already on the radar of NFL scouts. And as a sophomore he put up stats almost identical to first round draft pick k’laivon chaisson at LSU. 

Perhaps the question is for you to qualify, specifically, why we should pump the brakes exactly? Because he has first round nfl draft pick all written all fucking over him. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Why? Because he has NFL measurables, in his first full season he put up very very good numbers playing way out of position most of the time, and I know he’s already on the radar of NFL scouts. And as a sophomore he put up stats almost identical to first round draft pick k’laivon chaisson at LSU. 

Perhaps the question is for you to qualify, specifically, why we should pump the brakes exactly? Because he has first round nfl draft pick all written all fucking over him. 

And the last game he played, a bowl game we were supposed to lose, he played his best game with 3 sacks and 5 tfls. And now he gets to play his NFL position.

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Why? Because he has NFL measurable, in his first full season he put up very very good numbers playing way out of position most of the time, and I know he’s already on the radar if NFL scouts. And as a sophomore he put up stats almost identical to first round draft pick k’laivon chaisson at LSU. 

Perhaps the question is for you to qualify, specifically, why we should pulp the brakes exactly?

He did get absolutely man-handled by Cosmi in the Bigs vs Bigs twitter clip from a few days ago, but I'm grasping at straws here.  He likely had limited space to work with in that drill.  Also, for whatever stupid reason Utah never adjusted their blocking scheme to account for him.  You can see he went up against what appeared to be an undersized TE most of that game (think it was 18).  That said, he is one of my favorite players and I have high expectations.  Just playing devil's advocate here.

Edited by Hmmm
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It wasn’t all bad. He did, eventually, find his helmet. 

I remember being hungover and desperately in need of deer corn the next morning so I went to the local aggy feed store and got hazed, even by some aggy kid. I did inquire what they’d won in anybody’s fucking lifetime but bought the corn anyway. When I got home and related this to mrs. sunshine she took the corn back herself and cussed everybody out for good measure 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Hmmm said:

He did get absolutely man-handled by Cosmi in the Bigs vs Bigs twitter clip from a few days ago, but I'm grasping at straws here.  He likely had limited space to work with in that drill.  Also, for whatever stupid reason Utah never adjusted their blocking scheme to account for him.  You can see he went up against what appeared to be an undersized TE most of that game (think it was 18).  That said, he is one of my favorite players and I have high expectations.  Just playing devil's advocate here.

So you’re retort is he had a bad single play in practice against another future first rounder? Oh and he might have had practice restrictions?

Sir, I hope you have the name of a reliable straw farmer so you can continue your limp-wristed graspbaggery. 

• Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, Hmmm said:

Dude, he was the best player on defense all year prior to being placed in his proper position.

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

So you’re retort is he had a bad single play in practice against another future first rounder? Oh and he might have had practice restrictions?

Sir, I hope you have the name of a reliable straw farmer so you can continue your limp-wristed graspbaggery. 

Like i said, I was grasping at straws.  Looked like two bad plays, one of them being a pancake.  And, it seems most of us expect him to declare after the season so comparing him against Cosmi isn't out of the ordinary.  

8 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Dude, he was the best player on defense all year prior to being placed in his proper position.

Agree in that he was the best player playing out of position.  That's not much of an argument on your part though (him being a first rounder at a position he hasn't played at unless you count Utah, which as I stated, he was matched against what appeared to be an undersized TE).  I don't expect that big of a mismatch in his new position this season.

Edited by Hmmm

Just now, Hmmm said:

Agree in that he was the best player playing out of position.  That's not much of an argument on your part though (him being a first rounder at a position he hasn't played at unless you count Utah, which as I stated, he was matched against what appeared to be an undersized TE.  I don't expect that big of a mismatch in his new position this season.

For a person claiming you didn’t agree with the premise and we’re playing devils advocate, you sure seem dedicated to die on this hill. 

let me put it another way. He was playing the right position,  it was only out of position because of shit assignments responsibilities.  So arguably he put up the same stats as Chaisson in only 50% of the opportunities. 

• Hook 'Em 1

wait what...

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

For a person claiming you didn’t agree with the premise and we’re playing devils advocate, you sure seem dedicated to die on this hill. 

let me put it another way. He was playing the right position it was only out of position because of shit assignments responsibilities.  So arguably he put up the same stats as Chaisson in only 50% of the opportunities. 

uhhh what? so he'll be playing the right position this season but with good assignments in a completely different scheme?  Meaning you think he has two right positions - one in Orlando's scheme with shit responsibilities and one in Ash's scheme with presumably sound responsibilities?  

damn you guys really know how to twist things around.

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Hmm ok.

You’re right to mention measurables. NFL teams value those highly, especially in first round picks. All I see online is 6’4” 253lbs. Certainly good size. 1st rounder? Ok. 

Did CTJ give you some VIP laser times from this summer or what? Vertical jump? Bench press? These things usually matter, unless you jump off on film all season.

He’s gonna have to make a big jump to do that. I hope I’m wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

30 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Man. Had no idea we had so many future first rounders on our team. Must’ve missed the last round of kool aid. I remember Connor Williams the future first rounder too. 
listen I hope I’m wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, Hmmm said:

wait what...

uhhh what? so he'll be playing the right position this season but with good assignments in a completely different scheme?  Meaning you think he has two right positions - one in Orlando's scheme with shit responsibilities and one in Ash's scheme with presumably sound responsibilities?  

damn you guys really know how to twist things around.

Who are “you guys” here?

he played the edge. Same position. But in th w new scheme he won’t be dropping into coverage and running with a lot receivers and TEs in this scheme. It’s not hard. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Man. Had no idea we had so many future first rounders on our team. Must’ve missed the last round of kool aid. I remember Connor Williams the future first rounder too. 
listen I hope I’m wrong. 

A first round prospect, who misses half of his last collegiate season due to injury, slipping to the 2nd round isn’t a really uncommon thing.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

listen I hope I’m wrong. 

We’ve got 2, conservatively. Cosmi and Ossai. In the next tier with either great seasons or development and consistency you can add Sterns and Eagles in the near term. Sterns is unlikely to me. I’m not wasting time projecting underclassmen. 

9 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

listen I hope I’m wrong. 

For someone that said they didn't one to be the one to raise this issue, you seem really excited to be obnoxious about it. If Cosmi (who's getting a ton of national press) and Ossai keep their trajectories, sure they'll be be in the 1st round conversation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

A first round prospect, who misses half of his last collegiate season due to injury, slipping to the 2nd round isn’t a really uncommon thing.

He also had a couple measurables that we keyboard analysts weren’t privy to while he was here that hurt him iirc. Arm length and strength. 

10 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

listen I hope I’m wrong. 

With regards to Cosmi just google mock drafts one time for me. 

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Who are “you guys” here?

he played the edge. Same position. But in th w new scheme he won’t be dropping into coverage and running with a lot receivers and TEs in this scheme. It’s not hard. 

You and Joe.

Let's just agree we both think he is uber talented.  We can probably also agree that he is a first or second rounder.  I was simply tapping the brakes until we see a full season of his potential.

I am curious where he ends up in the NFL as he appears to be a tweener.  I'm not sure he has the size to be a traditional NFL DE.  But, the game is changing.  That will likely sound the alarm with some on this forum.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Hmm ok.

You’re right to mention measurables. NFL teams value those highly, especially in first round picks. All I see online is 6’4” 253lbs. Certainly good size. 1st rounder? Ok. 

Did CTJ give you some VIP laser times from this summer or what? Vertical jump? Bench press? These things usually matter, unless you jump off on film all season.

He’s gonna have to make a big jump to do that. I hope I’m wrong. 

This knife cuts two ways. Do you have a bunch of pedestrian times from which he hasn’t performed well? Because per NFL scouts hes jumped off film plenty already. And again, he compares favorably to a guys who just went in the first round so there’s very recent precedent. 

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

For someone that said they didn't one to be the one to raise this issue, you seem really excited to be obnoxious about it. If Cosmi (who's getting a ton of national press) and Ossai keep their trajectories, sure they'll be be in the 1st round conversation.

Not meaning to be obnoxious. Sydney thought I should explain why I thought perhaps he wasn’t a first rounder.

Projecting NFL potential can be hard. Was just providing an example of how we’ve been wrong here before. It’s ok. I’ll drop it. Go on with your bad self. 

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This knife cuts two ways. Do you have a bunch of pedestrian times from which he hasn’t performed well? Because per NFL scouts hes jumped off film plenty already. And again, he compares favorably to a guys who just went in the first round so there’s very recent precedent. 

You’re the one that made the initial, specific claim.  

It’s ok. I like Ossai. I hope I’m wrong. I guess we could wager on it for fun. 

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

Not meaning to be obnoxious. Sydney thought I should explain why I thought perhaps he wasn’t a first rounder.

Projecting NFL potential can be hard. Was just providing an example of how we’ve been wrong here before. It’s ok. I’ll drop it. Go on with your bad self. 

Technically you haven’t explained it yet. You’ve simply said he needs to put up film or provide testing numbers. I’ve offered up comparable statistics and measurables to an almost identical “tweener” that got drafted in the first round just last year. You’re skeptical, fine, but you have yet you ground your skepticism in anything tangible. 

Fuck man, just say “he won’t get the benefit of the doubt because he plays in the big 12.”

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Technically you haven’t explained it yet. You’ve simply said he needs to put up film or provide testing numbers. I’ve offered up comparable statistics and measurables to an almost identical “tweener” that got drafted in the first round just last year. You’re skeptical, fine, but you have yet you ground your skepticism in anything tangible. 

Fuck man, just say “he won’t get the benefit of the doubt because he plays in the big 12.”

Sydney makes bold claim (“NFL measurables”) without statistical backing. 

GR asks how he’s so sure. 

Sydney says you can’t prove that I’m wrong. 

GR wonders why he bothered. 

Good talk

If you want to bet on Joseph Ossai being called in NFL first round we could do that I guess otherwise, whatever. 

What is realistic finish here?  Cooks, Regis, one of the RB's, maybe Mukuba, another OL or 2?  QB?.  If a season is played and we kill it on the field who is a realistic flip?  Landon Jackson if LSU takes a step back with what looks like only about 65 players or whatever?  

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

What is realistic finish here?  Cooks, Regis. One of the RB's, maybe Mukuba, another OL or 2?  QB?.  If a season is played and we kill it on the field who is a realistic flip?  Landon Jackson if LSU takes a step back with what looks like only about 65 players or whatever?  

Turner or Iwunnah, depending on how things play out. Earle as a realistic flip if we have a better season than LSU.

Definitely have to think they'll find some way to pick out a couple more OL even if high school seasons are a mess.

Edited by texifornia

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

“Ossai is a first round draft pick”
“I think he’s a second round draft pick”
“Fuck you! You’re wrong. I’m right. He’s a first round draft pick!”
Suck a bag of first round dicks! He’s a second round draft pick!”

Super cool debate dudes!

SUBSCRIBED!

34 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

“Ossai is a first round draft pick”
“I think he’s a second round draft pick”
“Fuck you! You’re wrong. I’m right. He’s a first round draft pick!”
Suck a bag of first round dicks! He’s a second round draft pick!”

Super cool debate dudes!

Also, using Connor Williams, who went in the second round, is not a great example of our burnt orange bias. YOU GUYS MISSED IT BY 20 PICKS. FOOLS!

Thinking more Jackson Jeffcoat or something like that.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hornsup10 said:

I agree with this 100% I don't get how anyone acts like they know how good or bad Casey is. On the topic of Casey, one thing I believe that I haven't heard many people say is that he has taken the path that every single QB recruit (Milroe) except for Freshman starters should take. Redshirt, grind in school to graduate in 3, and put yourself in a position to either start or grad transfer and start 2 years somewhere else. Joe Burrow is the shining example of this. QB is a unique spot where a guy might need to transfer even if they have NFL talent and have worked hard just because top schools take a top quarterback every single year. Look at the Ohio State QB room with Burrow. What I do know about Casey is that he has worked his ass off for 3 years, doesn't drink, eats right and has been taking hella class to put himself in a position to either start here or somewhere else for 2 years and get a shot at the NFL. Hella respect to him and his family for pushing him to take that route because its not easy to graduate in 3 playing D1 football. Idk if a coach could sell a recruit on taking this path but somebody who is a mentor to qb recruits should because it really is the best path for any QB with NFL aspirations. JQJ is a kid with an NFL arm, NFL size and NFL athleticism I don't think the speculation of him moving to LB is very realistic. He and Card should really both redshirt and compete and then whoever doesn't get the nod transfer and try to make it to the league from another school (hopefully in the Pac-12). QB is a tough spot for a kid trying to make the NFL. 

Ideally for Texas, Thompson needs to win the job. That would put off a decision for Card or Jackson for at least another year.

2 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

We signed a higher rated QB prospect in literally the same class. He's a good player. Best QB prospect we've signed in 18 years is silly. 

I can't debate ratings. But if you watched TXHSFB the last two years, who would you want as QB on either of those HS teams? Not even close. 

11 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Also, using Connor Williams, who went in the second round, is not a great example of our burnt orange bias. YOU GUYS MISSED IT BY 20 PICKS. FOOLS!

Thinking more Jackson Jeffcoat or something like that.

Colin last season when the stupid "too early mock drafts" kept putting him in the first round for some reason. It was clear he wasn't dynamic enough to be a first rounder even to most of sunshine pumpers. Pretty sure I remember several on this board pegging Duv as the better NFL prospect even before his senior year breakout. 

5 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Colin last season when the stupid "too early mock drafts" kept putting him in the first round for some reason. It was clear he wasn't dynamic enough to be a first rounder even to most of sunshine pumpers. Pretty sure I remember several on this board pegging Duv as the better NFL prospect even before his senior year breakout. 

The problem with both of those guys is their route trees were severely limited.

15 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I can't debate ratings. But if you watched TXHSFB the last two years, who would you want as QB on either of those HS teams? Not even close. 

I think JQJ is a stud but “Not  even close” is ridiculous. Lake Travis runs a great system with excellent coaching but Duncanville is a talent factory with 3x the amount of D1 guys during the last 3 years. Card dominated at LT just as well as he would have dominated at Duncanville, 68% completion 3,543 yards 50 TDs 4 Ints 619 yards rushing 9 TDs as JR.