Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Im not entirely sure that JQJ isnt the most gifted runner of the football regardless of position on campus. I dont have any idea who is better between JQJ and Card. I dont know if one will change positions but I watch JQJ's highlights running the ball and it really, really stands out.i would hate to lose that if he did change positions.

Frankly, I just don't have much confidence in the staff to maximize JQJ's potential while he's here.  

I've been disappointed in the use and development of guys like Ossai, Overshown, Foster...like the staff couldn't decide on a position for them.

The Milroe new sucks primarily in relation to JQJ.  IF the praise for Card is legit, it's hard to see how JQJ gets on the field for the next few years.  

Hope I'm wrong.  

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Frankly, I just don't have much confidence in the staff to maximize JQJ's potential while he's here.  

I've been disappointed in the use and development of guys like Ossai, Overshown, Foster...like the staff couldn't decide on a position for them.

The Milroe new sucks primarily in relation to JQJ.  IF the praise for Card is legit, it's hard to see how JQJ gets on the field for the next few years.  

Hope I'm wrong.  

I think that moving in the direction of "accurate, polished passers" is a good sign.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

You realize "the staff" you're condemning has been completely retooled at every coaching position except 2, 3 including Tom Herman, right? This is like the idiots at OU or Texags who talk about "texas doesn't develop talent" and cite the last decade. Like Charlie Strong has FUCK ALL to do with what happens under Tom Herman. Also, you specifically cited 3 defensive players in what we can ALL agree was a complete shit scheme. So this dog don't hunt. 

Yeah those guys were a real odd choice to cite

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Yeah those guys were a real odd choice to cite

And also ignores the following: 

1) Ossai is likely a first round draft pick soon, lets talk about his development how again? 
2.) Overshown has been injury prone, and by the way players still have a say in what position they want to play when they first get on campus
3.) Foster, see injury prone above and the scheme that changed around him this season. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

JQJ is the best QB prospect we've signed since VY, Ewers will take that title once he signs. Maybe Card develops into a Colt and hopefully, this years Sam. 

Some of you are dismissing how good Casey is and will be. No one is saying he's great but Card beating him out, good luck.

Of course, health and development always play a major role in fb.

• Hook 'Em 2

I realize 1977 is ancient history. But I also remember how an unknown named Randy McEachern saved it when Mark McBath and Jon Aune fell to injury. McEachern was hardly spectacular, but he did a good enough job of leading the team (OK, mainly by handing the ball to Earl) to get us to the MNC game. So I always want #3 to be able to at least run the offense.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

I've been disappointed in the use and development of guys like Ossai, Overshown, Foster

Scheme issues have been addressed by firing that stupid Meathead but Ossai in 2019 —-  90 tkl 13.5 TFL 5 sacks 2 INTs 

in the only game not called/schemed by Orlando he had 9 tkl - 6 TFL - and 3 sacks. Against probably the 2nd best OL we faced all season. I expect he’s going to put up video game numbers in Ash’s D. 

he’s going to go high in the draft. 

Overshown has been the biggest impediment to his own development. If he had the Adimora’s mentality he’d be a top 20 NFL pick. 

BJ Foster will be drafted as well. Might need to stop punching cars. 

• Hook 'Em 4

17 minutes ago, Goodman said:

JQJ is the best QB prospect we've signed since VY, Ewers will take that title once he signs. Maybe Card develops into a Colt and hopefully, this years Sam. 

Some of you are dismissing how good Casey is and will be. No one is saying he's great but Card beating him out, good luck.

Of course, health and development always play a major role in fb.

Yeah Im not seeing it with Casey. I hope Im wrong but I would be surprised if both JQJ and Card don't pass him up.

6 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Stopped here

Please tell us who was/is better coming out of HS that we signed? 

You might be forgetting the hail mary and injury the last 2 years. Duncanville vs. NS 2 years ago was full of bad dudes, only 1 player looked like The man that game. That injury made a lot of folks forget just how bad of a dude JQJ is.

• Hook 'Em 2

Pretty broad range of opinion about JQJ on the board, he’s either the best Qb prospect since Vince or shouldn’t even be considered a Qb when projecting roster construction going forward. 

Everyone does seem to agree he’s a badass and want him on the field one way or another. Does anyone have any inside info (Carl??) about whether he would even entertain a position switch?

17 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Please tell us who was/is better coming out of HS that we signed? 

You might be forgetting the hail mary and injury the last 2 years. Duncanville vs. NS 2 years ago was full of bad dudes, only 1 player looked like The man that game. That injury made a lot of folks forget just how bad of a dude JQJ is.

This guy was definitely ranked higher https://247sports.com/Player/Garrett-Gilbert-23502/high-school-37494/

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Gilbert probably would have been much better had we not tried to force him into a pro style offense. 

This. The kid came off the bench in the ‘09 championship game and almost won it as a true freshman.  He was the all time high school passing leader and national high school player of the year when he stepped on campus.  

Had we kept the same offense for him, no way does the program crater the way it did.  I’m not saying he would have had the career Colt had (few ever will), but Mack sabotaged any chance of his success by going pro style in 2010.

Edited by Yev Kassem
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Im not entirely sure that JQJ isnt the most gifted runner of the football regardless of position on campus. I dont have any idea who is better between JQJ and Card. I dont know if one will change positions but I watch JQJ's highlights running the ball and it really, really stands out.i would hate to lose that if he did change positions.
We could always Myles Jack him and move him to D while keeping a special package for him at QB that we use 10-20 plays each game.
That would be badass and don't even try to convince me of why it wouldn't work, because I'M NOT LISTENING I'M NOT LISTENING I'M NOT LISTENING.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Have Card at QB, and JQJ and Bijan on the field, and with just those 3 players (independent of everyone else), you have
- 2 passers/QBs (Card / JQJ)
- 2 receivers (Card/Bijan)
- 2 RBs (Bijan / JQJ)

I already posted the Florida/ Texas Modified Offense a few pages ago, and I'm not doing it again.

34 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Pretty broad range of opinion about JQJ on the board, he’s either the best Qb prospect since Vince or shouldn’t even be considered a Qb when projecting roster construction going forward. 

Everyone does seem to agree he’s a badass and want him on the field one way or another. Does anyone have any inside info (Carl??) about whether he would even entertain a position switch?

Nahlin mentioned earlier that JQJ's NFL upside was at LB.  This is why people suggest he should look at defense.  Really, few of us have prolly seen him on defense or Casey on offense, especially at a UT practice.  Panic and flame opinions is what the board does best.    

14 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

This. The kid came off the bench in the ‘09 championship game and almost won it as a true freshman.  He was the all time high school passing leader and national high school player of the year when he stepped on campus.  

Had we kept the same offense for him, no way does the program crater the way it did.  I’m not saying he would have had the career Colt had (few ever will), but Mack sabotaged any chance of his success by going pro style in 2010.

Yes, yes he did.  We were ahead of the fkn curve and he set us back a decade and counting.

15 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:
1 hour ago, Longhorn94 said:
Yeah Im not seeing it with Casey. I hope Im wrong but I would be surprised if both JQJ and Card don't pass him up.

I'm not sure how anyone here has seen enough of either Casey or Card to have any opinion about either.

thats fair.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

1) Ossai is likely a first round draft pick soon, lets talk about his development how again? 
2.) Overshown has been injury prone, and by the way players still have a say in what position they want to play when they first get on campus
3.) Foster, see injury prone above and the scheme that changed around him this season. 

to add on

1. Watch the bowl game with Ossai

2. He stays healthy and you have a fucking missile at linebacker(Big if)

3. Foster staying healthy and not wanting to literally murder anyone carrying a ball and actually learning to tackle will be scary 

31 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I'm not sure how anyone here has seen enough of either Casey or Card to have any opinion about either.

+Jackson

1 hour ago, Yev Kassem said:

Gilbert didn't almost win anything. He was abysmal and had zero command of the spread offense we ran all year in '09. None of the garbage-time minutes he played, none of the practice reps, were of any use. He couldn't make the simplest of reads, he couldn't even adjust the line to pick up a weak-side blitz. All he could do was throw it in Jordan Shipley's general direction and rely on him burning Alabama's coverage.

Compare that with Tagovailoa's national championship debut as a true freshman. That's what it should have looked like, and would have looked like had Gilbert lived up to his promise.

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Gilbert didn't almost win anything. He was abysmal and had zero command of the spread offense we ran all year in '09. None of the garbage-time minutes he played, none of the practice reps, were of any use. He couldn't make the simplest of reads, he couldn't even adjust the line to pick up a weak-side blitz. All he could do was throw it in Jordan Shipley's general direction and rely on him burning Alabama's coverage.

Compare that with Tagovailoa's national championship debut as a true freshman. That's what it should have looked like, and would have looked like had Gilbert lived up to his promise.

It wasn’t all bad. He did, eventually, find his helmet. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Maybe, but Casey has looked not good to average in every scrimmage i've seen him in.

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

All he could do was throw it in Jordan Shipley's general direction and rely on him burning Alabama's coverage.

This is true, any success he had that game was because Shipley was a huge mismatch against Bama’s jumbo SEC safeties. 

Gilbert wasn’t ready that season and probably overhyped but Mack changing the offense and our OL completely falling apart did fuck up his development. Guy has stuck around the NFL for 7 years now, he has talent. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, NoName said:

Just picking this one to reply to and share the Wright links  https://247sports.com/player/charles-wright-46051054/

Gabe Brooks Scouting Report from his profile:

MQKm7EH4

Currently #164 composite in TX, #39 composite overall pro style QB

247 reports offers from Iowa St, Arky, Louisiana, NC State, North Texas, TX State, UTSA

Here is a VIP article on him that would be interesting to read if someone has it:

ISU QB commit Charles Wright talks football background, goals
https://247sports.com/Article/Dez-Bryant-reportedly-set-to-work-out-with-Baltimore-Ravens-150366058/

here is his HUDL: https://www.hudl.com/profile/9970085/Charles-Wright

Jr. Year Highlights: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9970085/5dc22dd65cb31e031c36a417

Twitter: https://twitter.com/cwrightjr14?lang=en

interestingly, Quinn Ewers is following him...

has anyone ever heard of QB Hit List? https://qbhitlist.com/profile/charles-wright-tx/

Article: 'A magician with the ball': New Iowa State QB recruit Charles Wright flew under the radar in Texas

Reveal hidden contents

Mike Rosenthal remembers when he realized Charles Wright had the "it" factor.

It wasn't on a football field. It didn't even involve a football.

It happened during the offseason after Wright's freshman season at Austin (Texas) High School, where Rosenthal is the head football coach. His team was playing a simple game of dodgeball for fun. Just to loosen up a bit and have a good time.

Not Wright, though.

"He just wanted to destroy everybody," Rosenthal told the Register over the phone last week. "He wanted to win the game. He loves to play. He loves to compete. We knew right away he was special — just the way he carried himself. It was unlike any 14-year-old kid we’ve ever been around."

Austin High quarterback Charles Wright runs with the ball during a high school football game between Westwood and Austin High in Round Rock, Texas, on Friday, Sept. 7, 2018.

Fast forward a couple years, and Wright has become the fourth recruit in Iowa State's 2021 recruiting class. Considered a three-star prospect, Wright picked the Cyclones over a trio of in-state offers from North Texas, Texas State and UTSA.

More schools were starting to enter the fray, too. Programs such as Texas, TCU, Northwestern and Colorado had come to campus to see Wright, Rosenthal said, but Wright committed to Iowa State after receiving an offer last May and visiting campus twice since then — most recently for the Cyclones' November win over Texas.

"To be honest with you, I think it was a personality fit," Rosenthal said. "He just kind of wants to take on the big guns and beat them. So I think it meshes with everything, the toughness, that coach Campbell talks about. I just think he’s a perfect fit for Iowa State."

Austin High is not a Texas powerhouse. Top recruits in that state rarely come from the Austin High program. So Wright hasn't gotten as much exposure as he may have at schools such as Westlake and Lake Travis, which both play in Austin's district.

Consequently, Rosenthal, who played offensive line at Notre Dame in the late 1990s, thinks Wright has flown under the radar for much of his high school career. He believes the Power Five schools showing interest, such as Texas and TCU, were hoping he'd continue to fly under the radar and stay on the board heading into his senior season.

But the Cyclones, Rosenthal said, did excellent work with Wright. They made him feel wanted from an early stage, and that allowed them to pluck him from his home state.

"He’s the real deal," Rosenthal said of Wright, whose high school film is reminiscent of Brock Purdy's when he was a high school prospect. "He can throw the ball from every arm angle. He uses his feet to make plays. He can run; we just haven't used him a lot doing that. But he just wants to make plays in the pocket, out of the pocket, throwing the ball and just score touchdowns. He’s a lot of fun to watch, because he’s kind of a magician with the ball and extremely accurate."

Wright, who checks in at 6-foot-1 and 195 pounds, passed for 2,510 yards and 27 touchdowns as a junior. As a sophomore, he passed for 2,862 yards and 28 touchdowns. That season earned him his Iowa State offer.

Rosenthal remembers the Westlake game from Wright's eye-opening sophomore year. His team lost 57-0 and Wright got "the crap kicked out of him" by Westlake's defensive line. What Rosenthal remembers most, though, is how Wright got back up every single time, unfazed, ready to call the next play and sling the ball downfield against a juggernaut defense.

Rosenthal also remembers how his sophomore quarterback never complained about a lack of protection from his offensive line. Not once.

"He’s a kid that everybody wants to play for," Rosenthal said, "and everybody wants to play with."

Look who is stealing Surly content...

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Look who is stealing Surly content...

i remember the writer at DMN.. CHuck Carlton?  took a shot at Howe at the end of Anwar's podcast when he thought it stopped recording.  He basically said he understood people writing articles citing his interview but then you have JEFF HOWE making his daily quota of stories off his interview solely. lol

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Maybe, but Casey has looked not good to average in every scrimmage i've seen him in.

Thought he was good in the Spring game last year.  You had to be there to appreciate the effect of the wind.  Sam did not look great that day either, but Casey looked pretty good to me.

17 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I never thought I would see the day that Texas might recruit an Austin High QB and my wife would leave me for my brother, but here we are. Life is funny sometimes. 

I saw that coming at the wedding party.

43 minutes ago, satyanash said:

It should have looked like Sherrod Harris if Mack didn’t have his head so far up Gale Gilbert’s ass.  JMO.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I never thought I would see the day that Texas might recruit an Austin High QB and my wife would leave me for my brother, but here we are. Life is funny sometimes. 

For the last time, you crazy fuck. I’m not your brother. Also, I’ll have her back by morning.

Edited by Casual Encounter

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I hate to be the guy to do this, but we need to pump the brakes on Joseph Ossai, future first rounder.