Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

What are our options if Milroe decommits? Obviously this isn't my preference, but just trying understand the implications. I assume we'll reach back out to Nussmeier and Robertson to see if being the only QB in the class might change things for them. Behren Morton and Kyron Drones will probably get longer looks as well. Personally don't think Kaidon Salter, Demetrious Davis, and Preston Stone are worth circling back to at this point. Any chance we take another run at USC commit Jake Garcia? With Miller Moss also committed to USC, he might be worth kicking the tires on. He showed some interest in Texas early and even visited if memory serves.

1 minute ago, bEastTexas said:

Would love to get Drones if Milroe does leave but also think it would be the perfect class to pick up a mid 3* EE to sandwich between Card and Ewers who might be content playing school and being a back up. 

that's what we did with ash and case. that shit didn't work out. recruits players like they are going to see the field.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

What are our options if Milroe decommits? Obviously this isn't my preference, but just trying understand the implications. I assume we'll reach back out to Nussmeier and Robertson to see if being the only QB in the class might change things for them. Behren Morton and Kyron Drones will probably get longer looks as well. Personally don't think Kaidon Salter, Demetrious Davis, and Preston Stone are worth circling back to at this point. Any chance we take another run at USC commit Jake Garcia? With Miller Moss also committed to USC, he might be worth kicking the tires on. He showed some interest in Texas early and even visited if memory serves.

all those players feel they can contribute early..  With the hype of Ewers.. no one wants to be the guy ahead of him.  Think it'll be Card/Casey next season or Card/Jackson.  If it gets dicey, I'm sure Herman can find a Grad Transfer QB even just for depth.

6 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

Would love to get Drones if Milroe does leave but also think it would be the perfect class to pick up a mid 3* EE to sandwich between Card and Ewers who might be content playing school and being a back up. 

If that's the route they go, Jacob Rodriguez might fit the bill and offer some positional versatility.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, cafe society said:

JFC.  We just got the top-rated player in the 2022 class, he might be #1 in 2021 if he reclassified.  The sky isn't falling, it's fucking open and sunshine is pouring down, the likes of which we've not seen in at least 16-17 years.  Up your happy game, Surly.

No one but satya seems very depressed

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, cafe society said:

JFC.  We just got the top-rated player in the 2022 class, he might be #1 in 2021 if he reclassified.  The sky isn't falling, it's fucking open and sunshine is pouring down, the likes of which we've not seen in at least 16-17 years.  Up your happy game, Surly.

The fuck are you even talking about? Who is acting like the sky is falling other than Satya? All I see are fairly rational discussions about backup plans.

• Hook 'Em 1

Eh... Bama got the #1 QB last year and will recruit all the best QBs next year as well.  If he’s already worried about competition, then Texas probably isn’t the place for him.  There was a time when 3 star David Ash and Case McCoy beat out 5 star Gilbert.  Players also get hurt.  We haven’t had a healthy QB make it through the year all decade until last year.  Glad he helped us and if he wants to look elsewhere, definitely understand. 

I don’t think any 2021 or 2022 recruit is going to decommit bc we lost a good QB commit and instead upgraded to the best QB prospect since Trevor Lawrence.  Most of the 2021 commits will be playing with Ewers.

7 minutes ago, cafe society said:

And? This is the 2021 thread. The commits, needs, and holes in this class are the same as they were 48 hours ago. There's plenty of celebration in the 2022 thread.

Milroe leaving opens up the worst-case scenario where Card wins the job after Sam leaves, and Casey subsequently bolts. Depending on how JQJ's healing process goes and what position he ends up at, we still need a QB.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 6

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I have a hard time thinking another QB is going to rush to commit to us after the Ewers news and the stacked room.

My largest concern here are, in order:

1.) Who might be disillusioned and reconsider Texas that we have committed? Possibly no one, but best be sure.

2.) This would slow/prevent/delay/whatever the JQJ to LB move that I'd really, really like to see happen. 

I think JQJ was always going to stay at QB for at least two years. The most likely scenario, even when Milroe wasn’t a possible decommit, was Card beats out Thompson in 2021, Thompson transfers and we need JQJ as the backup/short yardage option because Milroe needs time to work on some things/you don’t want a true frosh as your only backup.  

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

Might have more to do with Card than Ewers. Ewers just limits his margin of error even further.

It’s gonna be the same problem at any big time school though.

Nah. The worry is getting passed up GT the guy behind you so you never get to play. If Card is a stud, Milroe would still have a window to be the starter. Not so much with Ewers coming in behind him. 

53 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Entirely fabricated on the spot by me.

In other words, $9.95, bitches! 

7 minutes ago, satyanash said:

And? This is the 2021 thread. The commits, needs, and holes in this class are the same as they were 48 hours ago. There's plenty of celebration in the 2022 thread.

Milroe leaving opens up the worst-case scenario where Card wins the job after Sam leaves, and Casey subsequently bolts. Depending on how JQJ's healing process goes and what position he ends up at, we still need a QB.

You're exhausting. Fuck. 

We win on the field and transfer options will exist even more than they already do, and we do fine with transfers. Yes, there's plenty of sunshine on the 2022 thread, but fortunately you can still slum it here in 2021 and find cling to and create some scenario where you can continue your ritual sadsturbation. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

that's what we did with ash and case. that shit didn't work out. recruits players like they are going to see the field.

Like I said I’d love to have Drones but the odds are he’s going to look at the situation the same as Milroe and say thanks but no thanks and it’s going to be just as difficult to get a stud in 2023 following Ewers. 

A David Ash level prospect would actually be exactly what Texas could use this class, I believe Ash would have been a solid starter as an upperclassman if not for the injuries. Texas needs to do what Clemson did and find a Chase Brice that’s willing to come in and sit for 3 years develop and hopefully grad transfer because we landed another 5* in the 2024 class to take over after Ewers.

• Like 1

I can imagine that it's more than a little frustrating to see every reporter that covers Texas anoint Ewers as the next big thing and rush out to get quotes from every '21 and '22 player, etc. No doubt that rival coaches are in Milroe's ear pointing that out.

My big concern is that Ewers can't sign anywhere for 18 more months (wild reclassifying rumors notwithstanding). If we don't sign a QB that can play in '21, we're going to be sweating that entire 18 months. From the looks of that mullet, he could get injured riding a dirt bike at any time.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I can imagine that it's more than a little frustrating to see every reporter that covers Texas anoint Ewers as the next big thing and rush out to get quotes from every '21 and '22 player, etc. No doubt that rival coaches are in Milroe's ear pointing that out.

My big concern is that Ewers can't sign anywhere for 18 more months (wild reclassifying rumors notwithstanding). If we don't sign a QB that can play in '21, we're going to be sweating that entire 18 months. From the looks of that mullet, he could get injured riding a dirt bike at any time.

Sounds like a WORST CASE scenario! 

24 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Card and JQJ will be OK until Ewers is ready.  The 9.95 practice reports, if true, have Card looking like a young Jarrett Stidham.  I ain't skeerd.  

2 hours ago, hornfromdallas said:

milroes dad wants him to immediately compete hes been very adamant about it

i would say miami before bama

also this opens up the spot for kyron drones 

Would be hilarious to take Drones after all the Baylor shit tweeting by their football coaches.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I don’t know that I really understand why he might decommit and go to Bama. I could understand if he ended up at a school without an obvious qb lineage, but I don’t get it if he goes to bama.

I guess having Bryce Young ahead of you ,who will likely jump to the NFL at some point, is better than getting jumped by the guy below you his first year on campus and having to watch him play. Maybe? I don’t know.

Edited by Hank_Hill

Just now, Hank_Hill said:

I guess having Bryce Young ahead of you who will likely jump to the NFL at some point is better than getting jumped by the guy below you his first year on campus and having to watch him play. Maybe? I don’t know.

I think that's a fair assessment. However, Bama is absolutely going to get one of the best QBs in the 2022 class, so that risk remains. 

Miami makes a bit more sense if he really is that worried about competition. 

57 minutes ago, satyanash said:

It's unbelievable how big of a bitch you are. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Do you look for bogeymen under your bed every night before bedtime?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

This and the talk of all the other 2021 qbs Yurchich has been kicking the tires on since he was hired. If we were really actively looking for someone else in his class and then took Ewers' commitment (obviously a no brainier) it's not crazy to me that he doesn't feel like he's being treated as an integral part of our future plans.

Sucks, but this is a far cry  from wringing our hands that Kai Locksley might scare off Zach Gentry. 

It’s reminiscing on things like this that really puts our current “problems” in to perspective 

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

Ash was good.  He had a 157 pass rating as a true sophomore.  He was on pace to be much better than Simms or Applewhite.  He just had too many concussions and wisely stopped playing.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I don’t know that I really understand why he might decommit and go to Bama. I could understand if he ended up at a school without an obvious qb lineage, but I don’t get it if he goes to bama.

He should look into Arkansas, Miss St or Ole Miss if this is what he wants to do. Bama/Clemson/tOSU--he'll have to compete against the best every year and if he gets injured, he'll have to compete again to get his spot back.  But at Arkie or Ole Miss, he'll have solid receivers and the qb competition won't be as great.  I think he's a good player but he's been listening to chatter for awhile now even though he was the only qb in the class.  I don't think Texas should put all of their eggs in one basket and then be held hostage to recruit less than the best qb's going forth.  He's a good kid and a special player but recognized a bigger dog when he saw one.  I guess Miami is sorta in the same boat as the others mentioned. Do they have a good qb coach? I'm not looking this up.

Edited by Mdhorn