Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

(but of course, I get flak for saying this an hour prior 🙄)

Anyway, I'm curious who the pied piper is for this class (in group chats, on social media, etc.) now that Milroe is gone. Billy Bowman?

Hahaha oh satya that is NOT how you put it. You were just "oh no we're probably fucked", not "let's find our own Tanner Mordecai"

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Anyway, I'm curious who the pied piper is for this class (in group chats, on social media, etc.) now that Milroe is gone. Billy Bowman?

none milroe was the most vocal 

from what ive seen ibrhaeem & brooks but not nearly the level of milroe 

• Fuck You 1

I’d like to know what about Robertson and Ms Nussbaum appealed to Yurcich that Milroe didn’t have.

I have a similar question on Drones, who I know nothing about but everyone keeps bringing up. What, potentially, would Yurcich see in Drones that he didn’t see in Milroe?

9 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

This isn't even a hot take. 

Milroe isn't going to beat out Bryce Young. Maybe Milroe would start for a year or 2 after Young but you know Alabama is going to keep stacking talented QBs. James will be processed in a year or two. 

Tommy is the only one out of the group that's going to play there. 

You forgot Saban might not be there either. 

12 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I think the funniest part is almost everyone knew Milroe was going to be a bit of a developmental project similar to Roschon. Needs to work on his mechanics and learn the system. The idea Milroe was going to save the QB room next year is complete stupidity. If we were reliant on Milroe in '21 we were going to be properly fucked. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Team Drones-or-get-grad-transfer-if-needed-later. 

I don’t want Texas to reach for a Mordecai type backup plan. Drones is an upgrade over Milroe. Let the current QB room sort it out.Jackson can RS (and seems very aligned) there’s no reason to reach for anyone or add a body just to add one. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I have a similar question on Drones, who I know nothing about but everyone keeps bringing up. What, potentially, would Yurcich see in Drones that he didn’t see in Milroe?

Potentially? A commitment.

I believe @golfclap said Drones tore it up at Elite 11 camp recently. I can't speak to which drills he showed out in specifically

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Here’s my take on Drones from earlier this summer ... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

"I know initially I wasn't your guy." 

Kind of interested to see who Yurcich prioritizes because it does seem like Yurcich wasn't exactly all in on Milroe. Unless I'm just interpreting that incorrectly. 

Pretty cut and dry imo, justified or not Milroe never liked that Yurcich wanted to take a second QB in the 2021 class when we already had an elite one committed

On 7/15/2020 at 8:10 PM, golfclap said:

I will give one caveat here (And you know I love measurables.) - Drones is just 16 years old. Caleb Williams will turn 19 in a couple of months. Not to turn Drones into the next Moro Ojomo, but it's probably relevant that he ran that 40 at 15. 

Drones last season 3390 yards 46 TD 10 INT.  He also had 825 yards rushing (6.2 ypc) with another 18 TDs against some good competition. I don't think he's going to be Vince, but he can do more than just move the chains, despite that 4.9. 

His rating increase makes sense though, Drones was easily one of the best QBs at the Elite 11 (he looked top 4 to me) and routinely showed that he's much further along as a passer than Caleb Wiliams. His frame is outstanding (esp given his age) and the ball explodes out of his hand. He physically looks more college ready than just about anyone that was there, despite giving up 2 years to most of the other Elite 11 guys. Add in a winner's mentality and it's an easy sell for me. It's clear that the services had never truly evaluated him because they were surprised by the way he played and the throws he made, but everything he was doing was evidenced in his Junior year. FWIW -- Drones' teammate Randy Masters (2022 WR) is legit.

Thanks GC.

15 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Yea, I think the main thing Yurcich would see in Drones if he was willing to come is that he isn't a bitch ass pussy. 

Ah yes, Milroe is a bitch ass pussy who is afraid of competition, as evidenced by his flip to *checks notes* Alabama, who perennially have one of the most talented rosters in all of CFB

I know, FCB....

Is it possible we are sleeping on Casey Thompson? 

I'm not convinced he will be passed over. He may be more or a Yurcich guy than we think.

This podcast is worth a listen. FCB interview with Charles Thompson. Some good insight on Casey's competitiveness, his history as a passer in HS, and Yurcich knowing and recruiting Casey.  It will be interesting to see if he gets meaningful snaps this year. 

FCB sounds like a douche. So much so, he makes a dirtbag sooner sound great. (Actually, Charles is a good dude. For a dirtbag sooner.)

If you can stand FCB for 30 minutes...

https://podbay.fm/p/horns247-podcasts-longhorn-blitz-the-flagship-and-state-of-recruiting/e/1597105018

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Ah yes, Milroe is a bitch ass pussy who is afraid of *checks notes* the #1 QB recruit of the next three classes

fify

Milroe told us himself this is why he flipped with his timing. Don't be obtuse.

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Ah yes, Milroe is a bitch ass pussy who is afraid of competition, as evidenced by his flip to *checks notes* Alabama, who perennially have one of the most talented rosters in all of CFB

cmon now... you really think he flipped for a main reason other than Ewers? You can't be serious

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

You're kidding yourself if you don't think Ewers played a role here. I think other things were in play like Yurcich not being all that high on Milroe but come on. Do you really believe it's a coincidence that Milroe flipped days after Ewers committed?  

He's not a bitch ass pussy but he definitely flipped in big part because he's sandwiched between Card/JQJ and Ewers. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hornfromdallas said:

not the worst case

worse case would be  card winning the job thompson transferring & jqj getting re injured 

rojo would have to move back to qb

Which is still a better QB room than what we had 8 or 9 of the years since Colt. 

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

You're kidding yourself if you don't think Ewers played a role here. I think other things were in play like Yurcich not being all that high on Milroe but come on. Do you really believe it's a coincidence that Milroe flipped days after Ewers committed?  

He's not a bitch ass pussy but he definitely flipped in big part because he's sandwiched between Card/JQJ and Ewers. 

Yea yea bitch ass pussy was a bit strong. Beta male possible future cuckold at worst.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChemicalHorn said:

So weird to leave bc he’s afraid to compete with Ewers and because Yurcich wasn’t all in on him only to commit to a school that signed the no. 1 QB the year before and turned him commitment down earlier in the year. 

Guess the benches at Bama are softer than at Texas.  All that glitters is not gold.

Edited by Cairn Horn88
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Wonder if Milroe called Bama, or Bama contacted Milroe, or Brocks contacte Milroe....who struck the match?

A few weeks ago - well before Ewers happened - Milroe said in an interview (think it was with a Bama site mod) for the umpteenth time that he was in regular contact with Bama coaches, including Saban.  Dreaded Facetimes may have happened.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Wonder if Milroe called Bama, or Bama contacted Milroe, or Brocks contacte Milroe....who struck the match?

Bama has been recruiting him all along, J's been in contact all along, Brocks were recruiting him....Since it happened, i'm glad it did early.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

And I don't mind it in part because of this. I am also really high on JQJ to a point I don't think Milroe would see the field either way as he is going to be a redshirt this year too given everything and recovering from injury. Milroe was great for the program in the time that he was here and did everything and more than he needed to, and Ewers has obviously has a much bigger pull than him. Wish him the best, and go pound aggy. 

Mike at night

The big news of the night is Jalen Milroe’s decommitment. While we never heard anything definite, this was certainly something we were watching since the time Quinn Ewers committed. Milroe always kept the lines of communication open with other schools in his recruitment, and I think the competition around him was only one element of things. Milroe hung in after losing his key recruiter in Tim Beck and facing a ton of turnover in his future offense. I don’t think that he ever felt he was Mike Yurcich’s choice and that was backed up when Yurcich recruited several other quarterbacks after getting here. For better or for worse, Milroe and his family felt the best decision was to move on to Alabama.

—For many, there’s a natural reaction to question a kid and criticize them for running from competition. At Alabama, Milroe will follow former No. 1 overall prospect Bryce Young, but the situation isn’t the same as at Texas. Milroe was already behind a two-quarterback class in 2020 with positive buzz around Hudson Card’s performance while on campus and the fantastic skills of Ja’Quinden Jackson. With Ewers committing behind him, I believe he realized that it would become a numbers’ game quick. I have a hard time criticizing quarterbacks for making the best move because it’s a position where ostensibly one person gets to play for their tenure. A redshirt would put two years of separation between Milroe and Young at Alabama.

—I checked with a few of the current commits and there don’t seem to be any real shockwaves. I think a few of them could see this coming, but I’m not sure it changes much at this point. While a few of them committed with Milroe last summer, guys like Hayden Conner, Billy Bowman and Derrick Harrishave their own reasons to be committed. This could hurt with a few guys they are recruiting. LJ Johnson and Bryce Foster come to mind as names, but I feel Johnson is interested for other reasons so we will see how it works out.

—The choice of what to do at quarterback in 2021 will be very interesting. The Longhorns could choose to do nothing and count Ja’Quinden Jackson as the 2021 take, or they could take a program guy who would understand the talent around him and be ok with potentially serving as a backup for his career. Those guys are hard to find, but I don’t see Texas attracting a big name with the hype around Ewers. I’ll be interested to see if Yurcich can uncover any gems at the position we aren’t aware of.

—I've seen a lot of feedback that this will come back to haunt Texas and they shouldn't have let it happen. This is what happens when recruiting at a high level. While Texas certainly valued Milroe, the staff couldn't turn down a commitment from Ewers. Playing at this level is high stakes, and it's not always sunshine and rainbows in the aftermath.

• Hook 'Em 2

Re: Roach’s comments on Milroe hurting our chances with LJ. Feels like Carrington and Brandon Harris at least thought of this last week when they probably were thinking of downstream impacts of the Ewers commitment and possible Milroe decommitment (assuming they knew at least a few days before everyone else) because of the efforts they went through getting Wheaton on a call with Fournette etc... 

Seemed like there was a thorough effort on their part to ensure Wheaton knew he was a big priority prior to OU’s summit thingy. 

Edited by NameNotFound

21 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I've seen a lot of feedback that this will come back to haunt Texas and they shouldn't have let it happen. This is what happens when recruiting at a high level.

who is saying this?  I don’t even think satya would take milroe over ewers.  

50 minutes ago, futureman said:

who is saying this?  I don’t even think satya would take milroe over ewers.  

He means that Milroe flip takes us out of the running for Foster, Jackson, little & big Brock. Might also affect us with '22 TE Green.

7 minutes ago, Goodman said:

He means that Milroe flip takes us out of the running for Foster, Jackson, little & big Brock. Might also affect us with '22 TE Green.

yeah, maybe.  I doubt there are fans though that would say “I wish ewers went to OU and we kept milroe so we could have a shot at some guys.”

4 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

I think we all thought the decision by Yurcich to immediately go after other QBs was a risky gamble. In hindsight, we had more to gain than lose.

Yurich is showing that he's a competitor.  I didn't like it at first but the gamble paid off.  He's not coaching to lose. He's recruiting like he's at tOSU and going after the best regardless of prior year commitments.  That's a hell of an attitude he's bringing to Texas.  I'm liking this man already and he hasn't coached a down as a Longhorn.  

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, squeegeedegg said:

Randomly stayed up late last night watching Hudls of all the qbs we have pulled over the last 2 or 3 years.   I had of course watched Milroe's when he committed but it's been a while.  This time however I kept seeing more Jalen Hurts in his game than before.  Odd timing with the Bama flip coming a day later.

Silver lining though is Card's Hudl looked even more impressive upon the rewatch.  Any guy with that kind of accuracy and 4.07 shuttle isn't going to be beat by a guy like Milroe unless injury strikes or is willing to take red shirt year + solid backup development year.   Although, same story at Bama sooo good luck Jalen

If he's more in line with Hurts, then Texas may be seeing him at OU down the stretch.  What a crazy road that would be.  

7 hours ago, satyanash said:

The answer is “no one.” It’s about to be September in a fucked up year. We don’t need a pied piper anymore. If we did his name is Quinn Ewers. 

• Hook 'Em 1