Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

43 minutes ago, MichaelDicksonFanClub said:

Kyron Drones’ favorite target (according to reddit) just committed to Baylor, so I don’t like our odds if we go that route.

https://247sports.com/Player/Randy-Masters-46085683/

That’s a really good get for Baylor. They are going to be a very difficult duo to deal with. 

Mike at Night: New QB target, continuing 2022 buzz

—I was told today that Texas reached out to Houston St. Thomas quarterback Maddox Kopp to open the lines of communication. The Elite 11 finalist turned some heads during the summer quarterback camp, and Mike Yurcich indicated to Kopp that the program had a lot of interest in him. Kopp told me that an offer from Texas would force him to take a hard look at the Longhorns, but as of now, he has to move forward with his recruiting process. Kopp has a decision date of September 1 set with Houston and Ole Miss as the perceived favorites.

—There was a rumor going around that Texas commit Billy Bowman was set to visit Norman this weekend for the “Sooner Summit”. The visit is being arranged by a group of Oklahoma commits to host their own unofficial visit weekend in Norman. I checked in with Bowman who said he was actually thinking about accompanying his girlfriend (an Oklahoma softball signee) to move in this week. However, his practice schedule would prevent him from doing so and he said he wouldn’t be able to make the trip. I don’t expect him to be a visitor this weekend.

—I wrote a big piece on the 2022 class and new Crystal Balls earlier today. While I’ve said for a while that I think the Texas staff was ahead in 2022, the class obviously received a jolt. Many people have asked me what kind of recruiter Quinn Ewers is. Quinn isn’t the most vocal kid in the world and he isn’t very active on social media, but just about every big-named prospect I’ve checked in with told me that Ewers has been in contact with them in one form or another. Group texts are forming and large FaceTime sessions are happening with a group of big-time prospects both inside and out of Texas. Even the most conservative sources I have are very excited about the potential of the 2022 group.

12 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

They were 4-6 last year and 3-7 the year prior (know they got destroyed (no shock) by Westlake). Kid had  a 55% completion rate last year and has had his QB rating get worse every year he played in high school. This is not the player to go after. I am fully prepared of course to see him go to ISU and cause Texas nightmares and to hear nonstop about how Texas didn't recruit him even though it was his dream school.

come on, don't use completion rate and QB Rating for high school players.

this is the kind of stuff baseball fans have loved for years "but he hit .380 at High A" - I'm not saying it doesn't matter at all but it is only a small part of the picture. Unless you expect a QB to have zero growth between their senior year of HS and last year of college.

11 hours ago, Hmmm said:

wait what...

uhhh what? so he'll be playing the right position this season but with good assignments in a completely different scheme?  Meaning you think he has two right positions - one in Orlando's scheme with shit responsibilities and one in Ash's scheme with presumably sound responsibilities?  

damn you guys really know how to twist things around.

well, time to block this guy. he is either a shitty troll or a moron. either way...

Seth Meyers Goodbye GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

31 minutes ago, NoName said:

come on, don't use completion rate and QB Rating for high school players.

this is the kind of stuff baseball fans have loved for years "but he hit .380 at High A" - I'm not saying it doesn't matter at all but it is only a small part of the picture. Unless you expect a QB to have zero growth between their senior year of HS and last year of college.

His numbers have regressed each year he’s played HS. I get Austin high stinks but barring a massive leap he’s not the guy to tie a scholarship up  on. 
I wouldn’t freak out if UT took him but I think they can do better 

20 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

His numbers have regressed each year he’s played HS. I get Austin high stinks but barring a massive leap he’s not the guy to tie a scholarship up  on. 

55% isn't a bad completion percentage if you're on a bad team. Guys do have to get open, and they do have to catch the ball. 

Did he start as a ninth grader on varsity, or did you choose to phrase it "has had his QB rating get worse every year he played in high school" when he's only started for two years? 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, hornfromdallas said:

if his girlfriend wants him to stay faithful & he wants to honor her wishes the best bet is to stay committed to texas 

because lets just say the temptation wont be there 

Knowing Carl’s real complaint is that there aren’t enough fat white girls on campus really makes these posts much more entertaining. 

53 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Seriously this recruiting thing is not for you. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

let me say again: using high school stats to say a QB is a good or bad take is dumb. is it a part of the picture? sure. but is it something that is a complete picture? no. just like saying "well, he was first team all district in 25-6A at a terrible high school as a junior!" doesn't really tell the whole picture.

using HS QB stats to determine good/bad take is like saying a guy is a good or bad take because he was first team all district.

there are better ways to judge these things. we aren't living in the days when the only way to review a guy is his yards thrown and the TD's thrown just like we don't use batting average and RBIs for player value in baseball.

using HIGH SCHOOL stats doesn't tell anywhere close to the complete picture for how good or bad a prospect is or how they will develop. nobody is making evals based on a dude's stats page on 247.

let's use Haynes King as an example. the reason Haynes King was much worse his Sr. vs Jr. season went way beyond the fact that across the board his stats dropped - it was that he appeared to take a step back with the other in game things like decision making, throwing motion, etc - beyond just his stats. also, part of the reason he looked so good as a Jr was because he was surrounded by a very good (undefeated) Longview team.

please stop sharing these hot takes you have based on shitty reasoning.

there are plenty of other reasons to say QBs are a bad take that are worth paying attention to - including but not limited to: is he undersized? has a bad frame? bad accuracy? no deep touch? is he unathletic? does he have a bad delivery? bad throwing motion? bad velo? will he tucks and run too quickly vs letting a play develop? bad arm angle? can't extend plays?

let's use a real world example: let's say there is no fall TXHSFB this year - should Texas drop Jordan Thomas? he didn't play his junior year at all due to injury and his senior year was wiped away by COVID - meaning he hasn't tackled a dude in a game since 2018. I mean he literally has no stats to follow.

Spoiler

(the answer is no, they shouldn't drop him)

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Sure. But we have known that for a while and it doesn’t seem like he’s “flirting” with OU. 

It hasn't come to nut cuttin' time, yet. Pussy still been around. Now she's going up to Methlahobo, which is still a hittable distance, but it'll put in prospective for our young prospect just how much further those legs will close when he's laying his head down in Austin. 

I really hope she's a terrible person because I'm rooting for this relationship to fail. 

33 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

It hasn't come to nut cuttin' time, yet. Pussy still been around. Now she's going up to Methlahobo, which is still a hittable distance, but it'll put in prospective for our young prospect just how much further those legs will close when he's laying his head down in Austin. 

I really hope she's a terrible person because I'm rooting for this relationship to fail. 

or he comes back to Denton and starts hitting all the thots at UNT and TWU

1 hour ago, Fud said:

55% isn't a bad completion percentage if you're on a bad team. Guys do have to get open, and they do have to catch the ball. 

Did he start as a ninth grader on varsity, or did you choose to phrase it "has had his QB rating get worse every year he played in high school" when he's only started for two years? 

I saw stats that said varsity by them for past three years. I’ve seen him play in person around three times and he’s been “meh”.

Admittedly AHS sucks. Like I’ve said I wouldn’t freak out if UT took him as a absolute backup scenario, but I do believe there have to be better options out there as I haven’t seen where he’s been a difference maker at QB. 

I’m not saying stats are only thing but I do think they are relevant measures and that it’s not wrong to expect to see improvement as a kid is in system longer. 

If AHS plays he may have a breakout year and I’m not rooting against him or anything, I just think UT should be able to do better even for backup QB

Bobby Burton: Wednesday

Even with the news of Marqez Bimage opting not to play this season in a move that some are calling a “strategic” redshirt, the defensive line should still be a team strength. However, I am told linebacker remains the primary area of concern for the Texas defense. No true linebackers have stepped up and separated from the group, at least not yet. I’m told it’s not from a lack of effort. I think it’s too early to say that Texas will have a pedestrian LB corps. But a playmaker needs to step up. Freshman Jaylan Ford may be that type of player but also may be a year away from making an impact.

Meanwhile, I am told the secondary needs to create and capitalize on more interception opportunities but otherwise has been solid with very few assignment busts considering the new defense being put in place. Jalen Green continues to play well. A lot of Chris Adimora is being asked, but I am told he is responding reasonably well.

The loss of Bimage is somewhat mitigated by the arrival of Alfred Collins. Collins has already shown the ability to earn reps with the ones as a true freshman. He won’t be a starter but should be in a rotation that Oscar Giles utilizes. Something to keep in mind with Collins. He has never focused on football for an entire year. He has always played basketball, too. So his body will undergo a major transformation over the next couple of years, one that should be additive to his already immense talent. The word on the 40 Acres is that Collins has a chance to be as good as he wants to be. Not often you can say that about a player.

The commitment of Quinn Ewers and decommitment of Jalen Milroe brought the future of the QB situation at Texas to the forefront in the last week. I continue to be told that Hudson Card has a little something special to him. Multiple sources say he needs to add good weight, somewhat like Colt McCoy had to over his time at Texas. But it is clear that Card, if healthy, is going to be a player at Texas. I expect Card to give Casey Thompson a run for his money as the starter next season, although Chip Brown reported earlier this week that coaches are encouraged by Thompson’s progress throwing the ball of late.

The two newest players to have their stripes removed are both walk-on offensive linemen. They are both redshirt freshman. Chad Wolf played at Lake Travis while Michael Balis is a Plano West product. I continue to believe that adding depth through a strong walk-on program can be a major benefit for Texas in the long run. It provides better scout teams and every so often a real player will emerge who was simply a late bloomer.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Bobby Burton: Wednesday

Only 5 I’m tolds in the whole piece. He’s slipping a bit. 

it would’ve been awesome for him to opine on Ossai’s draft stock. Would’ve confirmed surly lurker status. 

Edited by GRHorn

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

They have a whole semester to start drifting apart. She’ll see plenty of new options and will realize the silliness of sitting around waiting for her high school boyfriend to visit. Billy is solid. 

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

Only 5 I’m tolds in the whole piece. He’s slipping a bit. 

it would’ve been awesome for him to opine on Ossai’s draft stock. Would’ve confirmed surly lurker status. 

ARRRGGGHHHHH!

giphy.gif

A bit? BIT? You've sent me into Perroni-triggered mode, you bastard!!

Everything is "a bit" in his world. Protect your world and our world from this prevarication, my friend.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

The two newest players to have their stripes removed are both walk-on offensive linemen. They are both redshirt freshman. Chad Wolf played at Lake Travis while Michael Balis is a Plano West product. I continue to believe that adding depth through a strong walk-on program can be a major benefit for Texas in the long run. It provides better scout teams and every so often a real player will emerge who was simply a late bloomer.

Both those guys have good size. Balis is listed as 6'5" 299lbs

On 8/18/2020 at 8:08 AM, Ricky's one-hitter said:

The lack of in person evaluating will be a problem here. They're going to need to rely on guys like Stanfield to tell them who to chase. 

I like Wright, and I agree that you have to get a fundamentally sound qb just in case he's the backup. Idk that you can flip a kid from a p5 school to be clipboard Jesus. I'd look at Henigan at Ryan. He's in the top 1% of his class and will come to play school. I'd say we can stack up favorably against Memphis academically.

Here's the pitch " there's not a snowballs chance in you getting significant PT. But you can come here for 2-3,years ,live that caviar lifestyle while you learn from some of the best QB developers in the game(hell, its. A sales pitch, BS is required) 

Then you transfer to an SMU type and be the man. "

Sounds good. But then I'm biased. If you gonna sit the 1st 2 years anyway, might as well sit at texas. Rather then practice in a soybean field while you try and decide if you go.with Bertha or meth teeth that night. 

• Haha 1

have i told yall about the QB at LT? Nate Yarnell. currently committed to Pittsburgh. I like him better than Wright but this will be his first year to be QB1 on varsity. He did nicely subbing in for Card last year. He is 6'6 and has a rocket for an arm. decent mobility. normal HS QB bad habits. he would fit in Yurcich's offense very well. perhaps Texas will check in on him this Fall.

38 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

have i told yall about the QB at LT? Nate Yarnell. currently committed to Pittsburgh. I like him better than Wright but this will be his first year to be QB1 on varsity. He did nicely subbing in for Card last year. He is 6'6 and has a rocket for an arm. decent mobility. normal HS QB bad habits. he would fit in Yurcich's offense very well. perhaps Texas will check in on him this Fall.

What is it with Lake Travis QB shuttle time?  Kid ran a 4.22 at 6'6" 200 pounds and looks awkward as fuck.

posted this in the 2022 thread after looking at their newly released Texas rankings but this is relevant to 2021

also for those of you who really want a good laugh and like me didn't realize how wack as fuck Rivals is, Bryce Foster is their #9 overall prospect in the country (Composite #64.) Ahead of Tommy Brockermeyer (Composite #5 overall.)

They also have Camar Wheaton at #7 overall (Composite #18 overall)

• Haha 1