Shooter reported at Santa Fe, Texas school

South Austin

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

I would like to ask Dan Patrick what's going to happen if the school catches on fire and there's only one way in and out.

If we arm all the teachers then they can just spray bullets into the fire until they put it out. Once again, guns saving lives. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

Yes, auto accidents and mass shootings are the same.  

The same?  No.  Analogous?  Yep, when you are trying to argue against measures that would likely REDUCE deaths because they wouldn't ELIMINATE deaths.

I could use the same argument with respect to vaccines, safety measures in aircraft, kill switches on boats, etc. etc.

You're the one who's making the argument.  Sorry it's making you look stupid.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sachick said:

I hate it too. My kids shouldn't go to school in a prison. And I would feel very very uncomfortable if teachers are armed, even if they are licensed to do so.

When I was growing up in the Valley in 1991 I went to a very old middle school that had the grounds surrounded by razor wire fences and security guards patrolling around. The students tended to act like animals and the result was more serious violence issues not better security. 

If you put ordinary people in a prison environment they will begin to act like inmates and the people in control will begin to abuse power. It's human nature and the Stanford study showed strong evidence of it. 

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

this is the state of affairs. my 11 year old fifth grader's class was tasked with championing a cause at school. my son's group chose gun violence. they were advocating for responsible gun ownership, the banning of high capacity magazines, gun registration, background checks, among other things.

my son had a drawing of a handgun under which it says "you can own this!" and then a drawing of an AR under which it said "but you don't need THIS!"

the kids presented in a free form sort of conference style way, in which us parents could go from table to table and listen to their presentations. it was all remarkably adult. we did this today. 

part of the presentation, one of the kids (not my son), stated "we chose this topic because we don't want to be afraid of our school getting shot up." i got a bit of a lump in my throat. this is on the minds of elementary school kids, yall. they did up an amazing video presenting their solutions.

and the thing is, my son loves guns and the idea of guns, to the point where i've been concerned in the past that i'm being too permissive with the airsoft guns, etc.

but at the end of the presentation, there was an ominous line for gun owners. "because this keeps happening we need sensible solutions now. because otherwise, then we'll have to think about banning all guns."

out of the mouths of fifth graders, dude. they get it.

and they are a mere 7 years away from voting. that should scare the shit out of gun proponents and NRA supporters. 

@Johnny Sack is doing it right, by soliciting ideas and being part of the discussion. use your current seat at the table to try and effect change, or else you won't have a seat at the table at all.

for me, i find it curious that my right to drive my car is far more onerous an an annual basis than my right to own a handgun and a shotgun. just because a right is enshrined in the constitution does not mean it is required to be free of regulation.

Good post, and good on you for calling out Johnny Sack as being part of the discussion.

The funny thing is, many of the "leftist commie gun grabbers" on this site are ALSO gun owners, believers in the 2nd amendment, etc.  And I'm not talking "I have an old shotgun from my grandfather."  Folks who have a full suite of firearms options.

Gun owners have to be part of the solution.  If this continues to be an "all or nothing" proposition by gun owners -- refusing to allow for any meaningful gun control -- then our "all" will turn into "nothing" once we don't have the votes or the public sympathy.  The pro-gun side is being penny wise and billion-pound foolish.  "Win" today, sure.  No new gun laws.  But lose it ALL tomorrow (or 10-20 years of tomorrows from now).  The alternate paths are before us.  We should take the wise one.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I would like to ask Dan Patrick what's going to happen if the school catches on fire and there's only one way in and out.

I would like Dan Patrick to fuck right off.  What a total douchebag.  And he's not even a Texan, no matter how hard he tries to effect an accent.

• Like 1

And I'm sorry that you can't reply without an insult.  You are indeed a gentleman worthy of our praise.

And I didn't argue against implementing the measures in place.  In fact I said that I would support them.  They aren't the same because car accidents are just that...accidents.  

this was intended to be a reply to brisket

Edited by Hate

22 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It would be nice if we had some laws MAKING the parents just as guilty.

But we don't.

Think the NRA will let us pass such a law?

Yeah, me neither.

You’re the lawyer so can’t they use the same type of law they used on that California gamer kid in the swatting case when the cop shot an innocent guy?  

Edit: looks like they can be charged in some states

https://education.findlaw.com/school-safety/school-violence-and-weapons-holding-parents-accountable.html

Edited by SDG

22 minutes ago, Hate said:

I could absolutely agree with all of these.  What will you suggest when all of these have been implemented and someone 22 years old buys 2 pistols and a few 10 round magazines from a licensed firearm dealer and then goes and shoots up a school or concert or movie theater?  Will that be just the cost of freedom?  Or will you be back here calling for the ban of pistols and 10 round magazines?  I have yet to see anyone actually suggest a way to stop these things. Maybe because there is no way to stop these things from happening short of instituting some extremely Orwellian measures.  

i dont understand why the slippery slope argument is always thrown out. i dont see a big call for banning pistols or 10 round magazines. i think we can balance freedom with safety. we do it every single day in every other regulated industry. guns are no different. we as a society should be able to come up with a consensus balancing our rights, freedoms and safety without going overboard in either direction. but this shit has got to stop. 

background checks including mental health exam, including listing anyone who might have access to your weapons

gun safe requirement / responsibility civil and criminal if someone gets your gun and kills someone

yearly training and licensing requirements including home and safe inspection

no guns owned by anyone under 21 or access/use without a licensed gun owner supervising

anyone selling or allowing someone under 21 to have a gun - automatic prison and liability

no assault rifles / buyback program / unless you are licensed for it

no high capacity magazines / unless you are licensed for it

anyone who sells, allows or converts a gun to auto goes to prison with auto sentencing

this shit is easy. no one wants to take your guns away. no one is taking my guns away. my dad is a retired deputy sheriff. i doubt there are many on here who own more guns or have the safety training as my dad was the SO's range master. so i am not interested in taking away guns but i damn sure want to make sure you are responsible with your gun ownership and my kids' lives depends on it. and that is reality not some fake dreamt up revolution that the cabela crew is constantly "preparing" for. 

Edited by Longhorn94

Just now, Longhorn94 said:

i dont understand why the slippery slope argument is always thrown out. i dont see a big call for banning pistols or 10 round magazines. i think we can balance freedom with safety. we do it every single day in every other regulated industry. guns are no different. we as a society should be able to come up with a consensus balancing our rights, freedoms and safety without going overboard in either direction. but this shit has got to stop. 

background checks including mental health exam, including listing anyone who might have access to your weapons

gun safe requirement / responsibility civil and criminal if someone gets your gun and kills someone

no guns owned by anyone under 21 or access/use without a licensed gun owner supervising

anyone selling or allowing someone under 21 to have a gun - automatic prison and liability

anyone who sells, allows or converts a gun to auto goes to prison with auto sentencing

this shit is easy. no one wants to take your guns away. no one is taking my guns away. but i damn sure want to make sure you are responsible with your gun ownership and my kids' lives depends on it. and that is reality not some fake dreamt up revolution that the cabela crew is constantly "preparing" for. 

Once again, I said I would support all of those suggestions.  I just don't think for one minute that when the next school or concert or movie theater gets shot up with pistols by a 22 year old that purchased a gun legally we will be on this board saying "that's a shame, but it's the cost of freedom".  I support some measures to try to reduce people getting killed like this, but I would really like to hear some suggestions on how to stop them.  Would identifying the potential "shooters" early and removing them from society for evaluation and help be supported regardless of how much person privacy is given up to help identify them?  I don't know.

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Gun owners have to be part of the solution.  If this continues to be an "all or nothing" proposition by gun owners -- refusing to allow for any meaningful gun control -- then our "all" will turn into "nothing" once we don't have the votes or the public sympathy.  The pro-gun side is being penny wise and billion-pound foolish.  "Win" today, sure.  No new gun laws.  But lose it ALL tomorrow (or 10-20 years of tomorrows from now).  The alternate paths are before us.  We should take the wise one.

Needs to be repeated. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

Once again, I said I would support all of those suggestions.  I just don't think for one minute that when the next school or concert or movie theater gets shot up with pistols by a 22 year old that purchased a gun legally we will be on this board saying "that's a shame, but it's the cost of freedom".  I support some measures to try to reduce people getting killed like this, but I would really like to hear some suggestions on how to stop them.  Would identifying the potential "shooters" early and removing them from society for evaluation and help be supported regardless of how much person privacy is given up to help identify them?  I don't know.

I think you do the things I suggested plus continue to build a profile to try to redirect potential shooters to a more productive path. Because the shooters are only 1% of those with the same pent up anger. The other 99% dont ever go that far but instead take it out on their families through abuse, etc... 

7 minutes ago, Hate said:

And I'm sorry that you can't reply without an insult.  You are indeed a gentleman worthy of our praise.

And I didn't argue against implementing the measures in place.  In fact I said that I would support them.  They aren't the same because car accidents are just that...accidents.  

this was intended to be a reply to brisket

The analog is:

1 -- restriction of a liberty (both personal and economic -- seatbelts and airbags  are a hassle that have a cost)

2 -- that reduces deaths

3 -- that doesn't eliminate deaths

4 -- that, despite fact 3, doesn't lead to an outright ban of the instrument of death (cars)

That's why it's an ANALOGY. If there were no differences, then it wouldn't be an ANALOGY, it would be "the thing we're already talking about."

So, let's carry those points forward to the gun arena.  I propose:

1 -- restriction of a liberty (both personal and economic -- gun control and safety measures are a hassle and can have economic costs)

2 -- that reduces deaths

3 -- that doesn't eliminate deaths

4 -- that, despite fact 3, doesn't lead to an outright ban of the instrument of death (guns)

See how that works?

We've already done this with cars.  We've already done this with fully automatic weapons.  We've already done this with booze.  We've already done this with spraypaint.  I could keep going, for quite a while.

We can do steps 1-4.  Arguing against it because step 3 is logically fallacious and contrary to the evidence of experience.  Arguing against it because step 4 has the same flaw.

2 hours ago, Tailleur17 said:

Yup. Bullying these days is on a whole different level than it was even, say 10-15 years ago. That definitely plays a large role.

I think it's even more subtle than bullying.  The online environment is making people into some weird species of severe quasi-sociopathic introverts.  They lose their sense of empathy, reality, and community.  Otherwise "normal" kids, maybe with manageable adolescent mental health issues, are losing their ability to socialize and function with their peers and with adults in a real-world fashion and setting.  It's having ramifications all over the place.

It's actually pretty easy to understand in the context of this site:  we say shit to each other that we wouldn't dare say face to face, not out of fear of retaliation, but because the online environment may be the most efficient empathy extractor known to man.

Another factor that I see cropping up is frustration with the "American dream."  Minority kids that are raised to believe in it become severely disappointed and disaffected to learn that it isn't quite going to work out the way it was sold, while those who weren't, dont.  While I am sure that can seem like a royal bill of goods to a black kid, it isn't just black kids that may become disaffected by it.

Edited by TwiceHorn

4 hours ago, TornACL said:

I blame everyone for this, not just our so-called "leaders" but citizens as well (myself included).

That our culture shrugs its shoulders and thinks this is just an unavoidable side effect of life in America is a travesty and a national embarrassment.

https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-prevent-this-says-only-nation-where-this-r-1819576527

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think it's even more subtle than bullying.  The online environment is making people into some weird species of severe introverts.  They lose their sense of reality and community.  Otherwise "normal" kids, maybe with manageable adolescent mental health issues, are losing their ability to socialize and function with their peers and with adults in a real-world fashion and setting.  It's having ramifications all over the place.

Another factor that I see cropping up is frustration with the "American dream."  Minority kids that are raised to believe in it become severely disappointed and disaffected to learn that it isn't quite going to work out the way it was sold, while those who weren't, dont.  While I am sure that can seem like a royal bill of goods to a black kid, it isn't just black kids that may become disaffected by it.

You’d think most of these mass shootings would be carried out by minority kids then, when in fact it’s the opposite. 

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

You’d think most of these mass shootings would be carried out by minority kids then, when in fact it’s the opposite. 

No no, what I am saying is that the "American Dream=Bullshit" is documented to affect minority kids to a strong degree.  But, it isn't just minority kids that are affected by it.  It can't be.  Anyone from a poverty-stricken environment, a broken home, any of the various things that make the "Dream" much more difficult-to-impossible to achieve I think can be affected by it.  Hell, it's a species of it that got Trump elected.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I think it's even more subtle than bullying.  The online environment is making people into some weird species of severe introverts.  They lose their sense of reality and community.  Otherwise "normal" kids, maybe with manageable adolescent mental health issues, are losing their ability to socialize and function with their peers and with adults in a real-world fashion and setting.  It's having ramifications all over the place.

The argument against your first point would be that many similar countries have social media and do not have this problem, however, I do think it’s one of many factors.

I’m not sure I understand your second point. These mass shootings are overwhelming committed by young white men. Almost all of them have some sense of grievance against society, whether it be the popular kids, minorities, women, etc.

6 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

The argument against your first point would be that many similar countries have social media and do not have this problem, however, I do think it’s one of many factors.

I’m not sure I understand your second point. These mass shootings are overwhelming committed by young white men. Almost all of them have some sense of grievance against society, whether it be the popular kids, minorities, women, etc.

Perhaps I didn't word it correctly. But it is well documented in sociological fields that the degree to which a minority child subscribes to notions of the American Dream can severely affect their adolescence and young adulthood when they see that it may not necessarily apply to them or work like they were taught.  They say fuck it and stop trying to achieve and start engaging in anti-social behavior.  But I am quite positive that it doesn't just apply to minority kids.  A white kid who feels entitled to it will probably react even more adversely.

I'm not saying anything is the sole producing cause of this.  But if we're talking about mental health, and "quasi" mental health disorders, these belong in the conversation.

Edited by TwiceHorn

33 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

this shit is easy. no one wants to take your guns away. no one is taking my guns away. my dad is a retired deputy sheriff. i doubt there are many on here who own more guns or have the safety training as my dad was the SO's range master. so i am not interested in taking away guns but i damn sure want to make sure you are responsible with your gun ownership and my kids' lives depends on it. and that is reality not some fake dreamt up revolution that the cabela crew is constantly "preparing" for. 

Not one single thing you listed would have prevented today. Not one. 

I will add that I’m not taking a shot at you (no pun yada yada). Something needs to be done. 

Edited by Lat22

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

No no, what I am saying is that the "American Dream=Bullshit" is documented to affect minority kids to a strong degree.  But, it isn't just minority kids that are affected by it.  It can't be.  Anyone from a poverty-stricken environment, a broken home, any of the various things that make the "Dream" much more difficult-to-impossible to achieve I think can be affected by it.  Hell, it's a species of it that got Trump elected.

I don’t understand this point either. Nik Cruz came from a fucked up background but was financially set up very well. The Columbine shooters, Virginia tech guy, aurora shooter and others came from middle or upper class backgrounds and from 2-parent homes.

Just now, Lat22 said:

False. If the Dad would have kept his guns secure, and lawful gun owners always follow the law right?, as required by law and punishable by the proposed prison and civil liability, then the kid doesn't have a shotgun and pistol.

3 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

I keep hearing that arguement, but I never hear an arguement why not enforce at least some of those reglations.

1 minute ago, Longhorn94 said:

False. If the Dad would have kept his guns secure, and lawful gun owners always follow the law right?, as required by law and punishable by the proposed prison and civil liability, then the kid doesn't have a shotgun and pistol.

Fairly certain the dad does have civil liability in this one

6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I don’t understand this point either. Nik Cruz came from a fucked up background but was financially set up very well. The Columbine shooters, Virginia tech guy, aurora shooter and others came from middle or upper class backgrounds and from 2-parent homes.

College education, high school sweetheart, white picket fence, 2-car garage, 2.5 kids all that idealized stuff.  Regardless of their actual circumstances, there is the perception of what life should be like and then the reality.  And we aren't trying to explain the certifiably crazy, which all of those you mention after Cruz were.

Edited by TwiceHorn

You ban the sale of new ones.  It would be impossible to track down all of those magazines.  
No, the only feasible solution would be to ban the manufacture and sale of ammunition for those weapons with extremely harsh penalties for violating without government approval. I'm talking life in prison, complete asset forfeiture, or even death depending in the crime. Someone selling a box of ammo to a neighbor wouldn't be punished as severely as someone stealing it or even smuggling it into the country.

This would allow the 2nd Amendment right to own guns to remain, and the Amendment doesn't specify the weapons must remain functional and loaded. It would take a while - maybe 50+ years - but eventually gun use would drop to virtually nothing. Those who currently have ammunition would be reticent to use it knowing they can't get more. They wouldn't be able to sell it to anyone, or make their own. Perhaps allow them to turn it in for tax credits if they wish.

It wouldn't stop all gun violence, but each instance would move us closer to the time when ammunition is no longer available. We wouldn't have to worry about tracking down every weapon or magazine. The law-abiding citizens will work harder to make sure their supply isn't wasted, and the criminals would find their supply running dry very quickly.

Btw - that idiot that showed up with a gun should get the shit kicked out of him. I'd feel the same if he'd shown up with a "Ban the NRA" sign.

College education, high school sweetheart, white picket fence, 2-car garage, 2.5 kids all that idealized stuff.  Regardless of their actual circumstances, there is the perception of what life should be like and then the reality.  And we aren't trying to explain the certifiably crazy, which all of those you mention after Cruz were.

I do think that kids in our society are set up with unrealistic expectations of the way their life will be. They blame society for their shortcomings and can’t handle the rejection, failure, or loneliness.

Yep, there needs to be a law in place where dad gets 20 years.  Gun safes should practically be a requirement. 

I agree on parents sharing the punishment if the kids used guns belonging to or provided by the parents.

But I wonder how many of you with teenagers and gun safes don't realize your teenager can get into your gun safe without your knowledge? How many of our parents had a locked liquor cabinet that we could still get into? You might want to ask your kids or change your combo. I always had ways to get into what my parents didn't want me to get into.

1 minute ago, Modessit said:

I agree on parents sharing the punishment if the kids used guns belonging to or provided by the parents.

But I wonder how many of you with teenagers and gun safes don't realize your teenager can get into your gun safe without your knowledge? How many of our parents had a locked liquor cabinet that we could still get into? You might want to ask your kids or change your combo. I always had ways to get into what my parents didn't want me to get into.

If my kid broke into my liquor cabinet I would fucking shoot him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I really hate the idea of making schools more like prisons, which I hear pitched a lot.

Seems like such a shitty childhood to put your kids through and they still may get shot.

But you get them programmed to respond to authoritarian culture at an early age.

That may just have to be one of the risks of gun ownership. If you can’t responsibly keep then out of other’s hands, maybe you shouldn’t own them.

They said on the radio 10 dead - 9 kids and 1 teacher.

Sad.

My wife's a pre-k special-ed teacher with AISD and I'm glad it doesn't happen in elementary schools much, but there's always the chance some parent is going to be pissed off at a teacher or ex-spouse and is going to show up with a gun. The school is locked from outside access and you have to be buzzed in, but not all schools in Austin are that way. Some let you into the office only to be buzzed in later, and someone with a gun could easily get into the school once they're in the office.

I almost brought this issue up in the Teacher Pay thread yesterday when some of the idiots were talking about how teachers don't need more money because they get summers off and knew what they were getting into. But we expect teachers to be mental health evaluators to try to identify the possible problem kids and bodyguards of our kids when this happens. Education may be the highest at-risk-of-gun-violence profession outside of emergency services (police/fire/emt).